MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsMW News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Favorite BBD? Pittsburgh Mod. Analog Delay VS. Asys RS-440.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Favorite BBD? Pittsburgh Mod. Analog Delay VS. Asys RS-440.

LoveBot

Hi all, I am interested in hearing about your subjective experiences with BBD modules, specifically the Pittsburgh Modular Analog Delay and the Analog Systems RS440- but feel free to compare/contrast other BBD delay modules as well. I prefer the aesthetics of the Pittsburgh Modular but I've read about (and listened to examples) in which it feeds back too soon for my taste. The Analogue Systems RS440 sounds nicer to my ears, but maybe this comparison is due to the limited demos available on the YTs? seriously, i just don't get it
I apologize if this thread is redundant (I've done some searching but you know what kind of rabbit hole that can create) --and I'm also interested in current opinions about BBD delay modules in the market, especially now that some time has passed and folks with the Pittsburgh Modular have had some time with them.

Cheers

visible cow

I've never tried the ASys but I am a fan of their modules. I own the pittsburgh and think it sounds great. How quickly it feeds back depends on the rate combined with the feedback settings. I find that on longer settings I can get 5-6 repeats. Although it IS a bbd so you lose some high end and the repeats are a bit distorted....in a way i find very pleasing. The pittsburgh is really great at chorused sounds and really shines (IMO) on external audio.

Also, there is no filter on the ASys as far as I know so you'll have to patch in a filter if you want to control clock noise. maybe that makes it more "modular"?

LoveBot

Ah yes, the lack of a filter on the Asys does distinguish the two quite a bit, functionally speaking, and it also raises the cost difference from $50 to $50+filter in order to achieve comparable units that both filter out clock noise. I'm on the hunt for more PA modular delay demos, feel free to post your favorite Soundcloud, Youtube, etc. here!

DomMorley

I love my ASys one. I bought it because I listened to the all available YT videos and I much preferred the sound of it. I haven't been disappointed since I got it.

I've got a few filters in my system so there's always one spare if I need it to eliminate clock noise (but this isn't needed every time).

I also discovered last week that a tiny bit of lfo into the CV-IN VARY is a very beautiful thing!

I've never had a Pitts one in my case though, so I'm afraid I can't offer a comparison.

LoveBot

Yeah, the only demo I am able to find online is this one

Love the sound at about 50 secs after the lowpass is applied to filter out the clock sound. Love love love it! I guess I better start looking at relatively cheap lowpass filters for a cheap solution to filter out that clock sound.

visible cow

Sounds great. Having 4hp lowpass sitting right next to it would be really useful.

Esnan

What about the Doepfer BBD module with 2048 or 4096 stages compared to the RS440? Do they sound the same?

LoveBot

visible cow wrote:
Sounds great. Having 4hp lowpass sitting right next to it would be really useful.

It would be great if someone made a 4hp lowpass specifically for BBD stuff. Hm... I think the closest might be from Analog Solutions...6hp.
http://www.noisebug.net/site/analoguesolutions/index.cfm?id=72

But alas, it will add over $150 to the price. And then that would mean the Asys BBD would come out around $200 more than the Pitts. delay. Maybe I'll just get a Carbon Clone or Memoryboy instead.

matttech

I've had both the doepfer a188 and pittsburgh, and didn't get on with either. The pitts fed back too early (about 4 repeats that died away sharply so almost just sounded like 2 or 3)...and the doepfer was too fussy about levels and needed filtering. I ended up with the EHX memory boy deluxe BBD pedal, which will take CVs into the expression pedal input to modulate various functions (selectable on the front). I got mine to do over 100 repeats without feeding back....but it will scream bloody murder if you want it to! Has a send and return loop so you can control feedback by looping it through a vca and modulating it.

Did a demo a while back that you should be able to find if you search for "memory boy" or similar - showing its delay time being sequenced while lots of tweaking goes on. Recommended!

LoveBot

matttech wrote:

Did a demo a while back that you should be able to find if you search for "memory boy" or similar - showing its delay time being sequenced while lots of tweaking goes on. Recommended!

Ha! I've been searching 'Memory Boy' for awhile now...before you posted! But man- I cannot for the life of me locate that demo. Might it be on Soundcloud, Youtube, Vimeo? Is it in the eurorack subforum or
"General Gear" etc.? Trying to get less than 3000 results lol

matttech

I'll try to locate it when I get home. Was a private link on my soundcloud page, but I'm starting to think I may have deleted it to make room for proper tracks the other day.

causticlogic

I've never tried the Asys one but I like the Synth Tech E580 way better than the Pittsburgh delay. I remember playing with a friend's Analog Delay and didn't much care for it. Plus, the E580 also has tape delay!
The E580 is definitely worth considering. And since you like the build aesthetic of the Pittsburgh, the Synth Tech stuff is pretty close to that as well - nice, clean well-spaced designs. thumbs up

DonKartofflo

I want a clockable bbd for my euro waah
Well... might as well get a memory man...

LoveBot

causticlogic wrote:

The E580 is definitely worth considering. And since you like the build aesthetic of the Pittsburgh, the Synth Tech stuff is pretty close to that as well - nice, clean well-spaced designs. thumbs up

Yeah, the E580 looks great...and it sounds decent for being digital-but I'm still struggling hear it in context...not too may demos out there- but will certainly renew the search!

Cybananna

I have the Pitts and the E580. I like the pitts but I was surprised that I may like the E580 better. I need more time with both but E580 is great.

bj_gzp

BBD lover here smile

How i use them:
- A188-1 (1k) is the experimental one, nice for FSU and i like the modulation options. Mostly used on precussive stuff. But as mentioned a lot of noise and fiddely. Makes squarish waveforms in self-osc. wink
- PA AD as classic long BBD delay. Every Guitar/Bass player i jammed with loved it. Didn't check the waveform yet, but i like it's behavior in self-osc, especially for long delay times. Really like modulating it in that mode to make some "animal" kind sounds.
- RS120, short BBD, but has V/Oct in! It has HP filtered output, so normally you can't hear the clock. I generally put it below this threshold to hear the clock and route pads through it. In self-osc it makes rounded saw-ish waveforms.
- I have a RS310, short Tapped BBD, but i managed to kill it before having checked it properly out. d'oh!

I'm considering getting a shorter A188-1 (256) and the RS440 to complete my range.

I had the A188-2 as well, but sold it. It was too big, i just used it mono. But it was really cool in self-osc. With the tab controls you had waveshaping kind options. Probaly the best choice if you can't mak eyour mind up about stage number> But it lacks a bit from modulation input POV compared to the A188-1. I would take 2 A188-1 over a single A188-2.

On the E580, it's a great module in itself, but a digital emulation is not the same as a REAL BBD. Some people will probably disagree hihi

Cheers,
BJ

shaft9000

i've got the Pittsburgh, the modcan superdelay (BBD) in a-series and have had the RS-120

the pittsburgh is lively and has nice animation when CV'ed, if rather flat sounding. not syrupy so much as kinda marble-tile harder sound character.

the modcan is expensive and sounds+behaves like it. similar to a moog104 but even crazier. thick and juicy with long beefy repeats.

the rs-120 is very short timewise and best heard when CV'ed. really groovy 70s sound to it but not the most useful module, either.

my favorite delay module though is the rs-390. digital but sounds so smooth wide and deep...loves being CV'ed. too bad it only likes ASys PSUs and cases (deepPCB and power-hungry); easy to fry if you DIY anything.

matttech

LoveBot wrote:
matttech wrote:

Ha! I've been searching 'Memory Boy' for awhile now...before you posted! But man- I cannot for the life of me locate that demo. Might it be on Soundcloud, Youtube, Vimeo? Is it in the eurorack subforum or
"General Gear" etc.? Trying to get less than 3000 results lol

here it is:

http://soundcloud.com/spitezoo-experimental-lab/ehx-memory-boy-sequenc ed-synth/s-yxN2P

also, there’s a cool bell-like sound from the Cyclebox in this track at 05:32 onwards that is going through the Memory Boy, so you cane hear how it sounds in a mix. the delay was modulated by some kin of nvelope to produce echoes that are rising in pitch :

http://soundcloud.com/spitezoo-experimental-lab/a-rock-and-a-dig

Michael O.

I'd have to throw my lot in with the very full featured doepfer a-188-1 (1024 being the most versatile, imo), of course with the somewhat major caveat being the fact that I rarely use it for typical delay duties (I turn to out of the box options, like another bucket brigade device based delay like an ehx memory man, or a tape echo, all of which can have vc'able level and feedback with some not-so-clever vca and modulator patching).

It has everything one could need in a patchable BBD, and frankly, still sounds great when I do use it for vc'd delay duties. Not to mention, it's cheap (in that very relative sense in which modular gear can be cheap) and doesn't skimp on the inputs, outputs, attenuators, or inverters.

Rabid

I like the Pittsburgh for its simplicity but the one I use most is the Doepfer A-188-2 tapped delay. Creative patching of different taps can give some interesting results.

Paranormal Patroler

I own two a-188-1 modules (256 and 4096) and I love them. Just love them. Tons of in/out options and they work wonders together. I also plan on buying an a-188-2 at some point but I do have "normal" delays covered by incorporating an analog delay pedal and a digital alesis pedal in module format.

I have to admit the ASYS sounded really good in that demo.

FatRocky

Asys rocks Rockin' Banana!

FatRocky

it seems that in the whole euro world there are just a few of them

what happened with that Cwejman bbd ? it was never released at the end?

maybe 2 x RS440 (for stereo delay) is the best option, but not enough to beat the great Dynacord SRS 56!

A Dingleberry Monstrosity

visible cow wrote:
I've never tried the ASys but I am a fan of their modules.

be VERY careful when plugging one of their modules in to a non AS rack.

I blew up my AS sampler/delay ( cry cry cry ) when I plugged it in wrong into my doepfer case. I sent many emails inquiring about getting it fixed. I forget his name but I dealt with the guy that owns AS and he was less than caring to be honest. I'm not expecting it to be fixed for free or have him take a financial hit from my stupidity, but at the very least don't be an asshole about it. Show a TINY bit of compassion please!!!

He was quick to respond to my questions at first, but when he found out I wasnt using HIS case he refused to respond any further for some reason. He just disappeared. I had to practically beg him to respond and when he finally did, he basically replied with "yeah youre fucked, this is why you're only allowed to use my modules with my cases. This will cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to fix."

Wasnt close to worth it so it so I still have the $700 paper weight.

So needless to say I'm not a fan of AS anymore and cant wait to get rid of my last remaining AS module. I've been "razzle dazzled" by other manufactures customer service so to be honest I have no need to deal with AS anymore.

and dont get me started on that stupid ass AS power connector....

LoveBot

My only Asys module (RS-380 modulation controller) was properly marked with the voltage clearly printed and it was very easy to plug into my Monorocket case with no ambiguities, but I keep reading anecdotes from folks with the opposite experience... which does concern me, as I plan to eventually pick up the RS-60 envelope module and the BBD delay.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2