MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

tiptop z5000 headsup
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author tiptop z5000 headsup
love_hertz
hi there,

i don't mean to be negative but i just received a Z5000 and it seems like there is a batch where the presets and the panel don't match up as they used some new components. it confused me a bit at first. especially as i am new to modulars.

it doesn't affect the operation, its cosmetic and i believe quite a recent thing.

the only reason i mention it is that i got mine shipped from the US and i may want to send it back which will be costly and a bit frustrating too.

the main reason i might is not because i care so much about things cosmetically but that if i want to sell it on in the future, i couldn't not mention it to the new owner and it would likely affect resale. unfortunately i am someone who tends to pass on gear after a certain time ......

as a new member i hope that this is taken in the spirit it was intended and is in no way a criticism of tiptop. i have their vcos which i love and they were prompt at getting back to me about the problem, although i perhaps should mention they didn't offer a solution (perhaps they will soon)

this is perhaps more for those of us who have to get things sent from afar ......
hogberto
*scurries for shelter* woah

this is why i just don't buy gear from the US. (I'm in the UK.) too much hassle if it goes wrong. i've got US gear (a Voyager) but bought via a UK dealer, which makes life more straightforward.

what we need is a UK equivalent of Schneider's Buero or Analogue Haven. angry
love_hertz
Quote:
what we need is a UK equivalent of Schneider's Buero or Analogue Haven.

true indeed. at least you have analogue systems !
makenoise
hogberto wrote:

You are telling me! Talk to EMIS. Tell them you want the US stuff in their shop. I would be glad to ship a box of Wogglebugs over there...

Tony
coomby
yeah EMIS is not great to deal with though...

i bought some components from him when i was doing some DIY stuff. a week after having paid, i rung him up because i hadn't received anything (i live in the next town). turns out he'd just forgotten about my order !

i've talked about this with Thom from Bugbrand and he told me the guy hasn't been that good with business over the past.

we need a whole new retailer who can carry everything like AH and be as flexible. in fact i think AH should open up a shop in England as a second branch...
futuresoundsystems
makenoise wrote:
hogberto wrote:

You are telling me! Talk to EMIS. Tell them you want the US stuff in their shop. I would be glad to ship a box of Wogglebugs over there...

Tony

There IS one coming... I was contacted a while back by David Crawforth of Post Modular who will soon have a shop in London.

I'm surprised you haven't heard from him Tony... David told me in his email that he was after smaller manufacturers like ourselves. I'll get in touch with him wink

I think EMIS have a "Doepfer and Doepfer only" attitude... I can see why you'd limit yourself as a retailer, but at the same time there IS a large demand for the US "boutique" stuff over here.
Norman_Phay
I've never had a bit of trouble dealing w/the guy from EMIS, he's always been great, I've found.
Norman_Phay
In fact, I'm about to call him up right now!
makenoise
futuresoundsystems wrote:

There IS one coming... I was contacted a while back by David Crawforth of Post Modular who will soon have a shop in London.

I'm surprised you haven't heard from him Tony... David told me in his email that he was after smaller manufacturers like ourselves. I'll get in touch with him wink

Yes, I have talked with David. I think his shop will be REALLY awesome. Hopefully it will be open soon. Guinness ftw!

Tony
modularplanner
Emis have always been fine with me and quick to deliver, just bought a monster base case from him, he called me yesterday to say its going to be delivery monday. Only problem is that they are pricey on doepfer modules compared to Thomann, I have have to admit I get 90% of my modules from Thomann delivered for cheaper than from Emis.

Yeah we really do need a US module distributer in the UK smile
coomby
wow i'm really excited about post modular. the introductory website is already presenting a pretty clean design.
is this going to be a website only retail or is there also a shop being established somewhere ?
i'm quite excited at the prospect of actually being able to set foot in a modular shop !
love_hertz
I would set up a shop in a second, except i would probably want to keep everything.

I thought that Schneiders and Haven had it to themselves. Perhaps there's something to be done.

I am surprised that there's no Japanese makers. Fancy a modular TenoriOn anyone ?
NV
Have you tried removing and adjusting the preset knob on the Z5000? The knob itself may just be off by a couple of notches, in which case you can just pull it off and reseat it properly. Find a preset which is obvious, such as the delay or flanger, and set the knob according to that.

The presets are set according to the firmware within TipTop's DSP engine, so unless they have altered the internal firmware programming of the module the preset order would not be affected by a change in through-hole components.
adamf
NV wrote:
Have you tried removing and adjusting the preset knob on the Z5000? The knob itself may just be off by a couple of notches, in which case you can just pull it off and reseat it properly. Find a preset which is obvious, such as the delay or flanger, and set the knob according to that.

The presets are set according to the firmware within TipTop's DSP engine, so unless they have altered the internal firmware programming of the module the preset order would not be affected by a change in through-hole components.

I agree. Also, perhaps don't focus so much up on the "names" of the presets as some of them may at first not seem accurate (especially those labelled as "Chorus"). If Delay, Flanger and Rotary Speaker match up correctly with the control knob, then the module is likely OK. If not, (aS NV said) find delay (should be easy to hear, especially if you set "CTRL" to max), leave it on that setting, pull the preset knob off, reposition it correctly above the delay preset and push it back on. All other presets should now match correctly.
futuresoundsystems
coomby wrote:
is this going to be a website only retail or is there also a shop being established somewhere ?
i'm quite excited at the prospect of actually being able to set foot in a modular shop !

There is apparently going to be a showroom in London.
love_hertz
Quote:

I have contacted them and its a known issue. I wouldn't have posted if I thought it was trivial to fix and it appears that it is not fixable by the user.

I haven't had so much time with the module yet but it seems like the presets are quite mixed up and its not just a simple 2 step offset (ie 12 is 14, 11 is 13 etc)

One other thing about it is that it seems quite dark in use. Apparently this is normal and they suggested using a high pass filter before the module. This implies a send + return setup which is a bit more involved that the simple insert setup I planned to use it for.....
NV
Well that's not good. It seems strange that they would let such an obvious issue as altered preset selection past their quality control. Hopefully this doesn't become a regular occurrence.
love_hertz
Yeah. It is a bit annoying and why i started the thread.
Its not like I can go to my local modular shop down the road and swap it out.

The only places that have it are Schneiders and Analogue Haven. Neither particularly local to me in Ireland.
a100user
+1 for Andy at EMIS.

Now I do hope that Post Modular becomes reality. The fact that I work in London also means I may get to play before I buy. A truely unique experience with everything being web purchased.
timmah
yes a modular store in london would be fantastic, i'm moving there next year!
noisesource
i have to say i love my Z5k. my first effects processor was an Alesis Midiverb II. This this has the same plate and room 'verbs as that unit almost as if it were a clone. (similar engine maybe)

sorry to hear about the mix-up. but always try and use a flaw as a feature. run an output back into itself and have some fun. smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1