MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioWiggler Radio   SearchSearch   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsBlog & News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 

Minimal Techno Recommendations
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Minimal Techno Recommendations

wavecircle

Jan Jelinek (Farben), Ryoji Ikeda, Rob Babicz.

Anything on Raster Noton.

Red Electric Rainbow

wavecircle wrote:
Jan Jelinek (Farben), Ryoji Ikeda, Rob Babicz.

Anything on Raster Noton.

Truth. Mark Fell, SND, COH, Ikeda, etc.

Also check out Marcel Dettmann. Pretty sick. Although not quite techno, give Patrice Scott a listen, and of course DJ Sprinkles 'Midtown 120 Blues' which is deep house, but to the next level.

Studio One as well.

papercutnoise

So many suggestions here! All very much appreciated smile

Loving what I've checked out so far, but still got a good few more to make my way through.

Emptyset and Sleeparchive have to be my favourites so far.

Babaluma

i'm a big fan of the early 90's german techno scene, a lot of it is pretty minimal, oliver lieb (spicelab), hardfloor, the early harthouse compilations etc.

Liddlepud

Probably not as dark as you're looking for but the new John Tejada album, Parabalas, is excellent and I read an interview that he uses some Eurorack.

Koelschysizer

As Red Electric Rainbow already suggested:

Please listen to all original Studio 1 records by Mike Ink!
German minimal techno was born in Cologne.

pas

ev'rything red electric rainbow said, 'specially dj sprinkles, 'specially all of it really, but that dj sprinkles record is hot

solitaryzen

Liddlepud wrote:
Probably not as dark as you're looking for but the new John Tejada album, Parabalas, is excellent and I read an interview that he uses some Eurorack.

Thanks for that - very nice! Been a while since I heard anything from John Tejada.

suboptimal

A fond memory of mine is listening to the "Minimal Funk" compilation on CD in 1999 while falling asleep on my floor. It's always been one of my sentimental favorites. I get the impression this set has become rarer than hens' teeth, though.

It's amazing how hard it is to produce a great minimal techno track. Consumed really stands the test of time as a unique masterpiece.

I keep trying to get into the early stuff and can't handle how texturally repetitive it is. Made for DJs to do more with, not commuters trying to enjoy the tracks by themselves. Probably why I don't listen to most Plastikman records anymore.

Empytset is impressing me, too. I'm not sure I can stand listening to them on my ipod due to the bass causing me acute pain (via a pair of UltimateEar in-ears that tend to over-do bass) but I do like the idea a lot. Love the depth of their sound. They've given serious attention to dynamics.

theabsent

umek
Marko Laine
Jukka Nieminen

Tall Midget

Matthew Dear and Daniel Bell are pretty good.

robotfunk

Funny to see Emptyset mentioned a lot, I used to be on the same label as them smile

Recently I've been loving the entire catalog of Stroboscopic Artifacts, esp. Lucy's stuff.

Babaluma

LAPSE!!! And Tony D is on here wink

Red Electric Rainbow

Kölschysizer wrote:
As Red Electric Rainbow already suggested:

Please listen to all original Studio 1 records by Mike Ink!
German minimal techno was born in Cologne.

That shit is hot.

pas wrote:
ev'rything red electric rainbow said, 'specially dj sprinkles, 'specially all of it really, but that dj sprinkles record is hot

Truly one of my favorites of all time. His mixes are next level.

Red Electric Rainbow

And don't dismiss anything by Chez Damier. His work in techno helped shaped the minimal scene in my opinion. His house music seals the deal for me.

pannikel

thanks Mr. Green to evreryone who mentioned emptyset, not paying attention to whats happening in uk/bristol garage and totally missed them,more than a nod to early Pansonic but totally the better for that

Should add Piiri and Ø on Traum and Sahko while we thinking of Ilpo and Mika's genius

sb

For those into Ø check out Rancho Relaxo Allstars 'hygiene mental' on disco b. Sort of a super jam group featuring Mika, Taylor Deupree and others. It's an oldie but a goodie if your into that surgical atmosphere....

lilakmonoke

basically you want a time machine to berlin anywhere 2000 - 2005 ... nothing but minmal.

i just saw stepan bodzin at the berghain club in berlin. this was the most spaced out epic live set ever. this dude uses the minimal groove but then takes it to another level. check it out:

http://soundcloud.com/stephanbodzin

[s]http://soundcloud.com/stephanbodzin/bremen-ost-herzblut-recordings/  [/s]

pas

a couple of years ago my friend emmy introduced me to ancient methods, never really left rotation...pretty skeletal w/ a little meat here 'n there, sort of like black metal techno aesthetically, their record designs remind me of the northern heritage design flow. anyway, let it bump

spitehouse

Orphx is probably worth a mention also. Granted, I liked them a bit more back when they were doing rhythmic noise and experimental stuff...

pas

one of my favorite artists in the last few years is Torsten Pröfrock aka Dynamo, Erosion, Log, Resilent, T++, Traktor, Various Artists, etc...he's an amazing producer of seemingly simple yet complex & challenging electronic music usually on the dance side of the spectrum. perhaps not entirely 'minimal,' though enough so to be included on this thread. personally i am in love w/ his works as T++ & it saddens me that "Wireless" was his last proper outing under the T++ moniker, but damn, what a way to go out. he prevails i'm sure & i can't wait to hear his next phase...check it:

jbuonacc

pas wrote:
one of my favorite artists in the last few years is Torsten Pröfrock aka Dynamo, Erosion, Log, Resilent, T++, Traktor, Various Artists, etc...

man, that first track is excellent! i love the stuff he did on Chain Reaction, wasn't aware of these newer releases.

as for stuff that sounds like Plastikman...

i just stumbled across an album called 'The Depths' by the artist JPLS (on Hawtin's Minus label). definitely captures the Plastikman vibe, possibly more so than anyone else i've heard. check it out if you can.

digital_steve

JPLS was an up and comer on mnml.nl when I was into that and then really broke out with some great stuff on minus... Real old meets new stuff.
One artist I truly respect for various reasons

BugBrand

Oh, that's interesting about T++ --> I got Cropped via MP3 download and didn't realise his larger working life. Will go hunt out some more (and get some recordings in REAL formats - ie. screw MP3s)

aksen

Janarto wrote:
Cristian Varela - Colmedream
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxdTG767IIo

oh no no no, cristian what have you become?

on the topic at hand - gui boratto's new album on kompakt sounds very tasty.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 1 of 8