MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

more options for B/W with the LZX
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author more options for B/W with the LZX
jjr
hello
so I'm really enjoying working with my LZX in B/W. As far as I can tell the only way to work in B/W is to only have one signal going into one of the RGB channel and panning all hard left . Is this correct?

So I have been thinking of ways to make that single line in more interesting.
Could I use something like the Blacet Scanner or sequential switch to have different LZX "image voltages" appear in B/W in one place over the sweep of a CV ? What is a euro rack module for this function?

Is there a function of one of the modules that I'm not grasping that would achieve this?

thanks
jjr
lizlarsen
Quote:
As far as I can tell the only way to work in B/W is to only have one signal going into one of the RGB channel and panning all hard left . Is this correct?

That is correct. Patch one signal to RGB simultaneously (by using the cascaded jacks, this just means patch to the Red input) and turn all knobs to the right (or left) depending on inversion. I love using this technique when setting up a patch -- I work in B&W (monochrome, really) to get all my basic shapes right, and then I start adding in color mixing if desired. We could create a video output module just for B&W video, it would be fairly straightforward, but no one's requested it yet. The only real advantage is that it would be cheaper than the CVE (and of course more limited.) Or it may be useful if you wanted to have several "preview monitor" drivers for visualizing images inside the patch on different external monitors.

The Video Logic module when it comes out will be fun for doing op-art style monochrome combinations, if you want to not just deal with B&W, but also flat shapes only.

You can definitely use the blacet scanner & sequential switch in your LZX patch! I know Johnny Woods has been using his Doepfer Seq Switch in his patches lately and likes it a lot. Don't be afraid of experimenting with running your video signals through your audio modules! It's how some of the best results can be obtained. Just be conscious of frequency and how/when it will effect what you are doing. There's a lot you can do just by sequencing which modulation sources are going to which destinations in a video patch. And using VBM or TVFKG to fade things back together (ie, like a wet/dry control over affected and unaffacted sources.) This tends to work very well.

If you want do like a scanning type thing, a few VCAs (or TVFKG used as VCAs) and one of these might be useful:
http://www.doepfer.de/a144.htm

There are also ways to do it with TVFKG, by chaining the crossfaders, if you have a way to add bias over an incoming envelope signal (remember the CV inputs on the TVFKG only respond to 0 to 1V, so if you offset the same envelope and sending it to different TVFKG channels, you can get the crossfaders responding separately to different "portions" of the envelope signal.)

Cheers,
Lars
jjr
thanks lars,
what the model number on this :
Johnny Woods has been using his Doepfer Seq Switch
lizlarsen
A-151:
http://www.doepfer.de/a151.htm

Here's a really rough sneak peek at the Sample & Hold and Switch modules I was mentioning. Key features of these are the "lock" inputs, which mean that the switching or triggering only occurs in line with a pulse at the "lock" inputs, immediately allowing you to quantize voltages to a sync clock. The triple switch can rotate the outputs with another pulse, or at least that's the basic idea. These concepts are just sketches I had lying around, and may change quite a bit before going into production.

johnnywoods
re: the A-151... I've been using it as a complement to ramps in particular. Like most audio modules, it starts to have problems passing video frequencies above 15kHz or so. I doubt you could run full bandwidth video through it (although I have yet to try). Some audio modules have problems with even the faster ramps, but. The a-151 has been rock solid. It's a great way to animate between different shapes. You can also key or sum them together before the switch.
The 4ms VCA matrix works beautifully with ramps as well.
I think the Toppobrillo multiplexer (when it comes out) will be a real winner for this sort of patch since it will be able to morph in between shapes instead of just switching. I have a feeling the Wiard JAG might perform nicely here too.

But yeah, don't be afraid of using audio modules! The patch I played out with last night relied heavily on the a151, a Moddemix, sport modulator (as modulation oscillator, generating scrolling horizontals) and a Bleep Labs PAL198x!
smrl
Yeah, one module I've been casually working on and would like to see is a module that takes a bunch of 0-1v signal, scales them and adds sync, possibly buffering the input to a thru.

Nice thing about video is unlike audio you can have multiple views available at all times. I'd like to have a few monochrome monitors set up so i can view signals in various spots as i'm patching them.

Also useful: I found a 1u rack of 7 tiny oscilloscopes. power supply is bunk, unfortunately, but that would be a really nice tool for visualization.

SO yeah. That's a +1 for B&W output module!
lizlarsen
Hey smrl, cool ! Yeah, if nothing else I bet I could publish some DIY schematics for something like that. Given the context you're suggesting, I'm guessing that controls (brightness/contrast) over the input signal are not necessary? just a lot of inputs and then 75R terminated B&W video outputs? It'd be fun to pair a lot of these circuits up with some tiny LCD monitors modified to sit behind custom eurorack panels (most run off of 12V! but probably a lot of current.)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1