MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Here I go again...3U more...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Here I go again...3U more...
jonkull
So I said I wasn't going to expand beyond 6U. Never say never I suppose.

Right now my rack looks like this (area in red is what I'm thinking about buying...I have everything else except the M32 which is on order):



I'm 50/50 on the A160, ASR and Dual Bissell and wondering if there's anything else that I may be lacking that I should use in place of them. Also do you people find the A138c Polarizing Mixer useful? I was originally going to pick up 2 M15s but think that maybe I should stick to utility modules this time around and get more VCOs in my next ( eek! ) rack.
DougD
If you swapped the Buffered Mult with the Dual VC Crossfader, you would have 4hp to play with in the middle row! Then you could move the ASR up one row and get the 161 to pair with the 160.

Extensive use of Modular Planner has taught me to think like this instinctively.
dougcl
QMMG instead of two A-132-3's? Plan B M14 instead of the A-138c? Of course this means you're out of room. The ASR and the A-160 are both great. Get all the A-16X modules! MORE
jonkull
DougD wrote:
If you swapped the Buffered Mult with the Dual VC Crossfader, you would have 4hp to play with in the middle row! Then you could move the ASR up one row and get the 161 to pair with the 160.

Extensive use of Modular Planner has taught me to think like this instinctively.


I'll have to play around with that but the problem I have is that my 6U rack is an odd size and the 2 empty HP you see are empty because they don't exist. For some reason the rails that came with my Doepfer DIY kit weren't 84HP across. More like 82.5 or so...
jonkull
dougcl wrote:
QMMG instead of two A-132-3's? Plan B M14 instead of the A-138c? Of course this means you're out of room. The ASR and the A-160 are both great. Get all the A-16X modules! MORE


Actually the QMMG/M14 was my first thought but I was trying to get maximum modules into minimum space. I want more VCAs...how well will the QMMG work in that capacity for CV and audio?
dougcl
Crap, so we cut the Schroff rails down and now... ugh. What a mess. In any case, you can make your own background image in RackPlanner to fit your rack perfectly. I can help you with that via PM if you want.
dougcl
jonkull wrote:

Actually the QMMG/M14 was my first thought but I was trying to get maximum modules into minimum space. I want more VCAs...how well will the QMMG work in that capacity for CV and audio?


Density. Look at that M14. It doesn't get much denser. Same with the QMMG.

You know, I can't recall if I've run CV through the QMMG. I'll try it tonight.
jonkull
dougcl wrote:
Crap, so we cut the Schroff rails down and now... ugh. What a mess. In any case, you can make your own background image in RackPlanner to fit your rack perfectly. I can help you with that via PM if you want.


Well the 6U fit everything I wanted it to at the time. I had to cut those rails to match the size of the Doepfer DIY ones because my case was built to their dimensions rather than the Schroff size. I still don't know why those Doepfer rails were as short as they were. Anyway...

I have a separate 3U Schroff rack I picked up last week that really is 84HP. That's what I'm filling now. I also have a 6U Schroff on the way. Big things are on the horizon for my modular...and my wallet.
jonkull
dougcl wrote:
Density. Look at that M14. It doesn't get much denser.


Yeah, you're right. Now I just have to wait for some M14s to be manufactured...
dougcl
jonkull wrote:

I have a separate 3U Schroff rack I picked up last week. That's what I'm filling now. I also have a 6U Schroff on the way. Big things are on the horizon for my modular...and my wallet.


We're all screwed. smile
jonkull
Yeah, my wife didn't look too happy when I was putting the 3U rack together.
felix
You can't go wrong with the 132-3s, IMO. Not only are they great VCAs, they make great attenuators, *AND* their CV inputs are attenuated.

I think you're making the wise choice over more VCOs. You've got two already (4 if you want to count the Dalek) and the Filters with both self-oscillate. The M10s run at audio rate (and sound pretty cool doing it too).

I haven't fallen in love with my ASR. Not yet anyway - maybe I'm not experimenting with it enough.

I don't use the Dual Bissell all the time, but when I need it there's not much else to turn to. I don't have a lot of filters so there's no alternative for smoothing out some CV. Even using it as an "asymetrical filter" is fun. I like using it to alter a square wave from the Dalek (or some other source) and FM a VCO with that. Tweaking the rise/fall amounts leads to some interesting timbre changes. A VC slew might be worth considering. The downside is you probably won't get independent control over rise/fall.
bar|none
Can you drop the VCAs and get a QMMG? I love that module and soo flexible + 4 VCAs and 4 filters and a mixer.

[edit] read the thread first. Yeah I have M14 and QMMG. Great combo cause I didn't know shit and took the same advise (was is dougcl too?) and it worked out awesome. Thanks for that!

[edit] maybe just drop one 132-3s, somehow shoehorn that QMMG in there.
jonkull
Well I'm considering the QMMG but still think the 132-3s would be more useful. I need to look into the QMMG more.
dkcg
M14 should have been nicknamed the swiss army knife. Comes in super handy for everything from simple polar attenuation to a VC controlled mixer.

The Bissel is cool, especially with the Vulcan and squares, but I really wish it had CV controls.

If you want dense VCAs, look at the Cwejmans. I have a the insert mixer (forget the model right now), and it's really sweet, but the Doepfer is definately the best bang for the buck as far as Euro VCAs.
bar|none
I don't want to get offtopic here, but I'm probably gonna ask someone here for a lesson on the M14 (Not necessarily now). I use it as a CV mixer, and I barely grock how to use the dual polar nature although it has helped with centering LFOs. Also no idea on the Cross Fade. It's just a matter of needing a little guidance to unlock the full potential.
dougcl
Just checked the QMMG as a VCA for CV and appears to work fine.

Last night I had the M14 all patched up to supply pitch from random gates, had the crossfade input bouncing left and right using one of the A-160 sub clock outs, and found that manual adjustment of the main offset on the right M14 bank had a nice effect. Realized I could automate it by sending the SUM out on the right bank to a VCA for automated attenuation, and fed it back into the M14 on the inject B jack. Worked like a charm. First time I used that input. Very cool module.

The Cwejman VCA-4MX is awesome. Very dense module as well, but I think in a small rig the QMMG would be a better choice for the versatility, even though it has a larger footprint.
dougcl
bar|none wrote:
I don't want to get offtopic here, but I'm probably gonna ask someone here for a lesson on the M14 (Not necessarily now). I use it as a CV mixer, and I barely grock how to use the dual polar nature although it has helped with centering LFOs. Also no idea on the Cross Fade. It's just a matter of needing a little guidance to unlock the full potential.


You can combine the two mixer SUM outputs using the crossfade knob and CV input. The output is available on the SUM XFADE output. All the way left, and the XFADE output is the same as the left SUM. All the way right and the XFADE output is the same as the right SUM. Anywhere between these two extremes, and the XFADE output is somewhere between the left and right SUM outputs. Use an LFO square wave to bounce the XFADE output between the two sides.

Take an A-161 and feed 6 of its outputs to the M14 mixer inputs. Use one of the A-160 outputs to bounce the XFADE output left and right. Run the XFADE output to an A-156 quantizer and then on to a VCO pitch CV. Very musical and complex result.
kidtesla
I'm not felix's groupy (I just play one on muffwiggler Mr. Green ). Seriously,I tend to agree with his suggestions quite a bit.
felix wrote:
You can't go wrong with the 132-3s, IMO. Not only are they great VCAs, they make great attenuators, *AND* their CV inputs are attenuated..........................
.........I don't use the Dual Bissell all the time, but when I need it there's not much else to turn to. I don't have a lot of filters so there's no alternative for smoothing out some CV. Even using it as an "asymetrical filter" is fun. I like using it to alter a square wave from the Dalek (or some other source) and FM a VCO with that. Tweaking the rise/fall amounts leads to some interesting timbre changes. A VC slew might be worth considering. The downside is you probably won't get independent control over rise/fall.

The doepfer a-132-3's are amazing! clean,clear and transparent. I use the livewire dualBissel generator(s) in almost every patch, I have several of them and I'm thinking of getting another(great application of some of its uses by felix,btw). I would suggest moving it to the edge position of the rack row for euro finger friendliness.
jonkull
Well Doug....I think you have me sold on the M14/QMMG combo. I think I'll save the Bissell, ASR and A160 for my next rack along with a multitude of other modules.
jonkull
kidtesla wrote:
The doepfer a-132-3's are amazing! clean,clear and transparent. I use the livewire dualBissel generator(s) in almost every patch, I have several of them and I'm thinking of getting another(great application of some of its uses by felix,btw). I would suggest moving it to the edge position of the rack row for euro finger friendliness.


I'm wondering if I can lose the M13 once I get the QMMG and use that space for an A132-3...

Do you have any patch examples that use the Dual Bissell? I'm curious to know how you're using it.
dkcg
bar|none wrote:
I don't want to get offtopic here, but I'm probably gonna ask someone here for a lesson on the M14 (Not necessarily now). I use it as a CV mixer, and I barely grock how to use the dual polar nature although it has helped with centering LFOs. Also no idea on the Cross Fade. It's just a matter of needing a little guidance to unlock the full potential.


Try having a long envelope, now mix in the negative of another envelope that's repeating. You get a long envelope with dips, all of which can be synced with other stuff going on in your patch. One basic example of why polarity can be a good friend. smile
dougcl
jonkull wrote:

I'm wondering if I can lose the M13 once I get the QMMG and use that space for an A132-3...


I think so, although in my case I found the M13 was bassier. Not enough of a difference though when it came time to find a spot for other things.
bar|none
@dkcg.

Ok, I think I get it. Thank you. I will probably hook up a volt meter to confirm my suspicions but what you say totally makes sense now. That is the secret weapon, being able to invert the voltage curve against another, not mearly mix with attenuation.

Ok, Hijack over.
bar|none
>I think so, although in my case I found the M13 was bassier. Not enough of a difference though when it came time to find a spot for other things.

Agreed, the QMMG has a musical lowpass but not one that shakes the floorboards. if you are shooting for a thumping bass, then you'll probably choose a different filter for that, but use the QMMG for a more mixable sound.

The feedback resonance on the QMMG gets burly and the high-pass band pass are very nice. The "both"mode lets you use vca with filter on one channel for percussive stuff for example.

http://virb.com/barnone
Baba O'Riley track.
The QMMG provides all the VCAs and multiple filters controlled via vulcan modulator for the intro synth line. It's pretty tame for the QMMG, but that's what I like. It can do F@#$ up stuff and straight ahead with ease.

Check it out in the ultra-small patch thread
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4257&start=75

That's range for you.

But also having a 132-3 would be super useful. I have the MFB VCA cause I couldn't find a 132-3 and I actually am very happy with it.

Disclaimer: I know jack. everyone else here has given me great advise.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group