are there any female modular users out there ?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

killian
Learning to Wiggle

are there any female modular users out there ?

Post by killian » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:01 pm

if so, would you like to get married ?

please send me picture (of system)

ok slightly juvenile first post but it has an element of truth to it ......

i just got started pretty recently and although i have a very basic system, i am having the most fun i have had in ages.

the major downside for me is that the bite sized portions are as addictive as crack which i wouldn't really mind if i had more money.

i don't really have anything useful to say except that i wonder where you get serge stuff from.

does it really exist ? i cannot find it on google and if its not there i am not sure that it exists at all.

now that its summer, i have decided to sell my shoes as i really want some of the livewire modulation stuff, they are uk size 12.

btw my setup so far is 2 tiptop vco, analogue systems case, ladder filter, adsr and vca.

soon i shall have the tiptop fx module, frequensteiner, malgorithm and analogue systems clock divider, gate delay and comb filter.

actually i do have a question -

do i need vcas ? can i use a mult or an audio mixer ? for some reason i hate to buy them as they seem to do 'nothing'

btw i was slightly insane already ...

Karina
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Karina » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:03 pm

:bang:

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:05 pm

There aren't many here on this forum. Guess why.

Welcome, though.

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:27 pm

the thread below should help with some useful links for serge. there are also some great soundclips and videos in the serge/buchla/wiard/ems section of this very forum:
viewtopic.php?t=4142

and this one should give you an idea why lots of vcas is good:
viewtopic.php?t=2859

futuresoundsystems
<3 CMOS

Post by futuresoundsystems » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:35 pm

Well there's Wendy...... well...... yeah.......

VCAs are amazingly useful.... mostly when you've got a bigger system and you're after doing more sequenced-based work.
Last edited by futuresoundsystems on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unique designs and ideas in sound since 2005:
http://www.futuresoundsystems.co.uk

A Dingleberry Monstrosity
eat the kids first

Post by A Dingleberry Monstrosity » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:40 pm

futuresoundsystems beat me to it.

cerebrosis
digital sympathizer

Post by cerebrosis » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:51 pm

is Cynthia on here?

:mrgreen:

flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:57 pm

This parallels my earlier parenthetical rant nicely. Welcome killian!
~flight
flight(at)flightofharmony(dot)com
http://www.flightofharmony.com

killian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by killian » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:00 pm

thanks fss and sandyb

fss, when you say sequenced based work, could you explain a little ?

i am interested in using sequencers and forgot to post that i have an oberkorn.

when i get my head around it, i want to create compositions in an almost generative way (this probably isn't the correct word but anyway) using modulations that are complex enough to seem almost random/spontaneous.

btw are you the decade counter fellow or am i getting mixed up ?

i am feeling a bit sheepish about my first post and i reckon i deserve what i get from the female modular users out there ....

tragedybysyntax
Banned until Restitution Made

Post by tragedybysyntax » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:03 pm

Killian welcome!!! Awesome to have some female influence around here to keep these boys in check! :)

chinard
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chinard » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:03 pm

futuresoundsystems wrote:Well there's Wendy...... well...... yeah.......
:lolhammer: :omg:

Johnisfaster
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: are there any female modular users out there ?

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:04 pm

killian wrote: do i need vcas ? can i use a mult or an audio mixer ? for some reason i hate to buy them as they seem to do 'nothing'.
I sorta had this feeling when I first started purchasing modules, but you quickly realize you need a handful of those 'do nothing' modules in order to get anything done with your 'do something' modules.

my rig without any mults would be retarded. what if you want to run 2 vco's into one filter? you'll need a mixer pre filter. what if you want to run an lfo to 2 different locations? you'll need a mult.

killian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by killian » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:11 pm

god i already need space it seems. i have no mults or mixers and when my next adsr and vca arrive i'll be full.

i was worried when i got it that i would be staring at the cardboard to stop the dust getting into the case for ages that was only about six weeks ago.

it feels like ages.

i am sure (i hope) that as the system fills out a bit more, the urge to get more stuff may become diminished.

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:17 pm

killian wrote:i am sure (i hope) that as the system fills out a bit more, the urge to get more stuff may become diminished.

we pray for you. :help: :hihi:

killian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by killian » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:22 pm

i have been using analogue systems for the basics so far as they seem like good quality without being esoteric/pricey. they are also relatively local

for some reason i am prejudiced against doepfer which is probably rubbish and is surely picked up from someone else.

i would love to have a load of plan b stuff when they sort themselves out.

is there anyone else that is reasonably priced and local (ie in europe) that makes good solid useful stuff (adsr, vca etc) that is well made.

i have heard of mfb but have no idea of quality, cwejman are too expensive for me at the moment, i didn't have a wholly good experience buying from analogue solutions and the build quality on the oberkorn is average.

killian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by killian » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:27 pm

we pray for you.

well it seems like i have really opened pandora's box this time....

richard
bananaphile

Post by richard » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:54 pm

amazing how many people seem to think doepfer is behringer, its completely unfair - he shoulda made his modules red or something. Don't fall for the snob angle, doepfer ain't rubbish, they have some good and great modules and many useful utility ones of the type you are actually needing right now. They also have a very good and active user group which they confer with more than ANY manufacturer of ANYTHING I ever heard of. build quality is good, pisses on plan b anyway (shame beacause soundwise plan b are my favorites, because he copied buchla instead of moog)

doepfer, plan B, asol, asys, moog all coexisting very nicely in my rack thank you, all copy a LOT of moog, buchla, ARP, EMS etc

Being as you are about to start expanding into a second rack you sound like you can't afford, its probably doepfer where you should be looking next...

Richard

theabsent
?

Post by theabsent » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:08 pm

killian wrote:for some reason i am prejudiced against doepfer which is probably rubbish and is surely picked up from someone else.
wtf? I love my 51 Doepfer modules. tbh, i've sold a few not so good ones but they do have a lot of GREAT modules. And what a GREAT customer service they have!!
killian wrote:i would love to have a load of plan b stuff when they sort themselves out.
so would i...
killian wrote:is there anyone else that is reasonably priced and local (ie in europe) that makes good solid useful stuff (adsr, vca etc) that is well made.

i have heard of mfb but have no idea of quality, cwejman are too expensive for me at the moment, i didn't have a wholly good experience buying from analogue solutions and the build quality on the oberkorn is average.
I have MFB seq-01 and a couple of their older drum modules. I've never had any problems and I will in the future buy at least OSC-02. You can order them from Thomann.

Tom at ASol can be a bit arrogant. He does answer to all the e-mails, but his tone can be not-so-positive. I'm digging his drum modules and SY01 & SY02.
Last edited by theabsent on Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

killian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by killian » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:08 pm

Being as you are about to start expanding into a second rack you sound like you can't afford, its probably doepfer where you should be looking next...
i was also thinking perhaps blacet even though it is a bit more expensive ....

Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon

Post by Soy Sos » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:09 pm

As said before there are plenty of kick ass and very useful Doepfer modules that work wonderfully and are a great value. There's a thread somewhere around here of people's favorite Doepfer modules. A few of mine are:
137 VC Wave Multiplier
143-1 Complex EG/LFO
189-1 VC Bit Cruncher
145 LFO

Are far as female modular users, sadly there aren't too many that I know of.
I have a new friend that will be back from Australia soon, I'll try to get
her on this forum. She has a long history of electronic music works and
has had some great gear over the years.

killian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by killian » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:28 pm

thanks for helping me get over the doepfer prejudice. usually i am very fond of things german (such as berlin - i lived there for two years and my girlfriend - who is from there)

it helps when you see a video of dieter give a demo at the messe, he seems like a cool guy ....

killian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by killian » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:52 pm

Tom at ASol can be a bit arrogant. He does answer to all the e-mails, but his tone can be not-so-positive. I'm digging his drum modules and SY01 & SY02.
That sums it up as far as dealing with him goes. Glad to hear you like the drum modules as i couldn't find anywhere to demo them.

which do you have ?

the mfb sequencer looks cool, damn there really is much stuff i would like.

well its early days and i haven't checked my lotto ticket yet ...

perky
Wiggling with Experience

Post by perky » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:00 pm

The ASys adsr are the best out there imho.. so nice and snappy. Take a look at the new Doepfer dual VCA 143-2 or something, it sounds good, and use little space.

futuresoundsystems
<3 CMOS

Post by futuresoundsystems » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:21 am

killian wrote:fss, when you say sequenced based work, could you explain a little ?
Sure. For example, you might have a kind of logic based patch with a full kinda "song" thing going on (see here) if you're going for the generative kind of patches. With that, you'll want a lot of VCAs to firstly control each sound (for each drum, you'll need at least one VCA. if you're doing complex drum synthesis (i.e. shell, body, ring, etc.) you'll need several. three simple drums, bass + lead = 5 VCAs) and also to control the logic flow around the patch. This could be done using a VC Switch module, but VCAs are much more versatile. You may also want automatic control over modulation flow as well, a good example is the attack/fade-in of vibrato that can be patched up with an LFO thru a VCA. You may not realise it at first, and you probably won't need a great deal of them in your first start-out system, but as time goes by and the system expands you'll be after more and more of them.

Modular lust does NOT diminish. Seriously, you're gonna need some cash in the next few years. :confused: :doh: :lol:

Doepfer are great. Also check MFB for very affordable modules.

And yes, I am the Decade Counter fellow :lol:
Unique designs and ideas in sound since 2005:
http://www.futuresoundsystems.co.uk

killian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by killian » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:09 am

thanks fss. i like the video. it makes me regret ordering a midi to cv convertor. for some reason i have it in mind to use cv only but i haven't figured out how to yet (but i will with time no doubt)
also to control the logic flow around the patch. This could be done using a VC Switch module, but VCAs are much more versatile. You may also want automatic control over modulation flow as well
now i get it. using them instead of a seq switch makes sense.

Modular lust does NOT diminish. Seriously, you're gonna need some cash in the next few years.
few years ? i am thinking the next few months :)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”