MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Rhythmic Nuttiness (yet another input requested thread)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Rhythmic Nuttiness (yet another input requested thread)
MrDys
So, inspired bythis post and that youtube video of the Serge Gator, I decided to mock up a rack of rhythm fuckery:

We've got:
2x A160 Clock Divider
2x A161 Clock Sequencer
1x A165 Trigger Modifier
1x A166 Dual Logic
1x A150 Dual VCS
1x A151 Sequential Switch
1x A186 Gate/Trigger Combiner
1x SEQ-01 Trigger Sequencer
1x A117 Digi Noise/Random Clock
1x A149-1 Quantized Random Voltages
1x A149-2 Random Gates

Not pictured: Flame Clockwork (standalone unit).

I already have the A151, SEQ-01, A117, A149-1/2.

So, what's missing here for total rhythmic mayhem? I guess I'm trying to keep a good balance of in-time clocked rhythms with some random variation thrown in.
Kent
In terms of shipping product:

Zorlon Cannon
Malgorithm or A-189-1 as Control Voltage FSU Device.
wetterberg
see, I wouldn't set it up to be just gates... but I'd have to say get the a-152 and replace some of the stuff in there (assuming you're speccing for just one 3U setup here)
you can replace the sequential switch and one of the clock sequencers with it.
MrDys
wetterberg wrote:
see, I wouldn't set it up to be just gates...

Could you expand on that a bit?

I've been looking at the A152 for awhile now, and no matter how many times I read the manual there's still something about it that doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Might just be one of those modules you have to own and play around with.
dougcl
get the A-152. You'll figure it out.
wetterberg
MrDys wrote:
wetterberg wrote:
see, I wouldn't set it up to be just gates...

Could you expand on that a bit?
well, to me the fun of great logic and clocks is to manipulate that rhythmic information into continuous voltages - with attenuators/mixers and such.
noisesource
i have a similar section in my modular. dedicated only to triggers, gates & clocked utility modules.
tragedybysyntax
I do too!! I'm running with a metalbox sequential switch, pulse divider logic, gated comparator and an oakley lag, vc divider, all in a section with a vcs, miniwave and an ID noise source. I love my top two rows of frac! Then I mix in the zorlon cannon, tap clock and the cv recorder..... IN LOVE with possibilities for rhythm sequences. Need more mixers that's for sure.... what else do you guys recommend with my system for having more structured chaos?
wetterberg
I'd get a seq-02, man. You can clock that from your chaotic stuff to get "voltages you want, but at random intervals".
tragedybysyntax
even with the thought of using volta here soon?
Cat-A-Tonic
The A-189-1 Bit Crusher has a couple of comparator settings that would prove useful for rhythm.

Are you planning a sea of drum modules, envelopes, and gated LFOs to go along with this?
wetterberg
tragedybysyntax wrote:
yeah, I mean I'm investing in a ton of little logic things, like I have two CGS Master Dividers on the bench now, being built... those could arguably also be done in software, but I don't wanna wink

What I want is my computer to provide:

1) master clock.
2) specific, programmed gate sequences, like from a DAW.
3) Some melodic/pitched content.
4) Envelope following.

the rest will be derived from these outputs; master clock will be divided down and fucked up to do the rest of the clocking (otherwise I'd have to get like 32 outputs from the computer... I dont' want that either)

So a lot of Slope Detectors, CGS dividers, homebrew 4017 sequencers, that sort of thing will go in there, along with S+H, noise and so on, and so on...
MrDys
tragedybysyntax wrote:

As excited as I am about Volta (and going to be getting it as soon as possible), the last thing I want to do is deal with software. It's more or less the reason why I went modular at all; I sit at a computer for 8 hours a day at work, and I'm not really looking to do it in my recreational time. I'm out of that game. (For now; a conversation with STG has me excited about Numerology + Volta).

Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
The A-189-1 Bit Crusher has a couple of comparator settings that would prove useful for rhythm.

Neat. I'll look into it.

Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Are you planning a sea of drum modules, envelopes, and gated LFOs to go along with this?

This is sort of a companion piece to the bank of STG Graphic Sequencers that I'm envisioning. Maybe a couple more envelopes for good measure.

wetterberg wrote:
well, to me the fun of great logic and clocks is to manipulate that rhythmic information into continuous voltages - with attenuators/mixers and such.

See, you put ideas into my head and this is what you get.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1