MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

can i mult / mix triggers and/or gates ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author can i mult / mix triggers and/or gates ?
love_hertz
hi there,

great forum. am reading it avidly. the only downside is the gear lust it creates or perhaps awakes is truer ....

i am expanding on a basic system and want to add a sample and hold to my setup so that sustained notes from my sequencer don't 'wobble' if you know what i mean. as the sequencer progresses to the next step, any change in voltage in the next step will be heard even if the step is not triggered. sometimes of course i want this but not always ..

what i hope to do and am open to guidance on this is to sample the step and hold that voltage until the next step that is triggered is also sampled.

the doepfer one (sorry but i haven't been around long enough to remember a-1xx this and RSxx that !) will resample with a trigger.

can i send the gate output to a multiple and then send one to the s+h module and one to the adsr ?

what i would also like to do, as i have a clock divider from a systems is mix different triggers with a mult and send them to an adsr

i have no mults to try this with and i am planning to get some asap (having fallen into the trap of getting too much fun stuff and not enough bread and butter stuff to begin with) and i am going to use your advice to help me decide how many to get !

lastly i am intrigued by the sum and difference outs on the vulcan mod and wonder if there are other ways to achieve this kind of functionality.

oh and lastly again, what must haves are there for generative kind of stuff, controlled randomness but not out and out noise !
dougcl
love_hertz wrote:
hi there,

any change in voltage in the next step will be heard even if the step is not triggered. sometimes of course i want this but not always ..

can i send the gate output to a multiple and then send one to the s+h module and one to the adsr ?

what i would also like to do, as i have a clock divider from a systems is mix different triggers with a mult and send them to an adsr

lastly i am intrigued by the sum and difference outs on the vulcan mod and wonder if there are other ways to achieve this kind of functionality.

oh and lastly again, what must haves are there for generative kind of stuff, controlled randomness but not out and out noise !

Hi, lot of questions. I'll try since no one else has responded yet.
1) Consider the Doepfer A-156 quantizer. Have a look and let me know if you have any questions.
2) You can send a sequencer gate out to an adsr and a S&H at the same time. Should work great. The Doepfer S&H (A-148?) samples on the rising edge of the gate and will hold the value until it sees another rising edge.
3) Mixing triggers is no problem, but it sound like you have gates. If you want to mix gates, the best tool is the Doepfer min/max module, however when you mix gates you might just end up with one long gate that never ends (if at least one of the mixed gates is on at any given time). If you want instead to get trigger from the gates and then mix them, consider the Doepfer A-162. It does a great job of converting gates to triggers (ADSRs will do this too). The A-162 has other benefits too, and might be the kind of thing you are looking for.
4) Not sure. Don't have Livewire, but my guess it that you can achieve this with an A-175 inverter and a mixer.
5) A-118, A-156, A-129-3 (or better, the upcoming A-183-2), A-152, A-170. I always use the A-143-3 in generative patches. Last but not least, the A-196 - great source of controlled instability.
sandyb
love_hertz wrote:
hi there,

you can most certainly use a multiple to split a signal and send it to 2 (or more) modules. what you shouldn't really do is use a multiple to *mix* a number of different signals. for that you need a mixer.
MrDys
A Doepfer A-186 can be used to mix gates/triggers.
e-grad
sandyb wrote:
what you shouldn't really do is use a multiple to *mix* a number of different signals.

True, mixing with a mult is asking for trouble!

You can use the suggested modules (mixer, combiner) also cool is an AND logic module like the A166 which offers a lot flexibility.
love_hertz
thanks a lot for the replies.

i'll spend some time digesting the responses and come back to ask questions if i don't get it..

apologies for the multiple questions. i was on a bit of a roll. seems like when i started writing, all sorts of ideas came popping into my head.

thanks again !
wetterberg
mixing gates== best non-linear sequencing on teh planetz.
love_hertz
so for gate mixing i should use an audio mixer or a cv mixer ?
wetterberg
linear mixers for cv, and yeah, gates are a type of cv.
helitron
love_hertz wrote:

both will do - however, you wont need the level controls since gates have a certain voltage (5v)

best thing to use is a gate trigger combiner (see doepfers) or you can diy with diodes.

hel
wetterberg
helitron wrote:
love_hertz wrote:

both will do - however, you wont need the level controls since gates have a certain voltage (5v)

best thing to use is a gate trigger combiner (see doepfers) or you can diy with diodes.

hel
I beg to differ! Sure, the doepfer gate combiner:
http://www.doepfer.de/a186.htm
- adds them together, but it's much more useful to have a mixer in there handling the voltages, allowing offsets, varying "velocities" etc.
helitron
yes, you're right ... i mixed up gates with triggers here wink

hel
makenoise
I agree with Wetterberg. A mixer is very useful with gates. Take the 4 random gate outputs from the Zorlon cannon and mix them to achieve a random sequence, for example.

Tony
Parallel Worlds
wetterberg wrote:
helitron wrote:
love_hertz wrote:

hel
I beg to differ! Sure, the doepfer gate combiner:
http://www.doepfer.de/a186.htm
- adds them together, but it's much more useful to have a mixer in there handling the voltages, allowing offsets, varying "velocities" etc.

i have two Doepfer A186's. they work fine and i use them to combine triggers from sequencers that have only individual gate/trigger outs per step and not a combined output.

of course, with using a linear mixer, you have more features and control over the voltage levels, but the a186 trigger combiner is an OR combiner, and that means that the total voltage out that you get, if two or more triggers or gates occur at the same time in its inputs, is still the same as the voltage level of one gate or trigger. and this may be useful depending on your applications.

also, another advantage in using the A186: you get 7 inputs and you spend only 4HP.
and the many gate/trigger inputs are indeed useful, as the various sequencers will, quite probably, have at least 8 gate/trigger outs...

the A186 is a great, simple (its passive), cheap and underrated module.
love_hertz
This forum is awesome. Thanks a lot.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1