MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

(Halp) Borked A-140? + Bonus AFG question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author (Halp) Borked A-140? + Bonus AFG question
vav
Was playing with my AFG last night and noticed something odd. I was using my A198 ribbon controller to play the AFG and using an A140 ADSR to contour the volume... Patch was this:

Ribbon controller Gate out to A140 Gate in
A140 CV out to A131 (Exp.) VCA Gain
Ribbon CV out to 156 Quantize in, Quantizer out to AFG 1volt per octave
AFG Saw out to A131 (exp) audio in.
A131 (Exp.) audio out to speakers

When set to a longer release in any mode (lo, med, high), when the envelope hit the release stage, the voltage of the saw would drop. Rather than the sound trailing off, it would stutter as the frequency lowered.

Think it's borked? Or am i just stupid and need a linear VCA?

BONUS: I'm under the impression that i can use harmonic animation on ANY of the waveforms on the AFG, but the controls seem to only work on the Animated Pulses and Alien Saws outputs...is this a jumper setting?
rtopia
Hi Vav,

vav wrote:
BONUS: I'm under the impression that i can use harmonic animation on ANY of the waveforms on the AFG, but the controls seem to only work on the Animated Pulses and Alien Saws outputs...is this a jumper setting?

Harmonic Animation only works on Animated Pulses and Alien Saws.

[r]
vav
rtopia wrote:
Hi Vav,

vav wrote:

Harmonic Animation only works on Animated Pulses and Alien Saws.

[r]

Gotcha, thankie.

Any thoughts on my Envelope conundrm?
REwire
Are you using any kind of DIY rack or power setups that could be getting voltage crosstalk on the power rails? Try moving the A-140 and AFG on to separate rack levels.
vav
REwire wrote:
Are you using any kind of DIY rack or power setups that could be getting voltage crosstalk on the power rails? Try moving the A-140 and AFG on to separate rack levels.

Negative, A100 suitcase, and the AFG is on the top row, ADSR on bottom row.
felix
I'm a little confused by this:
vav wrote:
When set to a longer release in any mode (lo, med, high), when the envelope hit the release stage, the voltage of the saw would drop. Rather than the sound trailing off, it would stutter as the frequency lowered.

-What you do mean by "the voltage of the saw would drop"?
-When you say it "stuttered" do you mean the volume of the signal?
-Why would the frequency be dropping in the patch?

If your ribbon controller (which one is it BTW) is setup to return to some base frequency (or voltage as the case is) when you release pressure on it, then that would explain a stuttering of sorts of the frequency of the sound. Because the voltage of the ribbon is going through the quantizer, it's going to quantize a drop in voltage as well, creating a "staircase" stepping of the voltage as it lowers. It's possible that this has always been happening with this patch, but you don't notice it in shorted ADSR times because the VCA is closed before the pitch drops by the first quantized step.

However, if it's the volume that you hear stuttering, I really don't know why, other than if the gate out from the ribbon is triggering repeatedly (are there any gate indicator LEDs for when the gate signal goes high?). Using a linear VCA vs and Exponential (or vice versa) would not cause stuttering or fluttering of volume.
haven
If you are using he Doepfer A198 ribbon is the ribbon in Hold mode? This will hold the position CV out when you release your finger
vav
Weird, i just patched it up to record audio so you guys could hear it, and now i cant replicate it.

*scratches head*

EDIT: Here we go, i guess it's a return to zero issue. When only using the Gate, it works fine. When i patch the CV from the ribbon controller into the 1v/oct switch, and use the hold position OFF, it triggers the note, and then when i lift my finger from the ribbon the pitch drops to whatever the "default" tuning is, e.g the frequency the oscillator is set to.

make sense?
felix
yep, that was more or less what I was thinking it was.

Weird that the behavior is not reproducible anymore though. Maybe VCO is tuned differently now?
wetterberg
well yeah, you'll nee the Hold switch on, otherwise it won't hold the voltage... or am I reading this wrong?
vav
wetterberg wrote:
well yeah, you'll nee the Hold switch on, otherwise it won't hold the voltage... or am I reading this wrong?

Yah, but i'd rather it not hold indefinatly, which is what it does when engaged, regardless of envelope patching/settings.
wetterberg
vav wrote:
wetterberg wrote:

Yah, but i'd rather it not hold indefinatly, which is what it does when engaged.
well, are we talking the gate value or the control voltage output?
you want the cv (that controls the pitch) to be held, but not the gate, correct?
vav
wetterberg wrote:
vav wrote:
wetterberg wrote:

Yah, but i'd rather it not hold indefinatly, which is what it does when engaged.
well, are we talking the gate value or the control voltage output?
you want the cv (that controls the pitch) to be held, but not the gate, correct?

Well both, actually. When i lift my finger from the ribbon controller, i'd like for the note to hold it's pitch, and the volume to dissipate.

The Hold switch, it seems, sends a constant gate, so even when i lift my finger, gate is still being put out. That, i think, might be the problem.
vav
Here is the patch, if this helps

Sorry for the blur. Red is gate from Ribbon to ADSR, Blue is CV from ADSR to VCA, Grey is CV from Ribbon to Osc, Black is audio OSC to VCA.
wetterberg
ah, how about just using the "thresh" gate below the cv output instead of the upper gate?
vav
wetterberg wrote:
ah, how about just using the "thresh" gate below the cv output instead of the upper gate?

I tried that...the Threshold refers to how much pressure must be applied for the pressure sensitivity outputs CV.
wetterberg
oh I thought it applied to the gate down there?
vav
wetterberg wrote:

Nope, both Position and Pressure send individual CV & Gate. It's quite nice.

Now if only it would do i what i want it to smile
wetterberg
vav wrote:
wetterberg wrote:

could you tell me how the Gate from "pressure" responds? Surely that must go high when you hit it, and low when you release?
vav
wetterberg wrote:
vav wrote:
wetterberg wrote:

could you tell me how the Gate from "pressure" responds? Surely that must go high when you hit it, and low when you release?

Exactly as that. However, when i release, the pitch still drops like in the audio examples posted above.
wetterberg
damn, that's not what I meant;
let me give it one last try, then I'll back away:

IF you turn on hold, will the lower Gate output also be held? You want the cv output to be held when releasing - that requires the hold to be active, but will that render BOTH your gate options useless?
vav
wetterberg wrote:
damn, that's not what I meant;
let me give it one last try, then I'll back away:

IF you turn on hold, will the lower Gate output also be held? You want the cv output to be held when releasing - that requires the hold to be active, but will that render BOTH your gate options useless?

That is correct. The lower Gate is also held.

I get it.

And it worked.

Jesus, how did i not see that?

+invisible rep.

Please forgive me, i hope we can be friends after this fiasco.

Mod's, plz2lock, disregard anything i said smile
wetterberg
w00t hihi
haven
The manual is your friend smile
vav
haven wrote:
The manual is your friend smile

Funny story: I bought the Doepfer manual when i ordered my first modules. Over that first summer, my upstairs neighbor installed their AC unit tilted and nasty brown water soaked the top of my bedroom ceiling, dripping down and ruining it, along with the wall. I wandered upstairs and spoke to her about replacing it due to damage. I asked for i think $15 bucks, which would cover the majority of the price of a new one plus shipping. She flipped out and said it wasnt her fault, blah blah. I let it go.

She is, quite literally, in an insane asylum now.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1