MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Heads up Tenori On £209!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tenori-On Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 [all]
Author Heads up Tenori On £209!
Nelson Baboon
Can the sequencer send out midi cc?
tIB
Don't think so- AFAIK its note data only.
Nelson Baboon
ah, well. That's too bad. Won't buy one, then.
ersatzplanet
Nelson Baboon wrote:

The only non-notr MIDI events the T-O can send are Volume control for each MIDI channel, Master Volume, Master Tune, and Continue. It can receive a bunch of stuff - these can change depending on which mode you are in (as a master or slave). The MIDI chart is on page 115 of the manual which you can get here:
www.global.yamaha.com/tenori-on/downloads/pdf/manual.pdf

All the other manuals - Quick Start, Precautions, User Voice Manager manual - can be found here:
http://www.global.yamaha.com/tenori-on/downloads/

I think the sales of the unit started to fall a little when the iPad version came out. The iPad version is quite faithful to the hardware one but of course lacks the tactile feel, blinky lights, user voice function (I wonder about that decision - yeesh), and MIDI (without an adaptor).
-James
tIB
yeah, its by no means a fully featured sequencer- it somehow manages to combine extremely limited with some more advanced sequencer features. there's fun to be had, though I suspect its failings would drive you mad. I love it, it's music tetris.
Umcorps
Nelson Baboon wrote:

Nope.

Which is another good/bad reason for using an indirect connection.

Converting note to CC is pretty trivial in software - I have a Logic environment to do T-O conversions/channel merges. But that means I have to have a computer in the chain and thats not what I'm interested in just now.

If you don't mind using software as an intermediary the T-O is a really interesting controller. It's such a shame that there isn't enough flexibility in the current firmware to allow you to use it as such on its own.
Nelson Baboon
Umcorps wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

Nope.

Converting note to CC is pretty trivial in software - I have a Logic environment to do T-O conversions/channel merges. But that means I have to have a computer in the chain and thats not what I'm interested in just now.

If you don't mind using software as an intermediary the T-O is a really interesting controller. It's such a shame that there isn't enough flexibility in the current firmware to allow you to use it as such on its own.

I have enough sequencing, that relying on conversion of data through logic or some other software makes the whole thing unappealing to me.
tIB
As a MIDI controller it seems too much a PITA.... Perfect for people with multiple channels of MIDI-CV to send voltage into a modular though.

If nothing else its confirmed to me that I'm much happier with sequencers with keys/buttons than I am with a bunch of knobs.
relaxing
Umcorps wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:

Nope.

Just out of curiosity, what's the application for this? (Turning MIDI note # into MIDI CC?)

In any case, it definitely sends some CC's... bank select screws me up sometimes because the Expressionist listens to it. I'm pretty sure the per-channel pan control is sent too.
Umcorps
relaxing wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what's the application for this? (Turning MIDI note # into MIDI CC?)

I'm talking about using Apple Logic

There's a thing called the Environment in there which is a sort of virtual modular for midi. Very simple to do basic transforms like this.

But I'm fairly sure you can do the same thing for free with MidiPipe. It's been a long time since I used Windows but I think MidiOx would do the same thing as well.
relaxing
Umcorps wrote:
relaxing wrote:

I'm talking about using Apple Logic

There's a thing called the Environment in there which is a sort of virtual modular for midi. Very simple to do basic transforms like this.

But I'm fairly sure you can do the same thing for free with MidiPipe. It's been a long time since I used Windows but I think MidiOx would do the same thing as well.

Oops, I meant "application" as in "what do you do with those CC's that you can't do with MIDI notes?"
Umcorps
Sorry. Got lost in translation!

I guess it depends on your midi/CV interface but, as mine is just one channel (A-190-1), converting notes to CC gives me a second set of C/Vs to play with.
relaxing
Oh, weird. If there's already a second DAC in there, making it listen to a second MIDI channel rather than CC's should be a simple software problem.

(Edit) It looks like you only get one gate, though? Odd. Someone must make a better converter for frac?
digital_steve
Where the hell are all these cheap tenori's!?
aksen
digital_steve wrote:

i ordered mine from here:

http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/Yamaha-Tenori-On-Orange-Sampler-Se quencer/art-SYN0003619-000

20 euros for shipping to australia, and you can remove VAT, so it comes to around $310 landed here. obviously hasn't arrived yet as i only ordered it on friday, but i've ordered from this place before.
digital_steve
aksen wrote:
digital_steve wrote:

i ordered mine from here:

http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/Yamaha-Tenori-On-Orange-Sampler-Se quencer/art-SYN0003619-000

20 euros for shipping to australia, and you can remove VAT, so it comes to around $310 landed here. obviously hasn't arrived yet as i only ordered it on friday, but i've ordered from this place before.

Nice one! Cheers
... can you order me one too, i'm a bit short.
d'oh!
aksen
hehe this was the straw that broke my credit card's back this month...
digital_steve
Last payment on a Voyager XL broke mine... but i shan't mention it too loud, as it's not a popular synth around most parts... shhhh thumbs up

I'd like the black and white tenori... but that's the uber expensive one with sampling, artificial intelligence and dishwashing capability. I hate orange!
Madrayken
relaxing wrote:

The tracks on the Soundcloud link in my sig are all Tenori-on, single take, stock sounds. Making a glacial ambient album on the TO was particularly challenging as there aren't many sounds with slow attacks

Holy crap.
1) I have owned a white Tenori-On for years
2) I write ambient droney-stuff

I had given up on the device as a viable source for this kind of work - unless massively granular-processed.

You've inspired me, sir.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tenori-On Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 [all]
Page 3 of 3