MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

WSU Electronic Music Ensemble Winter 2009
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here  
Author WSU Electronic Music Ensemble Winter 2009
panda30y
This is a recording of the WSU electronic music ensemble's performance on 4/9/2009. This semester we had a 5 piece ensemble including forum members Waz and myself, along with our classmates Dilan, Aaron, and Doc. There are 7 movements to our performance which were loosely based on Dante's Inferno.

Unfortunately, this is a poor recording from a video camera and I tried to salvage what I could. We had a nicer recording all set up with channels straight from the mixer and a stereo pair of 414's for a room mic, but somehow something got messed up and we had no recording.

I believe this is the first thing that either Waz or I have posted to the tunes section, so I hope everyone enjoys it, and hopefully I can get the soundcloud links to work.
Movement 1
Movement 2
Movement 3
Movement 4
Movement 5
Movement 6
Movement 7
Waz
Yaay!
headbang
Waz
Seriously???? No Comments on our crappy recording?

Maybe if we told them that the ensemble had a 300 pound polyfusion, Arp 2600, 3 x Jx8ps, 2 x roland sh-101s, a thingamakit, roland sampler, roland tape echo, custom Gibson SG, jp8000, and electronic drum set......they'd listen to it.
Band
rezzn8r
still workin' my way through them.
getting a bit of an FSOL vibe in places, cool
panda30y
Thanks for the comments rezzn8r, at the very least you have appeased Waz for the time being. I get a little FSOL vibe too. We have 7 movements, so we sortof touch a bit on quite a few vibes in my opinion.
ex_dead_teenager
I'm really liking this so far, particularly movement 4, great dark triphop stuff.

And the fact that it's based on Inferno is rad as well.
ex_dead_teenager
The recording isn't great, you're right, but it's live! I mean you're lucky you managed to get a recording of it at all seeing as how you weren't able to get it straight off the mixer.

just out of curiosity how did you decide to do something based on Inferno and how do you see each movement corresponding to the poem?

I think I get that "The Angelic Moment" is refrencing the opening of the City of Dis and Movement 4 "The Sight of it all" is probably in refrence to Dante's first impressions of Hell? (with the Acheron and the sight of those Hell rejected...?)

I'm kind of all about Dante right now so I hope you don't mind the hella geeky questions.

Movement 7 is probably my favourite, along with number 4. Musically they capture styles I enjoy. The others are good too. It's too bad I couldn't see this performed. Did you really have all that gear?

Also in Movement 7 one of the samples sounds like Jello Biafra am I just confused due to the ghetto nature of your recording or did Biafra make an appearance?

As for the sound of the baby I didn't really notice it but then again it's sort of fitting, after all what's hell with out screaming and crying?
panda30y
ex_dead_teenager wrote:
The recording isn't great, you're right, but it's live! I mean you're lucky you managed to get a recording of it at all seeing as how you weren't able to get it straight off the mixer.

just out of curiosity how did you decide to do something based on Inferno and how do you see each movement corresponding to the poem?

I think I get that "The Angelic Moment" is refrencing the opening of the City of Dis and Movement 4 "The Sight of it all" is probably in refrence to Dante's first impressions of Hell? (with the Acheron and the sight of those Hell rejected...?)

I'm kind of all about Dante right now so I hope you don't mind the hella geeky questions.

Movement 7 is probably my favourite, along with number 4. Musically they capture styles I enjoy. The others are good too. It's too bad I couldn't see this performed. Did you really have all that gear?

Also in Movement 7 one of the samples sounds like Jello Biafra am I just confused due to the ghetto nature of your recording or did Biafra make an appearance?

As for the sound of the baby I didn't really notice it but then again it's sort of fitting, after all what's hell with out screaming and crying?

Sorry about not getting back to this post sooner! eek!
Thanks for the compliments by the way.

We had to brainstorm ideas for the first 2 weeks because we wanted a common theme to work on for the semester. My friend Waz came up with the idea, and it was really the only solid idea we could come up with. Thankfully we went with his idea, my idea would've been to perform an hour set to two episodes of He-Man or a single episode of MacGyver which i doubt anyone could possibly take seriously.

We originally set out to do 9 movements for each circle, with us progressing modally through a key and with the last 2 movements becoming more dissonant and atonal. We realized pretty quickly we weren't going to be able to collectively write 9 movements before our performance date because we only meet once a week for 2 hours over 3 months, and some things got lost in the shuffle since using so many different instruments we didn't have a standard method to transcribe all of our sessions, just rough notes on form and settings. So I guess someone (perhaps the professor) decided that we could do 7 and some movements would overlap 1 or 2 circles I suppose. We came up with a narrative for each movement and composed everything to convey the feeling and environment.

I probably agree with your opinions on mvt 7 and 4, those are my two favorite, with 7 we just threw in everything and there were no samples but live processed vocals. And yes, we did have all that gear, which was fun and required painstakingly detailed notes for all the patches for myself with no preset capabilities.

I look forward to hearing your finished piece though. I'm sure your piece will turn out much better and focused than ours. About half of our pieces were written/rehearsed in 2 weeks due to sheer panic of not having enough material before our performance.
zthee
Monument 4 sounded very nice!
panda30y
zthee wrote:
Monument 4 sounded very nice!

I'm actually not on that one. hihi I took myself out of that movement the day before so I had more time to make massive patch changes to both the ARP 2600 and the Polyfusion modular. But I did contribute my Roland RE-201 to the guitar player.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here  
Page 1 of 1