MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What new booty did you buy?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 268, 269, 270, 271, 272  Next [all]
Author What new booty did you buy?
red
pmboos wrote:
@red I'd love to hear of your experiences with it

a short review:

Erica Synths Pico System III

cool
slumberjack
Daisy wrote:

Looking at October next year at the earliest, but she'll be a beauty we're not worthy

And the funny thing is I've taken the most use and fun out of my tiny MC-101 over the last few weeks hihi

WTF - a reincarnation of that legend - beautyful
pmboos
red wrote:
pmboos wrote:
@red I'd love to hear of your experiences with it

a short review:

Erica Synths Pico System III

cool

LOL! I hope something longer comes later, but glad you like it!
Duplan
THIS !

pmboos
Since I have been looking at a trip to England recently, I wonder if the name Colossus has any synonym (tip of the hat) to the Colossus computer?
Daisy

Beringter Pro One, been waiting ages for this and can't wait for it to arrive It's peanut butter jelly time!

Going to bust out my inner Vince Clarke Mr. Green
Jim the Oldbie
Holy hell my Chroma Polaris is working again !!

This was a great 6-voice analog synth, with a debilitating flaw: membrane switch panels that would develop cracks in the ribbon connector "tails," rendering the front panel partially or completely unusable.

Suddenly, after ~35 years(!) since any of these were built, Paul D. DeRocco, the original hardware designer, has ordered a production run of brand new replacement switch panels. Mine went from busted (for about 10 years!) to normal operation in about an hour.

THANK YOU PAUL!! I still can't believe this thing is up & running!
red
pmboos wrote:
... I wonder if the name Colossus has any synonym (tip of the hat) to the Colossus computer?

I assume that the built-in oscilloscope is from that time...

And, arrived today:

cool
Feinstrom
Jim the Oldbie wrote:

Congratulations!
The Chroma Polaris is one of my favourite synths of all times.
Mine has the new panels and internal cables too, which is worth many a warm thought!

Cheers,
Bert
computer controlled
I just got a bricked Microwave II working again after having it sit around for 11 years. Ordered new OS chips with OS 2.33 already flashed on them. Replaced the old ones and bam, works. So i guess i just me a Waldorf Microwave II =o]
Jim the Oldbie
Way to go! It's nice having these old friends awake and talking again after all these years. :o)
Toowoombaus
Jim the Oldbie wrote:

This was a great 6-voice analog synth, with a debilitating flaw: membrane switch panels that would develop cracks in the ribbon connector "tails," rendering the front panel partially or completely unusable.

Suddenly, after ~35 years(!) since any of these were built, Paul D. DeRocco, the original hardware designer, has ordered a production run of brand new replacement switch panels. Mine went from busted (for about 10 years!) to normal operation in about an hour.

THANK YOU PAUL!! I still can't believe this thing is up & running!

Congratulations! I would be interested in getting one of these myself. I just pulled mine out of the garage I got it for $50 from the guy that owned the building I had my studio in.
It still works has a great bottom end, which was very noticeable after only using my virus and other digital synthesizers. Some of the buttons on the front panel don’t work though. I’m new here so I’m trying to figure out how to upload a photo.
https://imgur.com/dF2AFK8
Jim the Oldbie
Hi,

If some of the front panel buttons aren't working on your Polaris, chances are the membrane panels are failing as described above. Paul is selling the replacement sets (2 panels) on Ebay.
gslug
A rather battered Eventide H3000. Or is it?

The overlay is scrap, but I managed to get 90% of the glue off with nothing more than hot, soapy water.
Jim the Oldbie
Noice!

Is it otherwise harmonizing?
gslug
Jim the Oldbie wrote:
Noice!

Is it otherwise harmonizing?

It was....

Now it is in bits awaiting a PSU recap and a damn good internal clean. I'll probably get some upgrade ROMs too - despite the front panel, it has the original vanilla H3000 ones at present.
Jim the Oldbie
I'm confused by (among other things) the lower pic above. It appears the overlay would cover the markings of a later model with those of an earlier one?

Meanwhile, talking about Eventides has got me listening to old Todd Rundgren records. The Ever-Popular Tortured Artist Effect is dripping with so much Harmonizer, one wonders if the effect was an inspiration for the title!
gslug
Jim the Oldbie wrote:
I'm confused by (among other things) the lower pic above. It appears the overlay would cover the markings of a later model with those of an earlier one?

You aren't the only one who is confused! It did indeed have an early overlay over a later front panel. The overlay was loose around the rack ears, so I peeled it back, expecting to see bare metal. Other than this weirdness, it appears to be a stock H3000: Vanilla ROMs and yellow buttons. Most ICs are date code 1988.

Jim the Oldbie
Look at that!

Hey, zoom in on that a little & crop it, and there's your avatar! Mr. Green
gslug
Ha! Might as well. Guinness ftw!
Maldoror
Daisy wrote:

Looking at October next year at the earliest, but she'll be a beauty we're not worthy

Hi Davy - any chance you can get back to me about the Analogue Solutions and other modules... not heard from you since August.
solipsvs
bastle dark matter
Jason Brock
gslug wrote:
You aren't the only one who is confused! It did indeed have an early overlay over a later front panel. The overlay was loose around the rack ears, so I peeled it back, expecting to see bare metal. Other than this weirdness, it appears to be a stock H3000: Vanilla ROMs and yellow buttons. Most ICs are date code 1988.

The early models did have a plastic overlay on the front panel. 90s models (D/SX, D/SE) started using a metal front panel. My only guess is that the previous owner just preferred the look of the old panel so they stuck it on there. Still a bit weird.

Whatever ICs are in there, the easiest way to find out which ROMs are installed is to look at this patch list. If it has all the D/SE patches, then it has D/SE ROMs installed.
H3000 Patch List by model
(not my document, someone over at Gearslutz created it)
Duplan
THIS and THIS

hyper
h4ndcrafted
Duplan wrote:
THIS and THIS

hyper

Aww lovely, I want a 68 or 78 so bad, but the prices are silly!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 268, 269, 270, 271, 272  Next [all]
Page 269 of 272