MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anyone use Renoise?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Anyone use Renoise?
korrupter
I've been getting into it, and find its a incredible tool for making beats on.

Im still learning more about it though! For the price I can't see anything wrong with it.
dkcg
I picked this up just a few weeks ago. Never used a tracker before, but I really like it for sequencing. Still haven't tried sequencing the hardware with it yet.

Seen this yet?

oootini
renoise is great.

be sure and check out the rather excellent lua tools:

http://tools.renoise.com/browse
joey
I fucked around with the demo the other night - it's really cool, though I have to learn to wrap my head around it (and how to combine it with logic).

seems like an incredibly powerful sequencing tool!
Norma
Renoise is great fun! Still got ALOT to learn about it but I think learning the basic commands and stuff is quite easy. I think that running Renoise as rewire slave to Ableton is a nice setup.
Matos
I love the concept but I've had it for years and rarely use it. It's super flexible, great for beat work, and has great support. But ableton just seems to be my default daw. I need to give it yet another try.
ignatius
i grabbed it when it was on sale over the summer. was half off or something..

anyway - it is pretty smartly designed and integrated with automation etc. clever as hell. i've still not adapted my brain to it though. i mess with it here and there and it's growing on me a bit but i get hooked on numerology and don't want to get unhooked smile

i created a handful of crazy parts for songs then exported them and put them together in live. worked pretty well.

i might try writing some booty bass type tracks with renoise to get used to working in it more. it is a great app for really disappearing into a laptop and being in a zone.
sleepy_sloth
Bringing this thread back from the dead...

Anyone using Renoise since 3.0 has been out? I just picked it up last week and it's been a blast.

The first music software I ever used was a tracker (Buzz) so I've got a soft spot for them. Working with an Octatrack recently has also reminded me about what I love about this kind of sequencing - the crazy detailed per-step parameter changes.

The interface is really nice and I love that you can stack multiple types of modulation in the sampler and get a visual of the modulations.
oootini
not a fan of the new interface I must say. I find it very cluttered.
C14ru5
Some degree of clutter is to be expected, if they want to attract people who still insist on using Fasttracker wink
baboo
Renoise is fantastic, I've been using it exclisively for some time now.

Don't be fooled by the "tracker" interface. For me it is the best tool out there to combine programmed parts and "live" parts into one music piece that doesn't necessarily have to be a 4/4 quantized and looped beat.

For example I've found it very hard in other DAWs to retain a sense of "swing" ( as in jazz swing) with multiple parts while in renoise it comes much more naturally.
When you wrap your head around how it works it really makes a lot of sense!
rjungemann
Version 3 is great, if you're used to using the fn keys to navigate around it's a quick transition. I can see why some people don't like it but I feel like it does make the workflow a bit more clear.

If you don't make tracker-oriented music, Renoise is still great for drums and FX if you rewire it to, say, Reaper for your vocal and guitar stuff.

I like that there's a good amount of metal being made in Renoise since they at first glance seem diametrically opposed. For example, Dawn of Neptune https://soundcloud.com/dawn-of-neptune/parallax-shift

I like to do 12lpb for 2 measures per pattern to switch between straight and swing and for introducing occasional rhythmic complexity. Despite a really mechanical interface there's a lot of room for interesting rhythm changes.
scriptstyle
+1 I am giving renoise a 2nd go and loving it with all the tools! The only thing it could really use for me is midi export.
rjungemann
There is a tool for MIDI export and it should work with version 3.0. Of course, not everything will export (notably tracker-style pitch slides). http://www.renoise.com/tools/midi-convert
scriptstyle
applause applause applause
ignatius
just announced an update via twitter this morning for bug fixes smile
carlosnyb
Renoise is fun! Been a while since I played with it. Great glitchy mangling fun.
schemawound
I've been with Renoise for about 6 years now and I really can't go back to a piano roll. Entering everything from the keyboard is so much faster once you get past the learning curve.

As for the 3.0 interface being cluttered everything is able to be hidden with buttons or hotkeys. It took a while to get adjusted to it but now I love it.

I really love the MaYbe command they added with 3.0 and hope they add some more "random" functionality.
an0no0m
I am an avid Renoise user and pusher wink I LOVE IT! Its quite the program as I have grown up with trackers through following the demo scene through BBSs back in the day. It takes classic tracker aspects and melds them together with VITAL top quality DAW features to stay top notch professional tool. Not only this but its SO community and hacker driven. This is what appeals to me..

screaming goo yo
reodjectz
Any one using renoise with silent way?
peripatitis
I find renoise brilliant for rhythmic stuff, much better than any drummachine out there..
However when recording polyphonic midi, its becomes mess...
Otherwise it has so many great features it is insane..
phasebash
reodjectz wrote:

I tried for a few years but gave up. The track routing made it difficult to tune the instaces. Maybe if you already have tuning files it will be easier. Note, you MUST set track headroom to 0db or youbwill only get 1 or so octave of range.

Oh and the worst. It is NOT possible to mix down in any way using non master outs, so any mixdown needs to be non realtime and to another DAW.
snaper
Since 2012 (as addition to Live).
The best feature for me is that it could open up old MOD XM IT modules, so I can steal those oldskool demoscene samples grin
ancientbones
I've been a renoise user for something like 8 years now? I started on like 1.8 or 1.9. Somewhere around then.

I haven't done much with it recently but I'm trying to get back in the groove of things. Trying to see if I can use it in a live sort of way. I know there's a few tools for ableton-style playback. Just need to find a good controller setup I suppose.

It's a wonderful program. There's a very micro way of thinking around it. You can control so many tiny details. I think there's room for improvement on the macro side of things. The pattern matrix was a big improvement but it's still getting there.
reodjectz
phasebash wrote:
reodjectz wrote:

I tried for a few years but gave up. The track routing made it difficult to tune the instaces. Maybe if you already have tuning files it will be easier. Note, you MUST set track headroom to 0db or youbwill only get 1 or so octave of range.

Oh and the worst. It is NOT possible to mix down in any way using non master outs, so any mixdown needs to be non realtime and to another DAW.

Bah. Oh well - I really don't use the computer much, but I like playing around with renoise more than other DAWs.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3