MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I Dream Of Wires: The Modular Synthesizer Documentary
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires  
Author I Dream Of Wires: The Modular Synthesizer Documentary
s o l v e n t
Hi,

I have started a new thread for this subject, on account of a name change, and some announcements.

First of the all, the film previously known as "Modular the Documentary" has officially changed its name to:
"I Dream Of Wires: The Modular Synthesizer Documentary"

Also, we have just launched an IndieGoGo fund raising campaign for "I Dream Of Wires", with rewards and incentives for your contribution. If you have any interest in this film, even if you are not able to contribute, please take the time to check out the page - it is full of information about our story, plans, aspirations, and an ETA for the film's completion. You want us to travel to Germany to interview Dieter Doepfer? You want us to travel to the West Coast to interview Don Buchla? Here is your opportunity to help us to make these things happen:
http://www.indiegogo.com/I-Dream-of-Wires

We now have an official website (UNDER CONSTRUCTION):
http://idreamofwires.org

And we're on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/idreamofwiresdocumentary

thanks,

Jason (I Dream Of Wires producer)
annex03
I like the new name better, it's rather fitting, I just woke from a dream of patch cables MY ASS IS BLEEDING
mattysal
i dream of wires and prophet 5's thumbs up
Carci
Just donated.

Cheers,
LoFi Junglist
Am going to go for the $45 package w00t

I hope you can make XXL shirts.
pointsource
Those T-shirts are only 1 size or we can choose the size?
s o l v e n t
Yes you'll be able to choose the size. We will contact people about that as we are getting ready to place our Tshirt order in.

BTW we have a top-notch, world renowned designer who is going to develop an amazing visual look for the film/DVD/shirts etc... it's going to look amazing.

pointsource wrote:
Those T-shirts are only 1 size or we can choose the size?
s o l v e n t
LoFi Junglist wrote:
Am going to go for the $45 package w00t

I hope you can make XXL shirts.

Yes no prob.
sunnyb
the trailer makes me sad cuz i dont have a buchla :(

gonna definitely go for the t shirt package smile
reppiks
any idea what the t-shirt design will be yet? i'd like to see that before committing to the t-shirt package...
s o l v e n t
reppiks wrote:
any idea what the t-shirt design will be yet? i'd like to see that before committing to the t-shirt package...

I can understand that -- however I don't think we are going to have a design to show off for at least a month or 2. This is all that I can tell you for now:

"BTW we have a top-notch, world renowned designer who is going to develop an amazing visual look for the film/DVD/shirts etc... it's going to look amazing."

The designer in question is not 100% confirmed, but very likely... his current list of clients includes people like Microsoft, Coke, and Apple, so as you can imagine he knows what he's doing! On a more related note, he also happened to design one of the best synthpop album sleeves of all time, an early-80s classic, and one that I'm sure many people on this forum own and love. Please no guesses though - we don't want to jinx it!
reppiks
thanks, sounds promising
essex sound lab
I think I know who the designer must be, but don't want to jinx it.

Then again, I'd pony up even if the T-shirt looked like Cynical Man.

clarke68
+1 on the new title. thumbs up

Will definitely be getting in on the fundraising, just gotta raise some funds of my own (i.e. get paid) first. Way to go scoring a "top-notch, world renowned designer" for your packaging, etc., but JSYK I'd rock pretty much anything that said "I Dream of Wires" on it!

nanners
mattysal
$45 package seems like the package for me, unless i can get $1500 and get executive producer credit to boost my ego!! Exxxcellent
Monobass
That whole buying an Executive Producer credit thing is very weird... but I really like the whole crowdsourcing concept, I'll definitely contribute when I get my next pay packet.
polyroy
Yeah, will contribute when I've got some money spare!

Still loving the snippit of the guy from Xeno and Oaklander in the extended trailer, that guy rules.
sduck
contributed
dougt
I wish you good luck but if you don't raise the $30K what happens to the project and the investors?
fivesteppath
Looks good.
vav
Donated. Do we get thanked in the credits?
CLee
I'll be contributing, great project.

Also, I don't know where you are but if you need any audio post help and want to do it in Chicago let me know. It's my day job...

Craig
s o l v e n t
dougt wrote:
I wish you good luck but if you don't raise the $30K what happens to the project and the investors?

It will still get made and people will get the package that they paid for. It just means that we won't likely be able to afford to do things like go to Germany &/or the UK. There is already enough footage for an interesting doc, and after our West Coast trip, including NAMM 2012, there is no doubt that we will have more than enough footage for a great doc. But it would be a shame to limit it to the North American scene/perspective.

You know, when the initial threads for this doc were posted here on MW, and on our Facebook page,, there were so many people practically demanding that we fly anywhere and everywhere on the planet that there are people we should interview. Stuff like "How can these guys make a doc about modular synthesizers and not interview Dieter Doepfer?!". There was a guy who declared that it would be LAME if we didn't go to Scotland to interview Ken Macbeth. I sure do hope that some of those people put their money where their mouth is! We're not filming on a BBC budget here - in fact before this IndieGoGo funding started, the project had been entirely funded by the director Robert, out of his own pocket.

Anyway, on a positive note, I have a good feeling that we will be able to raise that $30k. $3k in 1 day is not a bad start at all! Thanks so much to everyone who has contributed so far, and thanks in advance to those planning to contribute in the future...

Jason
s o l v e n t
I'll be responding to some of the other questions, as well as a few PMs I've received about the doc, soon... probably over the weekend.
Robert McLeod
contributed
beautyofdecay_
Great idea!

So far, I like what I see in the trailer.
Although it's great to see the different setups of people the most interesting part you address is, I think, what attracts people to modulars. The viewpoint of the designer and the viewpoint of the user of the instrument.
It gives more depth to the documentary.

Great stuff.
s o l v e n t
vav wrote:
Donated. Do we get thanked in the credits?

Thanks for the generous contribution - appreciated!

To answer your question: No - for a couple of reasons:
(1) it doesn't give people much incentive to contribute for one of those $1500+ Executive Producer credits, if you get more or less the same thing by contributing $25. BTW, I understand that some people may find that option kind of crazy, but it's something that I found all similar campaigns offered, and some people seem to like the option. In fact, we got a hit on it already!
(2) we didn't mention that on the IndieGoGo campaign page, and for all I know, some people may not want their name in the credits. I don't want to risk invading someone's privacy that didn't want their name published, and I don't want to take the time to check with every contributor individually.

Jason
Luka
Good luck with it

I know it is an excuse but i have no job and am traveling the world on a thin budget otherwise i'd happily chip in. I hope you reach your goal.
s o l v e n t
Hi,

Looking for some ideas/suggestions -- I've posted, or seen other people post, about the film & IndieGoGo campaign, on the following blogs/forums:

- Muff Wiggler (!)
- Matrixsynth
- Gearslutz
- Synthtopia (which turned into a rather nasty debate!)
- Electro-Music
- Analogue Heaven email list

I think that's it... Does anyone have any suggestions for synth-related, or even electronic music-related, sites that I could contact about spreading the word? The contributions ($5700+ in 8 days - awesome!) have been really directly related to how active the subject has been in forums like this.

We've been getting some awesome interviews lined up in Europe (Dieter Doepfer just confirmed!) but honestly I don't think we should make any definite plans in Europe until we're further along in the funding.

I also wanted to mention that it sounds like we may have got our first 'famous' musician on board... And by 'famous' I mean, famous outside of electronic music nerd circles! Really happy about this, as it'll really broaden the appeal of the film! (My lips are sealed about who it is, for now)

thanks

Jason
Jim's computer beats
Maybe try Peter Kirn from Create Digital Music (they cover analog too!)? And Trash Audio?
Rod Serling Fan Club
Sometimes retrothing covers synth stuff.
vav
email Keyboard mag/EM? I dont think Gino Robair writes for those guys anymore, but he posts here...
s o l v e n t
thanks for these suggestions!
Veqtor
You really should cover more of europe, like cwejman

Also, you should get some video synth graphics and some nice AE titles etc
s o l v e n t
Veqtor wrote:
You really should cover more of europe, like cwejman

Also, you should get some video synth graphics and some nice AE titles etc

People making "You really should" comments - please keep our situation in mind. Not that anyone should be expected to contribute on account of having an opinion, but understand that we are a small, independent production, so what "should" be done and what can be done are going to be dependent on how our IndieGoGo campaign pans out. Please give this a read:

http://www.indiegogo.com/I-Dream-of-Wires

Specifically, the "What We Need & What You Get" section.

And also this FAQ:

Q: If you don’t raise the $30K what happens to the project and the investors?

A: It will still get made and people will get the package that they paid for. It just means that we won’t likely be able to afford to do things like go to Germany &/or the UK. There is already enough footage for an interesting doc, and after our West Coast trip, including NAMM 2012, there is no doubt that we will have more than enough footage for a great doc. But it would be a shame to limit it to the North American scene/perspective.
Meat Parade
SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
sascha.victoria
Please interview Rex Probe of STS (Serge)!!!!!
metasonix
s o l v e n t wrote:

Oh? I didn't see anything about it on Synthtopia's forum.
Was it deleted?

Also: saw the Gearslutz "discussion". Isn't Gearslutz a warm and welcoming place?..... razz
drewtoothpaste
There is sooooo much modular stuff going on in the US and Canada that it would be a waste of money to travel overseas considering that "Totally Wired" was all about Doepfer, Cwejman, Macbeth, Schneiders & the European modular scene.

No need to cover the same material when you can hit up dozens of manufacturers without even opening up your passport.
emergencyofstate
If it's not already been suggested (if you guys make it to the UK) Tom Bugs would be highly recommended.

But--if I bring my bugbrand system to NAMM this year will you guys take footage of it?? hihi 8_) applause
s o l v e n t
That film was about the shop. Even if you were to think of it as a film about the European modular scene, IMO our director, Robert, is taking a much more personal, less technical, approach to his interviews, and you can see the contrast when you compare the 2 trailers. I'm not worried about overlap, and we are aiming to make a film that is a comprehensive exploration of the resurgence of modulars, so there is no question in our minds that people like Doepfer need to be covered. We'll get some EU people that weren't in Totally Wired as well.

drewtoothpaste wrote:
There is sooooo much modular stuff going on in the US and Canada that it would be a waste of money to travel overseas considering that "Totally Wired" was all about Doepfer, Cwejman, Macbeth, Schneiders & the European modular scene.

No need to cover the same material when you can hit up dozens of manufacturers without even opening up your passport.
s o l v e n t
metasonix wrote:
s o l v e n t wrote:

Oh? I didn't see anything about it on Synthtopia's forum.
Was it deleted?

Also: saw the Gearslutz "discussion". Isn't Gearslutz a warm and welcoming place?..... razz

that Gearslutz comment, coming from a teenager obviously, was *nothing* compared to the utter nastiness of this one guy over at Synthopia... I'm almost embarrassed to even point out this link, considering how much I let this guy get to me - I'm honestly still blown away by how cynical this guy's comments were (you have to unhide his first comment for any of the rest to make sense):

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2011/10/07/i-dream-of-wires-modular- synthesizer-documentary/
haricots
drewtoothpaste wrote:

I couldn't agree more. By that I mean I wouldn't be let down if you covered just the NA scene. I'll be sure to donate shortly. SlayerBadger!
rico loverde
Wow that synthfan is a douchebag. What a dick. I for one think what your doing is great for the community, the manufacturers, and the users. No matter what you do there will always be haters, synthfan is obviously one. I def plan on contributing once I have a little more cash. As far as things I'd like to see, I'd love to see interviews with some of the newer players on the scene...Malekko, make noise, harvestman, metasonix,Pittsburgh, intellijel, moon, stg, etc etc Some of these may be in there already

I'm really looking forward to this and commend you guys on work!
rico loverde
Newer players may not have been the correct term, maybe new wave is better?
s o l v e n t
haricots wrote:
drewtoothpaste wrote:

I couldn't agree more. By that I mean I wouldn't be let down if you covered just the NA scene. I'll be sure to donate shortly. SlayerBadger!

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, of course, but for everyone of you guys, who think that we could or should concentrate on North America, there's two (or three, or four,...) other people saying the exact opposite.

I'm sure that it'll be a great film even if we don't get enough funding to make it to Europe, but IMO it will be so much better and more comprehensive if we do; so we will be somewhat disappointed if that's what it comes down to. But our enthusiasm and commitment to the project will be the same either way.
s o l v e n t
rico loverde wrote:
Wow that synthfan is a douchebag. What a dick. I for one think what your doing is great for the community, the manufacturers, and the users. No matter what you do there will always be haters, synthfan is obviously one. I def plan on contributing once I have a little more cash. As far as things I'd like to see, I'd love to see interviews with some of the newer players on the scene...Malekko, make noise, harvestman, metasonix,Pittsburgh, intellijel, moon, stg, etc etc Some of these may be in there already

I'm really looking forward to this and commend you guys on work!

Cool thanks so much... many of those people are confirmed or semi-confirmed, and I expect we'll end up talking to some of the others that we hadn't arranged to talk to, if & when we meet them at NAMM.
Dirk95100
You should also talk to Rob Hordijk.
computer controlled
Have you talked to Zoog from Angelspit? He's in NYC, and LOVES his Modular =o]
mckenic
Hi solvent!

Congrats on this it is VERY exciting! Please dont ignore an entire continent even if you have to do telephone/skype interviews! Thats the reason Ive not seen the Schneiders film - its not a modular doc, its a love story apparently... well that and my streaming is crap! hihi

Quick question please (sorry if this is explained elsewhere) -
I'd like as much footage as possible so Id like the Dvd-R set. Can you explain please if its the original film and then dvd-rs of the interviews? Id also like to pick-up the soundtrack/t-shirt etc but Im poor atm. Is this our only chance to get these things or will they still be available in the future?

Good luck & thanks for doing this!
s o l v e n t
mckenic wrote:
Hi solvent!

Congrats on this it is VERY exciting! Please dont ignore an entire continent even if you have to do telephone/skype interviews! Thats the reason Ive not seen the Schneiders film - its not a modular doc, its a love story apparently... well that and my streaming is crap! hihi

I don't really think of it as a modular doc either. I also feel like it has zero appeal outside of synth/music nerds, whereas I feel that somehow Robert's approach has a broader appeal - without dumbing things down for the synth nerds of course.

mckenic wrote:
Quick question please (sorry if this is explained elsewhere) -
I'd like as much footage as possible so Id like the Dvd-R set. Can you explain please if its the original film and then dvd-rs of the interviews? Id also like to pick-up the soundtrack/t-shirt etc but Im poor atm. Is this our only chance to get these things or will they still be available in the future?

If there is enough demand for things like Tshirts, soundtrack LPs, etc, these things will remain available/in-print as long as there is demand. Same applies to the commercial DVD as well, of course.

Every interview so far has been 1-2 hours long, and I'm sure there will be a whole lot more like that. So we're going to end up with a tonne of extra footage. Not just interviews either - also some in-studio performances/jam-sessions. Some of it will be edited into extended segments, to be used as DVD extras, &/or for YouTube etc. To give you a preview of what to expect with those, Robert is currently putting together an extended Morton Subotnick interview piece - expect that in the near future.

So what the DVD-R-boxset is going to have on it is all of these DVD/YouTube extra segments, maybe 1 or 2 other exclusive segments, plus loads of completely unedited footage, basically complete interviews & in-studio performances. I'm imagining it will contain 8 to 10 DVD-Rs. The DVD-R-boxsets will only be available through this pre-order, and are definitely limited to 50 copies.
Low-Gain
Jason where you guys going to be able to sit down with Jack Dangers? Or Robert Rich?

They'd be really great for a film like this.
s o l v e n t
Jack Dangers crossed my mind but I haven't been in touch. We are going to SF though so if he is still there I will. Where does Robert Rich live?

Low-Gain wrote:
Jason where you guys going to be able to sit down with Jack Dangers? Or Robert Rich?

They'd be really great for a film like this.
spinach_pizza
s o l v e n t wrote:
Jack Dangers crossed my mind but I haven't been in touch. We are going to SF though so if he is still there I will. Where does Robert Rich live?

Mountain View, California, I believe. He is pretty easy to get a hold of:

http://robertrich.com/contact/
chrisso
s o l v e n t wrote:

I don't really think of it as a modular doc either. I also feel like it has zero appeal outside of synth/music nerds.

Agreed. The more it appealed to 'synth nerds' the less appeal it would have to the casual observer = less income to repay film costs.
To even contemplate bypassing Europe and concentrating on North America would be tragic. d'oh!
Even as a semi synth nerd myself, I think the key to synthesis is the player/programmer. So the makers are fun to talk to, but the actual pro users are key.
Just my 0.2c
rico loverde
spinach_pizza wrote:
s o l v e n t wrote:

Mountain View, California, I believe. He is pretty easy to get a hold of:

http://robertrich.com/contact/
Robert is such an awesome guy. So friendly and helpful.
clarke68
s o l v e n t wrote:
Jack Dangers crossed my mind but I haven't been in touch. We are going to SF though so if he is still there I will.

Awesome! Any idea when you'll be out? If we organized a meet the weekend you were in town, would you come (and bring your camera crew)? hyper
rico loverde
clarke68 wrote:
s o l v e n t wrote:
Jack Dangers crossed my mind but I haven't been in touch. We are going to SF though so if he is still there I will.

Awesome! Any idea when you'll be out? If we organized a meet the weekend you were in town, would you come (and bring your camera crew)? hyper
I could get the Gilman space again, it's in Berkeley though
ignatius
man the internet.. wtf.. is full of idiots.

Solvent, don't let morons dishearten you. i think your fundraiser campaign is pretty transparent and it's obvious that some people just don't understand what is involved in making a film or undertaking any project where professional results are the goal.

so, good luck with it all and i hope you guys don't get into too many 'pulling out the hair' situations smile thumbs up
s o l v e n t
rico loverde wrote:
clarke68 wrote:
s o l v e n t wrote:

Yes I think I PMd you about maybe setting 1 of these up while we were in town, didn't I Rico? It would be around NAMM - I'll let you know soon.

Gilman - are we talking about the legendary punk venue?!
mamonu
very exciting ... (donated a small amount...)

would love to see content from Europe... but even if not... no problem....
s o l v e n t
Robert is making a return visit to NYC Nov 4-8. He is mostly booked up but if anyone has any leads for a key interview, please PM me. We'd love to get James Murphy or Malcolm Cecil, for example.
rico loverde
s o l v e n t wrote:
rico loverde wrote:
clarke68 wrote:
s o l v e n t wrote:

Yes I think I PMd you about maybe setting 1 of these up while we were in town, didn't I Rico? It would be around NAMM - I'll let you know soon.

Gilman - are we talking about the legendary punk venue?!
I don't remember a pm, yea it's the punk club we have had one meet there so far and they r very open to more...
s o l v e n t
rico loverde wrote:
I don't remember a pm, yea it's the punk club we have had one meet there so far and they r very open to more...

I just recently finished a book about Bay Area Punk called "Gimme Something Better" and about 1/3 of it was centered around the scene at that club. I really like the idea of it being there!
clarke68
s o l v e n t wrote:
I really like the idea of it being there!

Same here! I bet we'd get a pretty good turnout, too, if people knew you were coming out. thumbs up
sixtyten
I've just recently rekindled my interest in modulars and a friend recommended this forum. Noticed this post, piqued my interest as I'm always up for a well done documentary. Jason/Solvent being involved makes it even more rad! The trailer looks awesome! I just donated. If I wasn't 6$ away from being a poor man I would have donated a lot more. It's more like a pre-order anyway as I would have bought all the schwag anyway. Good luck.
jules
ABout the negative comments on the other forums:
I tough that kind of things was highly unlikely to happen considering the target audience. You have to sometimes wonder how we managed to so often reach the nearly statistically improbable when it comes human behaviour.

Leave all these haploids behind, and steer that boat!
And for the rest of us, let's row to paypal. Come on!
s o l v e n t
Thanks for the kind words guys...

Rico and the rest of the Bay Area modular guys... I'm going to get back to you soon with dates that we will be in town. I don't want to attempt to nail anything down until I know exactly when we will be there... Once I've got that sorted, then we can try to set this meeting up.
clarke68
Just donated...I hope that helps make the CA trip happen!
Bolaman
Hi Jason,
Darrell here (Bola)
Just joined the Wiggler and discovered you're IDOW thread.
It sounds fantastic man! I'm really intrigued about it and I'm sure all the guys at SKAM etc will be also....... I'll make sure to spread the good word.

I personally have only really been involved with modular since I began my self imposed absence from making Bola albums, but I must admit to it being a great distraction, if not a revelation zombie
I'm quite sure you could teach me an awful lot about the finer points of patchmania hmmm.....

All the best and keep it up,

Darrell
s o l v e n t
Hi Darrell...

we're not worthy Bola ! we're not worthy SKAM !

If we make it to the UK for some interviews, I will be in touch... It would be great to meet you again.

Jason
Bolaman
Hi Jason,
Crikey I don't know if I deserve that kind of Emoticon

If you know if you're going to get over to the UK, let me know beforehand and we can try and get stuff arranged, be great to meet up with you again!

Darrell
pabloawad
When will be released in dvd?

The trailer looks cool!
drip.feed
pabloawad wrote:

The trailer looks cool!

Yeah, any news on the production timetable?
Fidgit
pabloawad wrote:

The trailer looks cool!

http://idreamofwires.org/

FAQ

Q: When will the film be released?
A: We are aiming to conclude filming before summer 2012, with a fall/winter 2012 ETA for the completed film.
s o l v e n t
Fidgit wrote:
pabloawad wrote:

The trailer looks cool!

http://idreamofwires.org/

FAQ

Q: When will the film be released?
A: We are aiming to conclude filming before summer 2012, with a fall/winter 2012 ETA for the completed film.

that's right... although we have been talking to some distributors about the film, and realistically that release date may have been a bit optimistic. Now that filming's complete we are starting to look into this stuff more thoroughly and will likely be announcing a firm release date in the near future.
mechie
s o l v e n t wrote:

...realistically that release date may have been a bit optimistic.
... will likely be announcing a firm release date in the near future.

I can't remember where but I picked up somewhere about a possible Spring 2013 release - not long now then Drums!

I have no problem at all waiting (impatiently) for this, better to wait than get a rushed, sub-standard product but
it just seems a long time since the last update.
plca5per
This doc looks so amazing. I keep watching the clip on the Pittsburgh Modular site.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires  
Page 1 of 4