MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Euro Modular Synth ReadMe.1st
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next [all]
Author Euro Modular Synth ReadMe.1st
stevelew
+1 sticky!
m0d01
Well done, guys! This is pure gold!

thank you!
daluxer
Thanks a lot - all the information on clock data is pure gold!

Worth reading even if you know the basics smile
Bremer
Great tutorial thumbs up Thanks
rdomain
Some great info collated here. Some handy tips for sure.

Thanks!
Isolde and Isobelle
Excellent thread and brilliant info on specifics, thanks to all who have contributed so far. love
arnoux
I vote to sticky this good thread..
misa
yes, why not stick it? I was looking for exactly this when I was starting out..

Thanks for bringing this up again, whoever did.
waifl
super helpful! Thanks all.
bedd
+1 more for a sticky! I would have found this very useful a few months ago. wink
matttech
where’s the Freak ??
PhineasFreak
am here. it's all in the wiki now. unfortunately there's been problems with the wiki ofr so long that further editing and additions have totally stalled. am watching this thread and others ready for when wiki functionality returns...
hamildad
could you even cut and paste most of this to a google Docs page and then it can be downloaded but still edited?

these threads are really helpful, but its nice not to have to scroll through a number of different posts.
hamildad
Well, I ended up just doing that whilst watching the Fleetwood Mac doc on iplayer.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zISQVuNVmrE9N_phc6KMyI9sz12Of6_37y tt1VwS23I/edit

I hope this works and please remember that this is not my own work.

I just thought an easy guide would be good for us newbies. the Wiki should be the definitive guide to all things modular, but if you are away from your computer, you might want something to print out.

let me know if you cant view it, as I set the sharing to anyone with the link.
Brunstein
hamildad wrote:
Well, I ended up just doing that whilst watching the Fleetwood Mac doc on iplayer.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zISQVuNVmrE9N_phc6KMyI9sz12Of6_37y tt1VwS23I/edit

I hope this works and please remember that this is not my own work.

I just thought an easy guide would be good for us newbies. the Wiki should be the definitive guide to all things modular, but if you are away from your computer, you might want something to print out.

let me know if you cant view it, as I set the sharing to anyone with the link.
That's great, thank you! Works for me! smile
revoltcrews
great read. glad i found this. extremely helpful and insightful!
Multi Grooves
I need a sequencer to liven things up and am down to choosing between a Rene and Metropolis.

I was swaying towards former based on my (possibly flawed?) understanding that it has a bigger potential range, though at a greater cost when supplemented with extra modules that could take it closer to x0x programming style.

These bits have left me confused:

"What it can't do (or not that I'm aware of), is alter/control pitch over CV, which is one of the Metropolis innovations. You can shift the scale pre/post quantize."

"You aren't able to adjust gate length per step (though you can control the sequence step timing via clock obviously). It also doesn't have a slide option. "

"They're fundamentally different approaches. With Rene, it's capable of skipping through the voltages in a hugely varied manner, and paired with a powerful gate pattern sequencer you'd be able to get very "metropolisy" things from it."

"why not rene and stg graphic sequencer? you get the best of both worlds"

"There are a few options, for example the Intellijel uStep and DinSync.Info Amnesia are small and simple ones.
There is the STG Soundlabs Trigger Sequencer, or the Acidlab Robokop. These are all step based, for percussion.
The Acidlab Autobot is a tb-303-like sequencer, for pitch."
---------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------

I thought it'd be a good idea to learn more on sequencers and watched all of Raul's excellent Doepfer A155/A154 youtube tutorials, which posed no problem yet I'm still struggling to understand the above clearly. very frustrating

In terms of layouts/size and costs I like the look of the STG stuff which has been mentioned twice but:

surely they will not give the same operation and output? So what is the difference?
Exactly how are the potential 'add-on' modules combined with Rene? i.e. what gets plugged in where?
How would they interact?
If the Rene has knobs for each step what do they alter if not pitch or step length as commented?

Finally would/could a machine drum cover any sequence duties for the boxes mentioned here?
99centimos
Thanks for this post, all kinds of information and it persuaded me to invest in a VCA as soon as possible. hihi
consumed
the stickiest of the icky !
louisb
This is a great thread. Thanks!

Got a question about the warning regarding outputs to outputs.

I wanted to create a pattern using the A161 so I took 3 of the triggers into a passive multiple, then took that out to trigger an envelope.

This had the desired result but I did notice signal bouncing back from the multiple into the sequencer.

Is this likely to damage the module?
tuukka.j
An awesome thread! I wanted to ask one thing that in my head sounded like a newbie question, specifically:

What sort of signal is Clock Signal? I mean, if I have a sequencer that outputs clock, what would it look like on an oscilloscope?

Another question related to that, can I use gate signal as clock for a sequencer?
setupsetup
tuukka.j wrote:
An awesome thread! I wanted to ask one thing that in my head sounded like a newbie question, specifically:

What sort of signal is Clock Signal? I mean, if I have a sequencer that outputs clock, what would it look like on an oscilloscope?

Another question related to that, can I use gate signal as clock for a sequencer?

regarding your last question: yes. a clock signal can be every signal that as a clearly determined high and a clearly determined low state (e.g. a squarewave or a sawtooth-wave). usually a clock signal is a rythmic gate or trigger-signal. manye people feed their clock-dividers and sequencers with simple squarewave-lfos !

EDIT: usually putting any kind of gate signal into a sequencer clock-input makes the sequencer progress one step each time the input is set high = each time a trigger/ gate signal is put into it. so even non-rythmic signals should work !
ersatzplanet
I have something to add:

There are two types of Clock Dividers, I call them Musical and Mathematical.

A Mathematical divider waits X number of clock pulses before outputting the divided clock. In other words, the divide by four output will go high like this -one, two, three, FOUR, one, two, three, FOUR, one...
When you give them a reset, all outputs go LOW.

It looks like this:

A Musical divider goes high on the first clock (the downbeat) and waits X number of clocks before going high again. In other words, the divide by four output will go high like this - ONE, two, three, four], ONE, two, three, four, ONE...
When you give them a reset, all outputs go HIGH.
It looks like this:

Some dividers may have internal jumpers to choose the different modes.
Adminius
mattysal wrote:
... also would what clock divider module would you recommend?

One could do without a dedicated clock divider if you had the ALM Busy Circuits Pamela's Workout module, which has eight clocked outputs that can be set to (almost) any divisions/multiples of the basic clock rate (in Beats Per Minute or BPM). What I usually do is have the top row of (four) outputs all clocking at the basic BPM rate, with the bottom row of outputs set to various multipliers/divisors of this rate (typically 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32).

Seriously, at only 8HP the ALM PW represents a superb - possibly the best - clock module for syncing your modular system, with built-in divisors/multiplicands. Get one now, before they run out of 4-character LED displays and can't make 'em anymore.
f33d
I didn't found here any explanation on different cv types.
My embarrassing noob question is what a gate is exactly.
Here is my take on this:

*there are TRIGGERS: very, very short "high"(?) voltage signals for clock, strike, rhythm-type of things
*there are GATES: longer, high voltage signals - I suppose coming from the keyboard paradigm a GATE is "on" as long a key is pressed. Kind of an "ongoing activation signal". That's what I deducted seeing MI Yarns with 4 CV-notes & 4 Gates.
I didnt need gates yet, maybe because I dont know what it is.
*there are all other CVs of variable strength: they can be stepped and smooth.

older cats, please correct my assumptions.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next [all]
Page 4 of 12