MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Euro Modular Synth ReadMe.1st
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next [all]
Author Euro Modular Synth ReadMe.1st
MichaelInDallas
Phineas

Thanks so much for your detailed informative post....you have convinced me that I need to do a lot more research and homework before dropping $3k.... I will most likely take you advice and start smaller and slower,,,,

Thanks again

Michael
jochem
All the info in this thread is giving me a lot of valuable info, thanks!

A question i have: what can i use to generate a clock signal, to feed into a sequencer.

Thanks, jochem.
PhineasFreak
jochem wrote:
...A question i have: what can i use to generate a clock signal, to feed into a sequencer...

in theory, a clock signal would be any signal with a steep rising edge occurring on a regular basis - from the perfect 50% duty cycle pulse wave (i.e. squarewave) at 5V to a string of triggers or gates as long as there's sufficient voltage.

in practice some modules will accept anything from a sin or triangle to a very weak low voltage blip sequence, and others simply wont run right without a decent voltage above 5V and a strong rising edge.

most lfos with a squarewave or the output of other sequencing modules like clock dividers, logics or random pulse generators can be relied upon as a general rule tho.
smitten
lots of info. Thanks
jeremyb
Thanks for the helpful info!
zynapse
So much useful information here. Even this forum is addictive.
MrDef
A lot of helpfull informations here, thanks!
wiggies
New here, there is so much to digest ... Thanks.
kylverstone
Another neophyte here! Thanks for the excellent info!
Rob Kam
flx wrote:
PhineasFreak wrote:

short of patching output to output or someother module specific not to do's that manufacturers warn about, do ANYTHING!!!

What happens when you patch an output to another output? Will something blow up? confused

Bump for an explanation please.
PhineasFreak
output to output shouldn't be a problem with modern, professionally built modules - short circuit protection is generally built-in so and if there was a risk of damage when connecting two outputs you wouldnt be able to use multiples in a modular system. Issue are most likely to arise these days when patching combined outputs to an input.
Rob Kam
Thanks and for the informative thread applause
Maneville
Much helpfulness for one for whom 2017 is the year the modular begins.

Salut!
quollism
Thanks for this! we're not worthy
jommutta
This is so cool. Thanks everyone for provide the very helpful contain.
affectedbrain
done ! Thanks
chilllwinston
this thread is so

it took a lot of eyes...

but if it helps avoid very frustrating then it was all worthwhile

thanks everyone!

thumbs up
mentalism
Thankyou to everyone who has contributed to the various newbie threads, they have been very useful.

I will be taking the plunge into eurorack very soon (i still have a few old bits of gear to sell first to make up the space in my wallet) and I'm sure I will have many questions
neonjung
thought I knew a fair amount about modular synthesis but after reading this I've realised how little I actually know - time to get patching and learning. thanks for the useful info thumbs up
setanta_dub
Great info...
elliottogden
Nice thread, helped me a lot!
Vlad Green
Thanks! thumbs up
djangelmonroy
Lot of thanks guys! Awesome info.
PhineasFreak

you see many threads about 'have i designed my starter system right?
or i have x to spend, how do i get started. i designed an ideal starter system to show the stuff to think about:

at face value it looks dull:
2 x vco, 4x vca, 1 x noise source, 1 x filter,1 x vcs, crossfader, utilities and 1 x freq divider.

but...

- one vco is thru zero capable, 2 vcos are also lfos by switch,
- the vcas are polarising so can take advantage of the the vco and polarising mixer as well as doubling up as rinfmodulator pairs or even vc ring mods
- the noise sourse has filters for providing coloured noise and also acts as a random voltage source
- the filter is multimode so services many different uses and sounds
- the vcs can act as an eg, lfo, slew, lpf, sub garmonic gen and much more besides
- the amplifier is a useful utility that also allows vcas and filters and mixes to be overdriven for interesting sounds
- a crossfader for making complex timbres that evolve with time but also can be used to process cvs,
- multiples to allow splitting of signals and using single outs to control multiple modules or inputs
- a polarising mixer acts as mixer, inverter, cv source and more
the frequency divider can act as a vc subharmonic generator to produce pitch contolled sub lines and glissandos etc - also can do interesting sequencing duties at low freq

this means if you buy used modules from within your local area and get an lc powered case you can get started along these lines for about £1000.

the possibilities of this system are enourmous allowing a huge variety of synthesis such as fm, am, tz, east coast, west coat, harmonic overtones/undertones and much much more.

the number of cables that can prove necessary will likely cause some surprise tho

for learning the basics of analogue synthesis, getting into modular and acting on a budgett, this type of setup is ideal - leaving room for all the fancy stuff in future...
cptnal
PhineasFreak wrote:

you see many threads about 'have i designed my starter system right?
or i have x to spend, how do i get started. i designed an ideal starter system to show the stuff to think about:

at face value it looks dull:
2 x vco, 4x vca, 1 x noise source, 1 x filter,1 x vcs, crossfader, utilities and 1 x freq divider.

but...

- one vco is thru zero capable, 2 vcos are also lfos by switch,
- the vcas are polarising so can take advantage of the the vco and polarising mixer as well as doubling up as rinfmodulator pairs or even vc ring mods
- the noise sourse has filters for providing coloured noise and also acts as a random voltage source
- the filter is multimode so services many different uses and sounds
- the vcs can act as an eg, lfo, slew, lpf, sub garmonic gen and much more besides
- the amplifier is a useful utility that also allows vcas and filters and mixes to be overdriven for interesting sounds
- a crossfader for making complex timbres that evolve with time but also can be used to process cvs,
- multiples to allow splitting of signals and using single outs to control multiple modules or inputs
- a polarising mixer acts as mixer, inverter, cv source and more
the frequency divider can act as a vc subharmonic generator to produce pitch contolled sub lines and glissandos etc - also can do interesting sequencing duties at low freq

this means if you buy used modules from within your local area and get an lc powered case you can get started along these lines for about £1000.

the possibilities of this system are enourmous allowing a huge variety of synthesis such as fm, am, tz, east coast, west coat, harmonic overtones/undertones and much much more.

the number of cables that can prove necessary will likely cause some surprise tho

for learning the basics of analogue synthesis, getting into modular and acting on a budgett, this type of setup is ideal - leaving room for all the fancy stuff in future...

I'm not looking for ideas for my new rack, but you've given me lots of ideas for the one I have. This is fun!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next [all]
Page 10 of 12