MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Laurie Spiegel on muffs?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Laurie Spiegel on muffs?
construct09
Maybe I havent used the search function correctly but I can find no reference to Laurie Spiegel. What she did with the EML200 on the track 'sediment' inspires me to no end...
JohnLRice
Laurie is awesome! we're not worthy

Diamat
simply a genius
keykeyeyekit
She is on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lauriespiegel

Direct line to letting her know how you feel.
construct09
I believe there is a retrospective of her work on the way, really looking forward to it
Kalerne
"Sediment" is a great piece.

Has anyone heard "Obsolete Systems" CD ?

http://retiary.org/ls/obsolete_systems/
sandyb
Kalerne wrote:
"Sediment" is a great piece.

Has anyone heard "Obsolete Systems" CD ?

http://retiary.org/ls/obsolete_systems/

yes, i own it.
it is a good listen.
emdot_ambient
thumbs up

thumbs up
MindMachine
She is great. She was very active in a lot of pioneering areas in the 70's and 80's. She is very nice and super cool with answering questions. I have e-mailed her and had a few brief discussions. Obsolete Systems is a very very good collection in my opinion. From early 70's Buchla etudes to her EML works to various early digital constructions. She rocks. Sun
construct09
The final track on Obsolete systems 'Voices Within: A Requiem'
is one the darkest pieces of music I have heard.
construct09
Lauries track 'Sediment' is used in the soundtrack to the film 'The hunger games" applause
oootini
Retrospective?! Boxset? Collected works? Vinyl? Etc. That would be amazingly cool. Anymore details?
construct09
I don,t use facebook anymore so am out of the loop....
Pretty sure she posted there about something in the pipeline(quite awhile ago)
She just posted on the EMLgroup page about the inclusion of sediment in that film
Juxwl
construct09 wrote:
The final track on Obsolete systems 'Voices Within: A Requiem'
is one the darkest pieces of music I have heard.

+1 on this. Try listening to it alone at four o'clock in the morning.... eek! twisted
construct09
I hope Laurie dosen,t mind me posting this (hides) from emlsynth http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/emlsynth/

Looks like the Electrocomps are finally being put on the map and being given the space they deserve. I hope this makes them all the more a special coveted cult instrument. Current coverage:

Rare '70s Electronic Music Is Hidden in The Hunger Games
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/03/rare-electronic-music-hunger-ga mes

How The Hunger Games Righted a Musical Wrong
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/03/30/laurie_spiegel_s_sedime nt_in_the_hunger_games_how_the_new_movie_righted_a_musical_wrong.html

'Hunger Games' audio easter egg: obscure '70s electronic gem from Laurie Spiegel
https://www.theverge.com/2012/3/30/2912903/hunger-games-laurie-spiegel -sediment

Hear the Obscure '70s Electronic Music Used in `The Hunger Games'
http://flavorwire.com/274983/hear-the-obscure-70s-electronic-music-use d-in-the-hunger-games?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campai gn=Feed%3A+flavorwire-rss+%28Flavorwire%29

Brian, I have several cds in the works but keep not finding time to complete them. First out will be a double cd of my Bell Labs GROOVE pieces from the mid-1970s, late summer or early fall from Unseen Worlds Records http://unseenworlds.net

Pat your EML 200s on their backs, but don't give them too much to drink. ;-)

- Laurie
construct09
I can,t believe SUB ROSA didnt pay Laurie for her track sediment which was on the 'ANTHOLOGY OF NOISE AND ELECTRONIC MUSIC' release

That sucks....

Oh well, at least she will be paid a lot more for the track in the film than sub rosa could have paid her....not to mention the exposure It's peanut butter jelly time!
wselman
construct09 wrote:
I can,t believe SUB ROSA didnt pay Laurie for her track sediment which was on the 'ANTHOLOGY OF NOISE AND ELECTRONIC MUSIC' release

That sucks....

Oh well, at least she will be paid a lot more for the track in the film than sub rosa could have paid her....not to mention the exposure It's peanut butter jelly time!

Common practice with that label in others' experiences. Sadly, a very common industry experience.
solitaryzen
wselman wrote:
construct09 wrote:

That sucks....

Common practice with that label in others' experiences. Sadly, a very common industry experience.

Especially from labels based in that country.
steamroom
that's been going on with sub rosa for at least 20 years....have many friends who had the same thing happen to them...
personally, because i've had experience on both sides of the fence, whenever i hear folks say "fuck major labels, blah blah", i think, if you only knew...
never been ripped off by a major in any way outside what was already printed in the contract..
there are very good labels on the small side though. but there is a lot wriggling room for tomfoolery like that...

that aside, great to see her work out there for new ears. she's great.
hope unseen worlds does a vinyl version of the set.
wselman
steamroom wrote:

Yes, it is great! Sorry to derail the conversation...

I've always been a huge fan of hers and I'm hopeful to see all of her stuff back in print again. Actually, I'm getting married in a park this summer and we've chosen "Patchwork" as our ceremony music.
pinknoise
And despite the inclusion of "Sediment" in the film's soundtrack, the official soundtrack release does not include it. It was compiled by T-Bone Burnett, who is not known for his love of electronic music. Quite the opposite, in fact.

As the Wired article puts it: "You won’t find “Sediment” on the official Hunger Games soundtrack, which was produced by T-Bone Burnett and debuted Wednesday at No. 1 on the Billboard Top 200. The top-selling album features pop megastars like Taylor Swift alongside the Arcade Fire and other popular indie rockers."

Marginalized again...
unintentional states
steamroom wrote:
that's been going on with sub rosa for at least 20 years....have many friends who had the same thing happen to them...
personally, because i've had experience on both sides of the fence, whenever i hear folks say "fuck major labels, blah blah", i think, if you only knew...
never been ripped off by a major in any way outside what was already printed in the contract..
there are very good labels on the small side though. but there is a lot wriggling room for tomfoolery like that...

I've had a feeling that Dub Taylor reissue has some sketchiness about it as well. Not to mention the Philip Jeck live disc that got pulled. What a bummer. Hopefully Charlemagne Palestine is getting something out of his releases on there.
steamroom
charlemagne lives very close to them, so....
a lot of composers of that era, in that vein, i've noticed, look at records like a lot of jazz musicians do, as promotion for doing performances and they usually sell a lot of them themselves. they aren"t as prickly about accounting and royalties, most of them were never part of that world to begin with.
on the other hand, the composers who are following those things, do it with a fine tooth comb...
as a lot of folks here know, there isn't much money to be made on a 500-1000 run lp.
gwaidan
I once read about a player of the Ondes Martenot who licenced their recording to Naxos for zero royalties-they were just happy to actually have a very niche recording published and out in the marketplace. Seems the business model for a lot of these guys is the 1930s one of using a record as a calling card to help promote their live and session work, and forfeiting what would be a negligible net royalty anyway to get it pressed is worth it in the long run.

That said, Laurie's treatment is shameful-her reputation will be a major drawcard for anyone buying this, and for them to abuse the trust of someone who sends a tape without a contract is not on. In my experience also indie labels can be just as slimeballish as majors-they just don't have the lawyers....
chamomileshark
thanks for reminding me about her - for some reason "Obsolete Systems" hides on my widow player. Nice to give it a digital spin again
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3