MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Too many noise/ random modules. Need help choosing!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Too many noise/ random modules. Need help choosing!
Illiac
Sorry to start yet another "recommendation" thread, but I'm having a really hard time choosing a noise/ random module. I've read everything there is here on the subject, but was hoping for some help given my specific needs.

Here's what I'll have. This will be my only system (for a while) so I'm trying to make it count. It will be part of a performance rig and controlled by my mpc, my bass and a moog re-201 cv pedal:

It's between the zorlon cannon, the doepfer 118 noise (and 148 s+h) or the upcoming Malekko noisering (I know I shouldn't bank on unreleased modules). What I'm really in love with is the noisering's ability to do shortwave radio sounds like in Grant's demo:
http://www.wiard.com/1200/NR/SHORTWAVE.mp3
Is there another combination of modules that can do convincing SW sounds? Also, does the Wogglebug act as a noise source?

sigh, sorry for the long winded-ness. Thanks in advance! SlayerBadger!
sandyb
the tyme sefari and expander can do pretty good "radio" sounds imo.
Illiac
yeah, I could see that. Say, you can't by chance control the sample pitch w/ 1v per octave can you?
sandyb
i don't think so. you've got cv control over the sampling frequency but not pitch.
REwire
I like the A-118 for Noise and Random. It has two kinds of noise out, which the colored one can be controlled. The Random output has both speed and level control which makes it handy.

The Cwejman NS-4 also has different noise and a better S&H random out that can sort of be clocked but not so great at that.
MrDys
Don't discount the Doepfer A149. Clock it with an oscillator and feed it some fucked up CVs, and you're golden.
NV
I have no idea what Malekko is planning for the NoiseRing, but in the meantime you really can't go wrong with the Doepfer A-118. White noise, adjustable colored noise, and a random output with adjustable rate and level, all for $90 or even less on the used market. One of the major appeals of the A-118 in your case would be should you decide at a later date that you would like the Zorlon or NoiseRing, you can sell the A-118 in a heartbeat for pretty much the same amount you bought it for new. However, I wouldn't really say that the Zorlon would replace the A-118 - while similar in some regards, I think they are very different beasts.
governor blacksnake
Illiac wrote:
Sorry to start yet another "recommendation" thread, but I'm having a really hard time choosing a noise/ random module. I've read everything there is here on the subject, but was hoping for some help given my specific needs.

Here's what I'll have. This will be my only system (for a while) so I'm trying to make it count. It will be part of a performance rig and controlled by my mpc, my bass and a moog re-201 cv pedal:

It's between the zorlon cannon, the doepfer 118 noise (and 148 s+h) or the upcoming Malekko noisering (I know I shouldn't bank on unreleased modules). What I'm really in love with is the noisering's ability to do shortwave radio sounds like in Grant's demo:
http://www.wiard.com/1200/NR/SHORTWAVE.mp3
Is there another combination of modules that can do convincing SW sounds? Also, does the Wogglebug act as a noise source?

sigh, sorry for the long winded-ness. Thanks in advance! SlayerBadger!

The Cwejman D-LFO has a few nice random waveform settings and an AM output... the only bad thing about it's the lack of LEDs.

You can pull off those shortwave sounds perfectly by running some waveform into your Malgorithm, cranking the sampling rate down, and turning the waveshaper to one of the crazier modes (down down up, up down down, or up up up) while playing with the osc frequency and the sampling rate.

Zorlon Cannon and Noise Ring are an amazing pair together, I suggest getting your hands on both once they are available and your studio permits.
fluxmonkey
Illiac wrote:

my standard SW patch is a pair of cross-modulated oscillators (signal out of osc. A into FM of B; signal out of B into FM of A), both tuned towards the top end of their range... add a slight manual or CV "wobbling" of either oscillator and you're there; patch each osc to your ringmod for yet more chaos.

i do this, or a variation on it, WAY too much.

b
dkcg
governor blacksnake wrote:

The Cwejman D-LFO has a few nice random waveform settings and an AM output... the only bad thing about it's the lack of LEDs.

I love the Zorlon for digital noise! Even better with the Evin to mix those 4 noise channels 4 different ways. smile

One utility module that would be sweet is just a simple mult with some bipolar LEDs for modules w/o em. One that's an odd 5 or 7 hp by harvestman would be sweet! Mr. Green
wetterberg
too much "random" stuff out there.... I'd go with the 118 and the sample-and-hold for that very reason;

sample and hold can be used for a lot of non-noise things, and a good noise source will also let you do some great percussion sounds.
makenoise
For shortwave sounds you've everything you need ALREADY! In the modDemod manual I talk about different techniques that will achieve these types of sounds, notably "interference."
If you take recorded or live speech, modulate it and then demodulate while introducing Interference, Filtering and Amplitude variation you will achieve some really great "buried transmissions." To do this all you need is the modDemod, mixer, filter and of course the VCOs used for modulating and demodulating. QMMG takes care of filtering and mixing. Varying the strength/ amplitude of the modulated signal versus the interference signal (corrupts transmission) as well as LP filtering of the modulated signal (deteriorates transmission). It helps to have some random voltage generator to shake things up a bit, but you can also do this manually.
This short composition was done using these techniques. It employs modDemod, early QMMG proto, Wogglebug and 2 A-110. All of the recorded sound comes from the bottom output of the modDemod. Regarding the sample, I was having a nostalgic moment R2D2
makenoise
The Wogglebug does some great short wave sounds as well, when used with a couple of VCO.

Soy Sos
I've got fluxmonkey's patch squeeking away on my 2600 now.
It sounds cool as hell. I can post a sample later if you like.
Also don't overlook your Malgorithm! Feed it a fixed, very high pitched
sine or triangle wave, and play with the sample rate on the Malgorithm.
Modulate with various sources until something interesting happens.
And yeah, get the 118. With all the cool modules you've got there
you'll be able to get a ton of amazing sounds from your setup.
makenoise
Soy Sos wrote:

Also don't overlook your Malgorithm! Feed it a fixed, very high pitched
sine or triangle wave, and play with the sample rate on the Malgorithm.
Modulate with various sources until something interesting happens.

Yes, this is a great patch. The aliasing that occurs after about 1k is a great noise. It is tunable too, by varying the source frequency or the sample rate on the malgo. This, when used to FM another VCO will get sick shortwave sound fx.

Tony
Soy Sos
This is only 4 modules if you count the simple attenuator:
1. Doepfer A-143-1 complex EG/LFO
2. Doepfer A-189-1 Bit Cruncher
3. Harvestman Polivoks VCF
4. Attenuator

Some short wavey stuff within. The Malgorithm will do some of the same
stuff as the 189-1. The Polivoks is being used as an oscillator.
You might want to throw in some LFO's in your system. Maybe the
MFB dual LFO?

http://share.ovi.com/media/SoySos.public/SoySos.10063
http://share.ovi.com/media/SoySos.public/SoySos.10064
Illiac
Thank you all very much for your suggestions!

Looks like I'm gonna go old school and grab an A-118 and s+h.

Special thanks for all who provided SW patches and examples. I now have a much better idea how to go about getting this sound. I was considering hacking a SW kit into a module but think I'll hold off now. The sounds you all showed me are too good!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1