Euro dual Teezer?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

frijitz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Signs of Life

Post by frijitz » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:14 pm

I've just heard from Scott that he has a batch of dual Euro Teezers assembled and another getting close. The price is not exactly fixed, but I'm pretty sure it is going to be competitive.

Ian

petejm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by petejm » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:41 pm

Huh, a little over a week ago this wasn't happening & now one batch has been assembled & another almost ready??? Am I missing something here?

I'm not complaining, just confused! :hmm:

softpieces
Learning to Wiggle

Post by softpieces » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:17 pm

Very interested in this.

mojopin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mojopin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:52 pm

oh shit... dual teezers...rubicon... and zeroscillators in stock at AH

let's just hope it isn't five inches deep!

ringstone
antipodean experimentalist

Post by ringstone » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:55 pm

Wow, competition's hotting up... :party:

Cheers
Blair

HeWhoWantsJeans
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Signs of Life

Post by HeWhoWantsJeans » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:36 pm

frijitz wrote:I've just heard from Scott that he has a batch of dual Euro Teezers assembled and another getting close. The price is not exactly fixed, but I'm pretty sure it is going to be competitive.

Ian
Goddamn, you had me worried, Ian. Because I do want to check out one of Scott's Dual-Tezzers. I'll have to bug him to bring one to a 'Wiggler meet here in town.

Thanks for the heads up. :tu:
I've archived over 400 answering machines, and the best of which is constantly updated on Tumblr. Public domain! Enjoy! Donate, too!
http://answerphone.tumblr.com/
http://www.answer-phone.org

contrasttx
Common Wiggler

Post by contrasttx » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:43 pm

There's a preorder page up now. $650, so a decent discount compared to two Rubicons. Not skiffable, 4.1in deep.

http://www.bridechamber.com/Euro_Teezer.html

petejm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by petejm » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:37 am

contrasttx wrote:There's a preorder page up now. $650, so a decent discount compared to two Rubicons. Not skiffable, 4.1in deep.

http://www.bridechamber.com/Euro_Teezer.html
Awesome, thanks for the heads up. Looks big, anyone have a guess at the HP?

KNYST
hiding in the forest

Post by KNYST » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:59 am

my guess would be 26-28hp
NOISE HEALS.
patch responsibly.
LISTEN | WATCH

Juxwl
Come for our...uhhh...corn?

Post by Juxwl » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:27 pm

What's everyone think of the panel design?

:confused:
Last edited by Juxwl on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mOBiTh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mOBiTh » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:40 pm

are the euro pcbs gonna be available to buy do we know?

HeWhoWantsJeans
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by HeWhoWantsJeans » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:53 pm

Juxwl wrote:What's everyone think of the panel design?

:confused:
I think it's certainly effective - given how I believe the boards had to be mounted. Not flashy - sure, but effective.
I've archived over 400 answering machines, and the best of which is constantly updated on Tumblr. Public domain! Enjoy! Donate, too!

Joe.
Wired for sound

Post by Joe. » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:07 am

I don't understand the appeal :despair:

It looks like two teezers, built and placed under the same front panel... why not just build two single units? why not make use of the wasted space that is the giant strip through the middle, and replace the unneeded writing for some features that justify two teezers in the same unit?

A ring mod?
A mixer?
Anything?

Don't get me wrong, two is better than one... but is there same feature that's not evident from the pics that I'm missing, that justifies a single dual panel, instead of two single panels?

HeWhoWantsJeans
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by HeWhoWantsJeans » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:22 am

LoFi Junglist wrote:I don't understand the appeal :despair:

It looks like two teezers, built and placed under the same front panel... why not just build two single units? why not make use of the wasted space that is the giant strip through the middle, and replace the unneeded writing for some features that justify two teezers in the same unit?

A ring mod?
A mixer?
Anything?

Don't get me wrong, two is better than one... but is there same feature that's not evident from the pics that I'm missing, that justifies a single dual panel, instead of two single panels?
I'm going to guess that the PCB is so wide that standing it upright (to do a single-Tezzer) wasn't feasible. So with the current design, the only option was to mount the PCB width-wise and perpendicular to the panel. That said - the only way to reasonably consume that much HP would be to do a dual unit (at that point).

Joe.
Wired for sound

Post by Joe. » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:33 am

HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:
I'm going to guess that the PCB is so wide that standing it upright (to do a single-Tezzer) wasn't feasible. So with the current design, the only option was to mount the PCB width-wise and perpendicular to the panel. That said - the only way to reasonably consume that much HP would be to do a dual unit (at that point).
ah kk, thanks for clearing that up.

I think it would be great if the panel had some features like summed outputs and perhaps normalized inputs for the LIN & Exp FM between osc 1 and 2, with knobs for offset or polarity (so a modulation source could be applied to osc 1, and slightly offset or inverted then sent to osc 2 if nothing else is plugged in). There seems to be plenty of room on the panel which could be utilized still.

Drumdrumdrumdrum
What she said

Post by Drumdrumdrumdrum » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:38 am

I thought, from the bell demo, that it has got a ringmods? By the look of the front panel it seems not. Why not? :despair:
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
- Author, Albert Schweitzer.

"Modular synths can take your ego out of the equation which, in music, is a blessing" - Jeremy Greenspan

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/glennkingsleymortimer

ringstone

Post by ringstone » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:17 am

HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:I'm going to guess that the PCB is so wide that standing it upright (to do a single-Tezzer) wasn't feasible. So with the current design, the only option was to mount the PCB width-wise and perpendicular to the panel. That said - the only way to reasonably consume that much HP would be to do a dual unit (at that point).
Yes, I'm assuming (though I may be wrong) that these are using the same PCB as the 5U. Since there's now some commercial imperative to get these on the market it was probably quicker to produce a dual unit with those PCBs rather than design, lay out and debug a specific Euro PCB. Once again, just conjecture, and not in any way intended to be a criticism - I have some very fine dual/multi Euro modules that use CGS boards and panels from Clarke for example.
Drumdrumdrumdrum wrote:I thought, from the bell demo, that it has got a ringmods? By the look of the front panel it seems not. Why not? :despair:
I believe that the bells demo was intended to demonstrate that Thru-Zero is capable of producing very realistic sounds of this type simply using FM.

Cheers
Blair

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:44 am

Those are some FM bells, yo. And speaking of that... as an FM-oriented oscillator, a dual module makes a lot of sense. May well have to do with the PCB size too, although the originals were too tall to clear the rails in anything other than a 'shelf' configuration which is really hacky IMO. I'd hope they were trimmed down for parallel mounting.

softpieces
Learning to Wiggle

Post by softpieces » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:47 am

This looks great. Like others have said, a mix bus for internal routing (with manual and cv control of the routed wave's amplitude) would take this to the next level.

Drumdrumdrumdrum
What she said

Post by Drumdrumdrumdrum » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:17 am

OK. :wow:
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
- Author, Albert Schweitzer.

"Modular synths can take your ego out of the equation which, in music, is a blessing" - Jeremy Greenspan

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/glennkingsleymortimer

ringstone

Post by ringstone » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:32 am

negativspace wrote:May well have to do with the PCB size too, although the originals were too tall to clear the rails in anything other than a 'shelf' configuration
Appears this might be the case, the Bridechamber website warns these are not skiff-friendly at 4.1". Which I do believe looks very close to the width of the 5U PCB. The pots on this panel don't quite match the PCB-mounted pots on those PCBs though, so it could still be a different PCB.

Cheers
Blair

sonicwarrior
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sonicwarrior » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:11 am

So: Are the dual units somehow linked together?

And: Is the missing pulse output relevant or not? :despair:
Soundcloud
For sale: Jürgen Haible Tau Phaser (MOTM format)

thermionicjunky
Thyratron Genius

Post by thermionicjunky » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:23 am

sonicwarrior wrote:So: Are the dual units somehow linked together?

And: Is the missing pulse output relevant or not?
I doubt that they're linked. It's intended for dynamic FM, but without forcing the user to use a particular VCA for depth.

There are no pulse outputs in the design. That can be done very easily with external comparators. I'm going to build a 5-pulser to go with mine.

sonicwarrior
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sonicwarrior » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:58 am

thermionicjunky wrote:It's intended for dynamic FM, but without forcing the user to use a particular VCA for depth.
It has mini jacks, so normalizations are possible. Normalizations can be broken so no forcing the user to whatsoever. Just allowing the two units to interact without patchcords like many other units do.
Soundcloud
For sale: Jürgen Haible Tau Phaser (MOTM format)

noise brigade
Common Wiggler

Post by noise brigade » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:12 am

Shame it dont have lfo mode

Return to “Eurorack Modules”