MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tiptop "Stackcables"
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Tiptop "Stackcables"
algorhythm
Hi all. What are your thoughts on "Stackcables" from Tiptop? Looks like a great idea. Any problems stacking on Euro or Frac gear and having any problems with noise or resistance messing up signals?
NV
There are a number of threads on the subject. In short, they stack just fine and you should never need to stack more than one at a time if you are using them "properly." Noise and resistance are not any more of a problem than with any other jack/cable connection. Some people had some reliability issues with the first revision, but they have since been redesigned and the problem has apparently been corrected (threads here and here).

Some people claim they are expensive for what they do, but you don't need to completely replace all of your cables with them and if you do the math they are much cheaper than standard multiples.

Doepfer multiple: 2x 1-in/3-out multiples - $45
TipTop Stackcable: 1x 1-in/3-out multiple - $8.25

If you're worried about it, just buy one and try it out next time you place an order at Analogue Haven or Schneider's. It's the price of a quick lunch and if you don't like it you can sell it, which makes it an even safer investment than a quick lunch.
Low-Gain
i got 3-4 that are broken that i need to send to TTA... even the new ones should be handled with care.. no careless yanking of cables..

otherwise i like them a lot for doubling up my gate signals for EG's and Sequencer clocks. smile
sduck
The only problem is that they've apparently forgotten about the 1/4in cable users. We need them too!
Low-Gain
sduck wrote:
The only problem is that they've apparently forgotten about the 1/4in cable users. We need them too!

that would be 1 hell of a heavy cable..
too much stress on the jack at that point. smile
richard
Highly recommended. Much better than multiples!!
algorhythm
Interesting... Ok, Thanks for the info - will try some out for myself and see.
Red Electric Rainbow
Scoop them up, they rule.
Joe.
I love mine, buy some right now SlayerBadger!

(I use a mix of regular doepfer and tiptops tho, no need for only tiptops)
philter
I'm not in love with mine. The cable it fairly thick and less flexible than most other cables and the enlarged casing around the connector makes them less than fun to use where space is tight (Intellijel). Of the six I have one has failed due to stress around the connector (and these are the new/improved ones). I can't imagine stacking more than one cable. With the thick cable gauge I'd be afraid of bumping it and breaking something.
algorhythm
So, is there anyone else making a "banana-like" 3.5mm cable besides Tiptop? Can't say I've seen them elsewhere, perhaps someone else has? Maybe I'll pick-up some "Y" splitters and give those a go as well. Thanks all.
NV
algorhythm wrote:
So, is there anyone else making a "banana-like" 3.5mm cable besides Tiptop? Can't say I've seen them elsewhere, perhaps someone else has? Maybe I'll pick-up some "Y" splitters and give those a go as well. Thanks all.

The TipTop cables are extremely specialized to modular users - in all the other branches of electronics if you're looking for a stacking cable the choice begins and ends with bananas. There's just no reason to have a stacking 3.5mm mono cable in the rest of the world, hence why no one else manufactured them in the 100 years since the switchboard days.

Y-splitters work but I wouldn't call them convenient. A Stackcable provides an additional socket at the source/destination, so it's very easy to trace a signal. Y-splitters just create more clutter in my experience and can be difficult to trace, so at that point I'd rather just use a standard multiple.
Mosiej
is it true that TTA has a monopoloy on the market of euro ack stackables? fo the love of the game .. not getting my money anymoe
merchant
I have every length, the only thing I'd say is maybe the yellow and green are extraneous, just get blue and red instead, but thats just me.
sduck
Mosiej wrote:
is it true that TTA has a monopoloy on the market of euro ack stackables?

As far as I know they own the patent on them, so until they decide to license them out to other manufacturers, yes they do.
kindredlost
sduck wrote:
Mosiej wrote:
is it true that TTA has a monopoloy on the market of euro ack stackables?

As far as I know they own the patent on them, so until they decide to license them out to other manufacturers, yes they do.

CAPTITALISM - pfttt!

Make your own design and beat them in the market. Until then surprise

The 1/4" might be too bulky to work unless the designer is savvy enough to make them light, yet sturdy enough to sustain the stresses of a heavy plug and cable connector.

Until then MAN UP and get a larger system that includes a few buffered mult's from - STG Soundlabs.

--PLUG INTENDED--

http://stgsoundlabs.com/products/multiples_mu.htm

FWIW - most of my cable problems show up in 5U (that is code for large format for the woefully low-info Euro users). It's because of the weight of the standard 5U cables. The original Moog cables were optimal. The usual ones are Hell on jacks. Great for patching but abusive due to this thing called droop. I'm with Bezos for a micro-gravity spaceship to the outer planets.

DISCLAIMER: I have a very large system so I use 15 foot cables (40 meter for those blessed 3U'sers) all the time, but even the short ones have problems on rare occasion. YMMV
sloth713
kindredlost wrote:
cables (40 meter for those blessed 3U'sers)

40 meter cables??? MY ASS IS BLEEDING razz spinning

but still we're not worthy for the 15ft cables
Leverkusen
philter wrote:
I'm not in love with mine. The cable it fairly thick and less flexible than most other cables and the enlarged casing around the connector makes them less than fun to use where space is tight (Intellijel). Of the six I have one has failed due to stress around the connector (and these are the new/improved ones). I can't imagine stacking more than one cable. With the thick cable gauge I'd be afraid of bumping it and breaking something.

I wish all my cables would be as thick as those because it seems less cluttered to me like that and with some caution regarding the direction of the bulk they fit in everywhere on my system. But I really do suffer from broken ones. They are really handy and I have a lot of them in use (would need a whole rack of multiples to replace them... hihi ) but everytime I wonder about instability in a patch it is one of the stackables that died. You can feel how a cable gets smoothly in the connector but there is no hold of it anymore, just a wonky slack joint. That's a pity, esp. as they are a little pricy. I thought about going all stackable at some point but I am happy I did not now.
ben jah men
I have the original versions.. Many have broken.. I wish I could afford to replace all my cables with the new ones..
Ashe
Always wondered why people used up hp on multiples when stackable cables existed
Robscorch
Ashe wrote:
Always wondered why people used up hp on multiples when stackable cables existed

Buffered mults are nice, but just regular mults I don't get it either. In fact I don't understand the need to spend so much on stackables when Intellijel makes hubs that are fairly cheap. But to each their own I guess it's not like the money wouldn't be wasted elsewhere anyway. w00t
teezdalien
Those hubs aren't a very elegant solution, they can't be daisy-chained and basically clutter up the synth interface badly when combined with all the cable spaghetti. But I do agree that passive mults are a waste of space. I do love patching with my stackables.
Fiddlestickz
what's the point in having a patent to something that everyone wants and is constantly out of stock at retailers..??
wsy
Low-Gain wrote:
sduck wrote:

that would be 1 hell of a heavy cable..
too much stress on the jack at that point. smile

Yeah, but a 1/4" jack is strong enough to handle it!

Heck, my 3-year-old daughters *climbed my MU* holding onto the plugs!

And- you can get 1/4" "twofers" (two 1/4" jacks mounted directly onto a single 1/4" plug) at Amazon
or on Ebay. That's what I use... four or five of those and you're good to go.

Likewise, I think I've got like a half-dozen StackCables. Maybe eight. They work great.
Also, you can use them to connect two standard cables end-to-end (just don't short the
1/8" tips against a ground.

I think, once upon a time, I own a multiple. It's in a box now. Somewhere. Dunno exactly where and haven't used it in ages...

- Bill
sduck
Yes, these

are gamechangers once you get them in your patch flow.

And if your modular is really wide like mine, having a multiple parked in the middle can be really handy - getting a signal from one side to the other can be a chore if you have to hunt up your 8 foot cables, but if you use the multiple, you can use whatever.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2