MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What new booty did you buy?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241  Next [all]
Author What new booty did you buy?
Randy
mousegarden wrote:
My Gaaaad! I guess all those dodgy caps will need replacing eek!

Not necessarily. I thought they would too but we're taking a different approach. Rather than just replacing stuff as many restorers have done, we're testing first and only replacing what's actually not working. So far it's mostly opamps. This is much more difficult 'though, because in order to find a non-working component, you first need to isolate it.

Randy
Rex Coil 7
Randy wrote:
Rex, are you not aware of the "gumball theory?" Every time you do something good, you get a gumball dropped into a bowl. But, as soon as you do something bad, you lose them all and start over. It is a very irritating human trait.
Oh for god's sake, what on Earth have I done this time? I take it you're implying my gumball bowl is empty?

And ~yes~ I am familiar with the concept. In the Military it's expressed thusly ... "it takes ten atta-boys to make up for one awe-shit."

I live my life following a couple of simple concepts. Treat others as you wish to be treated. And serving others is the entire point of living.

seriously, i just don't get it
ranix
Nah, the point of living is the observation and transmission of truth. And pointing out that trading a $500 Deepmind 12 for a ~ $1000 to $2000 JD-800 is crazy is truth brother
Randy
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Randy wrote:
Rex, are you not aware of the "gumball theory?" Every time you do something good, you get a gumball dropped into a bowl. But, as soon as you do something bad, you lose them all and start over. It is a very irritating human trait.
Oh for god's sake, what on Earth have I done this time? I take it you're implying my gumball bowl is empty?

And ~yes~ I am familiar with the concept. In the Military it's expressed thusly ... "it takes ten atta-boys to make up for one awe-shit."

I live my life following a couple of simple concepts. Treat others as you wish to be treated. And serving others is the entire point of living.

seriously, i just don't get it

You didn't do anything, at least that I'm aware of. I was referring to your earlier post. It was a hypothetical example. I for one still want you around.

Randy
Fabong
Scored a TX81z last night on ebay for less than the price of a volca fm, feeling pretty smug about it.
mousegarden
Randy wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

Not necessarily. I thought they would too but we're taking a different approach. Rather than just replacing stuff as many restorers have done, we're testing first and only replacing what's actually not working. So far it's mostly opamps. This is much more difficult 'though, because in order to find a non-working component, you first need to isolate it.

Randy

Makes more sense, some restorations are teetering on the verge of complete rebuilds, so what's original about it becomes an issue!
dubonaire
mousegarden wrote:
Randy wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

Randy

Makes more sense, some restorations are teetering on the verge of complete rebuilds, so what's original about it becomes an issue!

Not really, because the components are not the design.
Panason
ranix wrote:
Nah, the point of living is the observation and transmission of truth.

I wasn't expecting to read that here... word!
Randy
dubonaire wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
Randy wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

Randy

Not really, because the components are not the design.

I think that's a bit of a stretch. Of course the components are part of the design. But, this is one of those discussions that have been going on for a long time and really don't seem to amount to anything. One thing I'm hoping to do is more analysis of the differences in "sound" of old vs. new components. Maybe use spectral analysis (FFTs perhaps) instead of ears.
mousegarden
The component choice is part of the design, Dubonaire.
dubonaire
I meant the state of the components - all things being equal. But anyway, my post wasn't really a point worth making.
mousegarden
dubonaire wrote:
I meant the state of the components - all things being equal. But anyway, my post wasn't really a point worth making.

OK, so if he state of the original components is bad, then iif it's possible to replace them with similar ones, tolerance wise as well, then that's preferable surely? But as we all know, that's not always possible.
A point not worth making? What's up Dub? You're not your normal self mate.

Dancing Star
tron23
Fabong wrote:
Scored a TX81z last night on ebay for less than the price of a volca fm, feeling pretty smug about it.

Now you might also get the Volca FM. d'oh! forgot we are not gearslutz.. but I enjoy both and just got the Volca FM, mainly for some cc driving. Now need to get a second Volca to make it 6 note polyphonic! Guinness ftw!
hw408
i got my 303 serviced and working nice again after 18 years of rotting on the sidelines with problems w00t

Edit -> so it feels like new booty
Randy
dubonaire wrote:

True. Was going to talk about old opamps and all that but I think I've taken the thread off-topic so, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Randy
dubonaire
mousegarden wrote:
dubonaire wrote:

OK, so if he state of the original components is bad, then iif it's possible to replace them with similar ones, tolerance wise as well, then that's preferable surely? But as we all know, that's not always possible.
A point not worth making? What's up Dub? You're not your normal self mate.

Dancing Star

Yes my point was you can replace components and be true to the original design. Circuit design is by and large a bunch of fairly basic mathematical rules for current, voltage, resistance, inductance and capacitance. Often even large variations in component values don't change the outcome much. Replacing components is not changing the design, notwithstanding that rare NOS Saratov 6N30P-DR tube that will give you the sheeniest of sparkly high ends.

And what I was trying to say is I don't feel so strongly about this to get into a debate.
GavRL
Just ordered a Polyend Seq. I know it’s not the most fully featured sequencer at that price point, but having watched a billion YouTube demos, it does look to be top of the tree in terms of workflow, at least for how I’d want a sequencer to behave. Really excited to get going on it - think it’ll be a valuable writing tool, and get me out of the box.
Notron fn

I ordered this Euro 220v IEC lead, only to find out that the seller had forgot to pack it.

Looks like the only thing that will be coming is the box underneath it.

A super simple CEM vco bass synth.
hinterlands303
I just ordered a Yamaha DX11. After a bunch of back and forth about whether I should get that, a TX81z, or a Reface DX decided to go for the DX11. I've been craving a FM Poly and I don't have any full sized keyboards at the moment so I'm excited. Plus you can do keyboard splits and even use alternate tunings on different parts of the keyboard. Down the rabbit hole...

Also, I got this really cool electro-mechanical chord organ made in the 50's at a flea market. The fan is super loud (it uses a fan to blow the reeds) but it sounds great. It's kind of like an electric harmonium.

subbasshead

scored a Pearl FM-8 Fightman - apparently pre SY-1
check out the sounds (not my vid)

computer controlled
Got these three over the past month...

Alesis Ion by Larry Kleinke, on Flickr

Arturia MiniBrute 2S by Larry Kleinke, on Flickr

Behringer Neutron by Larry Kleinke, on Flickr

Behringer Neutron by Larry Kleinke, on Flickr
h4ndcrafted
PO-35 and a case.

MindMachine
huffnPuff wrote:
No pictures as it's not here yet, but I have a Speck X.Sum on the way! Yey!

Excellent score. I was looking at one of those but found the bigger older SSM and Expander w/ a 28 Buss. Not sure I need the 28 Buss at this point. Speck are quality units. Amazing what features are packed into the X.Sum.

Latest add for me- Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Waters:

edit - which does not work. Back it goes. I could tell it was repacked when I got it. Try again.
Panason
Not gear but I got a new drone flute that puts a huge smile on my face

https://soundcloud.com/cameron-visser-566654071/low-b-and-f-melody-flu te

Soul medicine!
MindMachine
^ Sounds amazing. Really interesting instrument.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241  Next [all]
Page 237 of 241