MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Video-synthesis on computer: Jitter woes
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Video-synthesis on computer: Jitter woes
Veqtor
So I don't know how familiar you guys are with max and jitter but:

The only thing left on my list of things that I thought would be cool to try with jitter, feeding jit.gl.mesh interpolated cellular automata, made my computer crash. very frustrating
(I've gone through a huge list, the others were terribly slow or boring due to jitters '95 style rendering)

Seriously realizing why no visualists are using jitter anymore... I really hope that the Max6 update of jitter brings it up to par with processing, OF, cinder, well the list could be made long, since sure: you can make great looking stuff in jitter, but as soon as you get something decent out of it, even when you're using jit.gl.slab (and a good gfx card ofc), then either your computer starts to get unstable leading up to a crash or let's say you get so far as to start recording what you've done, good luck, jit.vcr puts all of your audio and video WAY out of sync and running fraps and such really slows down your computer, so you have to capture on another computer with an expensive DVI-capture card.

It would be great to have some way of rendering abstract geometry in video-synth-land. Then I could leave my computer to do capture and post-production work.
ehdyn
Have you checked out patches from graham wakefield, masato tsutsi, or the guy that wrote the superformula patch?
Veqtor
Checking out graham wakefield and masato tsutsi now, some impressive stuff! thumbs up
ehdyn
Glad you found it useful. I single those two out because their patches run well on even the lowliest systems.
In max theres no wrong way to do things, but jitters not quite so forgiving.

If you're experimenting with CA's definitely check out the "Vichniac Vote", "Brians Brain", and averaging of chaotic states through neighborly influence.
Wolframs New Kind of Science can be found for like 5bucks cause nobody understands it-but its actually pretty good.

Peter Elsea has some great Jitter tutorials on his site that might interest you-Video feedback, parametric lissajous, newtowns madness, etc.. Shit like that
MrDys
Perfect timing. I was just saying that I need to hunker down and really learn a good deal of jitter. I started reading last night, though, and the thought of having to translate pretty simple things into shaders just to get them to run smoothly sounds like it's still the headache I remember.

Max 6 looks like it could be a massive improvement, but I need to see some demos or something first.

OpenFrameworks is enticing, but man, I do not want to dive back into C++ again.
Veqtor
Shaders are a pita, I was trying to perform a discrete cosine transform using GLSL as a part of emulating jpeg for glitching (i read a normal gfx card can encode at 160 fps) but I couldn't get it to work. waah

Anyway I got brian's brain to work in jitter! will post abstraction when I get back home from uni. w00t
Tall Midget
I've been playing around with Derivative Touch Designer, while i've never messed with Jitter it's a hell of a lot easier than Max/MSP. I think it is a bit pricier, especially with the Max student discount.
lizlarsen
I don't mean to divert the discussion, but I am curious: what sorts of features/workflow would you like to see in a digital module designed for rendering abstract geometries? We still have in mind to do a reprogrammable frame buffer module (our first frame buffer module, the decoder/synchronizer, has been in development for a long time and is getting closer to completion -- so we're getting near that point.) But feature discussion on a more arbitrary one has yet to really be discussed. What kind of stuff do you want to do?
Veqtor
And here you go:
www.oxo-unlimited.com/Downloads/jit.brain.zip

CA's are really amazing, think I'm going to code a proper c-external for more advanced stuff!
M6live
Redacted.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1