MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

William Basinski - Why Did No One Tell Me?!?!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author William Basinski - Why Did No One Tell Me?!?!
Reality Checkpoint
I have just finished listening to The Disintegration Loops Vol I - IV.

A work of staggering beauty. Why had I not heard of him before?

Can anyone recommend anything else by him that I should listen to first before I just go out and buy everything I can find by him?

Many thanks.
pannikel
Am just sticking on the river now to remind myself what it sounds like, I think I liked it but I havnt listened since somewhen at beginning of 00s.. I seem to remember A red score in tile is good too
shred
agreed, just found about him a couple weeks ago myself. the disintegration loops had me absolutely hypnotized
Cadence
I think you've likely started in a good place by listening to the Disintegration Loops series. If you want to hear a live interpretation check out "Sound And Silence: 'Remembering Sept. 11'" on NPR:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/deceptivecadence/2011/09/07/140265002/remembe ring-september-11-a-live-concert-webcast-from-the-temple-of-dendur
diophantine
Everything I've heard is absolutely stunning. Still a fair number of discs I still need to pick up.

Saw him live here a couple years ago, and it was a fantastic (& memorable) performance. Such a nice guy too!
diophantine
Reality Checkpoint wrote:
Can anyone recommend anything else by him that I should listen to first before I just go out and buy everything I can find by him?

Probably just grab everything hihi but '92982' is particularly nice, and somewhat different from the 'Disintegration Loops'.
Roycie Roller
He's becoming my favourite musician of all time! His music is so beautiful & moving.

I think of it as orchestral music where he has distilled the essence of a symphony & stripped all of the instruments away, leaving only raw emotion & movement to make the song.

I listen to his music & imagine all sorts of other sounds that aren't there.
The tracks off Disintegration Loops are sublime- i'll find myself humming the melodies of huge, imaginary orchestras along with the songs as they play.
pannikel
diophantine wrote:

Saw him live here a couple years ago, and it was a fantastic (& memorable) performance. Such a nice guy too!

am interested how it works live, does he use multiple tape machines and blend between them as the loops degrade?
sb
I've got 4 or 5 of his albums and El Camino Real is my fave.....gorgeous and majestic are the only words i can think of to describe what is essentially a 20 second loop played on repeat for 48 minutes.

Watermusic is also nice because its more synthetic rather than tape loop based. Shortwavemusic and Melancholia have more tracks and hence a bit more variation if 48 minutes of a single track looping is too much for you.
anti_climacus
I recommend Garden of Brokenness. I believe he uses a laptop and mixer for live performances, check out the Richard Chartier & William Basinski performance at LACE. I think the tape machines are primarily used while recording.
diophantine
pannikel wrote:
diophantine wrote:

am interested how it works live, does he use multiple tape machines and blend between them as the loops degrade?

Yes, he had two reel-to-reel machines, and a big metal can of tape loops which he'd fish into, find the appropriate loop, and swap out on the machines while performing a piece. Totally fluid. He also had a laptop and maybe a mixer or something. Simple, slowly moving films (clouds on one piece) on the backdrop that worked very well. He did two lengthy pieces, and in between talked a bit about his tape machines, tape loops, and techniques.
buzzlegs
anti_climacus wrote:
I recommend Garden of Brokenness.

I agree, i have everything he's done and it's all beautiful and moving but this particular one i keep coming back to. An amazing artist/musician.
limpmeat
Garden of Brokenness is one of the saddest and most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard.

I love Melancholia too.
Into the Void
Basinski's (excellent) 92982 is now out on vinyl via Temporary Residence:

https://store.temporaryresidence.com/products/trr268

Been listening to it all week. I've listened to him for 10 years or so but his music just becomes more and more important to me.

And I really, really wish they would re-issue The Disintegration Loops individually on vinyl. Vivian & Ondine too.

(new here, hi!)
GuyaGuy
Check out the The Sinking of the Titanic by Gavin Bryars--somewhat similar to Disintegration Loops.

Into the Void
GuyaGuy wrote:
Check out the The Sinking of the Titanic by Gavin Bryars--somewhat similar to Disintegration Loops.

Great song, reminded me more of the songs with strings on them on Discreet Music than Basinski though.
pannikel
GuyaGuy wrote:

it's a fair comparison, Bryars early tape work set the scene for music processes + fields of sound like Basinski's
quietguy
I was late in discovering William Basinski's work too. While the Disintegration Loops are exquisite I would also recommend 92982, Cascade and especially Vivian and Ondine. I've checked out a fair amount of his catalogue and I think you could pick any work and find a gem. A true artist.
meursault
quietguy wrote:
I was late in discovering William Basinski's work too. While the Disintegration Loops are exquisite I would also recommend 92982, Cascade and especially Vivian and Ondine. I've checked out a fair amount of his catalogue and I think you could pick any work and find a gem. A true artist.

Vivian & Ondine is indeed a marvelous record.
I am also fond of Garden of Brokenness.

This song of his, which is likely one of his shortest songs I am aware of, is lush.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj-K9uWbubo

I'd love to know too whenever he intends to release his sax songs
Kaneda87
I saw the Maestro Basinski live here in Italy the last October in a really small venue and was mesmerizing. Really, probably one of the best ambient/drone show that i ever saw.

Till the Stars Of The Lid show in Los Angeles and later this year in Amsterdam, but this is another story.
mwvm
Kaneda87 wrote:
I saw the Maestro Basinski live here in Italy the last October in a really small venue and was mesmerizing. Really, probably one of the best ambient/drone show that i ever saw.

Till the Stars Of The Lid show in Los Angeles and later this year in Amsterdam, but this is another story.

The SOTL recent tour was amazing.
goiks
new work for an old thread:

http://soundcloud.com/redbullmusicacademy/william-basinski-for-david-r obert-jones
Futuresound
Oh my. How have I not listened to this person before?

Tears in my eyes...
Kaneda87
The new album "A Shadow in Time" is out!
Coemgen
I love Watermusic II, always listen to it when studying.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2