MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Plastic washers?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Plastic washers?
stk
I'm after a whole bunch of plastic washers for Euro mounting, of the kind that ship with Cwejman modules.

Anybody know a good source for these? they're translucent white (totally transparent would be super cool), approx 8mm diameter, 3mm hole.

Cheers.
decaying.sine
I think this is the place I got my various sizes.
http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/NYLFWN.cfm

You'll probably want to look for some place in AU though since the shipping will be.

I found a bunch of option by googling "nylon flat washer"
monads
check amazon if available locally. i ordered these for my cwejman rack which fit perfect for the screw size/cwejman rack. but I'm sure you can order a bigger size for a euro rack.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FMUGIE
computer controlled
I got mine from McMaster Carr. Can't remember what size i got though.

*edit*
I think it was these: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-plastic-washers/=dwrd63
Christopher Winkels
McMaster is a great source, but I don't think they ship to Australia.
computer controlled
They're fired!
decaying.sine
computer controlled wrote:
I got mine from McMaster Carr. Can't remember what size i got though.

*edit*
I think it was these: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-plastic-washers/=dwrd63

I have also bought the washers from them too. Forgot about that one.
stk
Thanks guys smile

decaying.sine wrote:
I found a bunch of option by googling "nylon flat washer"

Fuck that, I ask my Unicorn oracle Hug
jabeoo1
http://escapefromnoise.com/en/products/washers/

These are the babies. You get lots in a pack. I used them with Eurorack
BugBrand
UK always: http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equipment/M3-Plain-Nylon-Washer-Pack- 100-33-5064
PhineasFreak
i just use the excessively large numbers of pinkish/red fibre washers that come with pc mobo's - fit fine and dont damage modules. not pretty but they do just fine...
stk
For anyone in Aus, I found some here:
http://www.smallparts.com.au/store/partslist/washersflatnylon/washers/ wide/1/3.00/

You need to buy a few to get a price break, 100 for ~ $10.
chvad
just added washers to everything. Got the same ones F(o)H uses. LOVE THEM! (and my back hurts)
decaying.sine
End screw rash now SlayerBadger!
chvad
IT MUST BE DONE! help
reekster
I was told over the weekend by TWO very reliable sources in the Modular community to NOT USE PLASTIC WASHERS. They suggest the grounding between the modules is very important for triggering reliability, grounding etc. The only way around would be sand the back panels where they touch the rails and let that connect the ground. Then yo can use plastic washers and screw the modules in tightly.
I may do the sanding exercise in the upcoming weeks when once again, the big swapping around of modules happens once again!
Graham Hinton
reekster wrote:
I was told over the weekend by TWO very reliable sources in the Modular community to NOT USE PLASTIC WASHERS. They suggest the grounding between the modules is very important for triggering reliability, grounding etc.

Your sources don't know what they are talking about.

All modules get their reference from the 0V of the power connector which in a lot of cases is not grounded. There is no defined or coherent way of grounding panels and most are anodised or painted and most rails are anodised which is an insulating layer. Any connection via mounting screws is pretty hit and miss, as is any connection between jack bushings and the panel.

This is not good practise, but it is the practise you have got.
reekster
I’m not revealing my sources to drag them into petty disagreements. But you might reconsider if you knew. Ask a module manufacturer for their opinion. And I’m simply passing on information from two people that just about everyone in the industry has the utmost respect for, not just standard users like myself, and possibly you.
Gandalf
Hinton is correct. Most aluminium parts are anodized and this will greatly reduce any electrical grounding.
Without special treating of the aluminium, it is very difficult to get a good electrical connection. Sanding back will not work because aluminium oxidises almost immediately. You have to use star-washers or similar which break through the surface of the aluminium and cut in to the inner aluminium.
You should NOT be relying on ANY metalwork connectivity between panels, rails etc as this is NOT a reliable method.
a100user
Enjoy the show!
diller
reekster wrote:
I was told over the weekend by TWO very reliable sources in the Modular community to NOT USE PLASTIC WASHERS. They suggest the grounding between the modules is very important for triggering reliability, grounding etc. The only way around would be sand the back panels where they touch the rails and let that connect the ground. Then yo can use plastic washers and screw the modules in tightly.
I may do the sanding exercise in the upcoming weeks when once again, the big swapping around of modules happens once again!

Can you direct me to your "TWO very reliable sources" so I can smack them upside the head?

I just don't understand why people revive 6 year old threads to make themselves look foolish.
dooj88
reekster wrote:

i always heard the top rail was 12v and the bottom rail was -12 and the "power connectors" were just an outdated ritual doepfer invented for initiation into the eurorack church. have you been bringing the electrified worms that get too near the ground circuit back to your power supply to feed it? nobody told me about that when i was just starting out..
Virgil
blah.
reekster
diller wrote:
reekster wrote:

Can you direct me to your "TWO very reliable sources" so I can smack them upside the head?

I just don't understand why people revive 6 year old threads to make themselves look foolish.

First of all, I would have not believed this unless it was from these two folks. Second, what is your background in electronics?

Sorry, you don't believe it. I had a hard time too until I asked the second person, even though the first is a legend in the industry. Please ask a manufacturer that you respect and then respond back. I'm only trying to help. I have better things to do but I like to help the community, as we all should.
flashheart
You do know who Graham Hinton is don't you? Builds highly regarded PSUs for modular amongst other things. I'd take his word on electronics over most people...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2