MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Heads up Tenori On £209!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tenori-On Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Heads up Tenori On £209!
tIB
tIB dont do video... tIB do audio:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/t1b/ten-minutes-of-tenori-on[/s]

to quote my soundcloud:

Quote:
first plays, arrived 3 hours ago. first two bits tenori only, 2nd two sequencing xpander and providing drums, ran through bugbrand pt delay (and EuF in the last bit). love
Kent
It's not discontinued, guys. We just have too damn many of the Orange ones in stock (in Europe) and need to move 'em out. This is a temporary price drop, but should be good for a few months at the expected sell rate.
tIB
mini review:

^ its a ton of fun(K)! a really interesting rhythm sequencer- polyriddim central, kind i wish i had it whilst the MD was around, though Id imagine getting it to play nice may have been an issue. yeah its good, soundwise 90 percent of it is shite but theres enough to keep me interested as a sequencer for sure. uploaded my own samples earlier, didnt take anywhere near as long as i expected, plays nice, a real shame there's not more user banks... more would most definitely be nice, as would a better sound bank full stop. I definitely like it though, i like it a lot!
Pfurmel
It sounds great with the EuF! I think I might take advantage of the price drop.
So has anyone used one with the modular yet?
tIB
Everything sounds great with euf! (The bug delay is also adding some distortion, really nice gain/dist on the preamps.)

Tenori to modular this morning...
tIB
OK, so after an hour or so sending the T-O into the modular (via pro2000) I can safely say its incredible and at 200 quid an absolute bargain.

unfortunately my GT9 is broke so I could sequence modular percussion with it, though I had some heavily processed bug samples. sequencing the modular are 2 machines- a random and a bounce... its seriously amazing!

[s]http://soundcloud.com/tib/tenori-vs-eurorack[/s]

everyone with any kind of midi-cv should own one of these things!
theabsent
Is it possible to send note information to multiple midi channels (multitimbral)?
tIB
^ thats pretty much the only way it send midi data- each channel has its own midi track.
theabsent
I'll find the manual then... might be great with MCV24 and
http://www.engineersatwork.nl/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/58/produc ts_id/536 plus
http://www.doepfer.de/MTV16.htm
tIB
it surely would!

i have an MT9 I was going to use it with but its not working atm...
Pfurmel
tIB wrote:
OK, so after an hour or so sending the T-O into the modular (via pro2000) I can safely say its incredible and at 200 quid an absolute bargain.

Lovely demo, thats me sold.
tIB
^ hurrah, that was pretty much my intention!
phono1337
Kent wrote:
It's not discontinued, guys. We just have too damn many of the Orange ones in stock (in Europe) and need to move 'em out. This is a temporary price drop, but should be good for a few months at the expected sell rate.

yeah you cant even give them away....oh wait lol applause

just pulled the trigger on one, always wanted one and at that price its a no brainer
richard
bollocks Tib

I am trying to be a good man but you are not helping

that last demo sounds very interesting,

shit, need to sell this bloody Blofeld
Kent
phono1337 wrote:

yeah you cant even give them away....oh wait lol applause

8_) Yeah, I'd pretty much forgotten about that! The choice wasn't related to that at the time though.
aksen
tIB wrote:
http://soundcloud.com/tib/tenori-vs-eurorack

you bastard. you owe me credit card money now due to that demo Dead Banana

ah who needs to save for a house anyway! w00t
tIB
richard wrote:
bollocks Tib

I am trying to be a good man but you are not helping

that last demo sounds very interesting,

shit, need to sell this bloody Blofeld

ironic given i was seriously looking at your blofeld but spent the money on the tenori... seems it would make a great partner for the tenori too... but i cant because im skint.

nice to see im dragging more folk into financial irresponsibility... ah demos, makes it easier to sleep at night knowing others will do the same!
Umcorps
Just to butt in with my experience of T-O and midi which have been mixed.

Long story cut short is I've found its most useful when you go indirectly to the modular, especially if you have a monophonic midi/cv converter. As each layer of the T-O is on a different channel you really need to merge them down to get complex sequences going.

Also, its easier to re-channel layers in software than it is poking around in the T-Os menu system.

The other thing to watch out for is that the T-O sends out a bunch of sysex any time you perform almost any action on it. That's nice for linking them together in an intelligent way but kills some midi interfaces.

In particular any interface based around the MCV876 seems to hang every time it gets sysex from the T-O so you need to filter that stuff out before it goes anywhere.

This pissed me off greatly as I had big hopes for pairing up my Tinysizer directly with the T-O as a mobile synth/seq rig but they just won't play nice without putting a MidiPipe filter between them. very frustrating

That said, when it does work its big fun. Cue the chance to resurrect an old video of me putting the T-O to do CV sequencing duties.

richard
Sorry Tib, what I meant to write was that that demo sounds shit, perhaps you would like to swap that crappy plastic Tenori On for a Blofeld?

It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners It's peanut butter jelly time!
tIB
^ the tempatation to use this f u proved too strong!

Whilst Im tempted Im way out of funds and don't need it anyway.

of course, the temptation to ask if it has the sample upgrade and my own stupidity is just as strong as the pull of rude smilies...
richard
nope, f'raid not
tIB
still a great price, though Ill sleep better tonight.
relaxing
Umcorps wrote:
Just to butt in with my experience of T-O and midi which have been mixed.

Long story cut short is I've found its most useful when you go indirectly to the modular, especially if you have a monophonic midi/cv converter. As each layer of the T-O is on a different channel you really need to merge them down to get complex sequences going.

Also, its easier to re-channel layers in software than it is poking around in the T-Os menu system.

The other thing to watch out for is that the T-O sends out a bunch of sysex any time you perform almost any action on it. That's nice for linking them together in an intelligent way but kills some midi interfaces.

In particular any interface based around the MCV876 seems to hang every time it gets sysex from the T-O so you need to filter that stuff out before it goes anywhere.

This pissed me off greatly as I had big hopes for pairing up my Tinysizer directly with the T-O as a mobile synth/seq rig but they just won't play nice without putting a MidiPipe filter between them. very frustrating

That said, when it does work its big fun. Cue the chance to resurrect an old video of me putting the T-O to do CV sequencing duties.

It works great with the Encore Expressionist... 8 channels of polyrhythmic 16-step CV-controlled fun MY ASS IS BLEEDING

The tracks on the Soundcloud link in my sig are all Tenori-on, single take, stock sounds. Making a glacial ambient album on the TO was particularly challenging as there aren't many sounds with slow attacks, but that major downside was slightly offset by the ability to
1) write music in bed
2) 16x16 step sequences with independent lengths, timings, and timbres blah blah... makes working around limitations like fixed note length/sequence not so bad and leads to many "happy accidents"
3) abuse Yamaha's incredibly trashy rompler engine by pitching samples down -5 octaves, which timestretches the samples and brings out neat aliasing artifacts, although seriously fuck Yamaha and their shitty synth, "Advanced Wave Modeling" what a joke
Dead Banana

On the upside, getting frustrated with the TO's stock sounds has led me on my current journey of turning my modular into a 4 voice polysynth to be driven by the TO. Now I just need to get back in the studio and record...
tIB
in contrast your rather lovely tenori sounds I did this earlier:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/t1b/tenori-on-vs-bugbrand-modular[/s]

bug modular vs tenori-on. T-O doing all the sequencing, bugbrand doing 90% of the sounds (a bugbrand drum set courtesy of daren ager).

@ relaxing: thanks for the octave shifting tips. some lovely stuff there, just going through them now. look forward to hearing your 4 voice poly stuff, I managed that in modular for a brief spell- 2 HD into 2 QMMG with 2 maths. youll do better with the expressionist that I did with the kenton thats for sure.
ersatzplanet
Umcorps wrote:

That is my biggest problem with it. I have had the metal version for some time now - maybe a year. It is a great little machine to jam up tunes on and to control other machines. The internal sounds are pretty J-pop sounding and the three user loadable sounds are cool but it take FOREVER to load them from the SD card. There are a few actions that when don sent a tone of sysex as mentioned. My MIDI switcher will change channels etc. I commonly plug directly into a spare laptop running Reason with a special patch built just for the T-O. The sysex stuff messes with Reason also. If you are using internal delay in reason synced to the MIDI, it will lose sync for a little bit when you do some things - sounds like it is bending notes cause it changes time. Another annoyance is that if left sitting for a while it will jump into "Clock mode" where it shows the time in large numerals an moving second dot.

The advanced mode is something you have to do for sure. This allows you to change the track modes and save them. This way you can remove some of the less useful modes (for me those are the Random and bouncing ball ones) and program in the tracks to default to the way you want. I have a bunch of Score Modes and Draw Modes and a few Push Modes and a Solo Mode on mine. The Draw Mode will act like a typical sequencer and you can play in phrases and they will be recorded with all the timing etc. The problem is the syncing will off if you stop and reset the Score tracks. The "start" of the Draw track is not as obvious as the Score tracks.

If you want to see a MASTER at work on the Tenori-On then do a google "King Tet Tenori-on" - that cat can program the shit out of the thing. Go to his YouTube channel and see that this machine can do some serious stuff when plugged to outside gear.

Also - Buy a spare MIDI cable - they break easily.

-James
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tenori-On Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 2 of 3