MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How come euro euro websites are so rubbish ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author How come euro euro websites are so rubbish ?
love_hertz
The American makers can build some nice websites. How come A systems, A solutions and Doepfer have such rubbish websites. Its an anti aesthetic aesthetic or laziness. Come on old europe, get your sites together !

Some audio would be nice....
love_hertz
i am from old europe btw, and a bit pissed too....
wetterberg
funny, I was just talking to Kent about the Doepfer website... I think it's legacy, his company must be at least ten years old by now, right? and they've had a web presence ever since I started using the net, also about nine-ish years ago.

my point is, I think it's legacy... their site just... grew. It still has a lot of modules with weird german/english descriptions on the same page... who does that?!?
love_hertz
I know what you mean. 90s old school. I think the others i've mentioned have been around nearly as long.

I looked into the modular world about ten years ago but didn't bite. I could swear the websites are the same !
wetterberg
yup.
Main problem might be that these people are engineers, not salespeople...
love_hertz
wetterberg wrote:
yup.
Main problem might be that these people are engineers, not salespeople...

This is comforting to my mind. The occasional audio link would be useful for the uninitiated. It seems to me that the modular world is experiencing a period of renaissance or something.
Which is great. It just seems like the websites mentioned can be a bit user unfriendly.
wetterberg
oh definitely - the classic PLL description on the doepfer website takes the cake, hehe.

I think the rank stench of the Doepfer website really makes it difficult for newbies to get into the modular scene in the first place.... and for my money the PlanB/etc websites aren't a helluva lot better.
felix
It could be worse, it could be the other way around. Real slick websites, lots of flash ( very frustrating ) and pretty layouts and shit-all for information.

All I really need is some basic info anyway and a couple sound samples, and the AH store site gives me 90% of that.

Between here and the AH store, I generally get all the info that I need.
richard
if these people were real capitalists they wouldn't be selling modules in the first place, they'd be doing something more sensible, i quite like the fact they look like they don't give a toss.

anyway, some of the best stuff has the worst websites, buchla's website was unbelievably bad until a few months ago, and I don't think serge even has one, and maybe it doesn't count, but EMS is several years out of date...

but i suppose, they could spent less time designing modules and more time designing websites, or charge more for modules so they could employ web designers... no hang on, those are bad things...

i do quite like schneiders site, not that it really has that much info either, but their somewhat mad enthusiasm does shine through

but I live in germany so i am used to bad websites, in fact most people here probably haven't heard of the internet, ebay or google yet, newsreaders still read from bits of paper in front of a completely static backdrop - no style whatsoever: charming or infuriating depending on your point of view

Richard
wetterberg
but the point of a good website is that it drives sales... "not giving a toss" in that department doesn't reflect well on the pride in the work, or the ambition of the maker.

I, for instance, get a bad vibe about Serge... not because "I need a website to proove X", but because they don't appear to want to display the goods to me... you know?
felix
wetterberg wrote:
I, for instance, get a bad vibe about Serge... not because "I need a website to proove X", but because they don't appear to want to display the goods to me... you know?

I always wondered about that too...there's no "official" company site.

Then again, maybe that's the point. Only those truly serious about laying down some coin for a Serge will dig enough (which isn't that much) to find Rex's phone number and call.

It's like a noob filter. hihi
wetterberg
hehe, except a lot of us are the "i hunt info down myself" type, I don't want to ask for info.... y'know? That's why the serge-fans site is there in the first place, to provide info that the official side of the business can't be arsed to provide (overstating to make a point wink )
felix
wetterberg wrote:
hehe, except a lot of us are the "i hunt info down myself" type, I don't want to ask for info.... y'know? That's why the serge-fans site is there in the first place, to provide info that the official side of the business can't be arsed to provide (overstating to make a point wink )

Haha, yeah, I'm the same way. I hate talking on the phone too.

Though, to put it in another perspective, almost all this gear got it's start 40+ years ago and most is still based on technology from that era. The internet isn't quite half that old yet.

If you're selling direct though, it might be a little different. Otherwise, I would expect the dealer to be the salesperson and the one with all the "marketing" info.

Overall, I guess I don't mind one way or another, so I can't really defend each side.
love_hertz
and all i really want to know is how the stuff sounds like .....
wetterberg
Rex will happily tell you a euphemism about the sound of their products over the phone, man.
razz
love_hertz
and what the fuck it does .....
timmah
I like retro websites.

especially 96 style geocities ones with lots of scrolling and flashing text, in 50 different colours.
REwire
It's not just about the websites; these Euro Euro companies are in different states of stagnation:

Doepfer is at least always updating his new and prototype products.

Analogue Systems seems to be not innovating anything new and is frozen.

Analogue Solutions is coming up with new ideas. The website is less than exciting.

Cwejman has most sparse website and seems a bit stalled too in new products. His modules page now has modules x'd out. There was a super intense Joystick/Quad VCA/ Fader there a while ago and a flanger too.
deastman
felix wrote:
wetterberg wrote:

I always wondered about that too...there's no "official" company site.

Then again, maybe that's the point. Only those truly serious about laying down some coin for a Serge will dig enough (which isn't that much) to find Rex's phone number and call.
About 13 years ago I met Rex Probe and got a tour of his old facility in Oakland, California. Rex is a contradiction in terms. He struck me as someone who is either slightly insane or has had his fair share of chemicals over the years, or possibly both. At the same time, he is absolutely dedicated to building the most precise equipment possible, from milspec components right down to finding the perfect aluminum for the panels. He is also constantly backordered. It doesn't surprise me in the least that he wouldn't be interested in having a web presence.
e-grad
wetterberg wrote:
but the point of a good website is that it drives sales...

deastman wrote:
He [Rex] is also constantly backordered.

I think the lack of a perfect HP helps to keep business on a sustainable level. Just think about what happened to Moog right after the climax of their sales! The firm became to big to handle the subsequent decline of the market on it's own and had to be sold.

It's difficult for small companies to handle (extreme) economic ups and downs thus it makes sense to stay on a small but sustainable level. A bad HP might help - intentionally or untentionally.
recapitation
it's a fact: most synth nerds don't want to talk to other humans on the phone, so i don't know what serge is thinking as far as marketing goes, but nonetheless i appreciate the "finger to the internet" thing, whether intentional or not. synthesizers, and serge, existed long before the internet ever existed, and clearly they don't care about selling any more than they currently do, so why bother? let carbon111 do all the serge web promo for 'em. for me, part of the appeal of analog synths is to get me to spend less time on computers by making electronic music in a "primitive" and "organic" environment. the irony of spending my time and money on modular forums and synthesizers.com modulars is too much to bear sometimes, so maybe serge has something going for them in that regard. i'm curious as to whether any other modular users have this same anti-technology urge.... this gear does hearken back to a different era. in my ideal world, i'd have all the synths i'd ever want, chuck computer out window, and make music all day free of distractions. can i get a hallelujah?

i love doepfer's site, it's simple and well laid-out, easy to navigate, no clutter, very informative, and very german. but this is coming from someone who has strong nostalgia to the point of tears for old geocities doom and wolf3d websites plastered with animated gifs and flourescent yellow and green font. my least favorite synth website is ear-group and plan b. it's everything bad about contemporary web design in one place, ugly, non-navigable, unintuitive, broken pages, god awful photoshopped logos everywhere with axl rose or trent reznor, etc. disgusting. i'm sure axl is out there somewhere programming his tap clock as we speak....
Kent
I used to work for one of the largest recording facilities in the world. When I asked why we didn't have a website, the boss-man responded: "What the hell do I need a website for?"

He was right. We had all the business we could handle.
ndkent
Maybe the Doepfer website doesn't look slick and trendy but a whole lot of useful info is there and is not hard to find. I'll agree that Analogue Solutions is kind of shoestring and minimal and Analogue Systems shouldn't be relying on PDFs as a main source of info.

But come on, who is supposed to be good? All I'm hearing about here is Schneiders, a store not a manufacturer.

I can see where Rex/STS are coming from. A website does suck in time and money and generates a lot of what could be called casual inquiries that can really eat up time. Also people get all irate if every e-mail isn't answered by the next day. Some of them might lead to sales but come on, think about it. It's not like there is anywhere else you could go to buy a new Serge unless all you want is someone's copy of one.
ignatzthemouse
I think the euro sites are fine and, as mentioned by others, the lack of glitz can be kind of comforting.

Just be glad we didn't decide to print it all on vellum and have it read by a town crier.
auricle
ignatzthemouse wrote:
I think the euro sites are fine and, as mentioned by others, the lack of glitz can be kind of comforting.

Just be glad we didn't decide to print it all on vellum and have it read by a town crier.

"OYEZ OYEZ!! NEW CWEJMAN MODULES AT ANALOGUE HAVEN!! OYEZ!!"

"'ere Jethro - what the bloody 'ell's a 'swayman'?"

"I 'ear it's one of those new fangled module thingies for shodding 'orses!"
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2