MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SANDIN, LZX & beyond...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author SANDIN, LZX & beyond...
nihilist
Hey there,

I have been using/generating material with a Sandin lately.
I have the Jones M-VIP coming to me this week.

My question here is:
Looking to get some LZX pieces,
BUT...
what LZX would (IF) play nice with
the M-VIP ???

I should also mention I have a rack Microtime Time Base Corrector,
if that factors into this question.

help
revmutt
nihilist wrote:
Hey there,

I have been using/generating material with a Sandin lately.
I have the Jones M-VIP coming to me this week.

My question here is:
Looking to get some LZX pieces,
BUT...
what LZX would (IF) play nice with
the M-VIP ???

I should also mention I have a rack Microtime Time Base Corrector,
if that factors into this question.

help

The LZX requires two basic modules: video encoder, sync generator. Assuming you are interfacing with a modular synth, your decisions are really whether you are going for processing or generating patterns.

The MVIP is basically going to be processing your output signal and it plays great with any modular synth that I've tested.

One option is to look into the adding the Ramps module and either the blending matrix or fader to the two required modules.
kultbox
Andy, why don't you stop over this weekend ( are you still in Chicago hmmm..... ). Lars from LZX will be in town all weekend and this is exactly the kind of thing we will be talking about and working on - along with getting hands on this analog video stuff-kinda better than working with abstractions and opinions on the internetz! thumbs up
lizlarsen
You can use the MVIP as an extension of your LZX system by running the Color Video Encoder's output through it. So it would be like having a voltage controlled proc-amp on your final output. The CV scaling is a little different (MVIP expects the usual EuroRack +/-5V bipolar signals, whereas the LZX modules output and expect 0-to-1V signals on all modules), but that's just something to be aware of, you can use Voltage Bridge to convert. But a lot of context depends on what kind of overall system you're using.

In case you had not heard, there will be a few Sandin module clones released for the LZX system, both as kits and assembled modules. Differentiator and Function Generator for LZX will both be released soon.
nihilist
I just saw this Chicago demo thing this weekend.
I JUST rsvp'd.

I feel it imperative that I be there for this....
GUH

I did hear about the clones.
lizlarsen
See you tomorrow!! thumbs up
LEVLHED
Chicago demo thing? huh wha?
daverj
The MVIP could go at either end of the chain. You could run through the MVIP and then feed that into the genlock input of the LZX, and process it further. You'll lose the color doing that. But mixing it with oscillators into the encoder will still create lots of colors.

Or as was said already, run the LZX into the MVIP to process the LZX further.

If you have a video mixer with TBC inputs (Videonics, Panasonic, etc...) then you could mix/wipe/key the two using that. Or mix the LZX with other video devices in the mixer and then feed that into the MVIP.

Or ....
lizlarsen
Quote:
Or ...

Exactly. thumbs up
nihilist
Mixers...

I've been thinking about these lately as well.
Any of you use mixers?

If so,
which are your faves
and why?
lizlarsen
It was really great to meet you on Saturday!

Everyone seems to like the Panasonic WJ-AVE5 / WJ-AVE7 type mixers quite a bit, I think. I have a Videonics Mixer but the output is a little laggy for instant cutting/switching and it's less hands on as far as selecting things (more menu-driven and needs to be used with a preview monitor.) If you want to use an old production switcher you need to make sure everything is synchronized (via TBCs or Genlock) before it goes in, usually.
nihilist
Lars,
YES
it was great meeting you as well!
applause

What make/model was that security gen lock camera you had running?

PS-Dan Sandin was here at school today
doing an impressive presentation and demo of the Sandin.

A real treat!
lizlarsen
Quote:
What make/model was that security gen lock camera you had running?

Pelco MC3710H. They are hard to find, but usually cheap when you find them! It's a monochrome camera, which means the genlock doesn't have to lock a color subcarrier -- consequently that makes the circuitry less involved and therefore less expensive (that's my assumption anyway.)

Quote:
PS-Dan Sandin was here at school today doing an impressive presentation and demo of the Sandin.

Awesome! Rob was telling me you were a student at the SAIC. Dan mentioned to me via e-mail that he was doing that, but it was after I'd already made my travel plans, or else I would have definitely stayed for that lecture/presentation. I've never had the chance to see an IP in person. It was really incredible to have Dan show up for our workshop, meeting him was a really big honor for me, and I was really happy with how much he liked the LZX system.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1