MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sound Transform Systems by Rich Gold and other Serge books?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Sound Transform Systems by Rich Gold and other Serge books?
hellohihowareyou
Just diving into the Serge world finally and came across a mention of "Sound Transform Systems by Rich Gold" over on the STS site (http://www.serge-fans.com/wizardry.htm under 'The Gold Book' header.)

I couldn't turn up anything on google about it though. Does anyone have a copy of it or know where to get one?

Any other recommended reading material for someone long into modulars and synthesis but new to Serge?

If you tell me that "there are no rules man and you need to just like feel it 'cause it's a SERGE man and you can plug anything anywhere it's about just like letting your mind be free" then I will hate you. I have read every module description and many posts on here and I'm just looking for anything else that might be insightful.

<3
dougt
That was the user manual you got when you bought a Serge. At least you used to get it. Dunno if Rex still provides it.
hellohihowareyou
Ah, OK. It says on the STS site that there isn't a copyright for it so if anyone has a digital copy, you should post it! 8_)
rastko
Hi,

You have the link on Carbons site http://www.carbon111.com/serge.html . Take the catalogue as well.

Have a nice day

Rastko
Nils
Serge-fans.com is not an STS site, it's independent.
STS doesn't have a site.

On carbon's site you'll also find the unauhorized Creature manual by Ken Tkacs (did I get that right?), which is an easy and informative read.

There's also Ken Stone's site, which is full of 70s Serge documentation.
serge.synth.net
Nils
STS does not provide any info at all with their systems, not even how to connect the PSD, PSU and panel together.
franzschuier
Nils wrote:
STS does not provide any info at all with their systems, not even how to connect the PSD, PSU and panel together.

Rex did send me the Gold Book via email prior my first purchase. And if you ask polite he will tell you how to connect stuff. hihi thumbs up
hellohihowareyou
While Serge Fans isn't an official STS site, it is centered entirely around their products with an updated price list. It must be at least endorsed by STS.
hellohihowareyou
Thanks for the heads up on Carbon111 by the way. I hadn't noticed the documentation before! w00t
mermott
By the way Rich Gold also published "The Plenitude: Creativity, Innovation and Making Stuff" (MIT Press) and was involved in the League of Automatic Composers. There was a great compilation on the spanish Alku label a couple of years ago. They were building networks for performances with very primitive computers.
Babaluma
He also wrote Activision's "Little Computer People", which I usd to lovingly play on my Commodore 64 as a very young teenager. RIP.
CJ Miller
mermott wrote:
By the way Rich Gold also published "The Plenitude: Creativity, Innovation and Making Stuff" (MIT Press) and was involved in the League of Automatic Composers. There was a great compilation on the spanish Alku label a couple of years ago. They were building networks for performances with very primitive computers.

Yesyes. I do intend to read "The Plentitude" sometime. LAC was brilliant, a precursor to The Hub, who Rich was also involved with early on.

He was an interesting man, and he is missed.
chamomileshark
It's a great read even if you don't have a Serge.
don h
The Gold book and more can be found here:
http://www.serge.synth.net/index.html
Nils
franzschuier wrote:
Rex did send me the Gold Book via email prior my first purchase. And if you ask polite he will tell you how to connect stuff. hihi thumbs up

Rex is certainly helpful, both on the phone and on email.
I do think a simple "how to connect" should be included though.
Nils
hellohihowareyou wrote:
While Serge Fans isn't an official STS site, it is centered entirely around their products with an updated price list. It must be at least endorsed by STS.

It is, and it's maintained by a fellow wiggler.
B-ry
Try this link:

http://www.carbon111.com/serge_spreadsheet.html
batchas
B-ry wrote:
Try this link:

http://www.carbon111.com/serge_spreadsheet.html

I think after 7 years he might have found what he was looking for.
sempervirent
Haha... actually I was glad for the necro-bump because I never noticed the 1982 Serge catalog on the Carbon111 website... pretty cool.
batchas
sempervirent wrote:
Haha... actually I was glad for the necro-bump because I never noticed the 1982 Serge catalog on the Carbon111 website... pretty cool.

Haha! Then it was indeed worth it w00t
I must admit I always have doubts when I see series of first posts exclusively bumping necros, but knowing now that it also profits to others, teaches me that I was wrong.

Diverse docs about electronics and a few Serge docs collected here too (bottom page): here.

EDIT: the 2nd sentence did not make sense. I guess a part was deleted, so I corrected this.
Prunesquallor
Wow, Batchas! Thanks for sharing this treasure trove! we're not worthy
lud
Thanks for sharing Batchas, lots of interesting reading there! we're not worthy
B-ry
Yes, what lud said, thanks for all the info.

Serge world is a mysterious and intriguing place. It’s nice to find some sort of map.

Cheers!
batchas
You're welcome thumbs up
revtor
The Serge unofficial Creature guidebook is a good one for a mix of basic and deeper Serge wizardry..

Nice archive there Batchas
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2