MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tiptop Audio 808 & 909 drum modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Tiptop Audio 808 & 909 drum modules
curbsitter
exciting times ahead, it seems. It's peanut butter jelly time!

Tiptop Audio
komyta
applause
zvukoprocessor
SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

that is very exciting news!
Matos
What!?! Can't wait to see these! Still dying to get my hands on a z8000.
Petur
interesting! applause
apemandan
shazam! i've been looking to get some drum modules..excellent!

Drums! Never maintain cash savings again Drums! Never maintain cash savings again Drums! Never maintain cash savings again Drums! Never maintain cash savings again Drums!
aksen
what? no! i can't keep up with all this!
zvukoprocessor
can we have a trigger/gate version of z8000 to go with those? please waah
8 tracks / 16 steps help
vinayk
aksen wrote:
what? no! i can't keep up with all this!

Agreed! But excited nonetheless - love the 808 sound
komyta
zvukoprocessor wrote:
8 tracks / 16 steps help

I second that. thumbs up
Doepfer had a plan about such a sequencer. Don't know what happened to that project.
zvukoprocessor
thomas_grey wrote:
...Doepfer had a plan about such a sequencer. Don't know what happened to that project.

ohhhh, them with their plans.... its years in their plans... if all manufacturers were going so slow, we would still be using fucking VSTs
polyroy
Suitable sequencers and tiptop drum modules in a skiff = It's motherfucking bacon yo
zvukoprocessor
polyroy wrote:
Suitable sequencers and tiptop drum modules in a skiff = It's motherfucking bacon yo

waah - tears of joy, goddammit The Chewbacca Defense
infection
This sounds promising, wasnt too impressed by the demos of MFB and AS modules.
zvukoprocessor
infection wrote:
This sounds promising, wasnt too impressed by the demos of MFB and AS modules.

Asol sounds OK but - no CV control? common why would anyone want a module without CV control unless its dirt cheep and even then I'm not sure its worth the real estate... MFB doesn't sound good and even with all the CV control it sounds so so..
I'm sure that Gur will fix us with drum modules that are just right! super excited about it. my plans of making a mutant drum machine in euro looks more and more promising, can't wait...
Steevio
this is really good news.... nice one Gur

the Asol HH88 and SD99 are very nice, especially the SD99 (and it does have CVcontrol of pitch ), i'd never part with them, but both the BD88 and BD99 didnt work for me, and i sold them on.
theabsent
zvukoprocessor wrote:
Asol sounds OK

ASol 808 modules sound great! Those are underappreciated. CV would be nice but the lack of CV doesn't bother me.
e-grad
zvukoprocessor wrote:
Asol sounds OK but - no CV control? common why would anyone want a module without CV control unless its dirt cheep and even then I'm not sure its worth the real estate...

Some of them have CV-controlled pitch others not. The reason is that they are replicas of existent designs. Some of them use filters which are on the brink of selfoscillation as sound source. You cannot CV-control those sound sources without having no sound at all every now and then.

I had the BD78 which sounds great.
DT
WOW!!! hihi
komyta
Steevio wrote:
the Asol HH88 and SD99 are very nice, especially the SD99 (and it does have CVcontrol of pitch ), i'd never part with them, but both the BD88 and BD99 didnt work for me, and i sold them on.

I LOVE my BD88s. love
I love the BD88 so much that I bought 3 of them. But I reckon that I use a compressor to make it an RGB (Really Good Bassdrum).
zvukoprocessor
e-grad wrote:
zvukoprocessor wrote:
Asol sounds OK but - no CV control? common why would anyone want a module without CV control unless its dirt cheep and even then I'm not sure its worth the real estate...

... The reason is that they are replicas of existent designs. Some of them use filters which are on the brink of selfoscillation as sound source. You cannot CV-control those sound sources without having no sound at all every now and then...

that explains it then, but they could include at least cv control over decay time, I have mfb drum04 and I like to modulate decay time. CV control over pitch/tune is not important for me, if I want that sort of thing i usually patch something with a LPG

I really like Asol demos thomas_grey did, immediately made me want to get BD78 and the some others too. anyway I'll be cuing behind the TTA's kitchen door Guinness ftw!
theabsent
Would be great to be able to A/B test these with ASol modules. Hopefully TipTop will bring something new to the design. If Tip Top modules will be "just" copies of originals I doubt that there will be significant difference.
zvukoprocessor
thomas_grey wrote:
...I LOVE my BD88s. love
I love the BD88 so much that I bought 3 of them. But I reckon that I use a compressor to make it an RGB (Really Good Bassdrum)...

3?! woah

compressors are essential 8_) we need compressors in euro now!
komyta
zvukoprocessor wrote:
3?! woah

hihi Yes. And I've got 3 RS88 (Rim Shot) as well. I use them with envelopes and VCAs to make tiny percussive sounds. So good.

zvukoprocessor wrote:
compressors are essential cool we need compressors in euro now!

I agree. So far the only Euro compressors have been the Cwejman.
VortexRanger
This is amazing news! Thanks to the wiggling vultures out there for uncovering it within minutes of it being posted!!!
weinglas
thomas_grey wrote:
zvukoprocessor wrote:
8 tracks / 16 steps help

I second that. thumbs up
Doepfer had a plan about such a sequencer. Don't know what happened to that project.

Yeah, i have seen the prototype. But the Mfb SEQ01 would be perfect, too.
Steevio
zvukoprocessor wrote:

that explains it then, but they could include at least cv control over decay time,

the HH88 has a CV for Decay of the open hat, but i want control over the closed hat decay, much more useful to me, so i quizzed Tom at Asol about it and asked if he could do a mod for me, but he said that it would be too difficult to implement, shame.
Low-Gain
Tits or GTFO...
Red Electric Rainbow
WHOA!!!
qu.one
No offense to TTA, but these particular sounds have been well covered in and out of modular. Personally, I would rather see something completely new and different as far as dedicated drum modules go. i don't know what that is exactly, but i know another set of x0x sounds are not what i am after. again, this is one man's opinion.

a digital drum designer perhaps, with granular capabilities or something else that could set it apart.
JJ
Low-Gain wrote:
Tits or GTFO...

Knobs or GTFO?

hmmm.....
thaneco
w00t!! Wow! Trampoline
itijik
qu.one wrote:
No offense to TTA, but these particular sounds have been well covered in and out of modular. Personally, I would rather see something completely new and different as far as dedicated drum modules go. i don't know what that is exactly, but i know another set of x0x sounds are not what i am after. again, this is one man's opinion.

a digital drum designer perhaps, with granular capabilities or something else that could set it apart.

I want a microTonic module.
qu.one
itijik wrote:
I want a microTonic module.

exactly - something different. i was thinking some type of reaktor ensemble in module form.
CometxYh1n1egyPt
Such great news!!
Red Electric Rainbow
qu.one wrote:

Granular drums would be sick. Get that minimal techno going.
jimmyambulance
pics?
lombrose
screaming goo yo It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners Dead Banana Rockin' Banana! It's motherfucking bacon yo
hpsounds
w00t
I will need a new case soon ...

Hédi K.
proturboplus
That are so great news! I spent months thinking about which analog drum/machines I should buy and recently ended up with purchasing the MFB Schlagzwerg (which I like a lot by the way). In fact, that's my little entry into the great world of modular synths. Great to see that other manufactors also start developing drum modules.
Mans
qu.one wrote:

I agree but none the less I must admit this has me excited.
AntManBee
zvukoprocessor wrote:
thomas_grey wrote:
...Doepfer had a plan about such a sequencer. Don't know what happened to that project.

ohhhh, them with their plans.... its years in their plans... if all manufacturers were going so slow, we would still be using fucking VSTs

er, Dieter was making analogue synths long before VSTs and will hopefully be doing so long after VSTs have gone away. When you understand the margins involved in modular synth manufacture and take into account that no one offers as many modules as Doepfer (without whom we probably wouldn't be using euro format at all) then it's a little churlish to grumble.
AT
sweet. this was an out of the blue announcement!
megamouse
I'm a gabber baby, so I can't wait fr the 909 Modules!!!!!

applause applause applause
Monobass
I love 808 but I'd rather have new ideas.
theabsent
Monobass wrote:

I feel the same. That's why I said I hope that it's not just another copy but with TipTop twist.
AntManBee
Monobass wrote:

That sums up my feeling exactly and that's whay I sold mine.
Johnisfaster
I'd say if these have a large pitch range and fm inputs then they will be quite interesting. Otherwise I can likely live without them.

You know what I miss on other drum modules is a pre-vca output so you can still use it like a vco or an fm modulator for something else. I mean the voice is in there already but the internal vca is cutting it short, why not have a second output for pre-vca?
qu.one
Johnisfaster wrote:
I'd say if these have a large pitch range and fm inputs then they will be quite interesting. Otherwise I can likely live without them.

You know what I miss on other drum modules is a pre-vca output so you can still use it like a vco or an fm modulator for something else. I mean the voice is in there already but the internal vca is cutting it short, why not have a second output for pre-vca?

Cwejman BLD.
Soy Sos
Johnisfaster wrote:

This is what make the Pitt Mod Generator so interesting for me.
Johnisfaster
qu.one wrote:
Cwejman BLD.

Really wish there was a decent video demo of that thing.
DT
pics and prices?

can't wait.
seancostello
qu.one wrote:

"Granular" drums could easily be done with hardware 808 drums, and the analog 909 drums, assuming that the drums are set up as simple filter sections that can be "rung" by impulses of various amplitudes. The granular part would then come from the impulses being sent into the drums. Send a glitchy impulse stream in, get a granular drum beat out, complete with perfect overlapping of the "grains."

Sean Costello
Johnisfaster
seancostello wrote:
qu.one wrote:

"Granular" drums could easily be done with hardware 808 drums, and the analog 909 drums, assuming that the drums are set up as simple filter sections that can be "rung" by impulses of various amplitudes. The granular part would then come from the impulses being sent into the drums. Send a glitchy impulse stream in, get a granular drum beat out, complete with perfect overlapping of the "grains."

Sean Costello

Sorry, but what are you talking about?
seancostello
Johnisfaster wrote:
seancostello wrote:
qu.one wrote:

Sean Costello

Sorry, but what are you talking about?

"Granular synthesis" usually refers to having streams of overlapping "grains." A "grain," in this case, refers to a snippet of sound, that fades in and out in volume (this is called "windowing") so the grains can be mixed together without abrupt transitions.

An analog drum section is essentially one or more resonant filters in parallel. "Triggering" the drum refers to sending an impulse into the filters, such that they ring out. The natural sound of these filters is a fairly short attack, and a long decay.

By sending random-ish impulses into an analog drum section, the output will essentially be a bunch of "grains," where each one has a sharp attack and a long decay. You could send audio rate impulses in there, and get really glitchy sounds out.

The above explanation ignores pitch envelopes and the like, which will do weird things when triggered at audio rates. But they might be COOL weird things.

Sean Costello
computer controlled
So many modules, so little money.
matttech
Matos wrote:
What!?! Can't wait to see these! Still dying to get my hands on a z8000.

just did! Guinness ftw!
tIB
^ whore! lol
the83
Time to make some beats. It's motherfucking bacon yo
mateo
I think there's always room for more if it's done well, and ASol emulations are definitely hit or miss, so I say bring it on!
itijik
I have a boom, but what I really need is a thwack sound. Is there gonna be a thwack module? And what about the ticks and the psshhhhs? I love those.

Also, I think there are way too many claps and bong bongs. Can't someone just make a nice finger snap or record scratch module? seriously, i just don't get it
mckenic
I cant afford a 303/808/909 but if these were nicely priced and I could get an OSC303 we're not worthy

With these (where did ya find the info BTW? The graphic posted on the Tiptop site?) and the DR-110 Imna be using my modular for something I never thought I would!
NV
zvukoprocessor wrote:
8 tracks / 16 steps help

Just voicing my support for this idea, particularly with so many drum modules showing up now. I was thrilled when the Doepfer Multi-Trigger Sequencer thing showed up on the radar, but after however many years I'm not too confident it's coming out anytime soon. 4, 6, or even 8 tracks with 16 steps would be fantastic, or even more steps via digital switching similar to the way the Machinedrum works.
ignatius
qu.one wrote:

+1

if these modules have loads of control and are editable to not sound like what they are modeled after then i may be interested but generally i really don't care to own more 808/909 sounds. 'vintage' drum sounds require a lot of processing imo unless you are just going for dead on vintage sounds in your music.. so, it'd be nice if that processing could be shortcut by allowing for different synthesis options from the source.

that's my 2 cents.

i do own a MFB dr04 bass drum which i like but it never gets used 'dry'. always some processing. i don't want it to sound like itself. if that makes sense.
zvukoprocessor
AntManBee wrote:
zvukoprocessor wrote:
thomas_grey wrote:

er, Dieter was making analogue synths long before VSTs and will hopefully be doing so long after VSTs have gone away. When you understand the margins involved in modular synth manufacture and take into account that no one offers as many modules as Doepfer (without whom we probably wouldn't be using euro format at all) then it's a little churlish to grumble.

yes indeed, Dieter is involved in designing analog synth since 1979, but the first euro rack modules showed up in 1996, same year as VST SDK was released. So ironically Euro and VST were born the same year.
I have a lot of respect for Dieter for reasons you have mentioned, there is no denying that he is responsible for us all having a blast playing euro. I have 8 Doepfer modules, 2 on the need asap list and at least 6-8 on the "would like to try" list. But there is also no denying that he is extremely slow developing new modules. Him showing that step sequencer just made me crazy, and then nothing.. for years... I really really really really really need something like that, badly, I love ergonomic and playable step sequencers, thats why at 84hp x 12U I have a Klee, that cost a little fortune. Considering that this is euro land its just mind blowing to think what can be done with a proper euro step sequencer combined with logic modules RCDs and SCMs and the likes. I am just loosing my patience... those TTA drum modules, drumdocta, Pittsburgh Generator, the upcoming 4MS pingable envelope generator, super fast HexVCA.... I do understand that its a small market and stuff, but how can it be that people like Intellijel can announce a modules and in a few weeks - babah, here it is! I understand that everyone has its own speed limitations and I respect that. Anyway whoever will release that step sequencer first will get my money.

What I love about Euro is that we have quite a lot of choices. There is something for everyone and if there is not, I bet there will be sooner or later. A lot of choices, but not unlimited like the mentioned VSTs, and that is a good thing. there is a place for Asol roland drum clones, there is a place for TTA's take on the classics, there is a place for the slightly old school MFBs, there is a place for super modern and extremely tasty BLD, I'm sure Harvestman will treat us for something special in that department soon, and there is of coarse always the rest of your modular that is capable of producing unique percussion tones. Choice is good, big variety but still limited is good, euro is great.
RichyHo
This first batch of TipTop drum modules is going to be exact clones of the original modules adapted to a euro format. Gur's keeping to the original spec to avoid altering the sounds - and to keep the cost down. He may consider minor tweaks like extending some knob ranges, but not if it comproises the sound. The first one is already ready - the BD808: A beautifully compact 4hp module which Gur describes as "Smooth and punchy".
Ankh
I might consider adding a few of these, synthesizing drum sounds "from scratch" uses up surprisingly many modules.

Pics?
itijik
I joke, but I would like a dedicated 808 kick and maybe a snare.
fano
RichyHo wrote:
The first one is already ready - the BD808: A beautifully compact 4hp module which Gur describes as "Smooth and punchy".
Clap
Mitchk1989
Depending on cost this might be cool. I'm already getting the dinsync 'drumdokta' but adding a couple other options could only be a good thing...

I personally don't see what's wrong with the uStep for step sequencing though. I have two of them and they're wonderful.
mikecameron
I wonder if it will have a connection for the STG time buffer...
VortexRanger
Less traditional percussion can be done in all sorts of ways on a modular.. Sometimes you just want that BOOM. I've always hesitated at the gate with dedicated drum modules.. but TipTop has yet to steer me wrong. I'm in.
qu.one
VortexRanger wrote:
Less traditional percussion can be done in all sorts of ways on a modular.. Sometimes you just want that BOOM. I've always hesitated at the gate with dedicated drum modules.. but TipTop has yet to steer me wrong. I'm in.

You can easily get that BOOM with just the right filter self resonating (which is what most of these analog kicks are anyway). I am definitely curious, just not sold on why these are any different than the current x0x drum offerings.
mateo
qu.one wrote:
You can easily get that BOOM with just the right filter self resonating (which is what most of these analog kicks are anyway). I am definitely curious, just not sold on why these are any different than the current x0x drum offerings.

If, by current x0x drum offerings you mean ASol, some of them are pretty far off from what they claim to be (I'm looking at you, BD99). And although it's true that a right filter self resonating will do the trick, I'd just rather not eat up a module to do so, especially if there's a 4HP(!) module that'll do it for me.
Steevio
4hp for an 808, and 4hp for a 909 kick

im in !

those 2 kicks do the business for me. i dont care that theyre overused, theyre overused for a reason, Roland got it right, still keeping dance floors bouncing after 25 years.

got better things to do with my expensive VCFs

thanks Gur !
Popski
want to see and hear these!!
awesome..

added mentally to my giant list of shit I don't really need but will buy anyway
VortexRanger
mateo wrote:
qu.one wrote:

If, by current x0x drum offerings you mean ASol, some of them are pretty far off from what they claim to be (I'm looking at you, BD99). And although it's true that a right filter self resonating will do the trick, I'd just rather not eat up a module to do so, especially if there's a 4HP(!) module that'll do it for me.

This. Especially if there's a VCA built in too. I'm not entirely against dedicated modules especially when it's so compact... although I hope there's plenty of CV-able options on it too.
Monobass
4HP 808 Kick would be kinda tempting... but at the very minimum I want CV over decay and tone.
phase ghost
Steevio wrote:
4hp for an 808, and 4hp for a 909 kick

im in !

those 2 kicks do the business for me. i dont care that theyre overused, theyre overused for a reason, Roland got it right, still keeping dance floors bouncing after 25 years.

got better things to do with my expensive VCFs

thanks Gur !

Right on. Although, some modulation on the high hat modules would be cool.
Mitchk1989
two knobs, CV control over those knob parameters, trigger in, and audio out could all easily fit into 4hp.
Steevio
for the 909 kick we need control over pitch as well as tune, preferably CV but a knob at least.
that was the one let down on the 909 kick, no pitch control. Tune is just the starting frequency of the pitch envelope.

maybe they didnt get it totally right oops
MX582
F*ck yea! if i could have an 808 and 909 kick in 2 4hp modules i would shit a brick. Obviously everyone already has those samples but having it right there in my case and being able to further process the sound by running it through other modules (isn't this the point of a modular system?) would be awesome. and if it really is 4hp then i'm sure the price should be pretty good.
itijik
...permanently patched into plague bearers 8_)
MX582
itijik wrote:
...permanently patched into plague bearers 8_)

SlayerBadger!
MrDys
I wonder if there will be a separate 808 tom module, or if the tuning range of the 808 kick will cover it.

I could happily fill 3U with these things.

Part of me still hopes that Eric Archer's Space Rockers will make their way into modular form...
RichyHo
MX582 wrote:
... and if it really is 4hp....

It really is. I've seen it (the BD808).
megamouse
Steevio wrote:
for the 909 kick we need control over pitch as well as tune, preferably CV but a knob at least.
that was the one let down on the 909 kick, no pitch control.

Completely agreed, this is very necessary! I always loved using a 909 kick as my bass melody instead of traditional Reese/hoover style synths.

Shaking in my boots for the 909 release!
RichyHo
Here's a link to a clip of the TipTop BD808 module in action:

LINK (right-click and 'Save target as')

The other drum sounds that come in and out are from a TR909 (machine not modules), and the bass line is Z3000/Z2040.

Forumcat #2 SOLID!
fano
Whoa want!
Neo
Monobass wrote:
4HP 808 Kick would be kinda tempting... but at the very minimum I want CV over decay and tone.

+1
Veqtor
If they have atleast some cv then 4hp modules with a reasonable price could be very interesting indeed.
MindMachine
apemandan wrote:
Drums! Never maintain cash savings again Drums! Never maintain cash savings again Drums! Never maintain cash savings again Drums! Never maintain cash savings again Drums!

ditto!!!
radiodread87
Gur Goddamn it! we're not worthy always coming up with some new stuff that I want!
This is awesome love the 808 kick. thumbs up
Funky40
Monobass wrote:

+1
JohnLRice
RichyHo wrote:

The other drum sounds that come in and out are from a TR909 (machine not modules), and the bass line is Z3000/Z2040.

Forumcat #2 SOLID!
Nice!
lorenzovektor
Cant waite!!!!
MN3005
Pretty exciting!!! nice sounding drum modules are exactly what my system needs!!!
thumbs up
qu.one
How abou pix of said recorded module...?
mattysal
pics would be awesome applause
radiodread87
This evening I got a pic of the module , Its Beautiful! not sure if I am allowed to share though.... hmmm.....
Monobass
is it black or silver?
radiodread87
Monobass wrote:
is it black or silver?

bit of both actually...... Guinness ftw!
neat
awesome
Meat Parade
qu.one wrote:

Old post but agreeeeeeeed. I want new stuff. KEEP WORKING ON THOSE P-MODULES AND I'LL GIVE YOU MORE MONEY.
RichyHo
meatparade wrote:
KEEP WORKING ON THOSE P-MODULES AND I'LL GIVE YOU MORE MONEY.

The PVCO prototype has arrived and Gur was testing last week....
anselmi
awesome demo! I love the clicky attack and the boomy tail!
miminashi
RichyHo wrote:

Forumcat #2 SOLID!

Damn, that shit sounds good! I'm stoked for these modules.
suboptimal
Excited for these. Are hats in the works? I'm more interested in hats, snares and claps than I am in kicks.
mateo
I hunger for more info! sad banana
brenne
Interesting how there's this sudden influx of drum modules. Or at least from tip top audio and dinsync. Whatever (hopefully) keeps me from spending a grand on a vermona. Or even more on a machinedrum. Probably just a matter of time, though....
DT
news about these modules?
can't wait!

i need a 909 BD, 808 BD and 808 SN!!!!
bunkdata
DId anyone snag a photo from the LA meet-up? I heard they were there but I didn't see them in anyone's Flickr posts. Bring on the photos! SlayerBadger!
radiodread87
well heres the pic I got from Gur , hope he doesnt mind me posting it as there may be revisions to it but it honestly looks like such a neat clean design and the sound is fantastic. so compact too we're not worthy

miminashi
They should've gone whole-hog with an Aleister Crowley theme, seeing as how Peter Grenader seems to have taken the mantle of "Wickedest Man in the World"...

EDIT: Woops, the dangers of tabs! I give up. Russian Roulette I'm super stoked for these modules, though. SlayerBadger!
ignatius
nice little bass drum. sounds good but can't see what all the fuss is about. seriously, i just don't get it

i have a MFB drum 04 bass drum and it may not be an 808/909 clone but it does the business and has gobs of things to tweak and CV control.

just sayin.. not hatin.
anselmi
mmm...no CV inputs at sight...

maybe another module with the classic expansion board...I´m becomming a little tired of this
itijik
anselmi wrote:

maybe another module with the classic expansion board...I´m becomming a little tired of this

Too many complaints about hp usage, turns into an expansion module trend. News at 11 hihi
mudlogger
anselmi wrote:

i agree - i'll stick with Phonogene for drum duties.
suboptimal
I plan to stick to my mult for drum duties, tbh.

I'm fine with the lack of CV control on this. I don't find CVing the bejeezus out of my kicks is something I care about. Much, much prefer to tune, set and forget when it comes to a kick. Hats and snares, though, are much more likely to receive some CV input.
fano
What do you need cv inputs for anyway? It's a kickdrum...
ignatius
itijik wrote:
anselmi wrote:

Too many complaints about hp usage, turns into an expansion module trend. News at 11 hihi

lol. indeed.
Monobass
fano wrote:

Like your kickdrums boring eh? 8_)

Disappointing.
anselmi
fano wrote:

eek!

hmmm.....

you´re right...I can´t find a reason... seriously, i just don't get it

not this shit again
sonicwarrior
fano wrote:

Varying the decay is pretty nice.
E.g. Long, short, short, short, long, ...

Varying the tune is nice for fills or something like that.

I don't see a benefit to have a drum module with no CV inputs in my modular. Why don't use a real 808, Miami, DRM1 MKIII, MFB Drum, etc. then?
ndkent
anselmi wrote:
fano wrote:

eek!

hmmm.....

not this shit again

I'd like to modulate and sequence parameters for something I put in my modular and that I'm going to have to generate a channel of triggers for. It's true they are less HP than say Analogue Solutions.
computer controlled
sonicwarrior wrote:
fano wrote:

I don't see a benefit to have a drum module with no CV inputs in my modular. Why don't use a real 808, Miami, DRM1 MKIII, MFB Drum, etc. then?

Price would be my guess. The way i see it, if someone feels they need all these CV ins for some drum modules, just use a self oscillating VCF or a VCO for your bass drums. seriously, i just don't get it
Makingsound
A modular module without CV in is not really fun. Tune and decay need to be heavily twicked.
tIB
my metalbox 8008 doesnt even have accent... it sounds incredible though. whilst id rather have cv over everything if these things sound right i might be interested- I could do with a decent clap and snare.
fano
sonicwarrior wrote:
fano wrote:

Because money. If you want to vary the decaylength use a vca.

Looking forward to it.
fano
anselmi wrote:
fano wrote:

Oh you know! Let me help you: to turn this out of the box good sounding kick into shit.

very frustrating

I don't see any use for CV other than maybe decaylenght control.
Or do you want CV input for jolly melodies? Fuck that.
worker8
CV control over tune could turn the BD sound into some nice toms.
But no CV input doesn't mean this module is useless. So many ways to process such a sound in the modular world...
fano
worker8 wrote:
CV control over tune could turn the BD sound into some nice toms.
Just like on the good ol' 808 right?
Guys don't forget this is a Roland TR-808 BD clone.
Yohda
Don't forget that this is a modular forum about modular modules...

+1 for cv input for decay and pitch.

Think of FM, animation etc...

It's a modular, it need to be cv-able !
sonicwarrior
computer controlled wrote:
Price would be my guess. The way i see it, if someone feels they need all these CV ins for some drum modules, just use a self oscillating VCF or a VCO for your bass drums. seriously, i just don't get it

The way I see it you could use the real thing with a sequencer on board if there is no CV control. Modules are too expensive to waste them like that.
If price is an issue why not print an 808 on a blank panel and use software. Mr. Green

A clone can sound good AND have more features. And the tune CV range doesn't have to go up to tom level.
fano
Think i'm gonna step out. This doesn't seem like a safe place for a purist like me.

Dead Banana
sonicwarrior
Purists get the original anyway because they are never satisfied with clones. razz
fano
Did i say "purist"? Sorry i meant "poorist". hihi
Monobass
I don't think it's anything to do with being a purist, because surely adding CV control to parameters which were already serviced by knobs on the original is a pretty simple task? Specifaclly 'tone' and 'decay'.

It could be implemented so you don't have the ability to take it outside of the range of the original device.
ringstone
I've built 808 BD clones, two in fact. Although I have added extra parameters for tuning, pitch env vary, extra decay, I'm not sure CV control would be all that useful, though some automatic control over decay/attack click might be nice... Although you can vary these extra parameters not all the combinations sound all that good. Because of the simple nature of the circuit concerned, the parameters tend to interact in sometimes undesirable ways. For example, extra long decay can lead to issues with notes running into each other (better with slow patterns where the notes decay naturally). The twin-T resonance circuit also tends to have varying decay/volume when the pitch is changed, although this tends to be compensated somewhat in the 808 BD by adding a separate feedback loop.

I find it best to play with the parameters until I get a sound I like, then leave it, or at most vary it manually by a small amount. That's why I have two different BD voices so I can alternate between them... and will probably build at least one more hihi

If you want a 808-like BD sound with full CV variation you would be better off building it from a discrete VCO, pitch and volume envelope, and noise for attack click (probably with another envelope) and a VCA or two. Yes, the 808 BD has pretty much all of those, but they are partial or "kludged" up circuits that start showing their deficiencies if pushed too far out of their normal operating parameters.

BTW you will note that a couple of manufacturers make modules/boxes that pretty much just do bass drum sounds (Vermona Kick Lancet and Cwejman BLD).

Cheers
Blair
jimmyambulance
i feel like my getting this completely depends on the price point - it sounds great, is low hp, and would be a nice, simple utility. but if it costs more than i just don't know...
ignatius
i get the love for a big bass drum.. really i do. i had a metal box 8008 bass drum module and it + some kind of distoriton/waveshaping/filter makes for some magic sounds.

the tta BD808 sounds good in the demo. i'm sure it's exactly what many people want and being part of a modular there are a lot of possibilities for processing/shaping. i get the "set it and forget it" but was hoping for something that had a little weird in its corner somewhere instead of "hey i'm just an 808 all the time".. but i guess there is already plenty of weird in a modular especially where percussion is concerned.

if you want CV control of many parameters just get this

anselmi
ignatius wrote:

no thanks...for me all MFB drum stuff sounds really bad (modules and drum machines) with a serious lack of punch and definition

I´d want great sounding drum modules (like the kick in the posted demo) with CV control...is it really too much to ask for?
suboptimal
Buy a BLD, then. It's the shit.
qu.one
I have both, the BLD and the Drum-04 and they both sound great in their own ways... I actually use the BLD as a synth or perc type voice more often than just a kick drum as the Drum-04 sounds really great to me. Can do boooms and thuds.
FatRocky
The Chewbacca Defense Drums!
computer controlled
I had the MFB-503, and the BD on that thing pounded! If the Drum04 is the BD circuit from the 503, then that should pound just as hard.
Mitchk1989
anselmi wrote:
I´d want great sounding drum modules (like the kick in the posted demo) with CV control...is it really too much to ask for?

Essentially yes, because as was already explained, these are very finely tuned and kludged together circuits that for the most part sound like ass when tuned outside of a very specific range.
tIB
conversely i really didnt like the drum04, though I may have gotten along with it better if id never heard/didnt have the mb8008.

id love to try the bld- one of the few things id swap out a qmmg for. (probably)
anselmi
qu.one wrote:
I have both, the BLD and the Drum-04 and they both sound great in their own ways...

a matter of taste I guess...

suboptimal wrote:

thumbs up

Mitchk1989 wrote:
Essentially yes, because as was already explained, these are very finely tuned and kludged together circuits that for the most part sound like ass when tuned outside of a very specific range.

yes, of course, but this is what callibration is for...if the module got a manual decay control then you can put a CV input to do the same with a modulator
sonicwarrior
suboptimal wrote:

Too big, too expensive, too hard to get, too many controls.
Complete overkill for a bassdrum module if you'd ask me.
CV for decay and tune would be enough for me.
tIB
^ fair points though its not really a bassdrum module, more a percussion synth. Id love to pair one with the cynare, seems you could cover a lot of ground with that pair.
miminashi
All this pissing and moaning about the lack of CV control is ridiculous -- the thing is 4-goddam-hp! And it will be very reasonably priced too, I imagine (er, hope). I agree that voltage control of tune and decay would be incredible, but every design involves compromises, and clearly voltage control is not central to this design. Assuming that it's trivial to add voltage control (a huge -- probably false -- assumption), where would you put the inputs? Or depth controls? Soon this thing is 8hp, costs twice as much, and loses the character of the original circuit.
suboptimal
I agree.

I'd love to check out the Cynare.
bunkdata
miminashi wrote:
All this pissing and moaning about the lack of CV control is ridiculous -- the thing is 4-goddam-hp! And it will be very reasonably priced too, I imagine (er, hope). I agree that voltage control of tune and decay would be incredible, but every design involves compromises, and clearly voltage control is not central to this design. Assuming that it's trivial to add voltage control (a huge -- probably false -- assumption), where would you put the inputs? Or depth controls? Soon this thing is 8hp, costs twice as much, and loses the character of the original circuit.

I agree. If you want more, buy a different module. It's a great way to get the sound in your modular without taking up a bunch of space. As long as it sounds good I got no problem with how it's configured.
tIB
suboptimal wrote:

its the perfect hihat for people who dont like hihats!
ignatius
tIB wrote:
suboptimal wrote:

its the perfect hihat for people who dont like hihats!

yes cynare! would love one in euro. had the metal box 8008BD and loved it. it worked amazingly well with the modcan phase/timbre mod and a QLPG. just awesome growl.

i like the MFB drum04 but it for basic boom and some attack. i don't compare it to 808 type drums. just general bass drum.

i'd love to have a BLD but space/cash etc

all that being said.. i'll reiterate.. the TTA bd808 sounds great. fat substantial solid. i'm sure a load of people will dig it and buy it.

also agreed - if you want more (CV shaping etc) buy a different module
matttech
ignatius wrote:
i get the love for a big bass drum.. really i do. i had a metal box 8008 bass drum module and it + some kind of distoriton/waveshaping/filter makes for some magic sounds.

the tta BD808 sounds good in the demo. i'm sure it's exactly what many people want and being part of a modular there are a lot of possibilities for processing/shaping. i get the "set it and forget it" but was hoping for something that had a little weird in its corner somewhere instead of "hey i'm just an 808 all the time".. but i guess there is already plenty of weird in a modular especially where percussion is concerned.

anyone fancy mine? am selling one - not got the space or cash to build a modular drum machine now

pm me if you are interested.
ringstone
Actually, to play devil's advocate here hihi - picking the one most commonly adjusted and/or musically usable parameter for CV control on each would probably be useful and mean they could probably stay at 4HP. For BD that would probably be decay, SD "Snappy", Toms would be tuning, OH decay, claps reverb level... of course keeping the variance to within reasonable parameters so that your snare sound doesn't suddenly break into a smear of distorted white noise... and perhaps some dip switches or headers on the back so that the purists can have their authentic 808 sound as well. I put some headers on my clones so that by moving a jumper the variable parameters could be set back to the "default", useful for testing to make sure the circuit was in fact correct...

Cheers
Blair
Mitchk1989
well, there's no way there will be just an 'open high hat' module... I imagine the hats would have to be done in one module with two trigger ins in order to do the choking behavior properly.
ringstone
Mitchk1989 wrote:
well, there's no way there will be just an 'open high hat' module... I imagine the hats would have to be done in one module with two trigger ins in order to do the choking behavior properly.

Yes, that would just be silly hihi No way to actually get the authentic 808 hihat sound without that interaction. Actually I never tried switching off the connection between the two, easy enough to do... but I'm guessing the end result would be somewhat underwhelming...
Veqtor
cv decay makes a lot of sense
sonicwarrior
bunkdata wrote:
If you want more, buy a different module.

Which one then?
Analogue Solutions BD88 has the same limited layout. MFB Drum 04 doesn't sound like a 808 BD.
Monobass
sonicwarrior wrote:
bunkdata wrote:

Which one then?
Analogue Solutions BD88 has the same limited layout. MFB Drum 04 doesn't sound like a 808 BD.

precisely
bunkdata
I guess it's a matter of tastes. I think the BLD is awesome for kick sounds though I mostly use it for other things (great sample food). I thought the MFB was also a good alternative, but then again, nothing compares to a 'real' 808.

Having CV Decay would be a plus no doubt but I just don't find myself doing a lot of tweaking of my kicks, it's usually more the cymbals and hi-hats so not having it is not a deal breaker for me.

There is also this one the BD-88 http://www.noisebug.net/site/analoguesolutions/index.cfm?id=33

I haven't used it though...
ignatius
Monobass wrote:
sonicwarrior wrote:
bunkdata wrote:

Which one then?

precisely

i guess that is not important to me. seriously, i just don't get it

how often is an 808 kick in any of my tracks? almost never. if it is it's processed heavily
Pfurmel
Veqtor wrote:
cv decay makes a lot of sense

Agreed, it would be a lot more fun IMO.
phase ghost
I don't know about you guys, but I'm way more excited about the 909 kick than the 808. Especially if it's an accurate repro.
FatRocky
w00t It's motherfucking bacon yo w00t It's motherfucking bacon yo
phase ghost wrote:
I don't know about you guys, but I'm way more excited about the 909 kick than the 808. Especially if it's an accurate repro.
Meat Parade
nice size though.
poppinger
phase ghost wrote:

Yeah I'm kind of surprised about this as well. I've always felt I was in the minority with the 808 kick being my favorite of the two.

(Though if I had my druthers, the 808 kick would have 1v/oct input and I'd use it mostly as a piece of a bass line. So maybe I'm not the most qualified to talk about Roland kick drum love.)

I also find the 303 to be kind of boring -- THERE I SAID IT...I'VE BEEN KEEPING IT IN FOR SO LONG.
suboptimal
Go to your room!
poppinger
waah waah waah
Steevio
phase ghost wrote:

if its accurate i'll be straight in there, getting sick of lugging my 909 to gigs.

the Asol BD99 was almost there but the attack was buzzy and tinny sounding, nothing like the TR attack, i wasnt so bothered about absolute accuracy, but it just sounded wrong for a kick drum.

BD88 sounded fairly close, but i just found myself not using it for some reason.

i'm happy with my other Asol concussor modules though.
ringstone
So I wonder if the 808 modules will sound anything like this:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34430&postdays=0&pos torder=asc&start=72

...bit of shameless self-promotion there sorry!! lol

Cheers
Blair
30ohm
Can someone explain to me the reason of having something like this as opposed to a machinedrum - other than being big analog nerds of course?
ignatius
30ohm wrote:
Can someone explain to me the reason of having something like this as opposed to a machinedrum - other than being big analog nerds of course?

er really? it's a module. 1 module. a clone of the 808 kick drum. it's a far cry from a full blown drum machine like a machinedrum that's full of gobs of drum synthesis and sequencing.

it's hardly a "why not get a machinedrum?" type comparison. it's a bassdrum for a modular system... when you need a bassdrum you include this in your patch.

sorry if that sounds snarky but i don't get the comparison at all. not like you can cram a machinedrum into a modular system. besides.. this module is likely to be a wee bit less expensive than anything elektron sells razz
Monobass
30ohm wrote:

well my response is mainly what ignatius said...

but then without any meaningful CV control I do struggle to defend this module in a modular context.
mateo
Even without cv control, you could get a full set of drum sounds in 20HP, triggered via modular sequencing, which is pretty compelling IMO.
ignatius
mateo wrote:
Even without cv control, you could get a full set of drum sounds in 20HP, triggered via modular sequencing, which is pretty compelling IMO.

plus, someone who just wants a couple drums sounds that are dead simple to edit with just a couple parameters it'd be just out of left filed to buy a machinedrum and try to integrate it with a modular. it sort of takes that part of the creation process in the modular.. out of the modular and into another instrument.
jimmyambulance
any update here?
headcleaner
wee point for all those not happy - a sine wave with an seperate ADSR for pitch an amp and your away, loads of variety just there - 808/909. seriously, ive been rocking dancefloors with that setup since i started and everyone on the floor thinks its an 808 or a 909....
suboptimal
Not me, dude. I can totally hear that the transients aren't exactly the same.

(lol)
ignatius
headcleaner wrote:
everyone on the floor thinks its an 808 or a 909....

i bet they aren't thinking about it or what it is.
mateo
headcleaner wrote:
wee point for all those not happy - a sine wave with an seperate ADSR for pitch an amp and your away, loads of variety just there - 808/909. seriously, ive been rocking dancefloors with that setup since i started and everyone on the floor thinks its an 808 or a 909....

Eh.. it's relatively easy to fake an 808, but the 909 waveform is quite peculiar; it's a waveshaped saw, not a sine
aethersprite
headcleaner wrote:

But they can't tell the difference between the 808 and the 909?
fano
mateo wrote:
headcleaner wrote:

Eh.. it's relatively easy to fake an 808, but the 909 waveform is quite peculiar; it's a waveshaped saw, not a sine

Is it? I always thought it was a triangle wave...
sonicwarrior
mateo wrote:
it's a waveshaped saw, not a sine

I thought it is a pulse. At least that's what the schematic from Colin Fraser's site says:

rasseru
its a pulsedrumtrianglewavesaw. everyone knows that
Zenn
Is there any ETA on these modules yet?
ringstone
sonicwarrior wrote:
mateo wrote:
it's a waveshaped saw, not a sine

I thought it is a pulse. At least that's what the schematic from Colin Fraser's site says:

Umm... that "pulse" is the initial click (the intensity of which is controlled by the attack parameter). If you look slightly above that and to the right you can see the VCO, and a diagram of the waveform (which indeed starts as a triangle wave).

Cheers
Blair

EDIT: You can find an in-depth analysis of the TR-909 kick here:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb02/articles/synthsecrets0202.asp
curbsitter
sonicwarrior wrote:

I believe that is for the Attack & Decay.

The VCO flag shows a Triangle waveshape passing through the positive & negative stages directly beside it.

edit: oops! someone already beat me to it!
ringstone
Heh, no worries. Actually I just noticed that link that I posted states that it's a saw waveform, when in fact it's a triangle... in fact i changed my post when I grabbed the link, then thought about and checked again... hmmm...

Cheers
Blair
sonicwarrior
I got so obsessed with the PULSE printing that I missed the triangle wave. hihi So this is a gate signal for the envelope?
Monobass
ignatius wrote:
headcleaner wrote:

meh, you're going to the wrong parties.
mateo
I got my info from that SOS article, so if I'm wrong it's Gordon Reid's fault. A triangle makes more sense, but my point is the same; the waveform is quite peculiar due to the wave shaping, and difficult to reproduce. Here's a pic:

slow_riot
Monobass wrote:
ignatius wrote:
headcleaner wrote:

meh, you're going to the wrong parties.

hihi
DT
news anyone?
hmmm.....
FatRocky
i hope that 909 kick and snare are better than the ASOL ones
thedug
It will be interesting to see how they implement the cv.
Steevio
30ohm wrote:

bit of a bizarre question on a modular forum.

you may as well say 'why bother with a modular at all - other than being big analog nerds of course?
Steevio
FatRocky wrote:
i hope that 909 kick and snare are better than the ASOL ones

i really like the Asol SD99, ok its not an accurate copy of the 909, but if anything it sounds more like a snare drum. very useable.
FatRocky
is there a list of the tiptop drum modules around?
thedug
I haven't seen one. But I do know some folks saw the modules at the synth meetup.
FatRocky
i wonder if they are making the sampled 909 hihats too? hmmm.....
nadafarms
Bump I want
Pailo
Played with the 808 @ the synth meet in LA. sounds super sweet. love it, space saver, sounds perfect.

Great job ger & team.
l e b e r
any word on these?
jimmyambulance
today is the day, right?

.... right?!!
polyroy
Hopefully this will coincide with me getting a job and having enough money to buy a wiggler's 909 they'll be getting rid of!
FatRocky
jimmyambulance wrote:
today is the day, right?

.... right?!!

sorry , the day for what? the commercial release of these modules? eek!
Drumdrumdrumdrum
It would be nice to have it on the UK modual planner at least thumbs up
ThinLazy
FatRocky wrote:
jimmyambulance wrote:
today is the day, right?

.... right?!!

sorry , the day for what? the commercial release of these modules? eek!

The initial announcement for these modules had a halloween theme(see the
tiptop audio page) which led people to think that the modules were
going to be released on Halloween.
fate
I've got word from tiptop audio that the 808 kick will be 'ready to ship' in 4-5 weeks and will be the first of the modules available. The snare/hat modules are in production and will become available shortly after the release of the kick module
jimmyambulance
oh. ok... cry
ersatzplanet
I am sure you will see the whole bunch at NAMM.
polyroy
Audio here: http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/tiptopaudio/~x2ePj
fate
when can we preorder!?
Drumdrumdrumdrum
poppinger wrote:
phase ghost wrote:

Yeah I'm kind of surprised about this as well. I've always felt I was in the minority with the 808 kick being my favorite of the two.

(Though if I had my druthers, the 808 kick would have 1v/oct input and I'd use it mostly as a piece of a bass line. So maybe I'm not the most qualified to talk about Roland kick drum love.)

+1 thumbs up
granville
Ooh hello.. SlayerBadger!

l e b e r
while i can live without cv control over the decay on the kick, it seems a shame not to have it on the hats...

...but to have a 1/3rd of an 808 in 16hp is pretty cool thumbs up
pipwilliams
polyroy wrote:
Audio here: http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/tiptopaudio/~x2ePj

is it me or does the snare sounds a bit weird? Like it's underwater or something...
ringstone
I've really got to say, why a level parameter??? It makes sense on a stand-alone drum machine with a built in mixer like the 808, but as you will require a separate module/outboard mixer anyway, which will almost certainly have that functionality there, it seems a bit redundant. They could offer an extra parameter to vary on each module - in the case of the kick for example, a tune control (which I firmly believe should have been standard on the original 808).

Cheers
Blair
Hainbach
It sounds very good, but I agree with Blair that a tune poti would have been much more useful than level control. Half the fun is in tuning the BD to the fundamental of a song.
zvukoprocessor
Hainbach wrote:
... I agree with Blair that a tune poti would have been much more useful than level control. ....

I would love to have a CV control over decay for BD and HHs, BUT! currently I'm searching for a perfect HH/Cymbals sounds to compliment my Machinedrum (I really don't like the sound of long cymbals on MD) so I really wanted to add just the HHs for live use and the ability to fade in the hats, for example, without turning away from the instruments itself and without the need to jump menus or pay attention to the mixer is a big bonus for me.
Monobass
Hainbach wrote:
It sounds very good, but I agree with Blair that a tune poti would have been much more useful than level control. Half the fun is in tuning the BD to the fundamental of a song.

I think both would be good!

with a dedicated level knob you could use something like the Intellijel Unity mixer to mix up to 7 drum modules in only 2HP.
ringstone
I knew someone would end up mentioning a mixer/module that had no level controls on the inputs lol Fair enough...

Cheers
Blair
sonicwarrior
Monobass wrote:
Intellijel Unity mixer to mix up to 7 drum modules in only 2HP.

Low-Gain Submix7: 6 HP WITH attenuators.

I mean: How many people use unity gain mixers? seriously, i just don't get it
rico loverde

via Matrixsynth...

http://m.matrixsynth.com/2011/11/tiptop-audio-808-drum-modules-exposed .html
suboptimal
Can't wait to hear a workout with the hats.
vav
Wait...you can't tune the Bass drum? The fuck? seriously, i just don't get it
3vcos
The Level control on my 808 like my 606 effects the sound of the drum as well as the volume. I remember my 606 with the levels maxed out sounds very different from turning the levels down.

That said, I'd give up that subtle control anyday for a tune pot of that bass drum.

ringstone wrote:
I've really got to say, why a level parameter??? It makes sense on a stand-alone drum machine with a built in mixer like the 808, but as you will require a separate module/outboard mixer anyway, which will almost certainly have that functionality there, it seems a bit redundant. They could offer an extra parameter to vary on each module - in the case of the kick for example, a tune control (which I firmly believe should have been standard on the original 808).

Cheers
Blair
ringstone
3vcos wrote:
The Level control on my 808 like my 606 effects the sound of the drum as well as the volume. I remember my 606 with the levels maxed out sounds very different from turning the levels down.

That said, I'd give up that subtle control anyday for a tune pot of that bass drum.

ringstone wrote:

Cheers
Blair

Probably due to overdriving the input stage on the single opamp that is used to sum all voices on the 808... you will notice, for example if you turn up the snappy control on the snare and then vary the volume between around 75% and 100% (from where the orange dot is) there is a far greater variation in sound when using the internal mixer than if you split the snare voice out individually. To my ears, anyway hihi

Cheers
Blair
nadafarms
vav wrote:
Wait...you can't tune the Bass drum? The fuck? seriously, i just don't get it

+1
resetlfo
MFB DRUM04 Bass Drum module, is one of the best kick drum modules you can imagine .

Honestly so far i never heard something close to that. it is very unique .

it has the gentle of 808 and power of 909 mixed up. This is all i can say .
Drumdrumdrumdrum
Releasing the 808 first is an interesting move. I may not be the 'typical' modular user maybe, but I'm not a big fan of the 808. The 909 on the other hand SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! applause
el clon
there's a tune knob on the.... ahem.. A.Sol BD88. Mr. Green

but that.. er... takes up way to much space or something?
resetlfo
as self opinion, i see no sense regards of releasing 808 909 etc etc kick drum modules .

You can easily achieve whatever kick drum you like by using filters and short gates after

808 = Borg Filter and RES-4 does the best . Even better sounding than original 808.

808 and 909 sounds is just the filters of Roland System 700 Modular system.
They took it from that and made drum machine,

With our actual, more intelligent filters, you can do every kick drum .

From Ludwig Jazz drums to simple 808
el clon
resetlfo wrote:
as self opinion, i see no sense regards of releasing 808 909 etc etc kick drum modules .

You can easily achieve whatever kick drum you like by using filters and short gates after

808 = Borg Filter and RES-4 does the best . Even better sounding than original 808.

i think it has much to do with a person's workflow, what collection of gear they have in their studio, their musical goals and what they want to get out of their modular. i started building a modular system to make exotic, complex and chaotic sounds rather than drum sounds (though it's also great for processing drums, too). it's a nice thing that it's flexible enough to do anything, but it's also good that there are dedicated modules for things like this so i don't have to use $1500 worth of modules to make an electronic kick drum.
suboptimal
I'm sure the Macbeth backend filter makes a nice kick, too.
pipwilliams
resetlfo wrote:

even BETTER than an 808?? Is that possible? Dead Banana hihi

I don't have the luxury of having an 808 but they are easily my favourite drum sounds. I use samples or emulated kits in pretty much every track I make but nothing sounds as good as the original. I guess that's why they go for so much now. One day you will be mine Mr. Roland Eight Oh Eight!
Mitchk1989
suboptimal wrote:

I wasn't a huge fan of its envelopes for that purpose actually.
komyta
resetlfo wrote:

In fact, TiptopAudio Z2040 is also great for bass drums with one VCA and two EGs.

But as el clon said, sometimes it's a question of workflow. I'm not sure I'd want to patch four or more modules each time I need an analog bassdrum. seriously, i just don't get it
kidtesla
suboptimal wrote:

Indeed it do! Mr. Green
rico loverde
el clon wrote:

i think it has much to do with a person's workflow, what collection of gear they have in their studio, their musical goals and what they want to get out of their modular. i started building a modular system to make exotic, complex and chaotic sounds rather than drum sounds (though it's also great for processing drums, too). it's a nice thing that it's flexible enough to do anything, but it's also good that there are dedicated modules for things like this so i don't have to use $1500 worth of modules to make an electronic kick drum.
I def agree w el clon on this one. If you don't have a massive system dedicating a bunch of modules to drums doesn't work well with me. I love the idea that in 16hp worth of space I can get some very easily achieved drum sounds. I'm thinking the tiptop kick and snare mixed with the drum dokta is gonna totally kick ass for MY percussive needs...
phase ghost
resetlfo wrote:

Horseshit.

Please post your 909 kick with a filter. 808...sure, I can see that. 909...no fucking way.
chrisso
I've made a few good Roland style drum sounds with my modular.
Typically it takes several modules to get it right: at least a couple of envelopes, two to three sound sources, including noise, an oscillator and/or self oscillating filter, a couple of vca's. As the previous poster said, sometimes it's fun and creative, other times you just want to reach for a ready made drum sound.
A modular 909 (hats, claps, snare and bass drum) would certainly peak my interest, but I'd expect vc of decay and pitch.
JJ
Has there been any price announcement?
ringstone
resetlfo wrote:

They took it from that and made drum machine

Where did you hear that? The "filters" in the 808 and 909 are generally nothing more than first-order RC circuits (that is, just simply a resistor and capacitor) within chosen values to provide a very simple fixed high, low or band pass filter. Given the amount of individual "filters" in these machines they would have ended up costing far, far more if they had implemented a full filter circuit such as those found in the System 700 series.

If you are talking about using a self-oscillating filter to provide a sine wave, that's incorrect as well. The 808 for example, generally used half an op amp configured as a "Twin-T" oscillator. This can also be achieved with simple RC circuits as well, as was often done in the machines prior to the 808 (CR-78, TR-77 etc).

Blair
computer controlled
resetlfo wrote:

This really makes no sense to me. Where did you see that the 808/909 is nothing more than the filters of a System 700 modular?

Also, what is an "intelligent" filter?
euroarg
this is a DEMO from tip top tweeter:

BD OH 808 + Harvestman Polivoks. BD to vcf audio in, OH to vcf CV in ,vcf Bandpass to Z-DSP delay, switching wet/dry

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3237683/TTA_808_BD_OH_Polyvox.wav
computer controlled
euroarg wrote:
this is a DEMO from tip top tweeter:

BD OH 808 + Harvestman Polivoks. BD to vcf audio in, OH to vcf CV in ,vcf Bandpass to Z-DSP delay, switching wet/dry

I likey thumbs up
computer controlled
JJ wrote:
Has there been any price announcement?

I'm wondering this as well.
aksen
unless it's changed, from the email sent out:

Quote:
The DrumDokta will cost 1600 Swedish crowns plus VAT (where applicable)
That’s around 176 EURO, 153 UK pounds or 242 USD at todays exchange rate.
computer controlled
Wrong thread?

seriously, i just don't get it

hihi
aksen
d'oh!

i got distracted at work, came back to my computer, thought i was in the drumdokta thread, and...yeah Dead Banana
komyta
Do NEVER get distracted when you're on MuffWiggler's, especially when you're supposed to be "working".
Agony!
aksen
as penance, i will patch for 2 hours straight tonight Om
resetlfo
phase ghost wrote:
resetlfo wrote:

Horseshit.

Please post your 909 kick with a filter. 808...sure, I can see that. 909...no fucking way.

Dunno if it is horseshit

Borg 2 (q max) + Sine Wave > Doepfer A-136 > Gate with short envelope.
resetlfo
[quote="resetlfo"][quote="phase ghost"]
resetlfo wrote:

+

You can get 909 easy with MFB Drum-4
resetlfo
I would love to see Clap module of 808 rather than kick drum anyways.

Clap or hihat of 808 / 909 far more harder to synthesis than kick drums. It would require even more modules to combine .
Kent
Just saw this on the TipTop Website.

thedug
Yup.. that's been up for awhile.. Been excited to see pricing...
Junk Rhythm
thedug wrote:
Been excited to see pricing...

+1
JJ
Looks like I will just simply go for the Vermona DRM1 mk III since I got tired of waiting for any pricing information... Also I wonder why there is a level knob, but no tune knob? I always tune my bassdrums to the song!
Kent
thedug wrote:

oops Not really been following this thread and just saw it after a cursory search on the forum. I wish that there were a bit more in terms of CV input, but I can totally understand why there isn't.
FatRocky
JJ wrote:
Looks like I will just simply go for the Vermona DRM1 mk III since I got tired of waiting for any pricing information... Also I wonder why there is a level knob, but no tune knob? I always tune my bassdrums to the song!

I hope the reason why there isn't tune knobs and cv inputs is because they are going to be really cheap!!!! if they aren't I'm going to be disappointed.
thedug
are there existing modules with tune or cv?
Fred_Abstract
no tune sux but if the kick is as good as the 808 it will worht it, 808 don't have tune if i m right
chrisso
For most people it isn't a decision between real 808/909 and TipTop, it's a decision between samples, or Machinedrum, or Maschine and TipTop.
For ten years most people have been using 808 and 909 samples that they could tune to their track. Not being able to tune 808 or 909 euro-modules would be less flexible than still using the samples.
thedug
chrisso wrote:
For most people it isn't a decision between real 808/909 and TipTop, it's a decision between samples, or Machinedrum, or Maschine and TipTop.
For ten years most people have been using 808 and 909 samples that they could tune to their track. Not being able to tune 808 or 909 euro-modules would be less flexible than still using the samples.

Can you explain?
chrisso
Explain what?
thedug
Quote:
it's a decision between samples, or Machinedrum, or Maschine and TipTop.
Drumdrumdrumdrum
Why has no one suggested the Tempest as an alternative? That thing looks like the bomb!
chrisso
thedug wrote:

Can you explain?

People are accustomed to tuning 808 and 909 samples because the vast majority of people using 808 and 909 sounds are not using the original machines.
radiodread87
I cant trigger a machinedrum or any other external machines from my analog modular pattern madness so it isn't really even a question of using it as an alternative to a sample for me,
I look at it as a really cool and tiny Bassdrum module that I can patch into my modular and run through the modular effects fluently without having to tie up a VCA, filter, EG that could be used for something more purposeful, its hard to get an 808 sound anyway and this makes it easy.
If I really want to tune the sound to something I have the option of making my own samples which are processed TTA modular drum sounds and using them in ableton. winner for me but not for everyone I suppose.
en.
thedug wrote:

http://www.schneidersladen.de/en/tiptop-audio-bd808-808-bass-drum-2
Mercutio
radiodread87 wrote:
I cant trigger a machinedrum or any other external machines from my analog modular pattern madness so it isn't really even a question of using it as an alternative to a sample for me,
I look at it as a really cool and tiny Bassdrum module that I can patch into my modular and run through the modular effects fluently without having to tie up a VCA, filter, EG that could be used for something more purposeful, its hard to get an 808 sound anyway and this makes it easy.
If I really want to tune the sound to something I have the option of making my own samples which are processed TTA modular drum sounds and using them in ableton. winner for me but not for everyone I suppose.

+1 !

89 euros for the BD ! applause
nonbot
holy crap that's a steal
Limey
i could use a kick
mckenic
I dont need a kick but at this price it might be worth investing in a uZeus and just putting together a standalone 808!
tIB
for 89 euros its not even debatable. Win! Hope the snare sounds great and is just as cheap (or cheaper!). I need a snare.
Mitchk1989
so probably $100 or so at AH I'm guessing.

I've already got a drumdokta coming, but these are cheap enough I may pick up a couple for added flavors.
Oldstench
^^^Yup. I'm also sure some clever fellow on this forum is going to cobble together a tune CV breakout within 1 week of its release.
Hainbach
Preordered today - one less thing to worry about when patching live. thumbs up
Tomek Mirt
Quote:
one less thing to worry about when patching live.

exactly!
hpsounds
Here they are in flesh ! w00t SlayerBadger! love nanners

http://www.flickr.com/photos/analoguehaven/6449485149/in/photostream/

Hédi K.
computer controlled
How did you get some?

Damn.
consumed
sweet! can we hear them?
hpsounds
This picture was on AnalogueHavenFlickr account !

Hédi K.
computer controlled
That makes sense. I wonder if those shafts will remain bare? I kinda like the look =o]
tigerhorse
BUT WHEN DO THEY COME OUT???

maybe im the only one..? but im seriously loosing interest in modules, when they are announced months and months before its possible to obtain, and a release date isnt given!!!
radiodread87
tigerhorse wrote:
BUT WHEN DO THEY COME OUT???

maybe im the only one..? but im seriously loosing interest in modules, when they are announced months and months before its possible to obtain, and a release date isnt given!!!

well mine are being shipped to my shop in Oz this week so I would say that most other shops are getting/have gotten theirs. thumbs up
Knobtwister
tigerhorse wrote:

I agree, but these goodies are obviously not far away from being in our cases love
glitched01
I was going to cobble together my own 808 instruments, using the various schematics around the 'net, but at ~$100-$120, these are almost an impulse buy.

Available for x-mas?
nrdvrgr
Bass drum, come to daddy... EFN's are en route!
JJ
Price is right" applause

..now just the tune knob that I need. I hope it can be expanded...
Kan Kaban
Sorry Tip Top,

But this modules guys, were obviously taken from here:

http://ericarcher.net/2009/07/18/808-clone-projects/

Too simple to build...

I´ll do them so we can compare them against tip top´s.

KK.
vasculator
@kk and where do you think Eric got the circuit from? I had a "clone" of the 808hihat from asol and it sounded terrible and nothing like an 808 despite it being the same circuit according to them.
tIB
Clone cloning. d'oh!
vasculator
Yeah it's quite a leap to assume they cloned it from Eric unless you have their module in hand to compare. Probably everyone just looked at the Roland service manual as Eric did.
Kan Kaban
No, no.

I´m not saying they had the circuit from Eric.

I mean, the idea of getting the most simple steps from 808:
Bass, Snare, Hats.

As from FV-1 to get Z-DSP.

They´re good products of course, from good ideas, from others.

KK.
vasculator
i think most analog designers are relying on prior art and standing on the shoulders of many pioneers. going by your logic you might as well diy your entire modular. some of us would rather pay a reasonable price for a well-produced module and tip top tends to deliver this along w/ innovations as the z8000.
Kan Kaban
Kan Kaban wrote:
No, no.

I´m not saying they had the circuit from Eric.

I mean, the idea of getting the most simple steps from 808:
Bass, Snare, Hats.

As from FV-1 to get Z-DSP.

They´re good products of course, from good ideas, from others.

KK.

I´m buying Z-DSP right now.
But I´ll make the 808 modules.
They have to sound almost similar to the real 808.
Of course Tip Top makes them better than me.
thumbs up
Kan Kaban
vasculator wrote:
i think most analog designers are relying on prior art and standing on the shoulders of many pioneers. going by your logic you might as well diy your entire modular. some of us would rather pay a reasonable price for a well-produced module and tip top tends to deliver this along w/ innovations as the z8000.

You´re right, that´s my logic.
If I can make the module by myself, saving $...
I´ll, at last, try.

It´s fun!.

Every kind of music is better understanding your instrument.
Drumdrumdrumdrum
Looking forward to seeing some great demos real soon thumbs up
komyta
tIB wrote:
Clone cloning. d'oh!
lol
computer controlled
Looks like a modular 808 skiff might be in order...

I hope they do the cowbell =o]
radiodread87
I skyped to Gur about the drum modules etc the other day actually.

He has worked very very hard to get the sound of these as close to the original as possible, these are not just simple "copy the components from the manual" modules. Gur got hold of several old 808's with which to evaluate the sounds.

What he found was that by this time in history they all sound different, roland were using parts originally with about a 5% tolerance so they even rolled of the production line sounding a tad different from each other. theres so many variables. With using modern components with less than 1% tolerances every module should be pretty darn uniform across the production.

What Gur did was make it sound as authentic and true as possible but it does go a bit further, the Gain staging in the module is set so lower gain results in the authentic 808 kick sound but if you crank that gain control it accelerates up to the maximum modular levels (from memory 20vpp please dont shoot me engineers though if that sounds ridiculous).
So that gives it some Crunch and more an aggressive sound.

In addition on the module there is a pulse shaper so no matter what gate or pulse or voltage is fed to the gating of the module it always gives the maximum swing of voltage from the circuit. That is a very handy thing as trigger sequencers etc all vary in Euro. Its also probably the reason the Z8000 works so well as a Gate sequencer in the demo's.

for the price or even dearer these are going to be great sounding modules that are very well engineered like everything TipTop puts out.
digital_steve
radiodread87 wrote:
Gur got hold of several old 808's with which to evaluate the sounds.

I know i've got a bd808 pre-ordered with you Cody... but considering Gur has several 808's and has done his comparison, can i have one of those too?

hihi
radiodread87
digital_steve wrote:
radiodread87 wrote:
Gur got hold of several old 808's with which to evaluate the sounds.

I know i've got a bd808 pre-ordered with you Cody... but considering Gur has several 808's and has done his comparison, can i have one of those too?

hihi

they were borrowed 808's I am afraid. they are a rare beast these days actually. sorry steve :(
Eis-T
vav
I still cant fathom how it isnt tuneable.
radiodread87
Gur explained the reasons it wasn't tuneable to me.

- the original 808's werent and so to get the most authentic sound its set as is
- It would have added to the panel size and added to the cost.
I think for every person that wants it there is probably someone that doesn't think its needed. I probably fall into the latter camp. seriously, i just don't get it
radiodread87
edit double postage confused
ringstone
radiodread87 wrote:

In addition on the module there is a pulse shaper so no matter what gate or pulse or voltage is fed to the gating of the module it always gives the maximum swing of voltage from the circuit. That is a very handy thing as trigger sequencers etc all vary in Euro. Its also probably the reason the Z8000 works so well as a Gate sequencer in the demo's.

That's great that there is a pulse shaper, it's really required for 808 clones because too long a pulse will alter the sound drastically from the original. This is the biggest issue with the Analogue Solutions modules.

What is not so good, is the fixed amplitude of the trigger pulse. The 808 modifies the trigger pulse in conjunction with the accent trigger (which is continuously variable via the accent strength knob). Different strength triggers produce slight differences in timbre (as well as volume, obviously). This is especially noticeable on the snare as the noise portion of the circuit responds differently to the tuned portion. And I don't think the volume pot will compensate for this, unless it's varying the trigger strength... in the 808 the volume for each voice is generally connected in an opamp's feedback circuit - once again there is probably some slight variation in timbre there, but mainly from slightly overdriving the "mixer" circuit at higher levels.

Blair
radiodread87
ringstone wrote:
radiodread87 wrote:

That's great that there is a pulse shaper, it's really required for 808 clones because too long a pulse will alter the sound drastically from the original. This is the biggest issue with the Analogue Solutions modules.

What is not so good, is the fixed amplitude of the trigger pulse. The 808 modifies the trigger pulse in conjunction with the accent trigger (which is continuously variable via the accent strength knob). Different strength triggers produce slight differences in timbre (as well as volume, obviously). This is especially noticeable on the snare as the noise portion of the circuit responds differently to the tuned portion. And I don't think the volume pot will compensate for this, unless it's varying the trigger strength... in the 808 the volume for each voice is generally connected in an opamp's feedback circuit - once again there is probably some slight variation in timbre there, but mainly from slightly overdriving the "mixer" circuit at higher levels.

Blair

I think it is more a case of the trigger being shaped to the right width etc more so than amplitude. besides that there is an Accent input and attenuator on it wink
digital_steve
radiodread87 wrote:
they were borrowed 808's I am afraid. they are a rare beast these days actually. sorry steve :(

Blair won't give me his, you won't give me Gur's...

Where's the xmas spirit lads?
ryandfl
So if there is no tuning adjustment, is it tuned to C?
ringstone
ryandfl wrote:
So if there is no tuning adjustment, is it tuned to C?

Should be 56Hz, going slightly flatter over its duration...

radiodread87: My apologies, I misunderstood your explanation to mean all hits would be the same amplitude...

The trigger + accent control is slightly unwieldy but probably the best solution given the range of triggers in Eurorack etc - 5V for example is usually only just enough to kick it into action without buffering...

Cheers
Blair
ekwipt
When will the 909s follow? And what modules
jaash
sorry _ where can i find some sound-demos ?

(i don´t have read the hole thread)
limpmeat
x2
chrisso
Soy Sos
@chrisso
Sounds cool, but very mangled and difficult to tell the sound of the actual modules. High hat is pretty clean I guess....I think.
chrisso
Nothing to do with me, I just posted a link to a demo I heard (that someone else made).
Soy Sos
Cool, thanks for linking to it.
Pynchon
Soy Sos wrote:
@chrisso
Sounds cool, but very mangled and difficult to tell the sound of the actual modules. High hat is pretty clean I guess....I think.

Yeah, could somebody record some straight shots of these?
qu.one
Thanks for the link, but it also says Polyvox in the link title. Goes along with most "demos" on this site though - a while bunch of hmmm.....
clarke68
I got a demo of the 808 bass drum module from Gur the other night. I'm no expert on the sound of an 808, but it sounded plenty awesome to me. If anything, it could sound better than a "real" 808 because it outputs up to 20V point to point (the 808 was only 5V). At one point, he played it direct through a single KRK monitor (an 8-incher, IIRC)...with the gain all the way up it was overdriving something (either the monitor's amp or some other output unit he was using) and sounded positively killer! hihi

I didn't even think I wanted drum modules until I heard that. Never maintain cash savings again
computer controlled
Still waiting...
wintchil
Definitely would like to hear this.

Can you get better than an 808?
haima
wintchil wrote:
Can you get better than an 808?

Can you get +101 better?? Mr. Green the 909 is what I want to hear!

I have a real 808 and generally I wish it was a 909 - But that's just me Rockin' Banana!
radiodread87
Well Gur just sent me the tracking info so the BD808 will be in Equinoxoz definately before christmas. might be a christmas gift to myself actually! thumbs up
thedug
Oh yeah!

http://www.analoguehaven.com/tiptopaudio/bd808/
cv slime 800
$99US is an awesome price. Nice one.
thedug
Totally...
Diao
Hopefully they arrive with a few buddies in the box with them...(Z-DSP's and Stackcables maybe? w00t )
computer controlled
"Email us for availability" isn't what i wanted to read =o]
UMBRA77
I really cant get behind the no tuning....its so cheap that I kinda understand but it would be so great to have the option to pay to have tunable kik drum....The thought of having the same sounding kik drum as other people is the reason my 606 gets no love outside my sampler or computer. I know I will be shot for saying it but as great as the 606,808,909 sound I kinda groan a little bit everytime I hear that same kik or snare sound on endless tracks..........
stainers
I don't get it, doesn't the tone just tune it as much as you'd want? There's so many different kicks you can get out of adjusting the decay and tone, it's nothing like the 606's limitations
chrisso
Well the 808 is famous for having a very tonal bass drum with certain settings. Lot's of recordings even use it as a melodic bass.
To use the 808 bd this way you really need to be able to adjust the pitch - which people have done with 808 samples for decades.
Steevio
^^^ @ umbra77

i totally agree, but for me its the fact that that big untunable sub is going to limit which frequencies you can work with for your bass.

i understand why Gur's done it like this but i have to ask, how easy would it be to make a DIY breakout tuning panel ? anyone got any ideas ?

its a non starter for me otherwise, i must be able to tune my kicks to harmonise with my bass

edit; many people added a pitch control to the 909 for this very reason
Steevio
chrisso wrote:
Well the 808 is famous for having a very tonal bass drum with certain settings. Lot's of recordings even use it as a melodic bass.
To use the 808 bd this way you really need to be able to adjust the pitch - which people have done with 808 samples for decades.

i honetly think tiptop would have shifted 4 times as many units if they'd added a pitch control.
thedug
I have a feeling that if we show Gur support and these sell well then more complicated versions may emerge.
stromcat
Kind of n'thing that I would have been delighted to see pitch control on the BD - however it isn't a total dealbreaker for me, and in many senses I'd rather have the option of this more affordable, smaller module that's more authentic than paying a chunk more for something that people don't seem to miss on the actual 808. (In other words I'm still very much into the idea of getting all three.)

These look brilliant, and it's amazing to me that we can have such a thing in Eurorack...kind of the holy grail - just the bits of an 808 I want, right next to a thundering analog voice.

The only problem is the need for a top-down sequencer - is the MFB SEQ01 skiffable?! Or maybe it means I have to buy a Europa...?!
thedug
I have the SEQ01 in my skiff. I love it.
stromcat
thanks TheDug - any idea of depth please? (apologies for derail, though half-related)
thedug
Don't know for sure. It's only 1 pcb, so it's just the pots then the thickness of the board. Pretty sure it's less than an 1".

Douglas
stromcat
Thanks man.

Back on topic - the only thing that would make these modules better would be 808 colour scheme. Replace the Socket rings with Red, Orange, Yellow and White perhaps?
thedug
Speaking of the SEQ-01 + Tip top. Are they both talking about the same thing when they say "accent"?

I would you patch this? Would you mult the SEQ-01 out into the accent? Or only send the SEQ-01 out into the accent and not the trigger? Or maybe 1 SEQ-01 channel would be the sequence and the other would be the accent?
Boelie035
Id love a 808 boooooom!
Steevio
so has anyone any ideas on how to DIY a pitch control ?,

or maybe i should ask Gur.
radiodread87
Gur did reveal to me his plans to make a very good drum sequencer but I am afraid I cant say too much more at this time Domo-Kun Doctorin' the Tardis
miminashi
Hmm, I'm kind of on the fence about these modules now, despite the low price. If you're going to extend the functionality of the original, why not add something useful that can only be done within the module (like, I dunno, maybe a tune control?), rather than plonking on an overdrive circuit which could easily exist as a separate module? In my oh-so-humble opinion, discrete functionality is the cornerstone of the modular ethos.

Now, despite all that dead-horse flogging, a couple of these guys would certainly make a nice playmate for my 606. At $99 they're almost an impulse buy. Decisions, decisions.
Junk Rhythm
miminashi wrote:
At $99 they're almost an impulse buy. Decisions, decisions.

And when they pop up on the B/S/T they will be
thedug
Dead Banana
corex
stromcat wrote:
any idea of depth please?

You can see the depth pretty good in this photo: http://www.analoguehaven.com/tiptopaudio/bd808/side.jpg

Looks like it's no deeper than the jacks.
Junk Rhythm
corex wrote:
stromcat wrote:
any idea of depth please?

You can see the depth pretty good in this photo: http://www.analoguehaven.com/tiptopaudio/bd808/side.jpg

Looks like it's no deeper than the jacks.

Plus take into consideration that the IDC ribbon connector will add roughly 10mm to that.
mckenic
Great price really & I am thinking of a beauty case for 808/909 drums to complement my DrumDokta.

The only thing for me is - I could never afford he originals so Ive only always had samples that I could tune. Im not used to these sounds that restricted... Yeah I could sample them but I already do that so is it worth the bother... seriously, i just don't get it
raulsworldofsynths
They are now on the AH website peeps. I'm not getting one but I know a lot of you will.
raulsworldofsynths
I lied. Couldn't resist. Just ordered. Woo!
Drumdrumdrumdrum
mckenic wrote:
Great price really & I am thinking of a beauty case for 808/909 drums to complement my DrumDokta.

I was thinking of a beauty case full of 808/909 but there are only 4 power spots and I may need 6 or 7?

How about a box set, pick your own beauty case full, for $800ish
ringstone
Steevio wrote:
so has anyone any ideas on how to DIY a pitch control ?,

or maybe i should ask Gur.

It should be just a matter of changing the value of one resistor. This solution is a little simplistic, because all the parameters actually interact (decay, pitch bend, pitch) but it has been good enough for most people who have modded their 808/built 808 clones over the years. Given the tolerances in 808s and component value drift over the years there would naturally be some slight differences between different 808's so I would have thought a trimpot would be a good compromise - it would satisfy the need to have a "perfect" 808 clone (the pitch could be adjusted exactly to spec) and also accommodate those who would like a "near clone" with flexibility in tuning...

Cheers
Blair
computer controlled
What's up with the punk rock skull?

=o]
radiodread87

some of what arrived for my latest TipTop audio order this morning at Equinoxoz. thumbs up
computer controlled
Nice toobz doood!

thumbs up
radiodread87
I really like the tubes actually, reminds me of the tubes that got washed down onto the Ninja turtles. I can only hope that these ones give mutant human capabilities....... Guinness ftw!
Junk Rhythm
radiodread87 wrote:
I really like the tubes actually, reminds me of the tubes that got washed down onto the Ninja turtles. I can only hope that these ones give mutant human capabilities....... Guinness ftw!

They will make your BOOOOOOM, thicker and bigger!
radiodread87
Junk Rhythm wrote:
radiodread87 wrote:

They will make your BOOOOOOM, thicker and bigger!

Damn right!! got one for myself for christmas.......oh the joys / (perils) of being a eurocrack distributor, they do go BOOM thats forsure! nearly blew my head off through the phones at about 7am this morning woah

my tube actually had written on it "this shit goes BOOOM" hehehe
metaBit
My bd808 should arrive tomorrow! Can't wait!
digital_steve
Yay...
So, snare and hats? ETA?
radiodread87
digital_steve wrote:
Yay...
So, snare and hats? ETA?

January Steve, at least that was the plan when I last spoke to the master of all things TipTop Gur thumbs up
digital_steve
January... the month of the empty wallet
applause
radiodread87
digital_steve wrote:
January... the month of the empty wallet
applause

you and me both steve MY ASS IS BLEEDING
radiodread87
Just messed with the BD808 a bit more, the pulse shaping and accent now make much more sense to me now.

when you just have a gate plugged in, it is normalled to the Accent jack and with the accent knob turned all the way up you get the full amplitude from the module.

When you plug a jack into the accent input then it behaves differently and depending on where the accent knob is set a corresponding pulse to the accent input at the same time as the Gate input gives you the desired boost in amplitude.

I quite like this system because with a clock divider (or trigger sequencer and divider) I can accent the drum sounds in crazy patterns.
Junk Rhythm
These are going to be a lot of fun with the Z8000 and numerous sequential switches.
Metamusik
Really psyched, that 808BD-BOOM is the one thing that other drum-machines tend to lack.
glitched01
miminashi wrote:
Hmm, I'm kind of on the fence about these modules now, despite the low price. If you're going to extend the functionality of the original, why not add something useful that can only be done within the module (like, I dunno, maybe a tune control?)

Great point, but additional circuitry equals more space, equals more cost. As you said, at 99$, these are a no-brainer if you want the authentic sound in a super-compact module.

If you want tune control, it's a matter of replacing a certain resistor with a pot. You could follow the original 808 schematics; the resistor in question is R165, according to ancient hyperreal.org files, but it would take some sniffing out to find the correlating resistor on the Tiptop module, being SMD. CV control is a different ball-game. I think someone described why.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting mine; I've been listening to way too much Meat Beat Manifesto and it's getting my juices going!
haima
I wonder if CV control of pitch could be rigged up with a vactrol in parallel with said R165.

Wouldn't be 1v/oct by any means, but it's something - could work well with something like a sequencer or PP as you could just tune the notes by ear.

Haven't had a chance to look at the schematic or breadboarded it so this is pure conjecture hmmm.....

I'm sure tiptop thought about this and decided against it for whatever reason (space, authenticity to the original, effectiveness of cv pitch options etc).
fooddude
First post and just registered (special me, whoop tee doo, lol)...new user and I am a super n00b to modules and don't even own any. BUT, found this site while doing research for these awesome TipTop modules and read this entire thread. I am totally psyched! The few demos sound awesome! The reason and why I am planning to take a dive into the modular world is primarily for these rad TipTop 808/909 modules!

Never owned an 808, but did used to have a 909 and really want one again but cant afford it, maybe ever again. So the hunt for the closest 808/909 BDs are my priority. Read the the ASol BDs suck, so I am not even going to try them. But, so far, the 1 or 2 BD808 demos sound very nice! If the 909 is going to be just as good, I am def going to sweep them up too.

I also read many are disappointed with no tuning pot... but, to me, I would rather have the closest genuine 808 sound, over extra features. Otherwise, you can just get something that's close, but not quite there, with extra features..like the ASol BD, 522, etc., etc... hehe. I like it how the BD808 is, from a purist pov. It doesn't deter people paying $2k for a real one.

Any expected date for the 909 modules?

Also, I kinda want to make a little cute drum unit with the Doepfer Mini/Beauty case..but it only has 4 busses, and I know you can put a lot more than 4 4hp units in there..is there a way to extend/modify the Doepfer Beauty case to power/buss more than 4 modules?? ...or will i just have to go for the Happy Ending? (I really want that Beauty Case tho, it wod look sweet for use just for drum modules..kinda like a old square vintage Roland rhythm composers)

Also...what are good midi-to-trigger/cv/gate modules to trigger these drum modules? Is the ASol MT9 decently good? It's the only one I know of and plan to get. I plan to trigger and sequence it from my MPC60 and my MPC's keyboard midi-controller.

Lastly...I notice the description of the MT9 states that it is already preset to have each trigger (T1-T9) on a specific key (ie: T1 is already set to middle C, etc..)... what if I have more than 9 drum modules and buy a 2nd MT9 to trigger more drum modules????? Would the 2nd MT9's trigger channels be on the same channels as my 1st MT9?? ..or can I set and program each trigger channel to specific keys, or even set the entire 2nd MT9 midi/instrument/receive channel on a different midi channel?

Please post more demos of the BD808 pweese smile

And of course..any updates on any newer 808 or even 909 modules grin
computer controlled
Ah, i see you made it over from GS =o]
hollowman
just payed for my BD808 a short while ago 8_)
Clockgate
Just bought one from Schneiders, woohoo It's peanut butter jelly time!
BugBrand
Can someone who's got a one of the BDs say how the circuit PCB is attached - would be interested to know before purchase. I presume it is fixed at the bottom by the jack nuts, but looks like the pots are little alpha types which are not panel mount. Is the top of the PCB just dependent on fixing by the jacks?
(not that that would necessarily be a problem - just curious).
Cheers!
radiodread87
BugBrand wrote:
Can someone who's got a one of the BDs say how the circuit PCB is attached - would be interested to know before purchase. I presume it is fixed at the bottom by the jack nuts, but looks like the pots are little alpha types which are not panel mount. Is the top of the PCB just dependent on fixing by the jacks?
(not that that would necessarily be a problem - just curious).
Cheers!

attached by the alpha pots but also by a very secure screw which is invisible on the front panel. its all very sturdy.
MicroFi
Clockgate wrote:
Just bought one from Schneiders, woohoo It's peanut butter jelly time!

I almost did, but I think I'm going to hold out so I can order both the BD and snare together.
Hainbach

Filling up the last 4HP with this today.
thedug
Awesome. Mine should arrive today as well. I am really excited about the snare and the hats. But they won't drop till Jan.
tehyar
This is probably going to be an impulse buy when I order the two new intellijel mods next week.
thedug
which intellijels are you getting? uFold? That looks pretty sweet I was trying to decide if I should ditch my STG for that. The STG is freaking huge and also I think it is wider than a100 spec, and I don't like the bent face plate mounting they use.
tehyar
Plog and uFold. The uFold isn't my first, so I'll probably do some comparos, see what I like. (TWF and ade-10 are in the shootout)
fooddude
More solo-demos and opinions/reviews please grin
fooddude
are those little knobs metal shafts or plastic? ..they look metal..I hope
Junk Rhythm
fooddude wrote:

Most likely plastic.
Hainbach
[s]http://soundcloud.com/hainbach/tiptop-bd808[/s]

Here we go: first on its own, then through a Malekko VCA at full exponential, then through a Cwejman DMF-2 with no filtering engaged, but hitting saturation.

In each pass I slowly turn up first TONE then DECAY. First note has accent cv.

Recorded straight into a Fireface 400. If you click "download" you can hear it in full .aif glory, without the compression artifacts.
tehyar
That sure was some tasty meat thru the DMF!
Hainbach
fooddude wrote:

Plastic, but they feel very solid. More "set it and forget it" then wigglededoo.
BLVCKJEVNS
Can't wait til mine arrives next week with the 4ms peg, pittsburgh analog delay, and intellijel buff mult!!!
Hainbach
tehyar wrote:
That sure was some tasty meat thru the DMF!

Yeah, I liked that a lot, too!
Even without filtering, the DMF-2 makes every signal bigger and creamier once the red lights start blinking and saturation sets in.
Hainbach
Ok, I have been playing around with the BD808 for two hours now in large patch and its great! Sounds as its supposed too and can yield very deep and yet precise tones. I did not miss the pitch feature at all. In fact, I like not having to care about it.

Especially when paired with the DMF-2, it just sits in the mix.

I will continue patching my own BDs, as I like new flavors and can spent hours on kicks, but for live and patching with my band I will resort to this baby.
fooddude
Any comparison and opinios against a real 808?

...or even other 808 clones? (ie: mfb522, miami, bd88, etc)
demorgan
Just got mine! Guinness ftw!

Yay!

Happy Holidays!
lionelfischer
any snare samples yet?
hollowman
lionelfischer wrote:
any snare samples yet?

seriously, i just don't get it hmmm..... PLEASE???? razz
Lambda
Looking forward to hear these in action smile
thedug
I just got mine mounted and it sounds great.
fooddude
More booty shakin demos please......

fap fap fap...
booty wiggler

... I need to get one asap.. hate being broke.
Juxwl
606 bd is pretty weak. This would fill the void for me!
computer controlled
This and the Polivoks VCO are on my (very) short list.
fooddude
bump
computer controlled
Ordered!
BTByrd
fooddude wrote:
More booty shakin demos please......

+1. I'd love to hear some more demos... even though I'm going to place my order in the next day or so! These modules will be the perfect companion to my Machinedrum (which, while awesome in its own right, doesn't have the booty-shakinest kicks around).
fooddude
side by side comparison against a real 808 too please (haha, I know, that's asking for a lot)..opinions welcome though.

I wonder how it sounds hitting some tape! wink ...I'm sure lovely.
BTByrd
Ordered!
fooddude
Emailed a little with Gur... no eta on the 909; except a new module will be soon released right after the next, over the next year.... but he told me the 4-knobber voices (like the 909 SD and BD) will most likely be 8hp; as he assumes that with the extra knobs, 5 knobs wouldn't fit in a tiny 4hp unit (additional accent knob will make it 5 knobs per voice)

Also asked about the double voices on the 808 (ie: toms+congas, claps+maracas, rims+claves) and he said they will most likely keep those double voices on the same module with a switch, as in the original. That's good. Very purist and also 2 voices in one!

I like how he sticks to the pure form factor as well... gives you a sense how dedicated he is to make the the form, the sound and everything else as close as possible to the real thing! smile
computer controlled
Mine should be here on Friday.

w00t thumbs up
itijik
Surachai made a pretty good demo thumbs up
http://trashaudio.com/2011/12/tip-top-audio-bd808-2/
ryandfl
itijik wrote:
Surachai made a pretty good demo thumbs up
http://trashaudio.com/2011/12/tip-top-audio-bd808-2/

My experience with the 808 is only from samples, but that is more clicky than I expected.
computer controlled
I think what you're hearing is the shitty yootoob compression.
subcon
sounds pretty damn sweet to me. And very authentic
Animal
If the snare sounds this good i'll be a happy camper
vav
I'm still not convinced about the lack of tuning, but i bought one anyway. Damn and Blast Gur 8_)
raulsworldofsynths
Since I'm currently considering another one I'm almost glad a tune dial wasn't added. I wouldve had to buy 4 to make a little drum set of kicks and toms.
But then again...
wintchil
Messed around with this yesterday. Sounds great to me, definitely worth the price if you want the 808 bd.

The only thing that might help is if there was a white line where the indicator is on the knob so you can see where it is at quickly. Not a big deal at all, but just a thought.
wavehead
If you want the 808 bass drum in a module that can be tuned just get the metalbox one (he makes them in euro format not just frac).

Hope the claps get released soon, it usually takes a ton of modules for me to get something like a clap going.
rico loverde
heres a quick video of my first play with the bd808, drum dokta and dixie. modulation orgy is modulating dixies PW

sequencing by AS Europa

computer controlled
Booommm... here it is:

nrdvrgr
Got my BD yesterday, great module... thumbs up
computer controlled
Quick recording. Just the BD808 on bass drum, D16's Nepheton on SD, HH and HC and x0xb0x.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/computer-controlled/bd808-demo[/s]

I'm going to expand on this further, but i wanted to throw this up quick for tonight.

thumbs up
Oldstench
Very nice sounding module. Good tracks fellas!
corex
Quick recording. Just the BD808 on bass drum, D16's Nepheton on SD, HH and HC and x0xb0x.

Love the acid! applause love
thedug
I can't wait for the handclaps
glitched01
Will all the modules be around the same price-point?
suboptimal
The BD808 is fabulous! Having access to this very, very useful kick drum sound without needing to patch and tweak is really sweet. That it's got that classic sound is a double cherry bonus. Couldn't be more pleased.

I set up a little acid diddly with a pair of uSteps, BLD and PP last night. The uStep is a great compliment to the BD, though I'm afraid as the line expands I'll need to buy a few more uSteps to keep up - here's hoping more trigger sequencer solutions are on the horizon.
qu.one
suboptimal wrote:
The BD808 is fabulous! I set up a little acid diddly with a pair of uSteps, BLD and PP last night. The uStep is a great compliment to the BD, though I'm afraid as the line expands I'll need to buy a few more uSteps to keep up - here's hoping more trigger sequencer solutions are on the horizon.

SEQ-01/02
chinard
got mine yesterday, sounds great especially through the overdive on a DMF smile
Of course now i am itching to get a plague bearer to partner with this beastie.

I'm not crazy about the lack of knobs, I mean i understand why he did it but it is a little inconvenient.
Oh well.. serge knobs it is smile
rico loverde
chinard wrote:

I'm not crazy about the lack of knobs, I mean i understand why he did it but it is a little inconvenient.
it sounds soooo good thru the plague bearer!!! i also put Davies knobs on mine and they work great.
suboptimal
qu.one wrote:
SEQ-01/02

Didn't particuarly like it, so I'm moving toward a wall o' uSteps instead.
bendedavis
Just got my BD808 today. Ran it through Metasonix R51 and Corgasmatron

[s]http://soundcloud.com/b-41/tiptop-bd808-demo[/s]
Drumdrumdrumdrum
Great use of the R51

If the BD808 could change pitch you would have had a piece there.
ryandfl
That sounds great bendedavis.
computer controlled
I'm gonna run mine through the PB r4 soon. I'm curious how that will sound.
Diao
Drumdrumdrumdrum wrote:
Great use of the R51

If the BD808 could change pitch you would have had a piece there.

At that point since you're not really after retaining the original 808 sound, you really could have just used the corgasmatron alone for that. I've got pretty similar results just using an EG and the corgo.
computer controlled
Here is mine going through the Plague Bearer r4.

http://tweakcollective.com/mp3/new/computercontrolled/BD808-PB%20demo. wav
matttech
chinard wrote:

why doesn't it have knobs then? (sorry if this has been covered, but there is 23 pages to look through!)
computer controlled
Probably to look similar to the way the 808's pots look, sans the colored inserts.
raulsworldofsynths

Sounds great! I may need to add a PB to the mix as well. I have an open spot.
woah
Transistor
My cuppa' tea bendedavis- you might have gone and sold me on this one!
computer controlled
raulsworldofsynths wrote:

Sounds great! I may need to add a PB to the mix as well. I have an open spot.
woah

Do it!

thumbs up
phase ghost
So....Does anyone know what the next module is going to be? Kinda hoping it's the 808 hats.
z3r01
phase ghost wrote:
So....Does anyone know what the next module is going to be? Kinda hoping it's the 808 hats.

Well, I heard it through the grapevine that both the Snare & Hats are ready to ship. Mr. Green
fooddude
Hurry up 909! It's motherfucking bacon yo

we're not worthy 909 we're not worthy 909 we're not worthy 909 we're not worthy 909 we're not worthy 909
jaash
sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aw2-8Yg7As&feature=player_embedded

&

Quote:
Yes, we are doing the entire line of both of these machines. The SD808 and HATS are coming out this week and the week after. 909s are about 8 weeks away.

Cheers,
Gur

knows someone the frequence of the 808 bottom ???

mine is like #g
Votek_Mendo
I hope the snare will be next!
suboptimal
Yes! Super excited to get the snare and hats.
radiodread87
I ordered some SD808 and other odds and ends from Gur the other day so they are definitely available and will be with you local stockist soon smile
fooddude
jaash wrote:

Quote:
909s are about 8 weeks away.

Cheers,
Gur

!

Just in time for me to have saved a little $$ and spend (just a little) again grin
fooddude
bacon & beer thumbs up

It's motherfucking bacon yo Guinness ftw!
hollowman
radiodread87 wrote:
I ordered some SD808 and other odds and ends from Gur the other day so they are definitely available and will be with you local stockist soon smile

waah i want to be happy to hear this.... but i am broke!!!
radiodread87
hollowman wrote:
radiodread87 wrote:

Oh you know....I am getting smarter Paul, ordered a few extra for my local customers that might like one held for a little while *whistles innocently*
Bambam
You know us too well, Cody.
applause
hollowman
radiodread87 wrote:
hollowman wrote:
radiodread87 wrote:

Oh you know....I am getting smarter Paul, ordered a few extra for my local customers that might like one held for a little while *whistles innocently*

It's motherfucking bacon yo thumbs up Guinness ftw!
Cody you are a champion! we're not worthy
Drumdrumdrumdrum
So that would mean you are saving me a SD808, ToppoFilter, ModOrgasm, uFold, uVCA.........etc etc etc..........
radiodread87
Drumdrumdrumdrum wrote:
So that would mean you are saving me a SD808, ToppoFilter, ModOrgasm, uFold, uVCA.........etc etc etc..........

Ha we shall see Glenn.... razz Btw its the modulation ORGY, ModOrgasm I only had once and it cost me alot of money in QLD..........
Drumdrumdrumdrum
I like the orgasm more fap fap fap...
a scanner darkly
I just assumed that ModOrgasm was the name of expander for Korgasmatron... hihi
IMUR
Does any one know what kind of knobs will fit the bushings on those potentiometers?

I'd like to bling mine out when I get one.
rico loverde
IMUR wrote:
Does any one know what kind of knobs will fit the bushings on those potentiometers?

I'd like to bling mine out when I get one.
im using Davies on mine
t-bone
not sure if this vid has been posted but here is the sd 808 in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is25NNA7VkA
Drumdrumdrumdrum
The black glove is very stylish. So is the SD and BD Mr. Green
hollowman
you mean the bd and sd were in that vid???
I never got past the glove and trying to understand the need for the 2 A112's. Mr. Green
fooddude
t-bone wrote:
not sure if this vid has been posted but here is the sd 808 in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is25NNA7VkA

Oh Em Geee

hyper

Me want!!!!
ryandfl
Man I wish Tip Top would release the rest of the set soon. I'm really tempted to get a Machine Drum...
fooddude
how much are the snares anyways? Hope all the units will roughly be the same price, $100.

w00t
en.
^ it seems they are a bit more xpnsv than BDs... http://www.schneidersladen.de/en/tiptop-audio-sd808-tr-808-snare-2
distorted
somehow my ustep and my 808bd arrived on the same day. This thing sounds amazing!
computer controlled
What's with the black gloves? What has minime started???
fate
when will the 909/808 snares be available?
suboptimal
The SD808 is available at AH now.
thedug
hats next week.

Rest of the 808 modules then the 909s later.
vav
Ordered!
Neo
thedug wrote:
hats next week.

Maracas?
tuj
the bd808 could really benefit from a tiny little compressor module, something with fast attack, hard knee, adjustable threshold, ratio, release and output gain.
stainers
thedug wrote:
hats next week.

Awesome, looking forward to the 909s.
What we (I) really need once they're all out is a beautiful Tiptop version of the schlagzverge with all the good stuff crammed into a proper semi modular euro mountable unit - that would be a drum machine!

http://www.mfberlin.de/Produkte/Musikelektronik/Schlagzwerg/Schlagzwer ge/schlagzwerge.html
zvukoprocessor
tuj wrote:
the bd808 could really benefit from a tiny little compressor module, something with fast attack, hard knee, adjustable threshold, ratio, release and output gain.

+1, euro compressor is long overdue. except Cweiman, but that is huge and too expensive. Few were promised but never showed up waah
mrcharles
Matrixsynth has a video posted from NAMM with Gur speaking about the 808 and then the PVCO...

http://m.matrixsynth.com/2012/01/tip-top-audio-drum-module-using.html
FatRocky
mrcharles wrote:
Matrixsynth has a video posted from NAMM with Gur speaking about the 808 and then the PVCO...

http://m.matrixsynth.com/2012/01/tip-top-audio-drum-module-using.html

that PVCO is brilliant!
BTByrd
What's the word on the clap?
suboptimal
It itches.
target_destroyed
hihi
sgnhh
are there demos of these being fed with high rate clocks ? I want to hear how fast they trigger.
Richard Devine

posted this on another thread but thought it might be useful here too.
itijik
Great jam, Richard woah

It reminds me of a Futurerama episode I just made up in my head, where LL Cool J's head in a jar comes out with a new single, "I'm going back, finale".
phase ghost
Those hats sound so good.
raulsworldofsynths
The page is up now for the hats at AH. But not for sale yet!
Getting closer!
hyper
SunSpots
I ordered my hats from the sweden store smile Let's hope they make it
itijik
All 3 808s are available at AH thumbs up
dustytretch15
Looks like a new eurorack case for me
vav
Dammit, they keep going up in price Dead Banana
slaughterhousesam
had my bd808 for couple of days now. never played with an 808 myself, but...

there is charm to this sound, it just seems to work, naked or through avalanche of plague bearers and bit crushers.

i think its the same charm that guys back in the day would have found. and the reason they used it at all.

complete tonal accuracy? i couldnt say. there is no signoff for drum boom smile

definitely in the ballpark of what i think of as 808, and a joy to use.and by ballpark i mean the teensiest little field imaginable. maybe more of a small 6 inch strip of turf on a window box. on the third floor.

there are people in love with the 808 as a touchstone to the past

there are people in love with the 808 as a sequencing machine

there are people in love with the 808 as a way to drop the boom-boom down on a dancefloor

bd808s for those last guys ;P
raulsworldofsynths
Just ordered.
applause
fate
would love to trade my arturia spark for these nanners
radiodread87
Just got these in Friday and the hats and snare are really awesome and authentic.

Havn't had a chance to upload it yet but did a video using the synthwerks FSR4C-B module to trigger the 4 sounds from the pads. Works great! and you can play the sounds rather than have to sequence them (couldn't do that to my knowledge on an 808 )

good fun!
suboptimal
The snare through the 199 is fabulous.
Clockgate
I have the BD808 already, the SD808 and hats808 are on the way. I have my Kilpatrick K1600 trigger outs mapped to the bass, snare and hats on my Alesis SR-16. Happy days!

nanners
z3r01
radiodread87 wrote:
Just got these in Friday and the hats and snare are really awesome and authentic.

Havn't had a chance to upload it yet but did a video using the synthwerks FSR4C-B module to trigger the 4 sounds from the pads. Works great! and you can play the sounds rather than have to sequence them (couldn't do that to my knowledge on an 808 )

good fun!

Yeah, I have been thinking about the TipTop 808 & Synthwerks FSR combo. I wanted to ask if anyone has already tried that, then I saw your post. Mr. Green

Looking forward to seeing the video. Thanks! thumbs up
BTByrd
Moar hat demos.

And I need claps on 2 and 4.
anti_climacus
So are the 909 modules slated to come out now? The TTA announcement only indicated the bass drum, snare, and high hats for the 808 clones (shame-no toms). Now that those are all released, I guess the same for the 909?
Mans
Me wants 909!
Veqtor
Mans wrote:
Me wants 909!

me too!
berfmurret
i was a bit miffed about the lack of cv at first.. but the price is right and the sound is MY ASS IS BLEEDING !
sonicwarrior
The only thing that is missing is an appropriate trigger sequencer.
BTByrd
sonicwarrior wrote:

I use my Machinedrum. thumbs up
Soy Sos
sonicwarrior wrote:

MFB SEQ-01
I wouldn't be suprised if TTA has something in the works though.
SYN7HOR
slaughterhousesam wrote:
there is charm to this sound, it just seems to work
Agreed. In tonights patch I randomly triggered it from the A-149-2, to accompany a drumloop playing from phonogene, and it just blended in way better than any filter-kick I've done.

So yeah, me likes the BD808.
DougD
Is there any way to mod or expand them (the hihat module especially) to take CV over frequency and decay at least (sorry if that was answered eariler, I don't want to read 26 pages)? I just don't understand the point of these modules in a Eurorack context... they could be so much better if they actually interacted with the rest of my system.

The decision not to buy the 808 hihat module hinged on that point for me. I really wish a manufacturer could make awesome CV-controlled drums.
Monobass
yeah I totally agree DougD. These are a really attractive module for a wide audience though and they are hopefully helping fund crazy new tech like the poly stuff.

I hope when these are well into their stride there are 'expert' versions of key modules like the 808 kick with more actual modular potential.
suboptimal
What was once a horse is now nothing but a shapeless pile of gore.
Monobass
I was thinking more

ryandfl
screaming goo yo horse gore screaming goo yo

I agree, I central modulation matrix expander would be an awesome add on, but I haven't heard anything about extra headers or such.

You could simulate the CV options by adding a vca to each output, use extended decay times, have a vc eg controlling the vcas, add a couple mixers and the run it all through some high and low pass filters. No big deal. $2000 euro 808/909. sad banana

Maybe the 909 modules will have a different approach.
vav
OMFG SD808 THROUGH PLAGUE BEARER we're not worthy
radiodread87
Hey guys heres a quick video of me playing the tiptop modules from the synthwerks FSR4C-B module, My beats suck but you get the idea. and the modules sound awesome!

Interesting thing I noted was that you can get a very playable response by patching the Scale/pressure out of the Synthwerks module into the Accent input of the TTA 808 modules. Also the CV if the bandpass filter in the HH808 module is great fun to mess with.
Drumdrumdrumdrum
Hey. Thx for the demo Cody.
radiodread87
Drumdrumdrumdrum wrote:
Hey. Thx for the demo Cody.

hey no dramas Glenn, your a drummer obviously you could tap out a much better beat than me lol but yeah anyway hopefully give some people some options to use the drum modules with that isn't the standard "drum machine" way.

Had fun doing it but then I have fun in every patch.

It was actually very difficult to stop the drum modules clipping the camera, that BD808 really does go BOOOOM
cillianjohn
applause
FatRocky
radiodread87 wrote:
Hey guys heres a quick video of me playing the tiptop modules from the synthwerks FSR4C-B module, My beats suck but you get the idea. and the modules sound awesome!

Interesting thing I noted was that you can get a very playable response by patching the Scale/pressure out of the Synthwerks module into the Accent input of the TTA 808 modules. Also the CV if the bandpass filter in the HH808 module is great fun to mess with.

where did you get the HH's are they ready on the market?
radiodread87
FatRocky wrote:
radiodread87 wrote:

where did you get the HH's are they ready on the market?

had these in stock for a week man wink
SunSpots
well thanks for selling me on those pads... just add them to the list of modules I'll have to buy this year. I always saw those and sorta... knew they could be fun but didn't want to buy, but with the TTA drum modules they make more sense! Not a bad idea for other fun utility as well.
ss
suboptimal
Yeah that demo sold a few FSR modules, for sure. Neat. Wish I had the space (and cash).
WaveRider
suboptimal wrote:
Yeah that demo sold a few FSR modules, for sure. Neat. Wish I had the space (and cash).

analog MPC!!!! lol
tuj
Does anyone know if TTA will be doing a 909-style cymbal?
Veqtor
tuj wrote:
Does anyone know if TTA will be doing a 909-style cymbal?

It's mostly digital but might be cool anyway. The 808 cymbal... that's something I need! Also, rimshots+cowbells
tuj
yeah I know the 909 cymbals are samples, but they sound so good.
komyta
WaveRider wrote:
suboptimal wrote:

analog MPC!!!! lol

Exactly !
Well, minus a couple parameters.
SunSpots
WaveRider wrote:
suboptimal wrote:

analog MPC!!!! lol

What Euro looper modules do we have to choose from with easy punch in/out? and multiple channels? This is actually starting to be a really cool idea...
dude
i don't know if this has been covered in the 28 or so pages of this thread but does anybody know if the 808 clap is coming out ever or anytime soon? i may be able to have some hp for that thing if so.
Drumdrumdrumdrum
I have a feeling "the clap" is the next module on their list. Prepare your medicine cabinet now.
nihad
909 BD come oooooon!!!
haima
nihad wrote:
909 BD come oooooon!!!

+ 1

This is the one I'm waiting for. Such an efficent, usable sound. Fits in a busy mix much easier than the 808 most of the time IMHO.

Nice snare too. And clap. And cymbals, hats, swing, toms..... Argh! Anyone got a spare 909???

Dead Banana

Hahaha
Soy Sos
Had a chance to check out the kick and snare, very nice. What I'm really interested in hearing about are Gur's original drum voice designs. 909 kick also FTW!
synaptech
Can't wait for the 909 kick/snare. It's looking like I'm going to need a dedicated row just for all these drums. very frustrating
ryandfl
haima wrote:
nihad wrote:
909 BD come oooooon!!!

+ 1

This is the one I'm waiting for. Such an efficent, usable sound. Fits in a busy mix much easier than the 808 most of the time IMHO.

Nice snare too. And clap. And cymbals, hats, swing, toms..... Argh! Anyone got a spare 909???

Dead Banana

Hahaha

Agreed, I'm pumped about the 909 modules. I'm Probably going to get the 808 BD too, but I sort of think of it as an effect more than a kick, at least at longer release settings. I bet the 808 toms/congas will be sweet.
vav
Yeah i need those 909 modules.
fooddude
I know! Screw the 808 clap or any more secondary 808 sounds for now... bring on the 909 KICK NEXT! It's motherfucking bacon yo

..I'm just going to get the 808 and 909 kick and snares and a little Doepfer minicase... nice, simple, cheap, only 4 modules.

...and then just send pulse-samples from my mpc60 to triger dem. Just 4 modules, the rest of the 909/808 sounds I don't use much anyways and switch to different samples sounds (I dont want all my songs to always have the same percs), and if I do need the other sounds I can just use samples. But the BD/kick is def needed, since it is so easily heard and the backbone of 4/4 jams. I aint a module head, and kinda scared if I get a bigger rack than the mini-case, I am sure I will keep buying modules lol (which I am trying to avoid - always avoiding GAS..GASing for the TipTop modules is already bad enough lol)
anselmi
another vote for the 909 kick and snare as the next modules!!! screaming goo yo
a scanner darkly
Don't remember if this was asked before - what are the jumpers for? Didn't find anything about it in the manuals.
lionelfischer
is it normal for the power cable to plug into only one column of pins on the BD808 ? mine arrived with just one column of pins for the power cable

if its normal, does it matter which side of the power cable you put the single column of pins into?
suboptimal
Hm, no that doesn't sound right, offhand.
haima
Yes, eurorack power uses the both rows of the header in parallel - so you can safely move the power plug to the normal position, covering both rows.

Just make sure you have the plug around the right way of course! FUUUCCKKKK!!!

*** EDIT: ah, I see... with the photos posted below, looks like TT have gone with single row power headers on these babies. All good! ***
lionelfischer
here is how my bd808 module arrived
there is only one column of pins instead of two:

is this a non-working module i need to get fixed? i dont want to plug it in and accidentally blow it up.

Dead Banana
anti_climacus
It's fine, that's how mine was shipped as well.
lionelfischer
w00t
rico loverde
lionelfischer wrote:
here is how my bd808 module arrived
there is only one column of pins instead of two:

is this a non-working module i need to get fixed? i dont want to plug it in and accidentally blow it up.

Dead Banana
they all have one row...
swiv
Hats arrived yesterday.. amazingly good sizzling fun.

Love the hats choke circuit.. the individual accent ins.. individual outs for filtering, folding, eq'ing.. Had some fun starting at 6.30 am(!) this morning patching up a faux sideband compressor with the multed BD out through an envelope follower -> inverter -> vca.

Haven't lost this much sleep over the modular for a while thumbs up
lysander
Damn this thing is ridiculously tempting ! Might have to get one hyper
fooddude
909? seriously, i just don't get it

It's been several weeks/months since Gur said it'll come out around feb... and it's already close to March.

Guinness ftw!
synaptech
a fuzzy beacon wrote:
Don't remember if this was asked before - what are the jumpers for? Didn't find anything about it in the manuals.

Not sure what they are on the BD or SD, but on the hats you can disable the choke mode when both hats are played by changing the jumper. thumbs up
itijik
I'm waiting for the 909s too.
But while I was waiting, I accidentally all the current 808s Mr. Green
SYN7HOR
Got all three 808's now, and I'm quite excited! I just love their sound, and they're a perfect mate for my Timetable.
drox
i want the 808 clap
Volt Gaat Kraken
Can someone record some BD808 + SD808 +HH808 and post a link? No freaky modulated stuff, just some unprocessed beats

Am I correct there's no audio on the tiptop site?
metaBit
Volt Gaat Kraken wrote:
Can someone record some BD808 + SD808 +HH808 and post a link? No freaky modulated stuff, just some unprocessed beats

Am I correct there's no audio on the tiptop site?

I haven't been able to find any on the TipTop site.

Though I guess that the idea is that they sound just like their TR-808 equivalents it would be nice to have examples of these in particular.

I have the bd808 and it is tuned to Ab which from what I have heard is different from Roland's bass drum. I can't recall what the original was tuned to...
SYN7HOR
Here's a little demo. The latter part is all TT808.
[s]http://soundcloud.com/syn7hor/ding-grace[/s]
fooddude
la la laa la laaaaaa

hmm hm hmm hm hmmmmm

909... where are youuuuuuuu... I miss youuuuuu smile

tick tock... tick tock... tick tock......

applause
BTByrd
I posted this already to the Euro forum, but thought I'd add it to this thread. It's all modular with the TT 808 modules triggered by the Machinedrum.

And a pic.

nanners
Popski
lovin these demos..

a lil krafty in that last one.. thumbs up
Steevio
can anyone send me a link to the BD808 manual please ?

ive tried to download it from Tiptop / AH etc. but i just keep getting a blank sheet,

thanks in advance
z3r01
Steevio wrote:
can anyone send me a link to the BD808 manual please ?

ive tried to download it from Tiptop / AH etc. but i just keep getting a blank sheet,

thanks in advance

A link as in this?: http://www.tiptopaudio.com/manuals/bd808.pdf
Steevio
still just getting a blank page

weird

think my connections just gone mega slow
Steevio
got it now thanks
nihad
NINE OH NINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zombie zombie zombie zombie zombie zombie zombie zombie zombie zombie zombie zombie very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper hyper screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo
fooddude
909 seriously, i just don't get it
ekwipt
BTByrd wrote:
I posted this already to the Euro forum, but thought I'd add it to this thread. It's all modular with the TT 808 modules triggered by the Machinedrum.

And a pic.

nanners

what's the iPad sequencer?
mystico
BTByrd wrote:

Your little mate is jammin' with you Chugging Beers
BTByrd
ekwipt wrote:

what's the iPad sequencer?

Genome! Here's an article on CDM about it. It's pretty dope, but I couldn't resist the Modcan Touch Sequencer for a native Euro sequencing solution.

mystico wrote:

Your little mate is jammin' with you Chugging Beers

Chugging Beers
BTByrd
fooddude wrote:
909 seriously, i just don't get it

eyes...

Also, what's the word on the Clap!?

And anyone offering a BD Pitch Control Mod can have my
nonbot
have a youtube and soundcloud demo of the drums and z3000's in my post here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55709
sinemod
+ 1 for the pitch Control mod
Steevio
BTByrd wrote:

And anyone offering a BD Pitch Control Mod can have my

Gur sent me this mod for the BD808, the pot value is based roughly on a range that would cover 37 to 82 Hz which is what i was hoping for,
i'm going to make a new 6hp panel with room for a good quality pot

i think the BD909 may have pitch control

[/img]
swiv
excellent thankyou! I know what I'm doing this weekend thumbs up
Steevio
i'd better go out and buy a microscope
Soy Sos
I got a nice note from Gur, he said to feel free to post:

The good news is that all the 909 modules are in different phase of prototyping. The first ones will probably be the HATS909 and the Clap909.
Here is a very short sample of the HATS909 in RAW self cycle mode:
RAW mode is a straight path from the sound generator of the module, it then goes to the Z2040. It also generate a clock signal that triggers a Doepfer A142-2, the Doepfer D and S out trigger the BD808 and SD808. All 3 sounds go to the Z-DSP delay. The entire thing cycle using the internal HATS909 logic, no sequencer or clock module, just these modules.

The frequency changes on the hats sound and the timing is made by sweeping the Tune knob on the hats.

Feel free to post it:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3237683/9HATSZDSP8BD8SD.wav

Cheers,
Gur
FatRocky
fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap... you kids get off my lawn
metaBit
Soy Sos wrote:
The entire thing cycle using the internal HATS909 logic, no sequencer or clock module, just these modules.

The frequency changes on the hats sound and the timing is made by sweeping the Tune knob on the hats.

Feel free to post it:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3237683/9HATSZDSP8BD8SD.wav

Wow. Sounds like the 909 modules are going to be amazing and more than just straight copies of the originals. Can't wait though am going to need some more HP...
crabman75
damn...i was hoping the kick comes first.

personally i have no need for the other 909 stuff.I still love the closed hat to death but i`m fine using a sample of the sample...
grape tony
likewise. LOVE the 909 kick!
thiagozt
I was on my way to the grocery store and I decided to stop by Meme Antenna (http://www.memeantenna.com/) and guess what happened... I bought a monorocket case and all 3 tiptop drum modules. Needles to say I completely forgot to go to the grocery store, so I starved for the next 12 hours while I was playing with these things

This is fun! Best purchase ever. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
WaveRider
thiagozt wrote:
I was on my way to the grocery store and I decided to stop by Meme Antenna

that sure was an evil plan lol
Banalism
Here's a quick video I recorded with the TipTop 808 modules, might be of interest...

https://vimeo.com/39882083
easyjoey
I tried those modules at NAMM and was really impressed. I am getting ready to dive into modulars and they are on my list to get.
pointsource
There will be a 808 tom tom module?
Junk Rhythm
There best be an 808 clap module in the future!
pointsource
BTByrd wrote:

And a pic.

nanners

Really cool, but man, you have like US$100000000 on gear, can you not freaking record a demo with the crappy camera mic???? cry
z3r01
pointsource wrote:
BTByrd wrote:

And a pic.

nanners

Really cool, but man, you have like US$100000000 on gear, can you not freaking record a demo with the crappy camera mic???? cry

Not sure if it's a lost-in-translation thing or a lack of tonality in written messages, but wow, that's kinda rude isn't it?
BTByrd
pointsource wrote:

Ha! It's not really meant to be a demo of the 808 modules per se, just a "behind the scenes" video of a track I'm working on. The audio at the beginning of the clip (with the still photos) isn't from the camera mic; it's a .wav direct from my DAW. Should give you an idea of what the 808 modules sound like in context.

z3r01 wrote:

Not sure if it's a lost-in-translation thing or a lack of tonality in written messages, but wow, that's kinda rude isn't it?

It was either funny or rude (or possibly both); I took it as humorous. I know that I've had the exact same complaint watching YouTube "demos" that have terrible audio quality because they were recorded with crappy camera mics.
ryandfl
z3r01 wrote:

That really is a trend that I would lloovvee to see stop. Even if you never get the video and audio perfectly synced, or even exchanging video for some stills. Video is great for product explanations, but when you're trying to get an idea of how something sounds (which is probably why someone would be looking for a video of a particular piece of gear) it's just disappointing to get the shaky-phone.

On the other hand, I really do appreciate that people take the time to share their gear with the world at all.
suboptimal
Spent some time last night experimenting with the BD808 running through the A-119 envelope follower, which was controlling gain and other parameters of my plaguebearers as they mangled the BD. Oh. My. Goodness. Too much fun. Highly recommended.
lionelfischer
nice!

been putting the BD808 thru my 119 for distortion for a while now, never thought to expand on that further and use the envelope follower!!
pro424
The two pins on the BD808 board with a header on one of them... what are they for?
JohnLRice
pro424 wrote:
The two pins on the BD808 board with a header on one of them... what are they for?
On mine it says "Enable Bus" next to the pins so I'm 'guessing' putting the jumper on will route one or more signals in and/or out of the ribbon cable for use with systems set up to route common signals to modules.
sixteen
Heavy use of the tiptop bd808 and sd here, lots of SCM and corgo distortion too...

dj2sday
It's peanut butter jelly time!
Mans
SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo nanners
itijik
sixteen wrote:
Heavy use of the tiptop bd808 and sd here, lots of SCM and corgo distortion too...

That was hot

...but that large knob on your Z3K is inappropriate. Kids could be watching! hihi
sixteen
Nice one guys...

The Large Pot on the z3000 make s for easier tuning....maybe I'm nuts...
itijik
Nah, I like it! thumbs up
Chris
Very funky little track
tompty
sixteen wrote:

wicked demo.
drox
tompty wrote:
sixteen wrote:

wicked demo.

freakin awesome demo
radiodread87
drox wrote:
tompty wrote:
sixteen wrote:

wicked demo.

freakin awesome demo

I second that! excellent work Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! Dead Banana
sixtyten
Fonky. I dig the knobs.
Soy Sos
@sixteen

Hot shit
REALLY tastefully done, classy, slick, bad ass
sixteen
I'm surprised so many of you like this track, I figured it was me being crazy and just making another fucked up tune...

Cheers

Sixteen
wwbjd
Fucked up tune.

But I love it!
Petur
sixteen wrote:

Love it! Great stuff!
defenestration
please tell AH to get more stock of tta BD808 plz

kthxbai :(
sixteen
Another little Jam recording which I think shows the tiptop modules quite well, The more I use these bad boys the more I fall in love with them , I have had a good few drum machines in the past, But having just these 2 modules in my modular world is working way better for me then any full drum machine ever has.

Has any on here tried moding the BD for pitch? I would love to hear some results before I do anything rash..

Cheers

Sixteen
bodo
^great track sixteen, can't wait until they'll be back in stock @ schneiders
sixteen
Cheers Bodo...

I cant say enough good things about them..
Soy Sos
Another wicked chune sixteen.

I just got the HATS808 in the mail.
Man, these things sound good.
I never owed an 808, but I really like having them in my system.
sixteen
Yes, I want the hats...

I cant find many videos of all 3 modules, maybe you should make one Soy Sos?
Soy Sos
Yea, my video skills are not good.
I only have the iphone camera.
I've got an absolutely crazy patch going on ATM.
I'll at least run some audio, later tonight.
Soy Sos
What the fuck am I doing wrong with this embed??
[s]http://snd.sc/IUZJU1[/s]
http://soundcloud.com/soy-sos-sweet-sounds/soy-sos-tiptop-808-demo

The awesome Tiptop 808 drum modules!
A crazy ass beat with Pittsburgh Generator as clock. Timetable, 4MS Rotating Clock Divider and Z8000 as choppy choppy.
BD808 through Geiger Counter.
SD808 through Sound of Shadows and Plague Bearer.
HATS808 straight with Timetable CV
Also added 4th percussion voice is noise, ModDeMix and Polivoks VCF
Junk Rhythm
There are some HH909 samples floating around as well.
kuxaan-sum
Soy Sos wrote:
The awesome Tiptop 808 drum modules!
A crazy ass beat with Pittsburgh Generator as clock. Timetable, 4MS Rotating Clock Divider and Z8000 as choppy choppy.
BD808 through Geiger Counter.
SD808 through Sound of Shadows and Plague Bearer.
HATS808 straight with Timetable CV
Also added 4th percussion voice is noise, ModDeMix and Polivoks VCF

Sounds Awesome.
Were using accents on BD ad SD?
negativspace
Soy Sos wrote:
What the fuck am I doing wrong with this embed??
http://soundcloud.com/soy-sos-sweet-sounds/soy-sos-tiptop-808-demo

Try editing the file/link name @ Soundcloud so that it's shorter & contains no hyphens. I had the same trouble with one of my embeds until I poked at it a while...
sixteen
Nice one Soy Sos...

that beat is fucked all right, would be tricky to programme that on a normal 808, the hats for sure are on my short list...

thanks for sharing..

Si
sixteen
I'm churning threw the jams with these modules...

markjamesriver
Nice Soy Sos. Plague Bearer makes for hours of fun on a tiptop drum mix. 6 CV inputs makes for endless wiggling! I've got some nice patterns I can post later...
haima
nice jam sixteen Drums!
Soy Sos
@kuxaan-sum, I wasn't using the accent inputs.
I was however using a 4 step sequence on the Z8000 to step
through 4 rotation settings on the Rotating Clock Divider.
In addition, there another LFO alternating the direction of that sequence.
Neither of those LFO's are synced to the beat.
Chris
Love both your videos sixteen
May I ask what you're using for sequencing/voice control in both (if you can recall)?
sixteen
Hello Chris

The drum are sequenced from short pulses fired from an mpc, I run a mono voice from the mpc too with a kenton pro solo converter,

This clocks the 4ms shuffle multiplier which drives Rene, I suppose the PEG helps out too.

Works a treat...

Si
markjamesriver
[s]http://soundcloud.com/k-ram-1/tt-and-plague[/s]

Here is a snippet using the TT drums (BD,SD, HHs), with a touch of cowbell from the Mbrane. Mix ran through the Plague Bearer with envelopes and LFO controlling CV. Hours of fun but lucky for you the sound byte is less than 1 minute smile
TestSetRadio
you guys are killing me with these clips... you don't want a spare left in my pockets, do you? very frustrating
JohnLRice
Great clips youz allz!!!!!!!!! we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy

Hey, Soy Sos, it seems to me that often the Soundcloud plugin or code here on Muffs (and maybe everywhere?) doesn't like a lot of spaces (that get turned into dashes) in the clip/song title and flips out.

Try reuploading the same clip to Soundcloud but this time name it
SOYSOSTIPTOP808DEMO, SOY_SOS_TIPTOP_808_DEMO or maybe even just TEST and then post it in this thread to see if it works better.
Endosine
Loving that track Sixteen! Really nice true electro! Making me rethink waiting for the 909 versions... as always the answer is both.
DT
markjamesriver wrote:
[s]http://soundcloud.com/k-ram-1/tt-and-plague[/s]

Here is a snippet using the TT drums (BD,SD, HHs), with a touch of cowbell from the Mbrane. Mix ran through the Plague Bearer with envelopes and LFO controlling CV. Hours of fun but lucky for you the sound byte is less than 1 minute smile

This is great!!
Nice one...
sixteen
Cheers endosin

Its easy to get that electro sound with them...808=Electro...
Drumdrumdrumdrum
I am so hoping the tom module will have CV over pitch..........................PLEASE!? we're not worthy
James Mandible
defenestration wrote:
please tell AH to get more stock of tta BD808 plz

kthxbai :(

+1, been waiting for some more BDs to come in stock for a while now it seems. Hoping there'll be some in the same shipment as the Clap and Cow so I can get 'em all at once!
ResistSound
I got one recently at Meme Antenna and it's well worth the wait!
metaBit
sixteen wrote:
I'm churning threw the jams with these modules...

Really great jam! Thanks for sharing!
bodo
Any news on the SN808? Seems to be out of stock everywhere in Europe for a while now?
Volt Gaat Kraken
I jus want to add that I want Rides909 and BD909 CP808. Thank you thumbs up
ersatzplanet
Here is a basic video from Cody at Equinox Oz using the Synthwerks FSR-1T to control some TipTop drum modules. He is using the threshold dependent gat out to control the snare and the switched gate for the kick. Pressure out for filters.

Volt Gaat Kraken
I was reading the HATS909 manual on the TipTop website and it says the default sound is the OH and it overrides the CH.

Is this correct? On the TR909 it is the other way around, no? That the CH cuts off the OH.

Or do I comprehend it wrong?
benbrush
BD 909 is moving to production! (twitter)
elemental
benbrush wrote:
BD 909 is moving to production! (twitter)

Rockin' Banana!
DonKartofflo
ersatzplanet wrote:
Here is a basic video from Cody at Equinox Oz using the Synthwerks FSR-1T to control some TipTop drum modules. He is using the threshold dependent gat out to control the snare and the switched gate for the kick. Pressure out for filters.

I find this one even cooler! it was the original reason for my desire for fsrs.

Volt Gaat Kraken
nice..
I'm ordering the whole tiptop drum modules but what would you suggest to mix them all?
My outboard mixer doesn't have enough channels, I'd like somethin in eurorack. Are there mixers with more then 4 inputs?
Can I use multiples? I can control volume with the Tiptop modules themselves, no?
continuum
The TipTop modules have volume control and their output can be very high to overdrive inputs on other modules. There are a lot of mixers out there check eurorackdb.com for options.
thomachine
Any news on the 909bd? I would love one of those!
bil_g
Volt Gaat Kraken wrote:
I was reading the HATS909 manual on the TipTop website and it says the default sound is the OH and it overrides the CH.

Is this correct? On the TR909 it is the other way around, no? That the CH cuts off the OH.

Or do I comprehend it wrong?

You are correct about the HATS909.

This worked to my advantage with the accent. Since there is only one accent for both the CH and OH, I was having trouble setting up a routing with Silent Way/ES-4. I could only get one signal to reliably respond to accents. I found that if you just layer a CH with the OH, the OH will override the CH but it will still respond to the CH accent level - so I only had to have the accent linked to the CH gate/trigger.

The accent on the 909 modules is dynamic, unlike the 808 modules where the accent is only two levels. A CV signal is more flexible than a gate/trigger for the 909 accent.
SYN7HOR
Volt Gaat Kraken wrote:
nice..
I'm ordering the whole tiptop drum modules but what would you suggest to mix them all?
My outboard mixer doesn't have enough channels, I'd like somethin in eurorack. Are there mixers with more then 4 inputs?
Can I use multiples? I can control volume with the Tiptop modules themselves, no?
Check out Intellijel's Unity mixer.
sinemod
is there a mixer that is easy to overdrive
like old cheep mixer ?
i have doepfer mixer lin and log
i also have the STG.mix but the .mix is someting else and it is not what i am looking for.
bil_g
sinemod,

I pulled out my old Mackie 1202(like this cheap one) to use as a drum mixer for these. Running the kick, snare and clap through the first channels with gain trims. The snare sounds really nice and beefy when overdriven.

Maybe not what you meant but that's what I'm using.
Junk Rhythm
bil_g wrote:
I pulled out my old Mackie 1202(like this cheap one) to use as a drum mixer for these. Running the kick, snare and clap through the first channels with gain trims. The snare sounds really nice and beefy when overdriven.

Same here. It's the first time I've used my little Mackie in years.
sinemod
Ok i have to said that i am well served with my Mix Wiz from allen&heath
those eq with the gain trim has some lush.
The problem is that the selling point of every mixer in euro expect STG .mix is to be super clean.
3 or four chanel with some simple eq with that cheap and dirty in mind woud be great for drum.
radiodread87
Theres a few mixing combos I like for these, the Mutamix is one, clean, mutable and pretty nifty with the sliders (also sequencing the outputs is a fun ride with the percussion modules!).

I also adore the Manhattan MIX with these guys as they have HOT outputs and it can take them nice and cleanly (which is sometimes what you want)

For when I want some gain and distortion, I recently found the STG .MIX is a wicked one for that, 808 kick drum into it sounds unreal!

Quote:
The accent on the 909 modules is dynamic, unlike the 808 modules where the accent is only two levels. A CV signal is more flexible than a gate/trigger for the 909 accent.

Also I found the 808 modules respond the same way with regard to a CV, for instance in the video I did that ersatzplanet reposted below the pressure output from the FSR's was going to the accent in of the modules and it was definitely variable dependent on the pressure applied, they also respond to an LFO in a similar way which leads me to believe the respond more to a voltage than just specifically a gate.
bil_g
radiodread87 wrote:
Also I found the 808 modules respond the same way with regard to a CV, for instance in the video I did that someone reposted below the pressure output from the FSR's was going to the accent in of the modules and it was definitely variable dependent on the pressure applied, they also respond to an LFO in a similar way which leads me to believe the respond more to a voltage than just specifically a gate.

Mine don't. There's only two accent levels. Also, after I got the cp909, I emailed Gur about the variable accent comment in the manual as I hadn't seen it in the 808 manuals. He wrote:

Quote:
The 909 uses a different Accent circuitry, it allows you to use CV rather then the 2 state Gate/Trigger as the 808's.

Color me jealous if yours do.
radiodread87
Well damn, now I am going to have to check it out closer, but I could have sworn that the CV I was applying to the Accent inputs were varying the sounds rather then it specifically having to be a gate but it could just be the CV from the FSR or LFO etc getting to a high enough level to trip the accent on the 808 modules.
I am going to listen in greater detail to the two 909 modules I have and the 808 ones for comparison with the same patch to see how they vary in sound, should be interesting the difference in the circuits, thanks for the headsup
bil_g
Sure thing. I still checked to be sure but that gave me the chance to see how much of a volume range the accent could cover for each one. It's interesting how much they vary. For instance, the bd808 is only like 6db difference while the hats909 is around 16db.

I had been wanting to check this just out of curiosity, so thanks for the excuse to do it. Mr. Green
Hainbach
I just got the TT Clap after lusting for it a long time. Its a funky module, even if the price tag and lack of CV make it a bit of a difficult buy. Would love a wavefolder in my skiff to get more variation out of it - at Schneiders it really shone with a uFold.
conscious
today I got the bd808 and hats808, really love to have drums in my eurorack.
Now off to a snare, how is the mfb snare?
I really dont like the 808 snare much, what options are there?
maybe a a-112 and some sampled snare?
benbrush
I bought an old Boss Bx16 for 30€. 16 channels with a nice overdrive and 2 channel EQ : just perfect with the 909 and the mfb 522!
wired
808's still kicking ass SlayerBadger!
smoo
If you don't like the 808 snare (I do), I would recommend the MFB Drum-05. It much more flexible than any 808 Snare module.
smoo
BTW: Does anyone know why on any of the 808-Snares (Tip-top, ASol, acidlab) its not possible to tune the sound? Even it was a T-Bridge VCO this would be a parameter (I don't know the circuit)
Microscopial
It will be nice soon when you can control all your drums from one module with zero latency mmmm
DomMorley
Microscopial wrote:
It will be nice soon when you can control all your drums from one module with zero latency mmmm

Do you know something we don't (or rather, I don't)?
lionelfischer
does anyone know if the 808 rimshot is on the to-do list at tiptop, or should i snag an analog solutions module
zamzam
any eta on 808 toms and congos?
anti_climacus
The last announcement via Gur's twitter was for the 909 toms.
Microscopial
might be something a bit harder end of to the middle of next month applause
Microscopial
oh and not to get to excited but damn theres so much more
zamzam
how about 606, do you think Gur will ever go down that road, the HH's, snr and toms are lovely, a bit more dirty than the 808!! it would be lovely to have them in the set..
pipwilliams
You could grab a 606 off eBay for a lot less than the combined cost of the modules. Modded too for extras. 808s on the other hand are seriously expensive!
zamzam
yeah i guess, its just having it built into the modular and triggered with all sorts

smile
Taco Belly
Microscopial wrote:
might be something a bit harder end of to the middle of next month applause

Mmmmmh.... A new Europa with wooden sides maybe...

hmmm.....
wavehead
even with the 606 still cheap I would love to have 606 hats (as long as it had SOME added functionality like the other hat modules) as they are really my favorite of the TRs.

still don't get lack of CVs, but that has been beaten to death on this thread so whatever.
zamzam
wavehead wrote:
as they are really my favorite of the TRs.

yep me too, really dirty, the toms also
thingstocome
Guesswerk
i'm really tempted to cash my 808 in and get these and an MFB SEQ02...

...has anyone A/B's these against a TR808? I've had every TR clone going (jomox etc) and nothing has come close but going from the demo's these sound pretty good?

could free up some serious module vouchers for me!?!
hanerlend
any word on when sd909 will be available?
sines
Guesswerk wrote:
i'm really tempted to cash my 808 in and get these and an MFB SEQ02...

...has anyone A/B's these against a TR808? I've had every TR clone going (jomox etc) and nothing has come close but going from the demo's these sound pretty good?

could free up some serious module vouchers for me!?!

Haven't A/Bed, but I've owned a few of each. The TipTop Stuff def. rocks.
Can't wait for the rest of the sounds to come out..

sines
also .. has anyone come up with a way to tune the 808 Kick drum??
lamer71
This is just message so that i can view my recently deceased brother...
xonetacular
huh?
lamer71
I had to post one message, so that I could view his member site, and see when he was last logged in.
This is my way of handling the grief of losing my kid brother. I want to know everything about him, his interests and so on. I did know about the modules, but I didn´t know how much he loved his hobby.
His name here is SYN7HOR, from Sweden, Karlstad and he was 36 years old.
xonetacular
Oh damn man, I'm sorry to hear that. sad banana
randomseed
condolences
AudioFetish
Really sorry to hear that

sad times
Mans
My condolences
issa4444
the muff really blows me away sometimes. what a great community.
my condolences lamer71.
rip SYN7HOR from sweden.
ekwipt
RIP SYN7HOR

Sorry to hear of your loss
JeshuaW
My condolences, may he rest in peace.
seank
i got balls deep in some tiptop modules and it sounded like this:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/dj-twin-infants/where-am-i[/s]
jessem
radiodread87 wrote:
Theres a few mixing combos I like for these, the Mutamix is one, clean, mutable and pretty nifty with the sliders (also sequencing the outputs is a fun ride with the percussion modules!).

I also adore the Manhattan MIX with these guys as they have HOT outputs and it can take them nice and cleanly (which is sometimes what you want)

For when I want some gain and distortion, I recently found the STG .MIX is a wicked one for that, 808 kick drum into it sounds unreal!

Quote:

Also I found the 808 modules respond the same way with regard to a CV, for instance in the video I did that ersatzplanet reposted below the pressure output from the FSR's was going to the accent in of the modules and it was definitely variable dependent on the pressure applied, they also respond to an LFO in a similar way which leads me to believe the respond more to a voltage than just specifically a gate.

nanners STG .MIX and the 808BD is a really great combo.

I use the mutamix with mine as well.
nullpunkt
Steevio wrote:
[/img]

Thanks for this!

Tried it, but in a much more simple way... I just soldered a 50k Pot (lin) to the R13-Connections... without de-soldering the existing resistor and without the extra 32k-resistor. And it works.

I am an absolute soldering-non-pro (aka "idiot"), so I'd like to know, if there is any chance that my way of doing this is okay and would not destroy the module?
StoneLaw
I would love to hear the pitch mods on the BD808... it's the only thing holding me back from getting them. I might get the snare anyway. Any easy way to add an input and get tracking on that Pot?
sixteen
nullpunkt wrote:
Steevio wrote:
[/img]

Thanks for this!

Tried it, but in a much more simple way... I just soldered a 50k Pot (lin) to the R13-Connections... without de-soldering the existing resistor and without the extra 32k-resistor. And it works.

I am an absolute soldering-non-pro (aka "idiot"), so I'd like to know, if there is any chance that my way of doing this is okay and would not destroy the module?

I am interested in this, could you post some more about it? an image? some sounds?
S
rdomain
+1

I only recently got a BD808 to replace my ASOL BD88 and the pitch is way too high. It doesn't sound right at all. Any suggestions? Otherwise this mod is a must for me even as a set and forget.

Cheers.
Mercutio
Just for say that i rencently understand how to match BD 808 and WMD Compressor !... SlayerBadger! These two are in love !
cleaninglady
Can anyone quickly tell me what the Jumper on the BD808 PCB is there for ?

Can find answers in any documentation.
Junk Rhythm
cleaninglady wrote:
Can anyone quickly tell me what the Jumper on the BD808 PCB is there for ?

Can find answers in any documentation.

It should be for the mixbus and their mixer.
cleaninglady
Ok cheers. I'm only using the BD808 standalone.

Can you tell me the stock position for the jumper ?
Junk Rhythm
cleaninglady wrote:
Ok cheers. I'm only using the BD808 standalone.

Can you tell me the stock position for the jumper ?

Leave it connected to one pin.

Vcoadsr
Mercutio wrote:
Just for say that i rencently understand how to match BD 808 and WMD Compressor !... SlayerBadger! These two are in love !

Just been routing the BD808 through the WMD compressor last night.
Would be very interested in knowing what settings, on both, are getting you good results.

Thanks in advance.
oijoi
Hi there,

I just acquired HATS909 and can't seem to get CH Gate to trigger.
I'm able to trigger OH Gate (and also Gate in from SD808, so there shouldn't be a trigger problem) but for some reason the closed hh doesn't seem to work.

Could it be a user error or a problem with the module?
Junk Rhythm
oijoi wrote:
Hi there,

I'm able to trigger OH Gate (and also Gate in from SD808, so there shouldn't be a trigger problem) but for some reason the closed hh doesn't seem to work.

Could it be a user error or a problem with the module?

The section below is from the manual. Is there any chance that the GATE signal that is being applied to the OH trigger input is in the high state at the same time that you are attempting to trigger the CH?

HATS909 Manual wrote:
OH vs CH and SOURCE switch.
The HATS909 is a low-fi sample based generator that is capable of producing
only one sound at a time; the default is the OH sound which overrides the CH. If
a gate signal appears at both inputs simultaneously, the OH will sound.
Each of
those sounds have a DECAY control knob to set the length of the analog envelope
applied to that sample sound. Setting the SOURCE switch to RAW bypasses the
envelope and filtering of the sound sample, giving you the raw sample with no
processing. RAW mode is great for using your own filters, VCA, and envelope to
process the raw sample sound. When set to 909, the sampled sound pass through
the original analog filters and VCA of the 909 machine.
subdo
Does anyone know where one might order knobs that fit on the TT drum module pot shafts in 2016? Hopefully without having to order 100s of them? Seems the Make Noise white knobs could work but everywhere that sells them seems to be out in the US and I don't know anything about knob compatibility.
oijoi
[quote="Junk Rhythm"][quote="oijoi"]Hi there,

Could it be a user error or a problem with the module?[/quote]

The section below is from the manual. Is there any chance that the GATE signal that is being applied to the OH trigger input is in the high state at the same time that you are attempting to trigger the CH?

[quote="[url=http://www.tiptopaudio.com/manuals/hats909.pdf]HATS909 Manual[/url]"][b]OH vs CH and SOURCE switch.[/b]
The HATS909 is a low-fi sample based generator that is [color=red]capable of producing
only one sound at a time; the default is the OH sound which overrides the CH. If
a gate signal appears at both inputs simultaneously, the OH will sound.[/color] Each of
those sounds have a DECAY control knob to set the length of the analog envelope
applied to that sample sound. Setting the SOURCE switch to RAW bypasses the
envelope and filtering of the sound sample, giving you the raw sample with no
processing. RAW mode is great for using your own filters, VCA, and envelope to
process the raw sample sound. When set to 909, the sampled sound pass through
the original analog filters and VCA of the 909 machine.[/quote][/quote]

Thanks for the reply.
I had read the manual before posting here.

I'm not able to trig the closed hh (ch gate) like on this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9cVFybcfkA

Would it be possible that the gate is high on OH gate channel even tough nothing is plugged into it?
DMR
subdo wrote:
Does anyone know where one might order knobs that fit on the TT drum module pot shafts in 2016? Hopefully without having to order 100s of them? Seems the Make Noise white knobs could work but everywhere that sells them seems to be out in the US and I don't know anything about knob compatibility.

I don't have any TipTop drums, but the old Make Noise knobs were for T18 Shaft.
continuum
oijoi wrote:

I'm not able to trig the closed hh (ch gate) like on this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9cVFybcfkA

Would it be possible that the gate is high on OH gate channel even tough nothing is plugged into it?

Please send us an email at contact@tiptopaudio.com and we will sort this out.
aswefallintostatic
I recently bought a Hat909 and am having a bit of difficulty understanding how the gate inputs of the OH and CH interact with different length triggers. The description says that they feature a 'dual pulse-shaper circuit', but I'm not sure what that is, here is what i got so far, any extra info or advice woudl be much welcome!

So if i send the OH and CH short drum triggers they both trigger when expected. if both receive a trigger then the OH plays and the CH doesn't. The next trigger at the CH will cut short the envelope of the OH. So far so good.

Where i am getting confused is when triggering the hats from the outputs of a clock divider.

If i patch the /2 output of a clock divider into the CH then patch the output of the /4 clock divider into teh OH then instead of triggering the OH it instead mutes the OH, resulting in the CH sounding only every other time (so like at /4 rate on the offbeats).

Patching any other output of the clock divider to the OH has the same effect of muting the output of the HAT909 for the duration of the CH gate being high.

Modulating the pulse width of the triggers creates an interaction that gradually brings in this muting effect, it can be pretty funky actually.

Anyway, it seems obvious to me that some aspect of the gate input is interacting and i was wondering if anyone could help me understand better whats going on!

Cheers
Huddlemuff
Did you ever get an answer to this? I've been thinking of trading my 909 cymbals for the hats since I just don't use that ride sound that often, and the crash really never... Also have you played with FM effect?
aswefallintostatic
Huddlemuff wrote:
Did you ever get an answer to this? I've been thinking of trading my 909 cymbals for the hats since I just don't use that ride sound that often, and the crash really never... Also have you played with FM effect?

Hi there, yes tip top got back to me on this:

"It seems that the long gate is masking the other input. My guess is that when both outputs go high or low they do not do it at the same time which is why the OH is not triggering.

If you have more logic gates try to run one of the outputs through it just to add delay."

Basically this thing responds much better to triggers than gates, but you can use a channel of maths to make different length gates and then it really responds well to that

T
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 29