MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

You should really talk to Ken Macbeth!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author You should really talk to Ken Macbeth!
s o l v e n t
Here is something that baffles me, and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on it for me:

Over the course of talking to people about this "I Dream of Wires" documentary, there has been a constant stream of people suggesting who we should interview for it. And guess who has been requested the most, by a long shot? Ken Macbeth!

Why?!

Don't get me wrong - his stuff seems great (I even spent a couple of months with a borrowed M5 and got some great stuff out of) and we are more than happy to talk to him. In fact, we have confirmed that he will be @ NAMM 2012, and that we will in fact be interviewing him for the film.

But I just don't get why Ken Macbeth has been suggested so many times, more than anyone else, especially considering the fact that he has only recently started producing fully modular gear.

...?

Jason
bar|none
Well, is the movie forward looking or backward looking or both?
s o l v e n t
bar|none wrote:

both, but mostly forward ... and what has this to do with Ken Macbeth?
MN3005
s o l v e n t wrote:
considering the fact that he has only recently started producing fully modular gear.

...?

Jason

Ken has been doing modular synthesizers (or at least semi) for at least 5 years...but you interviewed Andrew Kilpatrick who has been only doing modulars for about 8 months.
tIB
Id imagine it's because he's something of a character. He'd bring charisma, enthusiasm and knowledge... seems like a likely candidate.
Ken MacBeth
....cripes!!

Well....I just read that! Has to be said- I've actually been doing Macbeth Studio Systems commercially for over ten years now! The M3X was the first one out in 2001.............and before that I was building the custom gear for folks!...........I'm pleased by this request though.........and looking forward to Winter NAMM'12! hihi
bar|none
s o l v e n t wrote:
bar|none wrote:

both, but mostly forward ... and what has this to do with Ken Macbeth?

You said he only recently started making true Modulars, but he is definitely one of the bright stars that are bringing new amazing poducts to market in the modular space.

That, and I don't think that semi-modulars should be considered lesser than a modulars anyhoo.
Ken MacBeth
d'oh! ....I get it! Pure Modulars!!
Johnisfaster
Could this just come down to synth nerds name dropping a slightly obscure name for cred? No offense to Ken at all, but the name is more obscure than Bob Moog or Don Buchla obviously. And you know those synth nerds, always trying to sound like they know a guy who knows a guy.
s o l v e n t
Dr. Synth Nerd wrote:
s o l v e n t wrote:
considering the fact that he has only recently started producing fully modular gear.

...?

Jason

Ken has been doing modular synthesizers (or at least semi) for at least 5 years...but you interviewed Andrew Kilpatrick who has been only doing modulars for about 8 months.

Just to clarify - I am not doubting Ken's relevance as an interview subject - we're thrilled that we've got him on board! I'm just baffled about the fact that his name comes up so much more than any other... he's been requested more times than Don Buchla, Trent Reznor, Serge Tcherepnin and Hans Zimmer combined... kinda crazy no?

Hi Ken!
s o l v e n t
I hope everyone knows that my original post is all in good fun, and no one thinks it is meant to be in any way against Ken Macbeth. As soon as I score my first gold record I will stuff my Eurorack cases with Macbeth VCOs & VCFs. I am genuinely curious about this phenomena though!
Johnisfaster
s o l v e n t wrote:
I hope everyone knows that my original post is all in good fun, and no one thinks it is meant to be in any way against Ken Macbeth.

Then why did you say "fuck that guy, he makes smelly poop modules." We all saw it.

You used to be cool Solvent...

Mr. Green
chinard
they still MAKE gold records?!?
s o l v e n t
Johnisfaster wrote:
You used to be cool Solvent...

Mr. Green

Well that was before I started getting gold records.
LoveBot
General enthusiasm, passion for circuits and components, aesthetic philosophy, and the stellar vintage tones that his modules produce... The way he talks about mylar and his groovy rockstar demos... A personality full of enthusiasm and joy for synths!
dogoftears
Make sure he talks about haggus.
bar|none
Well have you seen the new video? I've got Macbeth on the brain too.

essex sound lab
LoveBot wrote:
General enthusiasm, passion for circuits and components, aesthetic philosophy, and the stellar vintage tones that his modules produce... The way he talks about mylar and his groovy rockstar demos... A personality full of enthusiasm and joy for synths!

Bingo! This is what I wanted to express, but you came up with much better words than I had for it.
ignatius
he's passionate as hell. makes really awesome stuff. he's been making synths of one kind or another for a very long time. so, he'll have a long view on synths in general.

he seems like a really nice guy and would be fun to talk to.. i imagine.
polyroy
Yeah, Ken seems like a top bloke who's interesting to speak to and makes phenomenal pieces of gear. M5N is just we're not worthy
Peake
I say make him pay to be in your film.

(ducks, covers, scuttles away like Zoidberg) wink
Christopher Winkels
I've never had more than a couple of short Facebook exchanges with Ken, but he would get my personal recommendation for interviews if for no other reason than the man seems to be the Hardest Working Guy In Synths these days.

If you blink he's announced two new projects in that interval. And I'm hard pressed to find many people who say bad things about them.
attacksustain
Ken rocks some excellent karaoke skills too.
s o l v e n t
well as I said, Ken's already confirmed to be interviewed for the film... Not surprised in the least that people would want him covered, just find it strange that he's gotten so many more requests than legends and superstars like Don Buchla and Trent Reznor... I'm guessing that he's surprised by this fact too!
s o l v e n t
Peake wrote:
I say make him pay to be in your film.

(ducks, covers, scuttles away like Zoidberg) wink

Good idea - we accept both Haggis and Ale so I'm sure that we'll be able to reach some sort of an agreement
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> I Dream Of Wires Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3