MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

graphic sequencer divisions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> STG Soundlabs  
Author graphic sequencer divisions
thedug
I was curious if anybody had tried to send a normal clock into the time buffer input so that the devisions switch could be used.
lorenzovektor
The Divisions switch only works if your feeding it a signal from the STG Time Buffer which requires a Sync 24 signal

The division switch does NOT work with a clock input directly to the Graphic Seq.

Hope it helps smile
det3
Well, I think the question was if someone has put a manual clock directly into the time buffer to take advantage of the divisions switch. While this is not strictly encouraged, I will say this:

The time buffer is designed to accept and send 0-5V signals. The clock is 24x the beat you are running (that is, 24ppqn). The time buffer is also fairly sensitive to voltage levels - if you run much more than 5.5V, there is a big possibility that you could damage the unit. So, if you want to experiment with this, two rules should be followed:

1. Clock is 24x the tempo.
2. Don't go above 5V on the clock or start/stop input.

YMMV. Also, please note that this is out of scope of what we consider 'normal' usage, so if you blow your time buffer up by slamming it with the raw output of a VCO or LFO, it probably won't be covered under warranty. Suit makes the final call there though.
jeannot
det3 The DIN clock travels on the Gate rail of the bussing system, correct?
det3
What are you interpreting as the gate rail?

Each time module has a DIN clock and gate input that are 0-5V, which are physically on an MTA-100 connector. That connector has the following pinning:

1 - ground
2 - clock
3 - start

However, in the euro edition we did not tie any connections to the bus pins on the power connector.
jeannot
Ok, gotcha, thanks for clearing that up.
thedug
Is start like a reset input?

Also, how can we tell which pin is which input by looking at the back of the graphic?
suitandtieguy
pin one is the rectangular one.

"start" is kind of misleading. it's technically a "run gate." if it's at 0V, transport is stopped. 5V ... transport runs.
thedug
Interesting.

So if you are sending a clock into both inputs what would happen?

I would imagine that front input will always works and the input on the header only works when start has 5V, but is it a mixture of the 2 or does 1 override the other (i.e. is front panel jack switched)

Douglas
suitandtieguy
as long as "stage one input" is high, it is at stage one.

when stage one goes low, the module waits for the next clock pulse on either the internal divisor or the "shift" input.

this is a superior behaviour to other sequencers which don't respect the "gate" aspect of the "stage one" input or are so rude as to have a "reset" input which puts the sequencer _before_ stage one and _after_ the last stage.
thedug
I think my question was misleading. I meant the clock input and the time buffer input on the back. What happens if you use them simultaneously?
suitandtieguy
sorry.

the shift input senses if a plug is inserted (it _must_ be TS, not TRS) and the sequencer starts listening to that instead.
thedug
so the time buffer imput is normalled through that jack until you plug something else into it?
suitandtieguy
logically, yes.

however the electronics do not work like that. the microprocessor senses wether the ring gets shorted to ground and then stops listening to the time bus and starts listening to the jack.
thedug
interesting.. so the micro processor code is just looking for one of the pins to go low and that toggles which pin is the active clock?
det3
Yep. This is done in a lot of modern audio circuits, and falls under the category of "jack detection". It's used from clock detection to mute control all the way to changing signal routing on things. I once worked on a studio signal processor that had digital insert routing, and used jack detect to determine how the insert and loop audio paths were routed based on which jacks were plugged in.
suitandtieguy
don't be shy. name names. you will have no retribution from it.

you do yourself a disservice staying in the shadows as far as your work experience goes. humility never kept one particular fellow modular engineer from reminding everyone every 4 months what his sales figures are and that he also laid out the Radio Shack MG-1.

i am proud to work with someone who has layout experience with Digitech and E-Mu/Creative, not to mention the more recent things like what you just referenced.
det3
suitandtieguy wrote:
don't be shy. name names. you will have no retribution from it.

That's what YOU say. I have a non-disclosure agreement right here from company [REDACTED] stating exactly the kinds and amount of retribution that will be visited upon me for naming names. :-)
Paranormal Patroler
Sorry for necroing this, I'm just curious if anyone has any idea whatsoever about a DIY expander for the Graphic Sequencer in a similar fashion to the Time Buffer but with clock input instead of Din Sync. I would love to be able to use the division switch on the module. How hard would it be to make one? seriously, i just don't get it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> STG Soundlabs  
Page 1 of 1