MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Quad Fading - Doepfer A-134-2 n Joystick
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Quad Fading - Doepfer A-134-2 n Joystick
REwire
Not having an M32 to use I tried creating the part of it I wanted most - Quad Vector Fading - 4 Sources to one output faded by the joystick.

The Doepfer A-134-2 is a dual VC crossfader that can be changed with it's jumpers to a four way fader. I hooked up an Asys joystick and played with four filter sources - M11 Evil Twin, A-105 SSM, Frequensteiner and Doepfer XPander Filter.

Here's the audio result of my test:

http://www.rewiremusic.com/Audio/Demos/A-134_N_Joy.mp3

One thing is that there are always two sources heard, but the position of the joy changes which two are heard together. I'm interested if the M32 does better at isolating each one but this is an alternative to do that one thing.

Dan
REwire
Here's a modified active patch showing that the A-134-2 can be CV'd to automate the quad fading. I used two opposing phased outs of the Cwejman PH-4 (Quadrature LFO) into each CV in (X and Y) and also sent slow LFO's to all four filters. Also some ASYs RS-290 Echo and Doepfer Reverb with a big tank:

http://www.rewiremusic.com/Audio/Demos/A-134-2_PH-4.mp3
Veqtor
The stupid thing is that if you carefully read the description of the A-134-2 you'll realise it's one crossfader away from a real 4-channel crossfader.

Think about it, for a 4-channel one, you need two to crossfade between the two different y-axises, then you need a third one to crossfade between the first two's outputs, when you move the x-axis.
REwire
Veqtor wrote:
The stupid thing is that if you carefully read the description of the A-134-2 you'll realise it's one crossfader away from a real 4-channel crossfader.

Think about it, for a 4-channel one, you need two to crossfade between the two different y-axises, then you need a third one to crossfade between the first two's outputs, when you move the x-axis.

I do have another A-134-2 but I see no way to include it to do a real quad fade. With only an X and a Y on a joystick there's no way to split the CV from the positive and negative to go to different CV inputs.

Now I also have a VCA-4MX and MX-4S which can fade between all four with my PH-4 but a two axis joystick can only do two. What I need is a joystick with an output for all four quadrants or........M32 very frustrating
wetterberg
Veqtor wrote:
really? That's not how I read this bit:
Quote:
The module can be modified to have only one common output available, i.e. output 1 and output 2 are mixed together and appear at the Out 2 socket. With this modification the module can be used in combination with the Joy Stick module A-174 as a two-dimensional crossfader, i.e. four signals are mixed to one output with the joy stick position defining the relation between the signals. In this application Out 1 has no function. Both units of the A-134-2 have to be set to symmetrical mode:
Veqtor
check the table of what's going out when:
* Joystick in center position (CVX = 0V, CVY = 0V): In1A = 50%, In1B = 50%, In2A = 50%, In2B = 50%, i.e. all four signals have nearly the same level
* Joystick in upper position (CVY ~ +3.5V, CVX = 0V): In1A = 100%, In1B = 0%, In2A = 50%, In2B = 50%
* Joystick in lower position (CVY ~ -3.5V, CVX = 0V): In1A = 0%, In1B = 100%, In2A = 50%, In2B = 50%
* Joystick in right position (CVY = 0V, CVX ~ +3.5V): In1A = 50%, In1B = 50%, In2A = 100%, In2B = 0%
* Joystick in left position (CVY = 0V, CVX ~ -3.5V): In1A = 50%, In1B = 50%, In2A = 0%, In2B = 100%

notice the problem?
wetterberg
no. The "only one sound" part would be "lower right", "upper left" etc - not shown on the list.
Veqtor
maybe you're right and I'm too hungover to think straight
very frustrating
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1