MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Who wants a Q119 aid?????
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Who wants a Q119 aid?????
Jsantos360
So I think we almost have Roger convinced to do a Q119 sequencer aid thumbs up

He seems to think they will not sell d'oh!

Anybody else want one as bad as me? Anybody have an idea of when Grove Audio considers "3rd quarter" seriously, i just don't get it

Thanks for your input we're not worthy
bwhittington
Crikey, if you have his ear, maybe suggest that he take deposits to gauge interest. With all respect for Mr. Burdick, I would love for Roger to release this.

Cheers,
Brian
zapp550
YES! YES! YES! That's the only thing that's held me back from buying the Q119. I was just talking to another member about this not even a soulpe days ago and trying to figure out other ways to make "companion" modules.
Christopher Winkels
Can you elaborate on what this aid would entail? Maybe I missed a thread somewhere....
bwhittington
Christopher Winkels wrote:
Can you elaborate on what this aid would entail? Maybe I missed a thread somewhere....

Basically, it's the Grove module, which I assume is based on the design ideas Roger posted in the now lost wiki. All Q119's have a header for a companion module that has never happened.

Cheers,
Brian
JohnLRice
bwhittington wrote:

Basically, it's the Grove module, which I assume is based on the design ideas Roger posted in the now lost wiki. All Q119's have a header for a companion module that has never happened.

Cheers,
Brian
And it at least provides individual gate outs per step . . .I think.
fac
As much as I'd love such device, I make do with my Moon 563 and have no space for other sequencing related modules.

This does not mean I would not buy it - I most likely would - just not in the near future.
Jsantos360
Here's the email Roger sent after my third request for a Q119 aid, lol very frustrating

Thanks Justin,
I sure might do a Q119 aid module.  It would mainly provide trigger outputs for each stage.  Basically a panel with 24 jacks.  Would be better if there was a switch for each jack to route the signal to.  Problem is, it would end up being real expensive and I think sales would be meager.

http://www.Synthesizers.com

Thought??? seriously, i just don't get it
bwhittington
Oh, if that's what you've gotten out of him, it doesn't sound all that imminent to me. Still, maybe John ought to plan for the Grove version to be able to pass through the connections to Roger's version should it ever come to be. Sounds like they are quite different. Not that spending $500 on Q119 aid modules would ever really make sense . . . or would it. hyper

Cheers,
Brian
Jsantos360
$500 for an aid would be silly.... d'oh!

Wonder what John @ Grove Audio will charge.....

Perhaps Doug @ SSL would like chime in. Or maybe take this on.....
chorus7
Count me in !!! hyper
Christopher Winkels
If he's worried about sales why not do what Moog did with the Taurus and take pre-orders. $50 up front and when 20, 50, 100, however many orders are required to make this feasible come through it goes into production.

If he doesn't hit that threshold the money gets refunded.
kindredlost
John at Grove Audio told me the project is progressing on the Q119 Aid. No time frame was discussed but it looks as if it could happen.

Of course if someone else came along with a viable option I'd probably bite on it too. The Q119 is awesome but could really use an aid module in a bad way.

Is there any real info on what the expansion header pinouts are? DIY'n a jack panel could be possible if there was a clue to what was what on the mystery header. Hmm... maybe time to get the MM and scope out for a shocking exercise in reverse engineering. Anyone have a spare Q119 to lend? hihi
bwhittington
kindredlost wrote:
Is there any real info on what the expansion header pinouts are? DIY'n a jack panel could be possible if there was a clue to what was what on the mystery header. Hmm... maybe time to get the MM and scope out for a shocking exercise in reverse engineering. Anyone have a spare Q119 to lend? hihi

More than a jack panel is involved. I bought a handful of the chip involved thinking I would attempt the circuit involved at some point, but the description was fairly vague and I decided it was over my head. If anyone wants to make their own attempt, I would be happy to pass them along.

Cheers,
Brian
kindredlost
bwhittington wrote:
More than a jack panel is involved. I bought a handful of the chip involved thinking I would attempt the circuit involved at some point, but the description was fairly vague and I decided it was over my head. If anyone wants to make their own attempt, I would be happy to pass them along.

Where is this info? What IC's? Lost WIKI stuff?
bwhittington
It is a HD74HC237 3-to-8-line Decoder/Demultiplexer. I don't even know what that means. confused lol Yes, lost wiki stuff. Mr. Rice could possibly describe the circuit to you, and I did start a thread about it here probably a year and a half ago that has the link to the wiki page which might allow you to dig it up somewhere.

Cheers,
Brian
boothnavy
I would be interested in such a device.
diophantine
A demultiplexer basically takes an input signal and a control (switch) signal, and sends the input to one of n outputs, based on the control.

In this case it is one with 3 inputs, and 8 outputs. The Q119 would likely have a corresponding multiplexer.

It is basically used to send a lot of data over fewer lines.

And since one can never have enough animated gifs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Telephony_multiplexer_system.gif
essex sound lab
If he's worried about sales why not do what Moog did with the Taurus and take pre-orders. $50 up front and when 20, 50, 100, however many orders are required to make this feasible come through it goes into production.

If he doesn't hit that threshold the money gets refunded.

I believe Roger used a pre-order commitment model when developing the Q960, although that was before my time. So he's familiar with the approach.
VinceL
Roger certainly knows how many Q119's he has sold. So, using that as a theoretical maximum, he knows what the limit is on total sales. He also must have some idea about the approximate cost. Using an estimate of what percentage of Q119 owners would buy the aid module, he has probably determined that there wouldn't be enough sales to make it a profitable venture.

What he may not have estimated is how many new Q119 sales would be generated with the availability of an aid module. Speaking for myself, I have held off on buying a Q119 for 2 major reasons:
1. Space (but that can easily be added)
2. Lack of an aid module that would give access to individual steps and possibly other added functions

Depending on what capabilities a Q119 aid module offers, I would be likely to buy a Q119 and aid module.

I must admit that I have not been able to determine from the Grove website what John's aid module will provide.

Are there others like me who do not currently own a Q119, but would seriously consider buying one if an aid module became available? seriously, i just don't get it

Years ago when Morbius was really pushing Roger to make a 960 clone, Roger departed from his usual approach to new modules. He required a deposit (I forget how much it was...I know I put in a deposit for one). If he didn't get enough deposits by a specific date, he said he would not make it. Well, fortunately for many modular geeks, he got the deposits, and the rest is history. SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo It's peanut butter jelly time! Trampoline

Maybe Roger could take a similar approach to the Q119 aid. He can probably already release the specs and an approximate price.

Jsantos360, maybe you could propose this approach to Roger.
Just me
Grove's aid is the one that looks good to me from the descriptions. (A trigger sequencer for the 119.)
yipe
Where is this Grove aid module? I don't see it on the site, unless I'm blind and retarded.

EDIT: Hey wait, was that there a minute ago? Found it.
darwingrosse
Just me wrote:
Grove's aid is the one that looks good to me from the descriptions. (A trigger sequencer for the 119.)

The Grove is exactly what I want - that'll get me deadly close to the things I was doing with an Arp 1601 sequencer (primarily multi-way gate bussing on the fly), but with even more steps. How can this be bad?

[ddg]
Jsantos360
Here is what I got out of John at Grove Audio......back in July d'oh!

I have also completed the PC board layout for the new version of the GMS719a. It worked out well on two boards and most of the logic is now handled by a PIC microprocessor. I am using a greater amount of surface mount which has cut the parts cost and simplified assembly as I now have a complete surface mount assembly system: http://www.groveaudio.com/pt/blog/

Thanks.

John Burdick
email: Jburdick@groveaudio.com

I want one John! Let's get the ball rolling here bud smile

very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating thumbs up thumbs up
Jsantos360
w00t !

We've got Doug at SSL's attention guys!!!!!

Here is his response to our thread:

Hi Justin,

I saw the thread when my ears started burning.  lol

If someone can send me a pinout for the Q119, AND if we can come to concensus on what it should do and look like, I'd _possibly_ be will to build a few.  I'd need at least a 15 unit commitment before I'd consider it.

Feel free to share my thoughts with the group.

Doug

I will be one of the fifteen! Who's coming with me help
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5