MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Eleh
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author Eleh
anti_climacus
Been really into these albums for a long time since they started coming out on Important Records. Most of them are only available on vinyl, but they come very highly recommended and sought after for their deep analog drones. Highly recommended if you like Eliane Radigue.

There is very little information about the artist(s?) except for their known collaborations with Pauline Oliveros and others. There are a few articles here and there though:

Mastering Location Momentum

Dusted Review
Mark_Lewis
The artist is the owner of Important Records.
Just me
I got a copy of Radiant Intervals a few months ago. Nice drones.
anti_climacus
Mark_Lewis wrote:

Awesome! Huge fan of their output.
flippantminister
Mark_Lewis wrote:

ah, that makes sense.
Repeater
I heard one recording that sounded like a couple sine waves beating around 80Hz and recorded through a nice preamp for 10 minutes. It reminded me of Affenstunde era Popul Vuh without the interesting parts. Am I missing something? Genuinely curious.

Edit: The first tune posted in this thread was alright. Is there any more like that?
anti_climacus
Repeater wrote:
I heard one recording that sounded like a couple sine waves beating around 80Hz and recorded through a nice preamp for 10 minutes. It reminded me of Affenstunde era Popul Vuh without the interesting parts. Am I missing something? Genuinely curious.

Edit: The first tune posted in this thread was alright. Is there any more like that?

After he started doing meditations and improvisations vol 1 & 2 I think his output became much more complex and richer. The retreat and return albums are really good, as well as the repose and the split he did with Nana April Jun.

The homage to the sine wave and square wave are extremely minimal but are meant to be played loudly through nice open headphones or stereo placed at ear level. I like them for meditating.
wmgaretjax
Mark_Lewis wrote:

You positive about this? Is there an interview/article or something that points to this?
Mark_Lewis
Yes and no. Haha
wmgaretjax
Ha. I'll take your word for it. It does make sense...
Kalerne
lovely music/design !

http://importantrecords.com/imprec/imprec344

dr. jacoby
Mark_Lewis wrote:

that actually makes a lot of sense...i like a little mystery, though! in the age when every artist has a twitter and a facebook and who knows what else, all filled with updates about what they're eating for dinner and stuff like that, it's nice to get a little mystery and wonder back in there.

but more on topic, eleh is one of the best things i've found out about in the last year or so...i particularly love the spilt with sun circle: http://www.discogs.com/Eleh-Sun-Circle-Fading-Spectrum-Of-Darkness-Par helion/release/1303551
magneticweb
the artist is indeed john from important records. i think its pretty well known by now.

the last album they did was the only one i really liked. the rest are far too minimal (in a boring way). seems more like a product than that a project most times..
unintentional states
Yeah, I really loved the idea and presentation of Eleh for the year leading up to being able to get my hands on an actual record (Square Wave). What I've heard of the Touch CD really felt like he was taking it somewhere better, but I decided not to put any real effort into getting these unless I come across a reasonably priced one in a store.
eole
great music!
Zeitdehner
I got first contact with Eleh stuff around 2008 or something, can't remember what record I started with but it was instant love with the total concept, the packaging design and The Sound ! On 05/04/2011 I and Papz went to see Eleh in concert in Brussels' Beursschouwburg ( opener was Aymeric de Tapol, very nice performance too...), in a medium sized room on the top floor, just under the roof. Lots of wood, gorgeous metal structures from the early 1900's and a network of air conditioning tubes... a wondrous setting.
It was really a fascinating experience to be completely immersed in sound waves, to feel my whole body vibrate... some of the structural elements of the room went into sympathetic resonance, each resonating to different frequencies... and John really played consciously with these phenomena...plain fantastic ! That's what Eleh is all about, sheer physicality of sound, be it simple and pure or complex and sophisticated, be it static or dynamic.
From that night on the veil of mystery surrounding Eleh was torn apart, as I learned who is behind the music and how it is produced. But that didn't diminish in any way the impact the music has on me and on my own musical output, it just motivated me even more to refine my own creational processes.
Next to his solo output as Eleh there's also the Deceh project which is more aimed at electro-acoustic collaborations.
Make sure to also check the Pitreleh album (in collaboration with Duane Pitre), which imho is one of the finest...
muncky
Bumping this dusty thread as Eleh has now put most of his music on bandcamp, and this article has some nice insights which may be of interest.

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2016/12/21/eleh-interview/
neandrewthal
anti_climacus wrote:
The homage to the sine wave and square wave are extremely minimal but are meant to be played loudly through nice open headphones or stereo placed at ear level. I like them for meditating.

I like a lot of weird and extreme music but when I lived with my ex Eleh and Pan Sonic were the only things I wasn't allowed to listen to aloud. I guess they can be physically sickening to some at the volumes I like to play them, but I agree on how you have to listen to the homage series.

If you put it on as background music you will just forget it's playing. If you try to listen intently with moderate volume you will just get bored. You need to feel the beating and the phasing of the oscillators literally assaulting you.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1