MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Bleep Labs new A/V synth. The Hard Soft Synth 3i
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Bleep Labs new A/V synth. The Hard Soft Synth 3i
Meat Parade
Check it yoh.

Guinness ftw!

shred
seems pretty cool! would this be a good jumping off point for somebody interested in video synthesis but not really ready to jump into full modules like LZX? Am I right in understanding that you can link this to a modular system both audio and video modules?
Meat Parade
Yes it would be a good starting point, I for one, am not willing to spend thousands of dollars on LZX stuff (yet) so, maybe this will make my feet a little warmer without the financial black hole... Also, I'm not sure how video synths work so I couldn't be the one to tell ya how connectable it is... Although I'm assuming there is always a way.
It's peanut butter jelly time!
snufkin
looks allot like gieskes http://gieskes.nl/instruments/?file=hard-soft-synth-3
shred
yea, looks like it was designed by him in conjunction with bleep labs
lizlarsen
this looks like great fun as an introductory video synthesizer! and you can definitely interact with it via a modular synth. if you added a send/return loop to those RGB connectors on the main board, I bet you could have fun running the different color channels through other effects or insert different signals into them to experiment.

it would be really great to see a lower cost device like this with 1V, DC-coupled RGB outputs and a sync/genlock input. it could then be sync'ed and patched directly to an LZX setup as a natural extension of it with no time-base corrector or video mixer required.
bitSmasher
Phwoar. Definitely buying...
bitSmasher
bitSmasher wrote:
Put my money down, should arrive not long after the Edirol V8 I bought today.
Should have a decent setup together soon hyper
shred
bitSmasher wrote:
bitSmasher wrote:
Put my money down, should arrive not long after the Edirol V8 I bought today.
Should have a decent setup together soon hyper

sweet! post some stills or video once you get it all set up. I'm working on a deal with a fellow wiggler to get some cash for this, so i'll be ordering mine soon as well. this will be my first adventure in video synthesis so i'm pretty excited It's peanut butter jelly time!
blahquaker
here's some videos I made today. all audio and video generated by the hss3i.

barto
8_)
bitSmasher
eek!
Mine will be at least 2 weeks away. Until then I'll ask silly questions -

Can you route audio OUT back to it's IN to acheive interesting effects?
How well does it respond to rhythmic audio input? How useful is the CV input?

I'm curious as to how this'll interconnect with other devices effectively.
shred
blahquaker wrote:

love awesome! looks so fun. +1 on bitsmasher's questions; i'm wondering what the differences are like feeding the audio IN with rhythmic and melodic sources. I'm hoping to use this with the triggers and gates from the Double Andore
blahquaker
bitSmasher wrote:

Can you route audio OUT back to it's IN to acheive interesting effects?
How well does it respond to rhythmic audio input? How useful is the CV input?

I'm curious as to how this'll interconnect with other devices effectively.

in the A/V modes, the audio/sync input just alters speed or nothing at all, depending on the mode (see the user guide). so you can route audio OUT to IN, but I would guess that won't be that interesting. but I'll probably try it sometime anyways.

in the video-only modes, the audio/sync inputs generally work with just one of the parameters. the variations are more noticeable in some modes than in others... some I couldn't tell anything was happening, some it made interesting additions to the pattern.

it seems somewhat unpredictable to me thus far, but more experimentation is definitely required before I could say anything definitive.
Tall Midget
I ended up ordering one along with a Thingamagoop2 and Nebulophone from Bleep Labs. Can't wait until they get here.

blahquaker wrote:

Are you using any of the bends in the video?
blahquaker
Tall Midget wrote:
blahquaker wrote:

Are you using any of the bends in the video?

yes I used the bends some in each of those videos.
bitSmasher
Tall Midget wrote:
I ended up ordering one along with a Thingamagoop2
CV out in to HSS3i, with a simple audio mixer... instant AV nonsense! I really should finish my Thingamas (have 2x v1 and 1x v2) to combine with this.
Tall Midget
bitSmasher wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
I ended up ordering one along with a Thingamagoop2
CV out in to HSS3i, with a simple audio mixer... instant AV nonsense! I really should finish my Thingamas (have 2x v1 and 1x v2) to combine with this.

That's the whole reason I got the Thingamagoop2 was because of the CV output. My friend has a version 1 i've played with and the new version is so much more versatile.
bitSmasher
Awesome, after a bit of a delay my unit is finally shipping. Should be another week or two before it lands in Australia.
Far out I'm more excited about this than any other gear I've bought w00t!!
enque
Ordered a MIDI/Bends kit last week. Supposed to ship tomorrow. (can't wait)
Matos
About to pull the trigger on one of these. How does it use cv? Is it just simply used as a trigger? Is it safe to use in this state of a raw open box, or is it designed to be put into your own enclosure?
gijs
it has no CV, it only has trigger in and out.

you can put it is a enclosure, but it is not designed to make it easy to put in a enclosure. in my opinion a enclosure is not needed.
bitSmasher
3 beers later, and mine is making noise!
1:30am on a Friday night, I think I'll leave the video section until tomorrow.
This thing is mental, will edit this post with a preview vid once it uploads.

Well done Gijs and Bleep! Will be looking to buy more of your kits in the near future
applause

edit: yep it works. cruddy vid taken holding a phone in one hand.
felixer
nice vids thumbs up
but i was wondering: can it also do slow/dreamy stuff? everything up to now seems pretty frantic hyper
Hainbach
This looks beautiful! Also curious about slower imagery, but now I know what to get for playing out.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1