MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ken Kesey's Buchla Box
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Ken Kesey's Buchla Box
Tobor

READ ARTICLE: A trip to Canada to see Ken Kesey's sound system leads back to San Jose and Stevens Music
amsonx
Great link Tobor , nice to see this connection, i don't have idea the Kesey has played with modular.
Thanks for this link
iopop
More info on the Cantos page. This thread on matrixsynth gives some info one which modules that was included.

Quote:
"This is the "Sound System" from the bus "Further"..it is made up for 3 stock buchla modules - 190 Dual Reverb, 170 Dual Mic preamp and the 106 6 channel mixer.. the last panel appears to be custom. it was connected to the amps in the bus and allowed the occupants to broadcast their acoustic performances of music, poetry etc"

(Figure I add that info myself, instead of asking.)
Babaluma
I wonder if it still has traces of LSD on it? lol

There's quite a lot about the Buchla/Kesey connection in the "Analog Days" book.
Rod Serling Fan Club
Funny that it's just a glorified mixer with spring reverb. Not so much a synth.
Shasta Cults
it is just a mixer.. it was dipped by Keseys son prior to sale.. it went first to the Audities Foundation museum who sold it to Cantos in the early 2000's where it now resides

as a side note - I am fairly positive that the mixer wouldn't have been on further for the 1964 Acid trip.. rather added after 1965 and likely used for the trip to woodstock.. I'd almost put money on that it was acquired around the time of the trips festival in January 1966
jenamu6
Ken Kesey.....the best merry prankster ever.
Rod Serling Fan Club
Dipped?
Shasta Cults
Rod Serling Fan Club wrote:
Dipped?

http://www.key-z.com/dippedart.html

he dipped his dads coffin the same : http://www.key-z.com/kesey-77.jpg
jenamu6
Damn.....he has too many friend requests......I would love a Kesey as a Facebook friend.
DanielW
Mixer or not, it's lovely to find there's a connection between the Pranksters and the West Coast synth engineers, however small.

Psychedelic drugs and the way music technology (amps, FX, PA systems) developed in the sixties are so tightly linked.

The Pranksters used to set up mics at their acid parties at La Honda and then play back people's conversations and singing through things like tape echoes and, well, this mixer I suppose, to freak everyone out even more.
Tobor
the secret weapon of Kesey was the Lag...
people in acid freaked out when heard Kesey's voice through a tape delay
wyrtti
Wonderful thread. Makes me want to dig out all my delays and, well, travel into the sounds!

Thanks for the Prankster Art links too!
Tobor
w00t
dkcg
I could swear I remember Tom Wolf writing about some voice changing box that Kesey had in "The Electric Coolaid Acid Test".

I remember reading somewhere that Don had also done a lot of design work for the Grateful Dead's sound system, which would make sense with his involvement with the Pranksters.
dude
cool bit of history
franzschuier
dkcg wrote:
I could swear I remember Tom Wolf writing about some voice changing box that Kesey had in "The Electric Coolaid Acid Test".

Yeah I read it last summer and there was a lengthy passage about what it did to the People in and outside of the bus. But it wasnt mentioned don was on the bus. thumbs up
plord
Buchla gear was present at the Acid tests as well, likely the same stuff, they would route conversations from one room off to another and then back to the originating room on tape delay to really mess with people.

Never trust a Prankster.
MindMachine
Also connected was Owsley. He cooked the best types of acid and also designed the stunning custom sound systems for the Grateful Dead (and others I think) live shows. Pretty good stuff.
aumgn
thats a bit f....d up on REAL lsd......man you dont need any weird noises when your on really strong acid like these people were.....your mind is the fx processor

plord wrote:
Buchla gear was present at the Acid tests as well, likely the same stuff, they would route conversations from one room off to another and then back to the originating room on tape delay to really mess with people.

Never trust a Prankster.
jenamu6
Makes me wanna reread The Trip.......all time favourite book.

Damn I wanna have an acid bus too......tour the whole of europe, spreading mr Hofmanns sacrament and fuck that whole shit up.
wyrtti
Damn, now I need to get some of those Merry Prankster books and really try out my delays more.

This thread is good.

All I know about the Acid Tests and the Pranskters is what was written in Phil Lesh's autobiography, Analog Days and some huge Garcia interview from a 1970s Rolling Stone. smile

I love this forum and all you people. smile

p.s. Tobor, make more Buchla albums, I love Tales from Dione so much!
Monobass
MindMachine wrote:
Also connected was Owsley. He cooked the best types of acid and also designed the stunning custom sound systems for the Grateful Dead (and others I think) live shows. Pretty good stuff.

An Owsley/Buchla connection, awesome thumbs up
divisionbyzero
owsley was a friend of don's. he was also a carnivore and had three refrigerators: one for meat, one for non-meat, and one for acid. the third fridge is at the b+a shop in berkeley.
solaris
divisionbyzero wrote:
the third fridge is at the b+a shop in berkeley.

ahah! operational?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2