MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

getting some light into the studio
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author getting some light into the studio
conscious
Hello,

i would like to know what options are there for having some light(maybe with a beamer) in my studio that reacts to different audio frequencies.
Like different lightcolors for different frequencies and when with the beamer, maybe some images/videos that react to audiofrequencies and of course waveforms like with the VD-01 Videoscope from MFB.

Where to start? maybe with some simple light that reacts to sound?

thnx
lizlarsen
Sure -- you want a voltage-controlled light dimmer, basically. Velleman sells a kit for one. It responds to 0-10V control, although that can be trimmed to a more ideal range given the light in question.

http://www.vellemanusa.com/products/view/?country=us&lang=enu&id=52194 5

It will only work with incandescent bulbs -- I think flourescent or halogen dimmers are more involved.

After you get that portion of it, you can use things like bandpass filters and envelope followers in your modular to extract CV that makes different light dimmers respond to different frequencies. The "Audiovisualization Tools" module that LZX will release sometime soon would be ideal for a light organ setup like this (it has 8 bandpass filters and 8 envelope outputs, all in an 8HP module. you'd still of course need 8x dimmers.)

Cheers,
Lars
Eli
@Lars

I was going to ask if you were ever planning on making something like an envelope follower suited for video. Im psyched on that. I assume that 8 bandpass filters is for shaping and isolating different frequencies to react to? (e.g. finding the bass and snare freq's)
Would love to see a faceplate design if there is one.
lizlarsen
Yep! Here's the current faceplate design for AV Tools. It has nine envelope followers. One for each of the 8 bandpass outputs and one that is adjustable (which also feeds the "beat extractor" comparator/monostable.)

We also have a couple other envelope follower/audio input concepts. One of them is sure to come up as a big priority in the upcoming 2012 production queue (we're focusing on new modules entirely for the next several months.)
lizlarsen
It's also worth noting that any envelope follower is good for video. I use MATHS as a dual envelope follower all the time, since it has separate control over rise/fall and curve. Line-level audio is usually in the 1Vpp range already which means no gain adjustment or attenuation needs to be used for line-level audio sources to make them useful in the LZX range, which is nice.
Eli
Nice! I like the individual outs for each frequency range. I assume the red dots are indicator LED's?

Ive been using the EMU envelope follower and it works just fine, but I anticipate the convenient design in the AV Tools. Good work Lars, as always...

Ive played with the MATHS recently and realized its the same as the Serge Dual Slope Generator. Once I wrapped my brain around it i saw there are so many different uses for this thing...even as a basic filter. Although Im wondering if 4MS' Pingable Envelope Generator might be a leg up in a multi functional respect. Perhaps I should post in the audio modules for video thread.
lizlarsen
I REALLY love the PEG as a video animation/modulation source, but MATHS is definitely much more multi-functional... envelope follower, envelope, lfo, audio-rate modulation source. I use it for all of these things in my video system all the time. PEG is a little too jittery to use as an audio-rate modulation source for video, but the frequency independent skew/curve controls, the tap feature, and the quantize input make it really badass for animation, especially in a live context.
smrl
You might think about LED lighting; with a microcontroller you could make a simple circuit that would do pulse width modulation based off of one of the ADC pins. Advantages as I see it would be dealing with much lower power output, ability to mix LED color channels, and immediate response (incandescents will glow for a little while)

Potential problem would be interaction between your PWM frequency and video devices. Run it at a very fast rate, or maybe even add a sync input?
johnnywoods
you may want to see if you can dig up an Atari Video Music, or even better, the modified version Lars designed for Switched On. I just got to spend time with one while in Denton, and it's pretty incredible. The Gieskes/Bleep Labs Hss3i is another neato option for audio synced mayhem.
If you plugged one of those in and left the lens cap on the beamer (they are typically translucent), you'd get a very nice colored light show. You can take the lens cap off for another variation hihi
Also, placing different types of translucent or refractive materials in or near the beamer can be nice. One cool trick is to do a lumia effect by projecting onto an irregular, moving reflective surface (such as some mirrored mylar spinning on a record player!).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1