MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

LZX Visionary Advanced Patches Sharing
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author LZX Visionary Advanced Patches Sharing
Matos
I'll take one please. Thanks! It's peanut butter jelly time!
johnnywoods
jjr wrote:
I've got a post request - creating video feedback in the lzx system without the use of a camera or multiple input sources.

not very specific, but take any patch which ends with the VBM, and take one of the absolute outputs somewhere back into the patch (to FM an oscillator, cv a key, as an a or b input on a fader/keyer, etc...)

it takes some fiddling about to get to the sweetspot, but there are tons of feedback possibilities.
jjr
It'd be rad to see some patches that really break out with colors that dont feel like RGB - but more strange colors combinations - thats one thing I have trouble getting is color combos that dont have distinct RGB pallet

Ghost Clap meh. razz Blacet Tombstone eyes... Coffee Addiction FTW
daverj
Feed the same signal to red & green and you get yellow, to red and blue to get magenta, and blue & green to get cyan. Adjust the level or bias of either one to get other related colors.

Feed the same signal into the third input, but attenuated, to get less saturated versions of those colors.
lizlarsen
Quote:
It'd be rad to see some patches that really break out with colors that dont feel like RGB - but more strange colors combinations - thats one thing I have trouble getting is color combos that dont have distinct RGB pallet

If your patches are feeling very RGB, it's probably because you are sending separate image sources directly to the encoder on the RGB inputs, rather than setting up an RGB matrix patch. This is the primary function of the Video Blending Matrix -- to be used as an "expander/output mixer" to the final color mix, as shown in this patch:

Typically I have a patch like the above set up and all signals are fed into it. Then any source input can be mixed to red, green and blue -- rather than just one of the three.

Don't forget to tweak the bias/gain knobs on the Color Video Encoder as well. I'm usually tweaking those all the time when setting up a patch or performing live.
lizlarsen
As for dealing with color in an entirely different way, our Video Colorspace Modulator design will open up a whole new colorspace: Hue, Saturation & Brightness (rather than Red, Green and Blue.) It's a very different way of working with and thinking about color mixing in the system. Of course, having access to RGB and HSB signal flows within the same patch is what will make this tool really powerful.
MrDys
Here's the basic patch for the morphing shape animation in this video:

I've been getting a hell of a lot of mileage out of this patch for the last week or two.

From left to right: You create a shape by mixing ramps in a polarized mixer which is fed into a frequency shifter. This gives scrolling movement to the static shape. The good thing about the freq shifter is that you get both an up and a down output that are equidistant apart in the frequency spectrum. So, the down output scrolls the image downward at the same rate that the up output is scrolling the image upward. These two outputs are fed into a dual VCA that is being controlled by a quadrature sine LFO. The phase-shifted LFO waveforms open one VCA as the other closes and vice versa, morphing between the two shapes. This VCA output is mixed again and fed into the CVE for output.

That's the basis of the motion portion of the video, the rest of the patch involves feeding that single output into a Doepfer A127 Triple Res filter and doing some color separation/filtering/softening effects and then running it into my low-rent camera switcher kaleidoscoper. I also had another modulator somewhere in the patch (actually, a guitar pedal. An Earthquaker Devices Rainbow Machine) which gave it some more movement during the more intense parts.
jjr
MrDys
this is a great patch
the frequency shifter - it is causing the image to scroll ?
lizlarsen
Really nice patch, MrDys!!! Awesome.
spaceship
The color mixer posted by Lars is awesome! I had used that previously (I think it's posted on the LZX website), but had forgotten about it.

Color is infinitely more fun now grin
giorgio
spaceship wrote:
The color mixer posted by Lars is awesome! I had used that previously (I think it's posted on the LZX website), but had forgotten about it.

now I'm curious what you were doing before??? smile I learned that setup before I had any video gear
spaceship
giorgio wrote:
spaceship wrote:

now I'm curious what you were doing before??? smile I learned that setup before I had any video gear

All kinds of things! It was one of the first patches I used too. My learning has been very hands on and experimental, however. I have been making a lot of patches go from vbm->tvkg->tvp.
lizlarsen
Quote:
vbm->tvkg->tvp

That's a totally valid workflow too.
When designing the system I imagined that there would be a few standard "workflow" patches that basically formed the signal/color mixing portion of your patch. You'd set those up as the second half of your patch, and the first half would be used to create shapes and mix oscillators.
VBM and TVFKG are meant to be "multi-function" modules in a very broad sense, so ideally you'd have multiples. Having TVP and Nick's Triple VCA alleviate that need to some extent, but in the beginning we wanted the initial 6 modules to cover a very wide territory -- so some of the initial more complex patches I envisioned for the system were designed to use multiple VBMs or TVFKGs.
giorgio
spaceship wrote:
giorgio wrote:
spaceship wrote:

All kinds of things! It was one of the first patches I used too. My learning has been very hands on and experimental, however. I have been making a lot of patches go from vbm->tvkg->tvp.

cool. just curious about other peoples patching habits.
MrDys
I still don't have a VBM. My colorization workflow of late has been to mix everything down to one channel (using plain old Doepfer & MFB mixers) and feed it into a Doepfer A127 and set the cutoffs to get some color separation and then do more extreme adjustments on the CVE.

It's been working for me.
giorgio
just imagine what will be possible if you do get one. this is why i like starting with less modules/gear/etc and the building it up slowly, you get to know great tricks with what you have, and when you add something, it can add to everything you've done up to that point.

MrDys wrote:
I still don't have a VBM. My colorization workflow of late has been to mix everything down to one channel (using plain old Doepfer & MFB mixers) and feed it into a Doepfer A127 and set the cutoffs to get some color separation and then do more extreme adjustments on the CVE.

It's been working for me.
johnnywoods
I had a lot of fun with this patch over the weekend. I don't really experiment enough with alternative sync sources for the VWGs, but I got the idea to use a boolean XOR combination of two oscillators as a sync source. I was amazed by how complex, and how stable, the result was. The basic patch is this:

The keyer is used to add additional modulation. PWM would also work, but I liked the results from the keyed triangle waves a little bit better. Various modulation sources were used to FM the VWGs and CV the keyers.

The output of the video below is all from a single sine wave, direct to the encoder. A similar effect can be achieved by using a keyer or VCA to combine the two oscillators driving the sync, but it's not nearly as stable over as large of a range.

Just another reason why logic rocks!

MrDys
If only that module were available...
johnnywoods
Although it's on the other side of being unavailable, if you can track down an intellijel Spock, that would probably work for most of this.

I'm also hoping this would encourage more fun experimentation with atypical sync sources. I'm on my phone now, but is the "stable diagonal" patch in this thread? It should be...
barto
nice! ive never played with the sync inputs, now i must
Matos
Oh man Johnny. That last patch was a doozy! Getting some amazing stuff from it patching the different logic functions out to modulate different things. Dead Banana
lizlarsen
Quote:
nice! ive never played with the sync inputs, now i must

Remember, on any sort of logic input in the LZX system, there is a high speed comparator with threshold pre-fixed at 50%. So basically a key generator. This means that you can patch in any signal you want (even video), not just sync and logic pulses.

If you want to add modulation to the threshold of the "invisible keyer", all you have to do is sum a modulation signal with the signal you're patching into the logic input in question.

Right now sync inputs on VWGs is where this comes into play, but with the upcoming logic modules, it's very useful. Triple Video Processor is an ideal interface to add a bit of modulation to a signal before it hits a logic input.
lizlarsen
Here's a fun patch that's quite beautiful. smile
2-band linear (soft) colorizer. The two TVPs are just being used to supply static RGB biases to the TVFKG inputs (so you could use anything that provides a static level control... like Voltage Interface 1, or Video Blending Matrix) instead.

More bands could be added by cascading TVFKG modules and applying adjustable gain and offset to the luma signal before it goes to each individual TVFKG.

lizlarsen
Another fun patch.
4-Input Linear Priority ("Alpha Channel / Layering") Mixer

Sometimes you want to intelligently place certain signals in front of or behind each other in a foreground/midground/background relationship. In this patch, the priority for the input signals is as follows:

Blue = Background (Layer 1)
Pink = Layer 2
Green = Layer 3
Red = Foreground (Layer 4)

To further expand this patch, you could substitute the CV inputs 1, 2, & 3 for "Alpha mattes" derived elsewhere. These correspond to layers 2, 3 & 4 priority respectively.

Or, in a much larger use-case... use three TVFKGs to do an RGB priority mixer!
RSB
Wow, if been looking at you guys from the sideline for a while now but every time im so impressed by those visuals. Especially that BW vector stuff was just freaking awesome. I used to do a lot of 3dsmax on music for school etc back in the day but this is just on another level. Would love to collaborate with some of you guys for my Youtube stuff. applause

youtube link
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 2 of 3