MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MODULAR: The Documentary
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author MODULAR: The Documentary
metasonix
rlainhart wrote:
Analog Heaven is full of guys like this, who're more concerned about the serial number or rarity of a piece of hardware than what it actually sounds like.

Just be glad there is now an alternative, full of people who actually make music with the stuff. 12 years ago when I started selling things, Analogue Heaven and rec.music.makers.synth were all there was for a "synth community" online. And r.m.m.s was more-or-less ignored--AH ruled all the discussion.

I suspect that if you took today's Makenoise or Kilpatrick or Intellijel or FOH modules back to 1999 and let the AH guys of the period play with them, they'd go back to their computers and post "this thing I just tried is crap, it sounds awful, it's so weird, it's not vintage" or suchlike. Pretty much what AH guys would say today, in fact. It is a community that was seized by some of its worst trolls early on, and is now a monoculture. I see similar places all over the internet today, in every possible field of knowledge.

Wanna see a small example of the attitudes of 1999? Try this thread.

I'm just glad the MODULAR producers didn't rely entirely on AH people. They'd have a film about deviant psychopathology, not a film about modular synths.
Peake
Thank heaven for Makenoise and Kilpatrick and Intellijel and FOH modules.
Phollop Willing PA
Rod Serling Fan Club wrote:

I thought that was a strange way to end the “trailer” too. One of the major questions the film-makers felt needed to be answered on this documentary, is whether or not there might be some people out there who buy a modular system and don’t use it? I suspect this isn’t very common. There might be a lot of people who aren’t making a living with their modular but I kind of doubt there are many people that buy a new modular as home décor. In my opinion it kind of set a negative tone that is purely speculative and more to the point, not particularly interesting even if it were true. I’m sure I’ll watch this but I hope this isn’t indicative of the depth of the documentary.

Unfortunatly, as much as I love the MacBeth M5 and it's sound, I have to admit that my first go to analogue synth is usually the Moog Voyager and my 'farting around' synth is a Korg M3. However, that being said, when I do have a lot of time, and not being in a rush, I can spend hours on the M5 jamming and contemplation.

In the end, the Macbeth may end up being 'home décor' in my daughter house. It is beautiful thing to look at and to place figurines on top of.
skkatter
All these ruffians buying things! I personally blame capitalism.
Funky40
having a focus into several directions is a very good thing.
I enjoyed very much looking that trailer !
..and i'm a i hate watching TV guy".......but if it's good wink
you got me hot to see that one

rlainhart wrote:

But the film is only half-shot, if that, and could take a completely different direction when it's done. We can only wait and see. My impression, though, is that it's directed towards a general public, most of whom have no idea why someone would buy and use a modular in the first place, and who would presumably like to understand why. The collection or exhibition rather than the use of these instruments is certainly a factor, and one that should be addressed in such a discussion. Like you, I'll be disappointed if that's the only focus.

Limey
is it out yet?
poppinger
Limey wrote:
is it out yet?

Read somewhere else (not sure where?) that there's still quite a bit of shooting to do over on the west coast for that end of things and in Europe.
b3nsf
BOOM! can't wait! w00t
JohnLRice
Christopher Winkels wrote:
When I had 22 spaces of MU my wife hated it.
Now that I have 88 spaces of MU my wife still hates it.
So I might as well have 132 spaces of MU.

hmmm.....
thumbs up applause It's motherfucking bacon yo
minime123
cant wait to see this!
mini
Zenn
essex sound lab wrote:
yipe wrote:
Where can a fella catch totally wired on the web?

http://www.realeyz.tv/en/niamh-guckian-ahern-totally-wired_cont1319.ht ml

Also, some of the interview segments are up on YouTube.

thumbs up
s o l v e n t
Hi,

As some of you may know, I have been helping out Robert, the filmmaker, with this project. As of yesterday, I have officially signed on as a producer for this film, so I'll be having a lot more direct involvement, moving forward.

Just wanted to let you know that you have a direct contact on MW for any questions about the film. And as for *the* FAQ: ETA for completion is looking like mid-late-2012.

Please note - it does get overwhelming and tedious (sorry) to have message after message from people saying things like "You have to include Trent Reznor", "this film won't be complete without an interview with Dieter Doepfer" etc etc etc. There are a lot more interviews in the works, but if you expect that anybody and everybody that you think must be featured will be featured, you will be disappointed. I think the quality of the trailer speaks for the quality that you can expect from the film, but keep in mind that films are usually 2 hours long, not 20. Also everything is being done independently by 1 person (now 2) with limited resources.

Just to let you know what is being tentatively planned at this point in time:

- Montreal visit sometime in the next 2 months.

- West Coast (LA/SF/Seattle/Vancouver/etc) visit Dec/Jan

- Germany/UK visits March/April

If you're from one of these places we've already been in touch, I will definitely be in touch with you again soon so that we can schedule an interview. If you're from one of these places and haven't been in touch, but think you would make a good interview subject for the film, please get in touch (see below).

Please, no suggestions for people to talk to in these locations, unless you have direct contact information for me. I know that Trent Reznor is in LA, I know that Richie Hawtin is in Berlin, I know that Radiohead is in the UK, etc etc. We live in the same city as Deadmau5 & we haven't even managed to make direct contact with him (yet)... These people are difficult to get into contact with and have very busy schedules! Direct contact info is really the only useful information to pass on to me.

Additionally, some remote interviews have also been discussed with Make Noise+RDevine, and STG... depending on how those go we may look into doing more.

Also, even though the film will only be film-length, there will be LOTS of additional DVD/online extra content, things like full interviews etc.

We are also going to start a Kickstarter campaign in the near future - this is something new to myself and Robert, so if anyone has any ideas or advice about creating a successful Kickstarter campaign, please get in touch (see below).

thanks!

Jason

***NOTE*** email contact is strongly preferred over PMs!:
solvent [at] solventcity [dotcom].
Rod Serling Fan Club
@Solvent

FWIW – If you are interested in interviewing Nyle Steiner, member dingebre on this forum is in regular contact with him.

I believe Ken Stone (member otherunicorn) is in contact with Serge Tcherepnin.

Everything I’ve heard and read about Rex Probe, he sounds like he would make great interview fodder just for his craziness/eccentricity. He is easy enough to get in contact with, just call STS.

I think George Mattson (member mmm) has contact with Billy Corgan who is apparently a modular nut (if you’re looking for “famous” people). Mattson is a manufacturer himself with history.
Limey
poppinger wrote:
Limey wrote:
is it out yet?

Read somewhere else (not sure where?) that there's still quite a bit of shooting to do over on the west coast for that end of things and in Europe.
is it out yet? (hides) Guinness ftw!
sgnhh
i loved the trailer. can't wait to see the finished product.
s o l v e n t
Rod Serling Fan Club wrote:
@Solvent

FWIW – If you are interested in interviewing Nyle Steiner, member dingebre on this forum is in regular contact with him.

I believe Ken Stone (member otherunicorn) is in contact with Serge Tcherepnin.

Everything I’ve heard and read about Rex Probe, he sounds like he would make great interview fodder just for his craziness/eccentricity. He is easy enough to get in contact with, just call STS.

I think George Mattson (member mmm) has contact with Billy Corgan who is apparently a modular nut (if you’re looking for “famous” people). Mattson is a manufacturer himself with history.

Thank you these are some great ideas/leads. We are already in contact with George Mattson & have tentative plans to interview him - I will ask about Billy Corgan. What or who is "STS"?
Bricks
Sound Transform Systems - it is the company name Rex uses to make Serge stuff
Reality Checkpoint
STS is Sound Transform Systems of Hartland, Wisconsin who produce Serge modules. They can be contacted on 262 367 3030. Make sure you have plenty of time on your hands when calling, as Rex is a real talker!
skkatter
STS = Sound Transform Systems, the Serge company, ie Rex Probe.
CursedFrogurt
s o l v e n t wrote:
What or who is "STS"?

[edit ] Very cosmic.
Peake
I hear that Mr. Buchla is still active in the synthesizer business wink

Great project, all the best!!
s o l v e n t
Peake wrote:
I hear that Mr. Buchla is still active in the synthesizer business wink

Great project, all the best!!

yes mr Subotnick has reached out to him and it sounds like a good possibility that he will be interviewed
diophantine
Looking forward to this! The Subotnick interview clips in particular had me wanting to see (hear?) a lot more.

You should definitely try and interview Ed Buller (Node, Psychedelic Furs, etc.) Pretty sure he's based in London at the moment. He's active here (as, oddly enough, "ed buller"), has an AMAZING synth, and even better: he makes fantastic music with it.
computer controlled
Will be interesting to see some of the Seattle interviews =o] If there's anyway i can help, let me know.
s o l v e n t
Are there any modular-using artists besides yourself in Seattle that we should talk to?

We are really lacking in live modular performance shots - you perform with a modular right? Wonder if we could try to get a gig lined up to coincide with our visit?

computer controlled wrote:
Will be interesting to see some of the Seattle interviews =o] If there's anyway i can help, let me know.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 4 of 7