MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

A Mess of Modular - Rearranging Nightmare
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author A Mess of Modular - Rearranging Nightmare
REwire

I'm in the middle of a changeout that happens whenever new modules are released. In this case, the Assmaster and a few Doepfers. I want things in certain positions so I move everything else around it. If I used ModularPlanner things would be easier but I move a few things, then move again and again. It'll be settled by the end of the weekend, then some stuff for sale and I can get back to making music. I suppose this kind of building and arranging is creative in itself.

Dan
Johnisfaster
you could say that the creative process itself is just a process of arranging and organizing.
dkcg
I think rearranging helps change thought patterns and ideas. I rearranged mine about a month ago, and I find myself trying new things just from having a different combination of modules closer to each other, kinda like rotating crops. smile
DGTom
That is a great nightmare to have!

Layout & organization does change the way you work, after I changed my set-up into a more circular signal flow rather than linear, left to right I was amazed at the differance in working with it

dkcg wrote:
and I find myself trying new things just from having a different combination of modules closer to each other

This must get important the bigger the system gets I guess? I try & make a mental note anytime I think to myself "I would patch this & that but they are to far away from one another" so I can try & address that the next time I move stuff around.
theabsent
I hate rearranging my modular. I've done it too many times and it takes way too many hours (days!). But last time I took 2 days with modular planner and ended up with only 2 x 2TE wasted space in my 12 x 3U rig. Never would have accomplished that if planned only in my head.

So big thanks and we're not worthy for modular planner.
wetterberg
there's a certain zen that goes into arranging modulars, I feel. Sure, I like grouping relevant modules together, but the serendipity of "just placing things" can lead to a whole new workflow.
Kent
[OT Alert!]

Hey Dan,

Are you using the Onyx 32•4 for recording to multi-track or is it a giant line mixer for you? If you are using it for recording, is it sub outs plus matrix mixing or are you rocking the direct outs? If for recording, are you returning your multi-track to channels?

Just curious as to how you are using it.

[/OT Alert!]
Jari Jokinen
Re-arranging Eurorack modules could be more fun, if it wasn't so difficult to make (non-keyed) connections to the power bus. I could use better quality mounting screws too, but haven't found any.
Kakihara
I do have those re-arranging rages too every once in a while and find it refreshing somehow afterward to do a big chunk of work on the modular smile

Nice picture Rewire btw... Guinness ftw!
REwire
The biggest problem with all this is all my mix of ASys and Doepfer cabs. ASys cabs have 5v bulit in but not Doepfer so some of my more complex modules need the 5v adapter on their row. I also need power adapters to put the ASys in the Doepfer cabs, though I like that more than putting Asys in their own cabs as they are a bitch to line up. I only blew one fuse this time. Also have Doepfer Bus boards laying on the bottom of those ASys cabs and that adds to the 8 in them already.

All done this morning. Such harmoniousness now. However, all will be a mess again when I get the Wogglebug, Flame module, Borg Filter, Hertz Donut and EM600.

Kent wrote:
[OT Alert!]Are you using the Onyx 32•4 for recording to multi-track or is it a giant line mixer for you? If you are using it for recording, is it sub outs plus matrix mixing or are you rocking the direct outs? If for recording, are you returning your multi-track to channels?

Just curious as to how you are using it.

[/OT Alert!]

I monitor all my synths through the Onyx but have direct outs going to a patch bay and direct ins on my audio interfaces so I bypass the mixer when recording. I don't like digital "in the box" summing so I return all channels into the Onyx and record the output. I am thinking of a 16 channel Summing only box to do this though I like the analog summing sound as it is.
kidtesla
REwire wrote:
I monitor all my synths through the Onyx but have direct outs going to a patch bay and direct ins on my audio interfaces so I bypass the mixer when recording. I don't like digital "in the box" summing so I return all channels into the Onyx and record the output. I am thinking of a 16 channel Summing only box to do this though I like the analog summing sound as it is.

I agree and do the same(if I'm understanding your "digital 'in the box' summing" terminology correctly). I try to do all my analog synth work in one pass stereo/big difference(to my ears) than 'software' mixing. If we're talking about two different things...never mind. lol
...Yeah! nice pix of nice gear.
otherunicorn
I'm jealous. Last time I did that, I never got all my modules back into the synth. There are still gaping holes!
dougcl
Hopefully you're using RackPlanner.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1