MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Euro dual Teezer?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Euro dual Teezer?
petejm
Any news on this? I've emailed Bridechamber but no reply... not sure I'm using the right address.

Cheers!
thumbs up
analogPedagog
Yea Scott is a busy guy, he'll probably get back to you soon. I'm waiting for the dual teezer too but I bet it's gonna be a while yet:(
vav
I need one of these.
petejm
Okay, no worries, looking forward to this one!
headcleaner
not heard of this before!! - hyped for it though, i mean who can afford a zero right? i was gonna buy a motm kit and shove it inside my case to make it go euro but an actual euro kit would be wwwaaaaayyyy better.......

an 2 in one unit....awesome.

bring the bells!!
numan7
thumbs up awesome, awesome!!

any pictures?

cheers,
7n7
petejm
I don't think so, just MOTM panel design (and sound samples!!) at bridechamber.com...

http://www.bridechamber.com/F_Teezer.html
analogPedagog
Yea, def gonna be good. No wave morph like the zero but two through zero osc aint bad a tall.
Meat Parade
Whats the price range for this? Is it safe to say this would be a good alternative to get thru zero in your case without spending 1300$ on a Cyndustries Zeroscillator?
Nuuj
Isn't Elby or someone else working on a dual Teezer Euro module?
frijitz
Nuuj wrote:

Not that I know of. Certainly not Laurie.

grin

Ian
petejm
News from Scott...

"Metal ordered, PCBs coming, need to test once they're here... December!"

thumbs up
RealDudes
Nuuj wrote:

doepfer is working on a thru zero osc, not a teezer but maybe this is what youre thinking of
Veqtor
Considering the fact that there has been no news on the doepfer thru zero osc for ages... I think it's safe to say that it has entered some kind of limbo doepfer vaporware dimension.

Really looking forward to the bridechamber dual teezer!
apfEID
is there any more info about the dual teezer other than coming in 2011?
petejm
Has anyone any news on this one, is it still happening?

Thanks
frijitz
petejm wrote:

I've just been informed by Scott that he has decided not to do it after all.

Ian
dansna
damn. that's a shame cry
vav
Makes sense, since the Rubicon has been announced.
petejm
frijitz wrote:
petejm wrote:

I've just been informed by Scott that he has decided not to do it after all.

Ian

Ah okay, thanks Ian, that's a real shame.
John Noble
Whoah, so 50(? IIRC, there was a picture of a pile of them) nearly completed modules are getting scrapped?
Mitchk1989
waah

I was hoping to pair a dual teezer WITH the rubicon
asterisk
damn, thats a bummer.
maybe you can find another actual Euro producer to do it?
tony d
Yeah, that is a bummer, i was really looking forward to building this.
fluxmonkey
foo
frijitz
I've just heard from Scott that he has a batch of dual Euro Teezers assembled and another getting close. The price is not exactly fixed, but I'm pretty sure it is going to be competitive.

Ian
petejm
Huh, a little over a week ago this wasn't happening & now one batch has been assembled & another almost ready??? Am I missing something here?

I'm not complaining, just confused! hmmm.....
softpieces
Very interested in this.
mojopin
oh shit... dual teezers...rubicon... and zeroscillators in stock at AH

let's just hope it isn't five inches deep!
ringstone
Wow, competition's hotting up... w00t

Cheers
Blair
HeWhoWantsJeans
frijitz wrote:
I've just heard from Scott that he has a batch of dual Euro Teezers assembled and another getting close. The price is not exactly fixed, but I'm pretty sure it is going to be competitive.

Ian

Goddamn, you had me worried, Ian. Because I do want to check out one of Scott's Dual-Tezzers. I'll have to bug him to bring one to a 'Wiggler meet here in town.

Thanks for the heads up. thumbs up
contrasttx
There's a preorder page up now. $650, so a decent discount compared to two Rubicons. Not skiffable, 4.1in deep.

http://www.bridechamber.com/Euro_Teezer.html
petejm
contrasttx wrote:
There's a preorder page up now. $650, so a decent discount compared to two Rubicons. Not skiffable, 4.1in deep.

http://www.bridechamber.com/Euro_Teezer.html

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. Looks big, anyone have a guess at the HP?
KNYST
my guess would be 26-28hp
Juxwl
What's everyone think of the panel design?

confused
mOBiTh
are the euro pcbs gonna be available to buy do we know?
HeWhoWantsJeans
Juxwl wrote:
What's everyone think of the panel design?

confused

I think it's certainly effective - given how I believe the boards had to be mounted. Not flashy - sure, but effective.
Joe.
I don't understand the appeal seriously, i just don't get it

It looks like two teezers, built and placed under the same front panel... why not just build two single units? why not make use of the wasted space that is the giant strip through the middle, and replace the unneeded writing for some features that justify two teezers in the same unit?

A ring mod?
A mixer?
Anything?

Don't get me wrong, two is better than one... but is there same feature that's not evident from the pics that I'm missing, that justifies a single dual panel, instead of two single panels?
HeWhoWantsJeans
LoFi Junglist wrote:
I don't understand the appeal seriously, i just don't get it

It looks like two teezers, built and placed under the same front panel... why not just build two single units? why not make use of the wasted space that is the giant strip through the middle, and replace the unneeded writing for some features that justify two teezers in the same unit?

A ring mod?
A mixer?
Anything?

Don't get me wrong, two is better than one... but is there same feature that's not evident from the pics that I'm missing, that justifies a single dual panel, instead of two single panels?

I'm going to guess that the PCB is so wide that standing it upright (to do a single-Tezzer) wasn't feasible. So with the current design, the only option was to mount the PCB width-wise and perpendicular to the panel. That said - the only way to reasonably consume that much HP would be to do a dual unit (at that point).
Joe.
HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:

I'm going to guess that the PCB is so wide that standing it upright (to do a single-Tezzer) wasn't feasible. So with the current design, the only option was to mount the PCB width-wise and perpendicular to the panel. That said - the only way to reasonably consume that much HP would be to do a dual unit (at that point).

ah kk, thanks for clearing that up.

I think it would be great if the panel had some features like summed outputs and perhaps normalized inputs for the LIN & Exp FM between osc 1 and 2, with knobs for offset or polarity (so a modulation source could be applied to osc 1, and slightly offset or inverted then sent to osc 2 if nothing else is plugged in). There seems to be plenty of room on the panel which could be utilized still.
Drumdrumdrumdrum
I thought, from the bell demo, that it has got a ringmods? By the look of the front panel it seems not. Why not? seriously, i just don't get it
ringstone
HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:

Yes, I'm assuming (though I may be wrong) that these are using the same PCB as the 5U. Since there's now some commercial imperative to get these on the market it was probably quicker to produce a dual unit with those PCBs rather than design, lay out and debug a specific Euro PCB. Once again, just conjecture, and not in any way intended to be a criticism - I have some very fine dual/multi Euro modules that use CGS boards and panels from Clarke for example.

Drumdrumdrumdrum wrote:
I thought, from the bell demo, that it has got a ringmods? By the look of the front panel it seems not. Why not? seriously, i just don't get it

I believe that the bells demo was intended to demonstrate that Thru-Zero is capable of producing very realistic sounds of this type simply using FM.

Cheers
Blair
negativspace
Those are some FM bells, yo. And speaking of that... as an FM-oriented oscillator, a dual module makes a lot of sense. May well have to do with the PCB size too, although the originals were too tall to clear the rails in anything other than a 'shelf' configuration which is really hacky IMO. I'd hope they were trimmed down for parallel mounting.
softpieces
This looks great. Like others have said, a mix bus for internal routing (with manual and cv control of the routed wave's amplitude) would take this to the next level.
Drumdrumdrumdrum
OK. Wow!
ringstone
negativspace wrote:
May well have to do with the PCB size too, although the originals were too tall to clear the rails in anything other than a 'shelf' configuration

Appears this might be the case, the Bridechamber website warns these are not skiff-friendly at 4.1". Which I do believe looks very close to the width of the 5U PCB. The pots on this panel don't quite match the PCB-mounted pots on those PCBs though, so it could still be a different PCB.

Cheers
Blair
sonicwarrior
So: Are the dual units somehow linked together?

And: Is the missing pulse output relevant or not? seriously, i just don't get it
thermionicjunky
sonicwarrior wrote:
So: Are the dual units somehow linked together?

And: Is the missing pulse output relevant or not?

I doubt that they're linked. It's intended for dynamic FM, but without forcing the user to use a particular VCA for depth.

There are no pulse outputs in the design. That can be done very easily with external comparators. I'm going to build a 5-pulser to go with mine.
sonicwarrior
thermionicjunky wrote:
It's intended for dynamic FM, but without forcing the user to use a particular VCA for depth.

It has mini jacks, so normalizations are possible. Normalizations can be broken so no forcing the user to whatsoever. Just allowing the two units to interact without patchcords like many other units do.
noise brigade
Shame it dont have lfo mode
thermionicjunky
noise brigade wrote:

The range goes from less than 0.01 Hz to over 30kHz.
noise brigade
thermionicjunky wrote:
noise brigade wrote:

The range goes from less than 0.01 Hz to over 30kHz.

I take that back
limpmeat
So what size are the PCBs for sale on bridechamber?

One of my cabinets is deep, so I can do it.
sonicwarrior
The regular non Eurorack PCB is 143 mm x 115 mm. At least that's what I measured on mine. You can mount the pots on the PCB which means the depth can be ca. 115 mm.
It's not as long as a standard Ken Stone PCB.
mOBiTh
sonicwarrior wrote:
The regular non Eurorack PCB is 143 mm x 115 mm. At least that's what I measured on mine. You can mount the pots on the PCB which means the depth can be ca. 115 mm.
It's not as long as a standard Ken Stone PCB.

might make a single one and see what happens

tricky to calibrate apparently
frozenkore
ringstone wrote:
negativspace wrote:
May well have to do with the PCB size too, although the originals were too tall to clear the rails in anything other than a 'shelf' configuration

Appears this might be the case, the Bridechamber website warns these are not skiff-friendly at 4.1". Which I do believe looks very close to the width of the 5U PCB. The pots on this panel don't quite match the PCB-mounted pots on those PCBs though, so it could still be a different PCB.

Cheers
Blair

It looks like there are 2x 4.1" boards, however, if they sell the boards separately, which I'm really hoping they do, you could parallel mount them to the panel. If you pack it right, you should be able to get it within 2"? I'm just kind of guessing with my fingers. I don't know off hand how deep a skiff is, but you might be able to pull that off. hmmm.....

Oh, and if you can, 4.1" is 20.5hp so you can easily get it behind a 24hp panel which gives you breathing room on the sides. This is just what I've speculated from Scott's site (which doesn't give a lot more detail...).

*Edit: Okay, so it looks like the reason why there are two boards is the module is a dual d'oh!. So you should be able to make a skiff friendly version of this, but it will take some wiring.
sonicwarrior
mOBiTh wrote:

What? Why?

My MOTM format Teezer is almost finished. I hope I don't get into calibration madness after the wiring madness. eek!
mOBiTh
frozenkore wrote:

It looks like there are 2x 4.1" boards, however, if they sell the boards separately, which I'm really hoping they do, you could parallel mount them to the panel. If you pack it right, you should be able to get it within 2"? I'm just kind of guessing with my fingers. I don't know off hand how deep a skiff is, but you might be able to pull that off. hmmm.....

Oh, and if you can, 4.1" is 20.5hp so you can easily get it behind a 24hp panel which gives you breathing room on the sides. This is just what I've speculated from Scott's site (which doesn't give a lot more detail...).

*Edit: Okay, so it looks like the reason why there are two boards is the module is a dual d'oh!. So you should be able to make a skiff friendly version of this, but it will take some wiring.

Hmmn not sure, here's the pcbs that are currently being sold:

http://bridechamber.com/Teezer_PCB.html

Board Size 4.625” x 5.75” which is just for one oscillator.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
sonicwarrior wrote:
mOBiTh wrote:

What? Why?

My MOTM format Teezer is almost finished. I hope I don't get into calibration madness after the wiring madness. eek!

I can't speak to the Teezer per se, but the Rubicon definitely has a few extra things to adjust for TZFM over and above a typical VCO, so I wouldn't be surprised.
mOBiTh
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
sonicwarrior wrote:
mOBiTh wrote:

What? Why?

I can't speak to the Teezer per se, but the Rubicon definitely has a few extra things to adjust for TZFM over and above a typical VCO, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Teezer has 7 or 8 trimpots per oscillator which suggests it will require either some decent instructions or a good understanding of the circuit to pull off well!
Juxwl
mOBiTh wrote:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
sonicwarrior wrote:
mOBiTh wrote:

What? Why?

Teezer has 7 or 8 trimpots per oscillator which suggests it will require either some decent instructions or a good understanding of the circuit to pull off well!

When I asked Scott about diy options, this is what he said:

"Euro Teezer -- first one is done, testing and trimming. Could do a kit, but it's a big fella and the docs aren't very supportive. If you're interested I can do one. (EDITED out pricing that he hasn't revealed yet) -- everything is flying wires!!!!!!"

So it sounds like a tricky build.
sonicwarrior
mOBiTh wrote:
Board Size 4.625” x 5.75” which is just for one oscillator.

That's more or less what I measured. Just not in the metric system.

mOBiTh wrote:

I'm counting 6 on my already stuffed PCB. There is an optional trimmer that I didn't stuff.

Juxwl wrote:
it's a big fella and the docs aren't very supportive.

I can't second that. It's not thaaat big and the docs have been OK so far. There is stuff far worse out there.
Norman_Phay
Yeah I concur, I'm about 3/4 thru stuffing my teezer PCB and it's not that big a stuffing job, at least compared to most of the JH boards I've assembled and the docs are fine! Everything you need is in there.
frijitz
Just a couple of quick notes on the dual Euro Teezer.

The board is a chopped down version of the original, with board-mounted controls removed, a Euro PS connector added and an additional waveshape trimmer added. The boards are mounted back-to-back perpendicular to the panel to allow access to both sets of trimmers.

All but one of the setup adjustments for the Teezer are easy. They are as follows:
Tuning -- 1V/Oct and HF tracking (standard).
Sine wave -- Offset and shape (standard).
Tri wave -- Offset (standard).
Saw/Tri symmetry -- Two adjustments, easily made while observing the Tri.
Threshold -- Tweaks the core to equalize the up and down ramps. Addresses a minor issue with the core syncing to the modulation source under special conditions. Optional, as the issue is almost never problematic.

Our intent is to mainly sell this as a completed module. A limited number of kits may be made available. Please contact Scott directly if you are a current customer and interested in this option.

Ian
synthcube
Nothing like digging up an old thread to announce something newly available smile

After synthCube acquired Bridechamber, it took some time for all of the original bridechamber stock to make its way into our shop. We recently uncovered a box and to our surprise we found the original run of these ian fritz dual teezer VCO PCBs, panels and custom mounting brackets. Only 25 sets were made.

They are available now, on a limited run basis. Feel free to use this thread for comments, questions, build examples, troubleshooting etc. The kits are available in beta format- while we have a couple kits out to trusted builders for verification and fine tuning, the kits as offered are based on the original Ian Fritz and Bridechamber documentation.

ian fritz dual teezer vco euro LIMITED RUN

sduck
Do these boards use the CA3280? Edit: oh, now I see, they do. But i also see you sell them, so I guess that sorts that out. For a while you couldn't get those things anywhere.
frijitz
sduck wrote:
Do these boards use the CA3280? Edit: oh, now I see, they do. But i also see you sell them, so I guess that sorts that out. For a while you couldn't get those things anywhere.

Actually, they are being manufactured now by Alpha:
http://www.alfarzpp.lv/eng/sc/AS3280.php
Alex kindly sent me a couple to test, and they looked fine in my usual VCA-like test circuit. It's peanut butter jelly time!

Ian
MuadMusic
I recently purchased the Dual Teezer Eurorack boards/panel/bracket from Synthcube. I'm working on a Mouser Project for it. Paying a quarter for a common cap seems a bit high, but the 0.22 uF C0G caps for $1+ each is really killing me. This is particularly the case since I need 24 of them.

So ... my question is "how important is the C0G spec in this project"? Can I get a cheaper cap without sacrificing, say, stability?

Ian, love your modules. Can you please educate me on C0G? Thanks in advance!
frijitz
MuadMusic wrote:
I recently purchased the Dual Teezer Eurorack boards/panel/bracket from Synthcube. I'm working on a Mouser Project for it. Paying a quarter for a common cap seems a bit high, but the 0.22 uF C0G caps for $1+ each is really killing me. This is particularly the case since I need 24 of them.

So ... my question is "how important is the C0G spec in this project"? Can I get a cheaper cap without sacrificing, say, stability?

The version of the docs I have says plastic or ceramic for the .22’s. Plastic can be PE/mylar. Ceramic would just be inexpensive discs.

Ian
appliancide
frijitz wrote:
sduck wrote:

Alex kindly sent me a couple to test, and they looked fine in my usual VCA-like test circuit. It's peanut butter jelly time!

Ian

This is fantastic news! The Teezer and Threeler are modern classics, plus there a few other great designs with the 3280.

edit: to remove horrible mistake
frijitz
appliancide wrote:

I built this module a little while back. On my PCBs, the 1v/Oct trimmer was not connected to ground, so I had to jumper that connection on both boards.

Could you please elaborate on this? The 1V/Oct trimmer does not connect to ground. There are several versions of this board, so I'm not sure which one you are refering to, but in all the trimmer connects to a 330R resistor (R16). Could you possibly please post a photo showing this particular connection you are talking about?

Thanks!

Ian
MuadMusic
frijitz wrote:
MuadMusic wrote:

The version of the docs I have says plastic or ceramic for the .22’s. Plastic can be PE/mylar. Ceramic would just be inexpensive discs.

Ian

Beautiful! That's what I was thinking/hoping! I'll update the Mouser Project with inexpensive 0.22's. (When I get finished with the project I'll post it in the thread).
MuadMusic
Here is the Mouser Project
https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=4cd0 df60c9

See follow up message for the 15 items in the BOM that are NOT in this project.

Also, note that there are a number of ICs and Trimmers that are available from Tayda Electronics at a lower cost.
MuadMusic
IM me if you'd like a spreadsheet. Or better still, teach me how to attach or otherwise reference a spreadsheet in the forum.

Line 17 HDW MHNZ3-7H4 Fastener Express M3 x .5mm Hex Nuts Steel Zinc 1 each 8 M3
Line 18 Fastener Express 1 each 4 #4 HDWWSHR#4NYLON
Line 19 801252 4.5 mm OD Hex Standoffs (M-F) / M3-0.5 x 5 mm / Alum
Line 34 PWR CBL1016EURO25 Erthenvar EURO 10-16 PIN POWER CABLE 10 each 2 n/a
Line 38 RES 2KTEMPCO Ankaeohm 2k ohm tempco resistor 3300ppm 2 kOhm 2 R14 n/a
Line 74 22BL-25S Consolidated 22AWG Stranded Hookup Wire 25' Spool Wire Line 74 1 each 1 n/a

Order From Tayda Electronics
Line 29 IC A-857 26 GTK 8 PIN MACHINE TOOLED IC SOCKET 8 pin 26 DIP8
Line 30 IC A-1319 2 GTK 16 PIN MACHINE TOOLED IC SOCKET 16 pin 2 DIP16
Line 31 A-4566 14 various colors available KNB CP-BUA-6-S(6.4)W7E Chia Shin Davies 1900 Clone Black 1 each 14 n/a
Line 32 A-1984 10 100K OHM LINEAR TAPER POTENTIOMETER SOLDER LUGS ROUND SHAFT DIA: 6.35MM 100 kOhm 10 R1, R3, R12, R12A, R120 Line 32 12mm
Line 33 A-1982 4 10K OHM Linear Taper Potentiometer Solder Lugs Round Shaft Dia: 6mm 100 Kohm 4 R8, R10 12mm
Line 68 A-584 2 100 OHM TRIMMER CERMET POTENTIOMETER 25 TURNS 3296W Line 68 A-584 Bourns 100 Ohm 2 R15 3296W
Line 70 A-596 1 500 OHM TRIMMER POTENTIOMETER CERMET 25 TURNS 3296W Line 70 A-596 Alpha 500 Ohm 1 R42 3296W Alpha 500 Ohm 1 R42 3296W

Order from Synthcube
Line 21 IC CA3280 Intersil CA3280 1 each 2 DIP14

Order on Ebay
Line 23 IC SSM2220 Analog Devices SSM2220 SUPERMATCHED TRN PAIR 1 each 2 Q1,Q2 PAIR DIP8
AD SSM2220 DIP-8 AudioDual Natched PNP transistor IC from U-Barn
https://www.ebay.com/itm/401296021739?ViewItem=&item=401296021739&ppi d=PPX000608&cnac=US&rsta=en_US(en_US)&cust=9S6655876V0212239&unptid=29 4254ea-0ca9-11e9-82b9-441ea14e1a7c&t=&cal=4f5c924ba8187&calc=4f5c924ba 8187&calf=4f5c924ba8187&unp_tpcid=email-receipt-auction-payment&page=m ain:email&pgrp=main:email&e=op&mchn=em&s=ci&mail=sys
MuadMusic
This is the Synthcube link to the BOM with which I started:
file:///C:/Users/MusicMan/Downloads/fritz%20dual%20teezer%20euro%20vco %20BOM%20(2).pdf
appliancide
frijitz wrote:
appliancide wrote:

Horrible Mistake

Could you please elaborate on this? The 1V/Oct trimmer does not connect to ground. There are several versions of this board, so I'm not sure which one you are refering to, but in all the trimmer connects to a 330R resistor (R16). Could you possibly please post a photo showing this particular connection you are talking about?

Thanks!

Ian

No pictures d'oh! oops

I'm sorry Ian, but that problem and solution may have had a bit too much assistance from Hamms. beer! oops Just popped the module out, immediately saw the problem that had been "fixed" before. The PCB is perfect, sorry for the bad information! I've removed it from the original post.
frijitz
appliancide wrote:
I'm sorry Ian, but that problem and solution may have had a bit too much assistance from Hamms. beer! oops Just popped the module out, immediately saw the problem that had been "fixed" before. The PCB is perfect, sorry for the bad information! I've removed it from the original post.

Ah, that’s the problem—you need a better brand of beer lol

That design is so old and has had such an unfortunate history, I’ve lost track of all the different versions and corrections. Glad to hear you cleared up this issue.

Ian
MuadMusic
Since I had to research this, I though I'd add a note. The Sync level pot is connected to the J2 connector as follows:
viewed from the rear, with lugs on the bottom,

rightmost lug (CCW from front panel perspective) connects to ground
middle lug (output) connects to S lev 2
leftmost lug (CW from front panel perspective) connects to S lev 1
synthcube
frijitz wrote:
sduck wrote:

Ian

these new alfa 3280 chips will breathe new life into ian's already-awesome designs!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 4