MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What ever happened to Bananalogue
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author What ever happened to Bananalogue
ex_dead_teenager
I guess they hit hard times and had to stop producing stuff but every once in a while I hear on a list or on these forums that they're planning a comeback of some sort. so I guess what I'm wondering is if the rumors are true. I needs me some slopes damnit!
Muff Wiggler
in before the lock! hihi

seriously though, no-one knows....at the moment nothing is happening and hasn't in a while, but you are right that from time to time there are rumors

one can only hope for the best
Veqtor
it seems that the domain name isn't even owned by someone anymore...
NV
Ken Stone has mentioned plans to produce the VCS, although he's also said that he isn't sure when and to patiently wait for announcements. Given that Bananalogue worked with Ken Stone to acquire Serge's permission for the VCS and the PCBs used on the modules were printed by Ken Stone, I am inclined to believe that Bananalogue is pretty much dead.

Pretty much everything that anyone knows about the topic is condensed into this thread: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3885
NV wrote:
Ken Stone has mentioned plans to produce the VCS, although he's also said that he isn't sure when and to patiently wait for announcements. Given that Bananalogue worked with Ken Stone to acquire Serge's permission for the VCS and the PCBs used on the modules were printed by Ken Stone, I am inclined to believe that Bananalogue is pretty much dead.

Pretty much everything that anyone knows about the topic is condensed into this thread: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3885

Copyright on the VCS pcb is hold by serge,stone and nemec (!) as u can read it printed on the retail PCBs of the VCS

How can u have copyrights on a design if u only got the 'PERMISSION' supposed from serge the man himself to made a batch from that VCS like stone declare himself? This is totaly bollocks when u have in mind Rex sells the same design for years already?

Yes ofcource its possible:

Am sure anybody can release these PCB's/modules as there is for sure something not clear who owns 'rights' AND (more importand)at the same time that/these person(s) HAVE the legal right to take legal action agains any other manufacturer of the same design.
Luka
i guess the pcb artwork is copyright to bananalogue crew and circuit to serge
chimologic
I would think permission form Serge would probably be mandatory and enough, thought you might have to redo the board design.
Luka wrote:
i guess the pcb artwork is copyright to bananalogue crew and circuit to serge

Artwork? the unicorn printed on it lol

The circuit is the same as the DSG so no artwork here..

They just put copyright and names on it..
wetterberg
which is what Ken Stone is doing now, from what I gather; his own pcb design, thus relieving Bananalogue of that part of the equation. Really fantastic for the DIY community.
wetterberg wrote:
which is what Ken Stone is doing now, from what I gather; his own pcb design, thus relieving Bananalogue of that part of the equation. Really fantastic for the DIY community.

so if u move one or 2 resistors vertical its indeed another 'design' lol
chimologic
the design of the circuit belongs to Serge. Ken Probably has his permission so he has no problem using the design. the circuit board 'design' is what needs ot be changed, so yeah moving some resistors around/changing a little the path on the board and some resistors vales would be sufficient I would think
Luka
this would fall under standard print media copyright laws
If the ppl involved with the rights of the circuits design can take no legal action because of an agreement conflict or error anybody can release a clone of any of those circuits design.

doepfer has clones,modcan has clones,bananalogue clones and u have just rex there watching all this beheavour going on..

Doepfer and modcan didn't ask for 'permission' to serge and i doubth that bananalogue ever did.

I think serge doesn't care anything abouth it,hes long out of buzzyness with these module things,its not a few dollars that will made any difference for him from so called 'royalties' that have to be payd.

Open ur eyes ppl!
chimologic
well I think the matter here is more moral than legal. Is Serge design, he should be asked if you plan to clone it unless you are a scumbag. Thats it.
chimologic wrote:
well I think the matter here is more moral than legal. Is Serge design, he should be asked if you plan to clone it unless you are a scumbag. Thats it.

Sure if u clone it and ask money for it if u resell!

But the question is if all those that have released clones for sale did asked permission and can concretely prove that.
wetterberg
why 2012, I do believe you're trolling again lol
wetterberg wrote:
why 2012, I do believe you're trolling again lol

Because ur stupid lol!

no,i would like to know the full storry between rex and serge ,something is not clear here,and why a lot of clones can be sold without any problem.
wetterberg
yes, then let's argue about it online! w00t f u hehe.

Why not call up Rex? I do believe he's got a phone number.
suitandtieguy
y r u spelling you u?

srsly, it's only two more letters and it makes it easier for the reader to take your post seriously.
wetterberg wrote:
yes, then let's argue about it online! w00t f u hehe.

Why not call up Rex? I do believe he's got a phone number.

am sorry if serge stuff is before ur time kiddy,go play with ur doepfers then if u don't like to read my posts!(same for the others that have 'problems' to read)

Am afraid serge is the only one that can clarify this all,as there are claims that rex doesn't even pay royalties to serge what would explain the 'legal' cloning,could be a 'revenge' after so much years..
mono-poly
chimologic wrote:

That makes Dieter Doepfer one i guess.
Kent
2012, please restrain your online persona a bit. It's tiresome.

You've stated that you have no direct information pertaining to these circuits and the intellectual property and/or licensing thereof. If this is the case, why all the emotion when there is so little 1st hand knowledge? Especially about a couple of synth modules.
Do you know if the intellectual property rights have lapsed into the public domain? Are you aware that one can't 'copyright' or 'trademark' circuit designs in general?

Ask Serge/Rex directly & let us know as it seems to be something that you genuinely care about. If you don't have the energy for that, I can't understand having the energy for angry discussion.
Kent wrote:
why all the emotion when there is so little 1st hand knowledge?

yes u are right

i send u a PM ,then u know why
sascha.victoria
My dad can beat up your dad.

Side note: why doesn't someone just contact Serge and put an end to this back and forth?
vav
You know, the VCS was the first module i got...and while i like it, i think i might sell it. Maybe i just dont have enough modules to use it to it's full extent, but i find i generally just flip the cycle switch and use it for FM and AM.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2