MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Alternative to a Plan b M10
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Alternative to a Plan b M10
richardm123uk
Hello,

All this plan b talk has made me nervous. Is there an alternative to the M10?.

Cheers,
Richard
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
no

if you really want one, buy one. Just get it through a middle man like bigcitymusic or noisebug. That way if you have issues you can return it easily.
richardm123uk
Cheers,

Going to put in an order today.
consumed
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:
...Just get it through a middle man like bigcitymusic or noisebug. That way if you have issues you can return it easily.

not true. i bought a new defective module from noisebug and was not able to return it.
dont buy it from noisebug then eek!

I forgot they're blowing all their modules out d'oh!
panda30y
consumed wrote:
...Just get it through a middle man like bigcitymusic or noisebug. That way if you have issues you can return it easily.

not true. i bought a new defective module from noisebug and was not able to return it.

why not? Was it under used or clearance stock?
REwire
For replacement if M10, you'd need an Env with a repeat switch: ASystems RS-60 does that plus CV control of decay.

Also "End of Attack" and "End of Decay" outputs: Doepfer A-143-2 has those outs on 4 envs but no repeats. The A-143-1 has the repeat functions but no EOA or EOD and just A/D.

Since nothing has that all in one, Big City Music has Model 10's. They will thoroughly check it out for you before shipping so there's nothing to be nervous about.

Dan
Waz
dont buy it from noisebug then eek!

I forgot they're blowing all their modules out d'oh!

Are they dropping Plan B 100%? Thats sad if they are. I noticed they took all the stuff from their new section and put it into the used. I scored a model 26 really cheap.
from my understanding, noisebug was the official US distributor, when plan B changed everything around and went with the direct buy deal (and big city music as a new distributor) noisebug was left with a lot of plan B modules and they're now blowing em out at fantastic prices! Some for less then used. I didnt know you couldnt return them though!

thats all I know.
consumed
panda30y wrote:
consumed wrote:

why not? Was it under used or clearance stock?

no. i bought it (plan b module) while noisebug was still a distributor for plan b.
received the module.
discovered it defective some weeks later (i was still building my rack when id purchased it)
by the time i discovered the defect, peter had just announced the end of the relationship between plan b and noisebug
noisebug referred me to peter for the problem
module is still sitting on my desk

(the short and somewhat irrelevant story to explain why i couldnt return my module)
dougcl
REwire wrote:
For replacement if M10, you'd need an Env with a repeat switch: ASystems RS-60 does that plus CV control of decay.

Also "End of Attack" and "End of Decay" outputs: Doepfer A-143-2 has those outs on 4 envs but no repeats. The A-143-1 has the repeat functions but no EOA or EOD and just A/D.

Since nothing has that all in one, Big City Music has Model 10's. They will thoroughly check it out for you before shipping so there's nothing to be nervous about.

Dan

M10 also and significantly has the ramp output for morphing, doppler, etc. control during the envelope. Does any other EG have this?
chinard
REwire wrote:
Also "End of Attack" and "End of Decay" outputs: Doepfer A-143-2 has those outs on 4 envs but no repeats.

actually, if you patch EoD back into gate you get repeat. (i do it on my 143-2 all the time)
The 143-2 also has 3 different time scale settings for envelope length (short, medium, long)
Doenst sound too bad with the LPG either.. you get a nice ring on short length env.
Kent
chinard wrote:

actually, if you patch EoD back into gate you get repeat. (i do it on my 143-2 all the time)

I tried this idea and it revealed the rather bad grounding and bleed in my G6 case. I was using some high gain devices and I could alter the signal significantly by turning the A-143-2's knobs. The A-143-2 only had one patch cable going from EoD to the same channel's Gate input and wasn't connected anywhere. It's not the first time that I've run into grounding issues with Euro-Rack power supplies but it was the most egregious example.

Do you experience the same at all?
Malekko
I know Josh at Big city music, personally checks every Plan B module...so you're good to go!
MrDys
REwire wrote:
The A-143-1 has the repeat functions but no EOA or EOD and just A/D.

The A143-1 has EOA.
chinard
Kent wrote:
chinard wrote:

I tried this idea and it revealed the rather bad grounding and bleed in my G6 case. I was using some high gain devices and I could alter the signal significantly by turning the A-143-2's knobs. The A-143-2 only had one patch cable going from EoD to the same channel's Gate input and wasn't connected anywhere. It's not the first time that I've run into grounding issues with Euro-Rack power supplies but it was the most egregious example.

Do you experience the same at all?

yeah i dont get that at all but i am using a DIY#1 power supply in a custom case. Barely had any grounding issues, but i also ground direct to the front panel mounts.
this EoD to gate LFO feature is by design, here is a snippit from the doepfer page on the subject

Quote:
The module contains 4 independent ADSR-type envelope generators. Each sub-module has available the controls Attack, Decay, Sustain and Release. The three-position Range switch allows to select the desired time range (low - high - medium). The adjustable envelope time ranges from several minutes to some milliseconds. On top of this each sub-module is equipped with three digital outputs (high/low): "End of Attack (EOA)", "End of Decay (EOD)" and "End of Release (EOR)". As soon as the criterion is valid (e.g. end of decay state) the corresponding digital outputs turns to "high". These outputs can be used e.g. to daisy-chain several ADSR sub-modules. For this the digital output in question (EOA, EOD or EOR) has to be connected to the Gate input of the following ADSR. Even automatically running envelopes (pseudo LFOs) or so-called "quadrature envelopes" with cyclical modulations of several ring-shaped, daisy-chained ADSRs are possible. To obtain a pseudo LFO simply the EOD or EOR output has to be connected to the Gate input of the same ADSR.

and in the pdf under user examples is this:
Quote:
In this example unit# 1 is used as an LFO (EOD is patched to the gate input via multiples). The controls A, D, S and R are used to define the frequency, shape and lower level (S) of the LFO signal. EOD of unit#1 is connected to the gate inputs of unit#2...4 and works as a master gate signal. The four channel example of A-143-1 can be realized with the A-143-2 as well.
wetterberg
MrDys wrote:
REwire wrote:
The A-143-1 has the repeat functions but no EOA or EOD and just A/D.

The A143-1 has EOA.
yup - four of them, even hihi

As an aside, does anyone have any cool tricks for crosspatching an a-143-1 with an a-143-2? Been looking for something like that for a while, see.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1