MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How are you distributing power on your dotcom system?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]

How are you distributing power on your dotcom system?
QDH20 or QDH40 power harness from Synthesizers.com
76%
 76%  [ 32 ]
Distro board
23%
 23%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 42

Author How are you distributing power on your dotcom system?
zerosum
How are most of you distributing power for your modules in your synthesizers.com/MU system?

Are you using a cable power harness like the QDH20 or QDH40?
Or are you using a distro board like this Mondo Power Pusher from STG?

Synthtech also makes a few, the 990 and 960 and a dotcom to MOTM adapter board

I myself prefer the distro board over the power harness.
yipe
For now, cable harness, someday when I have other manufacturer's modules I'll probably get a distro board. In the far far future.
zeta
i'm using both, as i have to fire up a motm101.
cookie?!? but i can't vote, still to young.
Christopher Winkels
Cable power harness.

I wish the leads were a bit longer though. I sometimes run out of the long ones before I'm done plugging everything in.
Bryan B
I have 4 Mondo Power Pushing Distro Boards from STG (and counting). I couldn't be happier with them!
doctorvague
I'm using a dotcom wiring harness in each cab and a MOTM 995 to power MOTM and Modcan B.

@Christopher nice avatar!
VinceL
I have 8 Dotcom portable cabinets each with a QDH20 (4 cabinets have QPS1 power supplies). Plus I have 2 rack cases (10-space and 12-space) that each have a QDH20. One QPS1 powers the 2 rack cases.

I have Dotcom, STG, Moon, SSL, Megaohm, Grove, and Cyndustries modules. They all have Dotcom power connectors; so the cable harnesses are a good solution for me.
relaxing
Voted harness but with an MOTM adapter board.
dude
bryan b has a sweet new avatar too!
splitpoint
Did anyone make their own harness?
essex sound lab
Both.

I have Dotcom harnesses in the Dotcom walnut cabinets, STG distros in the STG cabinets, first-gen Moon Modular distros in the Moon racks, a few QPS2's for 19" racks and a few MOTM-995's scattered throughout.

Oh, and a first-gen COTK power adapter bus, two MOS-LAB power buses and a "mono-poly Moog" bus. ;-)

The Virgo in me would like to see something more uniform and distro-based throughout, but that's of such low priority that I'm sure it'll never happen.
oblis
Using both also...harness in one wood cabinet for the dotcom/MU and an MOTM-960 distro board in another for Modcan B. All fed from a QPS1.
Bryan B
dude wrote:

Haha, thanks Dude! Here is a link to the Gloat thread with a recent project that I built for a friend:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27470&start=500

It is in the middle of the page if you scroll down.
Dob
doctorvague wrote:
I'm using a dotcom wiring harness in each cab and a MOTM 995 to power MOTM and Modcan B.

Plagiarism! Exactly my setup razz
boothnavy
dude wrote:

so does winkels.
theinnerpalm
Didn't vote: Using two QPS2's to power a 22 space
doctorvague
boothnavy wrote:
dude wrote:

so does winkels.

Hey Christopher's Avatar!
Tell Bryan's Avatar to stop yelling at me, will ya?

This message sent from my Fort-Phoneâ„¢
Christopher Winkels
doctorvague wrote:
boothnavy wrote:
dude wrote:

so does winkels.

Hey Christopher's Avatar!
Tell Bryan's Avatar to stop yelling at me, will ya?

Be cool, man. Be cool. Have a Cointreau.

Sincerely,

spinach_pizza
Bryan B wrote:
dude wrote:

Haha, thanks Dude! Here is a link to the Gloat thread with a recent project that I built for a friend:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27470&start=500

It is in the middle of the page if you scroll down.

wow.
nerdware
Both. I use MOTM-995 adapter running off a QDH20. By the end of this year, I expect to be using all 3 kinds of connectors on it.

I also have a couple of single-module Dotcom-to-MOTM adapters from Krisp1. The only reason I'm not using them right now is that I removed them when I reorganised my cabling earlier this year and I've yet to put them back. I'll probably want to do that at some point, however. The 995 doesn't have enough connecters on it! lol

The Encore UEG has both Dotcom and MOTM connectors, which is handy.
kindredlost
Most of the things on the "gloat thread" are meh , but the beast from bryan b is full-on brag worthy.

I use harnesses (for the power in my modular that is) but I have started a 5U rack cabinet with a Power One PSU and a home made distro board. I also have a distro board from MOTM but am still waiting for a PSU and some rails to go with it.
cornutt
Kindred, mine's sort of similar: MOTM-990 or 995 distro boards, driven by Condor open-frame power supplies. One the boxes that use the 990 boards, there's a separate terminal strip for the +5V.
MindMachine
Christopher Winkels wrote:
Cable power harness.

I wish the leads were a bit longer though. I sometimes run out of the long ones before I'm done plugging everything in.

Indeed! Same w/ the Euro modules. Wire is inexpensive - give us convenience!!

I have ordered extensions custom made by Arrick at a reasonable price (as I recall). They are necessary since I have homemade cases all spread out. I just use a couple of the transformer power supplies and extension cables along with a MOTM adapter cable for my uLFO.
Christopher Winkels
MindMachine wrote:
Christopher Winkels wrote:
Cable power harness.

Indeed! Same w/ the Euro modules. Wire is inexpensive - give us convenience!!

I have ordered extensions custom made by Arrick at a reasonable price (as I recall).

I'll probably do that too the next time I put an order. In most cases I'm talking about needing an extra three or four inches for two or three modules on every 22U wide row. It's fine if one has a very definite idea in mind for module placement (just wire up the furthest ones first and work your way inwards), but if there's the desire to experiment a bit and move modules around it's a pain.
essex sound lab
kindredlost wrote:
Most of the things on the "gloat thread" are meh

So perhaps I should have just said: although I have a mix of different harnesses and distros, I would vastly prefer to have all multi-format distros instead.

Having a hodge-podge of module power requirements and power distribution systems based upon module and cabinet selection history is really limiting. You simply can't put things where you want to, and it's something you always have to think about. A uniform multi-format distribution system would obviously be a win.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2