MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

AM8027 VCO
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> AMSynths  
Author AM8027 VCO
brickman
Hey Rob , can u give us any more details on this module ?
el clon
I, too, would really love to hear some samples of this one. Anybody care to make a few short recordings?
emuarc
The AM8027 VCO is based on the original ARP 2600 design but has a number of improvements, but the waveforms remain exactly as in 1971. The main changes are about improving frequency stability with precision power supplies for the VCO core and the use of a potted core module with THAT precision matched transistor arrays. The waveform generating circuits remain untouched but a sync faciity has been added - and is in the final stage of prototyping.

The module has a range selector switch to make it much easier to set accurate note values, with 5 octaves selectable. There is a smaller pitch knob to vary pitch by +/- 5 semitones. There are slider controls for frequency modulation FM1, FM2, PWM and PW as per the original and there are 3 outputs (pulse, triangle and sawtooth), I might add sine if customers feedback they would like it. Note value comes from the standard Doepfer bus.

There is no low range option as the waveforms really are not accurate at low frequencies on these type of VCO's, and it introduces a source of frequency instability by having another capacitor outside the potted core.

There is a sync on/off switch and sync in and out. It is hard sync like the Odyssey. The slider caps are blue (FM), green (PW) and pink (PWM).

The module will be available in a few weeks time. I will post some samples over the weekend.
el clon
That sounds great! I love the fact that you're upgrading certain components rather that slavishly sticking to the originals. It'll make it much more usable in the real world.

If you don't mind me asking, why leave off the sine wave? Shouldn't it be included if it's a remake of the Arp oscillator? Would including it make it much more expensive or something?
emuarc
Sine waveform has been added, there is enough PCB space as well as space on the panel for a seventh socket. It's added about 5 GBP to the price but well worthwhile. Thanks for the idea!
el clon
cool! i've been wanting an Arp oscillator for years...
thanks for doing all of these great re-makes! thumbs up
gorka
Great to hear this is coming along. And thanks for adding the sine!
emuarc
AM8027 VCO Progress Update
Development of the AM8027 VCO has made good progress in the last few weeks. The module will now be a Dual VCO in one 28HP panel. This reduces the costs of the completed module, and many customers want to buy 2 VCO's. It also makes a number of features easier to implement, such as Sync, and ensures the 2x VCO's track together as they will be set up at the same time.

The new design should be into production early next year, with an initial batch of 5x Dual VCO's. Final pricing is still being refined but around 375 GBP.

If you prefer the sound of the Jupiter 8 VCO's, then the new AM8120 Dual JP8 VCO module will be ideal. This module will be launched in 2013.
el clon
sounds like a great idea! who could stop at just one Arp oscillator?
it may take me 6 months to scrape up the cash, but i'll definitely
be ordering one.

by the way, i thought i read that you used to design modules in Frac
format, too. is that correct? are all of your new modules Euro-only?
i'm just asking because i have more free space in my Frac case than
i do in my Euro case...
hihi
el clon
one other question (sorry if this was mentioned on
the website somewhere and i missed it).... will this
lovely, new dual Arp oscillator fit in a skiff?
jfloftin
Great news Rob! We look forward to it's debut. Will you be providing an image of the module and or sound demos?

emuarc wrote:
Development of the AM8027 VCO has made good progress in the last few weeks. The module will now be a Dual VCO in one 28HP panel. This reduces the costs of the completed module, and many customers want to buy 2 VCO's. It also makes a number of features easier to implement, such as Sync, and ensures the 2x VCO's track together as they will be set up at the same time.

The new design should be into production early next year, with an initial batch of 5x Dual VCO's. Final pricing is still being refined but around 375 GBP.
bloop
emuarc wrote:

Will definately buy one!
flabby
emuarc wrote:

If you prefer the sound of the Jupiter 8 VCO's, then the new AM8120 Dual JP8 VCO module will be ideal. This module will be launched in 2013.

This!!! This!! This is exactly what I¡m looking for. How early 2013? 1st January? hihi
fernanditajoule
That one is a very good sounding and interesting module
Barnetric
Definitely looking forward to this!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> AMSynths  
Page 1 of 1