MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Doepfer A-160, A161 help
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Doepfer A-160, A161 help
SMAffucci
hi yall.

Have a quick question and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

The 160 seems to work fine, divides a clock from a LFO etc, but the 161 is just frozen it is connected correctly to the 160, but just does nothing. It is usually just frozen on #3( it lights up on a frozen number)., but if i send a reset into the 160, the 161 jumps to #1 and stays frozen there. it's all hooked up correctly and I can't seems to figure out why this would be.

anyone with any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

sEan
Tim Stinchcombe
SMAffucci wrote:
It is usually just frozen on #3( it lights up on a frozen number)., but if i send a reset into the 160, the 161 jumps to #1 and stays frozen there.
Sounds like the 161 isn't seeing the clock from the 160, hence why no action, but is seeing the reset line OK, hence why it jumps to step 1. The connecting cable would be a good place to start: try it with a different one if you have another - a 10- to 16-way or even a 16- to 16-way could be used, just overhang the longer end of the socket off the end of the plug on the PCB (but make real sure you get the correct one-to-one pin alignment at each end!).

Tim
SMAffucci
thanks for the suggestion Tim. I tried with a 16 pin (alignment correct) and had the same result. frozen. What do you think my next move should be?

again thanks for the input.

Sean
haven
Probably best would be to contact Doepfer support - either community based via the Yahoo group or direct via hardware@doepfer.de

I have had very fast and helpful communication from them via hardware@doepfer.de in the past. Usually a detailed response within 24 hours - but not on weekends smile
SMAffucci
thanks, I'll send them an email.

much appreciated

Sean
Tim Stinchcombe
SMAffucci wrote:
I tried with a 16 pin (alignment correct) and had the same result. frozen.
Darn! That would have been the easiest to rectify.
SMAffucci wrote:
What do you think my next move should be?
Well there isn't really much to either module, so tracing the signal path of the clock/trigger signal to see if there is an open circuit or bad joint somewhere is about all that is left.

On the A-160, the trigger first passes through the leftmost 47k, Q1 and the 10k immediately to its right - you know these are good. For the A-161, it then goes through the next 47k in from the edge of the board, through Q2/the second 10k, to the 'C' pin on the 10-way connector (second down on lefthand column, with faceplate toward you, looking at top - it is marked on the silkscreen printing). From this same pin on the A-161 it goes directly to pin 14 of the 4017 IC, and that is it.

If you can't spot an obvious break, and you have a soldering iron, you could just reflow all the joints thereabouts. If that doesn't fix it, then next most likely cause is either a bad Q2 on the A-160, or a bad 4017 on the A-161 (but since it does see the reset, and so partially works, I would expect that is OK). Oh, and check that Q1 and Q2 are both the same, and mounted facing the same way...

Tim
SMAffucci
hey Tim thanks.

not noticing any bad or broken connections, perhaps I'll try to resolder all the connections regarding q1 and q2 as well as the resistors in that chain. if that doesn't work, I'll try to buy a new q2 transistor, as I wait for doepfer to respond to the email I sent them.

thanks again for the input.

Sean
SMAffucci
hello

anyone happen to know the pin-out configuration of the 10 pin interconnect cable between the 160 to 161? want to hook my multi meter up to see why
my 161 get's power but not clock.

thanks

sEan
SMAffucci
i see Tim has already posted the clock pins for what I asked,.. I'll try to see what's up with it and let ya know

thanks.

sean
Tim Stinchcombe
SMAffucci wrote:
anyone happen to know the pin-out configuration of the 10 pin interconnect cable between the 160 to 161?
It's printed on the 160, right next to the 10-way header: two '+' are both 12V; 'C' for clock, 'R' for reset, the only signals used; 'bar C' & 'bar R' for 'not clock', and 'not reset', i.e. inverted signals, but these aren't connected on the 161; and the four inverted Ts are all grounds.

Tim
dougcl
Tim Stinchcombe wrote:
SMAffucci wrote:
anyone happen to know the pin-out configuration of the 10 pin interconnect cable between the 160 to 161?
It's printed on the 160, right next to the 10-way header: two '+' are both 12V; 'C' for clock, 'R' for reset, the only signals used; 'bar C' & 'bar R' for 'not clock', and 'not reset', i.e. inverted signals, but these aren't connected on the 161; and the four inverted Ts are all grounds.

Tim

Holy crap the "not clock" is exactly what he needs for the M29! Ha ha, Sean get your hacksaw and soldering iron (kidding, kinda).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1