MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioWiggler Radio   SearchSearch   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsBlog & News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 

Euclidean polyrhythm sequencers - DIY + New intellijel
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next [all]
Author Euclidean polyrhythm sequencers - DIY + New intellijel

Tombola

Hi, sorry for posting a DIY project here, but I thought people might enjoy it. It's a Euclidean Polyrhythm Sequencer

I'll let Ruin & Wesen explain Euclidean Rhythms: "Last week, I stumbled upon the amazing paper by Godfried Toussaint called The Euclidean Algorithm Generates Traditional Musical Rhythms, which shows how the euclidean algorithm used for example for timing systems in neutron accelerators can generate most of the traditional european and african rhythms. It is about distributing a set amount of pulses (which Godfried calls n) over a discrete amount of timing intervals (called k)."

If you're interested, there's a nice flash app that lets you play with Euclidean Rhythms here.

My module takes incoming clock and outputs 3 channels of pulses, with two encoders to set n & k for each channel. In the demo, the bottom channel is driving a sequencer, and the top two channels are driving kick/snare percussive sounds directly.

It's built around an arduino. Happy to answer any questions!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99F68mU612M

Bacchus

Awesome stuff! Will you be posting some more details about the build/software? I'd love to make one myself.

Synesthesia

Euclidean Rythm!

Super Nice ! do you have your project documented somewhere ?

Was looking into that a while back .. after a couple of awesome articles:

This one !

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/03/circles-and-euclidian-rhythms-of f-the-grid-a-few-music-makers-that-go-round-and-round/

this one pretty good wink

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/03/euclidean-rhythms-in-ableton-mid i-clips-for-polyrhythmic-good-times-microtonal-operator/

sgnhh

waaaaaaaant

zvukoprocessor

Tombola, this is brilliant!

regenbot

looks, great we're not worthy

jenamu6

Nice ....more blinkieblinks applause applause applause we're not worthy we're not worthy

qu.one

Adding CV over the pot controls would bring it to a whole new level. Are the patterns generated predetermined? Could they be changed via updating?

shred

applause very cool

clarke68

Really cool!

That groove sounds organic and funky as all get out. Would definitely be interested in learning more...is the brains behind the whole thing an app you wrote for the ardiuno? Not sure if "app" is even the right word, but anyway I mean "something you could post that we could use without needing to know how to program"?

intellijel

I had this concept for an algorithmic beat generator module that involved three channels of the same Euclidian algorithm for generating polyrhythms.
I have also tested this on arduino and it works great.

My implementation lets you set large numbers using the segemted display so that something like 100 slots with 7 beats spread over them would be possible.
The slip control allows you to slip the sequence forward or backwards relative to the other sequences.

I really like on your implementation the use of the led matrix display, makes it fun to watch!

[/img]

aethersprite

This is getting crazy... lol

I want both seriously, i just don't get it

Veqtor

intellijel wrote:

OMFG

we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy w00t w00t w00t w00t SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

GIVE ME NOWWWW

mark_snipz

Blinkin' nice!!!

zvukoprocessor

intellijel wrote:

[/img]

intellijel we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy

neilbaldwin

I would sell at least one of my arms for that intellijel one!

love we're not worthy

apemandan

wow! both very cool..Tombola, how difficult is this build?

bodo

Both look really incredible! We need more modules like these thumbs up

Jaspo

Great post .. thanks for sharing

l e b e r

cor blimey! woah

neilbaldwin

I'm like john turturro in this clip:

Tombola

qu.one wrote:
Adding CV over the pot controls would bring it to a whole new level. Are the patterns generated predetermined? Could they be changed via updating?

Yes, there's a spare analog in waiting for me to get round to experimenting with CV control. The patterns are algorithmically created from the two knob positions.

Tombola

jenamu6 wrote:
Nice ....more blinkieblinks applause applause applause we're not worthy we're not worthy

Yes, my design process was a little bit "I have a matrix, what can I do with it?"

robotfunk

This is exactly how I've been programming my rhythms for the last 20 years... now an algorithm does the same job, great... I want one nonetheless smile

Tombola

apemandan wrote:
wow! both very cool..Tombola, how difficult is this build?

It's fiddly on perfboard, but basically simple - the arduino ucontroller, a chip to drive the matrix, 3 x encoders, and a few digital outs.

Most of the time was coding and debugging - one of the encoders still doesn't work properly.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next [all]
Page 1 of 12