MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Frequency Shifter in a stompbox?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Frequency Shifter in a stompbox?
machetemirage
My Line 6 M13 does have a frequency shifter(and a barberpole phaser for even more quadrature fun), but of course it's digital, and I'm guessing that the delicious phasery tone you get from half mix and values less than 1hz would be even juicier through an analog one. I know there are modules, but are there pedals?

I found this DIY: http://jhaible.de/fs1a/fs1a.html
3vcos
There are probably more digital pedals from big manufactures but there are no analog frequency shifter pedals. Way too complex and obscure to make Feasible is a guitar pedal.
sduck
I doubt very much that the thing they (line 6) call a frequency shifter is actually that - in the product description they also refer to it as a pitch shifter, which is the more common guitar effect. An actual frequency shifter sounds very different than the traditional stomp box pitch shifter, like the digitech whammy.

I suppose you could build the Jurgen Haible FS1a into a stomp box, but it would be a huge undertaking - it's an extremely complex build, and the pcb's are kind of big for your average sized stomp box. However, I bet it would be an excellent effect!
machetemirage
sduck wrote:
I doubt very much that the thing they (line 6) call a frequency shifter is actually that - in the product description they also refer to it as a pitch shifter, which is the more common guitar effect. An actual frequency shifter sounds very different than the traditional stomp box pitch shifter, like the digitech whammy.

There's a separate effect on the unit that emulates a Digitech Whammy. I'm sure I've got a FS here...

And my head already exploded once thinking about trying to build Jurgen's "Varislope Filter/Phaser" I found awhile back digging on muffs. This build/board(s) had the same effect Dead Banana
3vcos
sduck wrote:
I doubt very much that the thing they (line 6) call a frequency shifter is actually that - in the product description they also refer to it as a pitch shifter, which is the more common guitar effect. An actual frequency shifter sounds very different than the traditional stomp box pitch shifter, like ffect!

I know the gentleman who coded / modeled the frequency shifter in the M Series of pedals and POD HD products. It's a frequency shifter and were very aware of the difference. :-)
ndkent
There's nothing about it that couldn't be done in DSP given sufficient DSP. As to converting a module to a stompbox, I'd guess if you could cover the cost what would stop you is the lack of a +- regulated supply.

Here is Valhalla's good free vst
http://www.valhalladsp.com/valhallafreqecho
seancostello
ndkent wrote:
There's nothing about it that couldn't be done in DSP given sufficient DSP. As to converting a module to a stompbox, I'd guess if you could cover the cost what would stop you is the lack of a +- regulated supply.

Here is Valhalla's good free vst
http://www.valhalladsp.com/valhallafreqecho

This was ported from code running on the Spin Semi FV-1 DSP, which would fit in a stomp box no problem. I always wanted to put out the first frequency shifter pedal...

...but Electro-Harmonix beat me to the punch:*

http://www.ehx.com/products/ring-thing

The last few years have seen an explosion of DSP based pedals from EHX. Most of them sound incredible. I know David Cockerell (of EMS and 1970's EHX fame) is designing digital pedals for Electro-Harmonix nowadays. Some seriously amazing DSP coding going on there.

My guess is that the Boss PH-3 also used a frequency shifter for its up/down phasing. This would have been somewhere around 2000-2001. I didn't know that Line 6 had implemented frequency shifting in their M series - it is cool to see this effect become more widespread.

Sean Costello

* plus, I suck at soldering
sduck
3vcos wrote:
sduck wrote:
I doubt very much that the thing they (line 6) call a frequency shifter is actually that - in the product description they also refer to it as a pitch shifter, which is the more common guitar effect. An actual frequency shifter sounds very different than the traditional stomp box pitch shifter, like ffect!

I know the gentleman who coded / modeled the frequency shifter in the M Series of pedals and POD HD products. It's a frequency shifter and were very aware of the difference. :-)

I guess I was wrong! Now I want to hear it. I DID figure that if anyone was going to get this right, it'd be the line 6 guys - I have a podxt, and it's an amazing device, and the fact that they continue to update it and support it despite the fact that it's been superseded in their product line shows a lot of integrity.
machetemirage
sduck wrote:
3vcos wrote:
sduck wrote:

I guess I was wrong! Now I want to hear it. I DID figure that if anyone was going to get this right, it'd be the line 6 guys - I have a podxt, and it's an amazing device, and the fact that they continue to update it and support it despite the fact that it's been superseded in their product line shows a lot of integrity.

I'll make a quick demo.
machetemirage
[s]http://soundcloud.com/charlesl/funky-frequency-shift[/s]

Didn't make a "demo", but here is a fun recording of the gross sounds that come from putting a wah before it
sduck
That sounds fabulous, whatever it is!
machetemirage
That is indeed the frequency shifter, ~260hz down shift, full mix. Just banging and wiggling away at the guitar and wah. Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1