MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Euro Modular Synth ReadMe.1st
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next [all]
Author Euro Modular Synth ReadMe.1st
Armand
Awesome thread, many thanks to all for explaining the reasoning behind each idea!
n0npr0phet
Thanks for the detail in this thread!
n0npr0phet
PhineasFreak wrote:

2 x vco, 4x vca, 1 x noise source, 1 x filter,1 x vcs, crossfader, utilities and 1 x freq divider.

the frequency divider can act as a vc subharmonic generator to produce pitch contolled sub lines and glissandos etc - also can do interesting sequencing duties at low freq

What unit is performing the frequency divider duties in this setup?
PhineasFreak
OOPS!

sorry, original pic fixed - didnt know it changed if i made changes in modgrid....
StateAzure
Thanks for the info!
War_On_Rugs
This thread is really helping me get into all the different possibilities on where to start off my modular, thanks guys!
auricom
thanks this is very helpful!
fuzz0r
Thanks for taking the time... smile
Grumble
I don't own a euro system, but do have a growing diy modular system and the beauty of this thread for me is that a lot of (for me) unknown modules are mentioned and I just highlight them, right click and google for them.
Thus learning a lot of nice stuff and getting some pretty cool ideas for new modules nanners
spinalbeatz
I've bookmarked this thread as I feel it'll really come in handy as I dive into the world of modular synthesis. Thank you! SlayerBadger!
notjoesuthers
Thanks for all the help! Can't wait to dive in.
ajROB
great help, thanks!
Weedmunky
hyper Thanks for posting this! I'm an ultra noob!
AndrewSouthworth
This is an incredibly helpful resource. As a beginner I don't even find myself having to ask anything because everything has been answered before on this forum haha
Oodo85
Can we get an expanded/updated version of the first post? Include more terms and explanations for us noobs. nanners
cloudswim
THanks for this !
ian:o
really helpful thread!
shoottofill
handy stuff!
PhineasFreak
Oodo85 wrote:
Can we get an expanded/updated version of the first post? Include more terms and explanations for us noobs. nanners

the main problems withis are:
a)it's a helluva a task for one person
b)more than one person leads to arguments about correct terminology etc
c)it's very hard to fill the grey area between bare minimum and full on handbook - i.e. deciding what the right level of complexity vs basic explanation is exceedingly hard

all of those things above pretty much dictate that the document be written by someone with experiece in writing manuals, guidebooks etc but also is enough of a noob themselsves that they cane easy see what is or isnt necessay.

any volunteers are welcome!
nathanbits
applause applause applause applause applause thanks friends! #learning
Noisepan
TL:DR Looking for input if Ill be able to accomplish what I want to accomplish, and if there are glaring things Im missing in the rack I made

Welp Ive decided to jump into modular, mostly because I feel restricted by my current synths and Mylarmelodies' video of the Intellijel Metropolis sold me.

SO here's what I've come up with (getting a 2x104hp case with power)

THE RACK: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/472921

This is kind of the vein of music I'm going for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jklxdXgHDH4 (note the noise based percussion, skip to 3:13)

For reference, I have a Studio Electronics Boomstar that I will integrate into this system, as well as a mixer. I am selling most of my other equipment.

The first module I want to get is the metropolis, as Ill be able to sequence the boomstar and it just looks so fun. From there, I'll pick up modules as I see them pop up used.

I guess what Im looking for is if Im missing things in this system. Ive read about quantizers and all sorts of utility modules but Im not really sure how things interact in eurorack. Im looking to have a "all in one" techno box, with minimal percussion (really just a base drum and clap).

The rest of percussion I hope to get from noise(white/pink), playing with attacks and release on the envelopes sequenced by the varigate.

I feel like im missing voices, something to create background pads etc. I dont want a module that will require me to use samples, I hate samples and just like pure synthesis.

I will want to play the boomstar with my keyboard once the rack is full, leaving the eurorack for the background. My idea was having the pressure points changing root notes/patterns on the metropolis on top of controlling other parts of the rack. Also lots of intellijel because their stuff seems to fit with what Im trying to do and be very useful.

Thank you for taking the time to read my rambling and help me out!
MoogCloud
Noisepan wrote:
TL:DR Looking for input if Ill be able to accomplish what I want to accomplish, and if there are glaring things Im missing in the rack I made

Welp Ive decided to jump into modular, mostly because I feel restricted by my current synths and Mylarmelodies' video of the Intellijel Metropolis sold me.

SO here's what I've come up with (getting a 2x104hp case with power)

THE RACK: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/472921

This is kind of the vein of music I'm going for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jklxdXgHDH4 (note the noise based percussion, skip to 3:13)

For reference, I have a Studio Electronics Boomstar that I will integrate into this system, as well as a mixer. I am selling most of my other equipment.

The first module I want to get is the metropolis, as Ill be able to sequence the boomstar and it just looks so fun. From there, I'll pick up modules as I see them pop up used.

I guess what Im looking for is if Im missing things in this system. Ive read about quantizers and all sorts of utility modules but Im not really sure how things interact in eurorack. Im looking to have a "all in one" techno box, with minimal percussion (really just a base drum and clap).

The rest of percussion I hope to get from noise(white/pink), playing with attacks and release on the envelopes sequenced by the varigate.

I feel like im missing voices, something to create background pads etc. I dont want a module that will require me to use samples, I hate samples and just like pure synthesis.

I will want to play the boomstar with my keyboard once the rack is full, leaving the eurorack for the background. My idea was having the pressure points changing root notes/patterns on the metropolis on top of controlling other parts of the rack. Also lots of intellijel because their stuff seems to fit with what Im trying to do and be very useful.

Thank you for taking the time to read my rambling and help me out!

Well, as you may know by now, the Metropolis has an internal quantizer in just about any key you'd like. This is helpful because not all sequencers do that. Of course the Metropolis takes up a lot of rack real estate, but it's play-ability makes that size worth while. Throwing LFO input into the AUX inputs can really juice up a sequence (check out the manual for details). It was my first sequencer and while I've subsequently sold three other sequencers this one is a keeper.

Have fun! Rockin' Banana!
7on5on8on3
Hello! I want sure what the forum etiquette for a first post is? Is here ok?

After lots of deliberation and playing with vcv rack I'm making a step into modular by joining this forum.

I've done this to investigate a music idea that seems to have no other way to explore. what I'm interested in is rythms, weird rythms. I first wanted to start a band a drill everyone James brown style to play my wierd rythms, but I've not got time for that, now it seems I can make these rythms using a clever collection of modules, but I've got to them make beats/tunes from them, and that's when I need advice.

what I'm doing in vcv is hitting sequencers with irregular triggers, and lots of resets to transfer rythm patterns into drum beats and basslines, but I hate using a computer so want hardware that will replicate this as cheap as possible. I'm confident I can make the trigger patterns using one, or two bastl little nerds, and a logical or, but what to send it to? I need a sequencer that will be externally clocked on a trigger per step, but with irregular tirggers, have a variable sequence length, and a reset that will play the first step.

I first th ought about using volcas, as cheap, but no reset I think? The alturia beatstep looks good but also no reset. The mLB sequencers seem like a great deal, but searching this forum tells me they are unreliable when externally clocked. I'd love to just buy all the sequencers and find the one that behaves the best, but this seems rather pricey, and is a more expensive hobby than my daughters lego habit!

sorry if this first post is in the wrong place, or makes no sense!
MoogCloud
7on5on8on3 wrote:
Hello! I want sure what the forum etiquette for a first post is? Is here ok?

After lots of deliberation and playing with vcv rack I'm making a step into modular by joining this forum.

I've done this to investigate a music idea that seems to have no other way to explore. what I'm interested in is rythms, weird rythms. I first wanted to start a band a drill everyone James brown style to play my wierd rythms, but I've not got time for that, now it seems I can make these rythms using a clever collection of modules, but I've got to them make beats/tunes from them, and that's when I need advice.

what I'm doing in vcv is hitting sequencers with irregular triggers, and lots of resets to transfer rythm patterns into drum beats and basslines, but I hate using a computer so want hardware that will replicate this as cheap as possible. I'm confident I can make the trigger patterns using one, or two bastl little nerds, and a logical or, but what to send it to? I need a sequencer that will be externally clocked on a trigger per step, but with irregular tirggers, have a variable sequence length, and a reset that will play the first step.

I first th ought about using volcas, as cheap, but no reset I think? The alturia beatstep looks good but also no reset. The mLB sequencers seem like a great deal, but searching this forum tells me they are unreliable when externally clocked. I'd love to just buy all the sequencers and find the one that behaves the best, but this seems rather pricey, and is a more expensive hobby than my daughters lego habit!

sorry if this first post is in the wrong place, or makes no sense!

I’m on my phone...so hopefully so don’t goof up this reply.

One sequencer that might provide some flexibility, including resets is the GRIDS by Mutable Instruments.
It uses internal or external clock, and has a lot of morphing from patterns that are easy to modify.

https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/grids/manual/
7on5on8on3
Hmm worth considering. I think there's a version in vcv I can experiment with. Is there something similar in terms of resets that I can have complete control of?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next [all]
Page 11 of 12