Dave Jones Design flood

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa, daverj

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

Dave Jones Design flood

Post by daverj » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:53 am

Hi, Just wanted to check in here. I probably won't be in here for a week or so.

Owego,NY where I am located was just hit by the worst flood we've had since the 1930s. 99% of the town was flooded. My office and manufacturing building was surrounded by water but everything important is on the 2nd floor so should survive.

Currently no electricity in the area and the town is locked down by National Guard, so I can't get in to either my house or my offices/workshop. The electricity at the office will have to be rebuilt before I can get back to designing and building video synths.

I spent a couple of days in a Red Cross shelter and am now with friends about 50 miles north.

I just wanted to touch base here and let people know that my business is temporarily closed, but should be back running in a few weeks.

I have limited access to the net, so probably won't be in here for a while.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:08 am

Yikes. Hope your house has some elevation. Yesterday I ran into a guy I knew who'd moved to Rochester. He was here getting away from all that.
:boat:

PhineasFreak
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by PhineasFreak » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:30 am

damn - my sympathies are with you, hope you can back up'n'running without too much suffering...

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:55 am

wow Dave, hope this resolves soon
safe travels

lizlarsen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lizlarsen » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:28 pm

That sounds terrible!! I hope everything is resolved quickly and with minimal loss of property.

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:33 pm

That's terrible Dave.
I hope your losses are minimal.

When I saw the thread title I thought this would be the announcement of the flood of modules you are about to unleash. :waah:

Good luck getting everything back in order.

snufkin
Ultra Wiggler

Post by snufkin » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:14 pm

Dave that seriously sux

glad everything is OK in-terms of people being un harmed

hope you get back on form asap

thanks for sharing so much of you knowledge and hope you get your new video modules out as soon as you can

stay safe (i'm sure you will :mrgreen: )
WTB: any Digisound80 / Digisound 80 faceplates/pcbs/kits.

revmutt
Knutty For Knobs

Post by revmutt » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:48 pm

Good luck Dave.
Tommy DOG
Punk Rock Star, gambler and stunt double

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:52 pm

So sorry to hear this Dave!

decaying.sine
Broken <--> Fixed

Post by decaying.sine » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:55 pm

Best wishes Dave.
Brian
"I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create." William Blake

"Vactrols ringing, Dude." "Thank you Donny"

bitSmasher
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bitSmasher » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:06 am

Cat-A-Tonic wrote:When I saw the thread title I thought this would be the announcement of the flood of modules you are about to unleash. :waah:
I was bracing myself for a thread full of things to buy.

senecio
Common Wiggler

Post by senecio » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:34 pm

Sorry to hear this Dave! Glad you are okay, and I hope your life gets back to normal as soon as possible.

barto
Veteran Wiggler

Post by barto » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:07 pm

this is bad news. good luck dave

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:04 pm

Dave, I had seen videos of the flooding in Owego and was wondering how you made out. Best wishes for getting your business going again.
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

Post by daverj » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:47 am

Hi everybody.

It took 4 weeks, but we finally have electricity restored to the building after being knocked out by the flood. The place is still damp and musty smelling (furnaces were destroyed, so no heat for the near future). I have a dehumidifier, air filter, and small electric heater on their way. Hopefully arriving this week.

Here's a couple photos of Owego the day after the flood. The first is the downtown area. The second is downtown and west side of town. The downtown area was actually the least flooded of the town.

It feels good to finally be back at my computer and be able to get back to work. Though I didn't just sit around for the past 4 weeks. I did have a pad of paper and a pen and spent a lot of time designing circuits.

Lots of cleanup and work to get done here, so I probably won't spend as much time online as before the flood, for a while at least. But I am back and will pop in regularly.

lizlarsen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lizlarsen » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:04 am

Wow, those pictures are crazy! That must have been so scary.
Glad to hear you're getting back into things.

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:28 pm

lots of beautiful old buildings there, hope they are ok too. Its probably not their 1st flood?

bitSmasher
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bitSmasher » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:30 am

water water everywhere, and the plug's stuck in the sink

kjellb
Common Wiggler

Post by kjellb » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:50 am

Great to know Dave is back. I am eagerly waiting for the new modules to be released. I know Dave came up with new design ideas during this period.
Keith Rowe's recent performance in Alfred featured a new Jones design named the "Flood Coil" improvised from old parts and mounted on cardboard.

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

Post by daverj » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:50 am

The area does flood once in a while, but the center of town hasn't flooded in more than 70 years. Most businesses lost everything on their 1st floor. I only know of one that actually cleared out 70% of their stuff the day before. The predictions were that it wasn't going to be deep enough to flood the center of town.

Yeah, I did get to hang out with Kjell Bjorgeengen and Keith Rowe for several days last week, and built a video electromagnetic field generator that let Keith pick up sounds from the video using a telephone pickup coil and another signal from a radio. We called it a "flood coil" since it wouldn't have been built if not for the flood. It was made from old parts from Harald Bode's spare parts bin from the 60's and 70's, and his son Peer's left over parts from workshops I ran in the 80's.

I'll post a picture later.

If you haven't heard of Keith Rowe, look him up on the web. He's a pretty amazing guy. He and Kjell have been doing improvisational video/audio performances for a couple of years around the world.

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

Post by daverj » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:32 am

The "Flood Coil". A small video amplifier and coil driver connected to four handwound coils on a piece of cardboard. The triangular coil (behind the radio antenna) was the most interesting sounding.

Kjell and Keith during their performance:

lizlarsen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lizlarsen » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:23 am

Very cool! Great photos.

nickciontea
brownshoesonly

Post by nickciontea » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:25 pm

Still love hearing about your upcoming system in random threads

How have things been going with the turn of the new year? any new saucy details?

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

Post by daverj » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:41 am

It's finally starting to feel like progress. A couple more of the modules have reached their final prototype versions (I tend to keep redoing new prototypes until I am satisfied a design really works the way I want). The initial lineup is finally taking shape.

Since my system involves a number of simple utility modules as well as the complex processing modules, I'm trying to get some of them ready for release at the same time as the core modules and first couple of processing modules.

Just got blank boards back for the Jones to LZX / LZX to Jones level converter module (4 channels each direction), so people with LZX systems can start adding Jones modules without needing two complete systems.

Pictures and details of the initial modules will be coming soon.

nickciontea
brownshoesonly

Post by nickciontea » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:52 am

great deal.. Im ready to start expanding into the unknown!

Return to “Video Synthesis”